Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Arson Daily posted:

From waaay back but my wife got me these for Xmas and they're super duper choice.

Also I'm in HNL for new years so me=better than you

Do those seem to be resolable by a competent cobbler?

Enjoy your HNL New Year! I'm based here and off Reserve tonight so there :coal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

eh probably not but I'm not really versed in that so maybe? Ive had a pair of their brown suede boots for years now and wear them all the time and they're holding up nice so I think the quality is there at least

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ugh I might be calling out on new years reserve while still on probation.

I think someone went and got me sick.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

No I don't think it's that.

can’t park there mate

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Rolo posted:

Ugh I might be calling out on new years reserve while still on probation.

I think someone went and got me sick.

3/4 supervisors at work (including myself) are down with colds this week, two of my students last week were sick when I cancelled on them because I was sick. I don't know if this is COVID or what the gently caress is going on right now, but it's very bad at the moment. I don't love masks, but I hate losing most of a paycheque and feeling like trash so I might just go back to wearing them until people learn to keep their sick, gross selves inside until they're well.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Called off Christmas because of terrible norovirus which is apparently going around where I'm at but if you're sick you're sick and don't go giving whatever you've got to others. You made the right choice!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah I ended up calling out and I definitely have at least a cold. We got a handful of hours with the new contract so oh well! Time to sit in bed with a book and some video games.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Arson Daily posted:

Called off Christmas because of terrible norovirus which is apparently going around where I'm at but if you're sick you're sick and don't go giving whatever you've got to others. You made the right choice!

as did you. did you know that a norovirus infection can be transmitted with as little as *three individual viruses*? there is a famous case from new york where an infected person dining at a restaurant vomited at her table -- aerosolizing the virus -- and within a week 75% of the other people who were at the restaurant that night were sick. that's all it takes, just breathing the air in the same room :shepface:

on that note has anyone ever had a, uh, bathroom emergency in the cockpit? i have peed in a bottle but that's it

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

on that note has anyone ever had a, uh, bathroom emergency in the cockpit? i have peed in a bottle but that's it

I had a captain poo poo his pants because he thought he could hold it until we landed. We were an empty ferry flight and had plenty of time and fuel to hold. Instead he rolled the dice and we both lost.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

as did you. did you know that a norovirus infection can be transmitted with as little as *three individual viruses*? there is a famous case from new york where an infected person dining at a restaurant vomited at her table -- aerosolizing the virus -- and within a week 75% of the other people who were at the restaurant that night were sick. that's all it takes, just breathing the air in the same room :shepface:

A classic of modern literature:

https://www.theautopian.com/how-i-got-my-navy-callsign-by-making GBS threads-myself-in-an-f-a-18-fighter-jet-twice/

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Sagebrush posted:

Well as a glider pilot I'm supposed to have bathroom breaks regularly on long flights, but I'm ashamed to admit I have never been able to pull it of. Strapped in a 4-point harness, almost laying in the seat in a tiny, maximally aerodynamical cockpit. The flight stick right in front of the joy stick and I'm supposed to pee in a plastic bag and throw it out. I just have never been able to find a position where I could do it. Maybe if I was John Holmes and I could just stick the pipe out of the ventilation hatch.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

We find a place to land, do our business, and carry on?

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Still doing some research into ground schools and came across this: https://www.learnthefinerpoints.com/ground-school

Anyone have any insight, it seems pretty great and people online seem to have a great deal of respect for the people behind it, but like everything on the internet, I am always a bit leery.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Kwolok posted:

Still doing some research into ground schools and came across this: https://www.learnthefinerpoints.com/ground-school

Anyone have any insight, it seems pretty great and people online seem to have a great deal of respect for the people behind it, but like everything on the internet, I am always a bit leery.

Looks like a subscription based deal? I've watched his videos and they seem fine, but I think you're better off paying the Kings $300 and have the material forever.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
One of my former co-workers once landed at a tiny, uncontrolled airport, took an urgent poo poo on the runway, and then left.

The worst experience I've had personally was as a passenger arriving to Hell (also known as Pierre Elliot Trudeau International Airport), on a flight from Purgatory (also known as South Florida). The night before, we'd had dinner at a Mexican joint that my cousin swore was "the best." The seatbelt sign went on for descent, and I'm like "oh gently caress, this isn't good. I can make it 'til we're on the ground, I think." And I did. But because the Quebecois are a cursed form of human life, there were no bathrooms between the jetway and passport control, so there's another ~20 minutes. I got through passport control, I saw the bathroom sign. I nearly made it!

[scene missing]

Cabbie: "Why are you wearing swim trunks? It's fuckin' -20"

Me: "SHUT UP AND DRIVE THE CAR, I don't want to talk about it!"

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

We find a place to land, do our business, and carry on?

It's the carry on that is usually the issue. You either carry on and hold it in, or you don't carry on and call the recovery team.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Kwolok posted:

Jason Miller is pretty great, yeah. I tested that course from the instructor side and from what I remember the content was good, it just wasn’t the curriculum I used regularly. If I recall correctly, I think it’s really designed for and works best if you’re working with an instructor using it as well, but as a solo ground school course I would think it should hold up as well.

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

long live the kings

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PT6A posted:

One of my former co-workers once landed at a tiny, uncontrolled airport, took an urgent poo poo on the runway, and then left.

What's the code for that in the runway METAR?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

What's the code for that in the runway METAR?

Runway friction is reported in the NOTAMs and I sincerely hope it would've covered less than 10% of the runway, and therefore gone without being reported.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
"FICON 5/5/5, 10% turds"

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Aero Crew News says APA is starting a committee to look at folding American's regionals into mainline itself.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

Aero Crew News says APA is starting a committee to look at folding American's regionals into mainline itself.

They just had to wait for Bombardier to completely die, huh?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

Assuming the story is true, this was just a case of which of the majors was going to blink first.

The most recent round of pay bumps have completely broken the "traditional" regional business model, since regionals had to double (or better) their starting pay, which results in a situation where airlines with a wholly-owned regional are now spending way more on payroll, for an airline that's generally pretty crippled by scope, so merging it gives the parent company an opportunity to fill the gaps between the 76 seat RJ's and the ~150 seat 737/A320 that everyone but Delta currently has.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

azflyboy posted:

Assuming the story is true, this was just a case of which of the majors was going to blink first.

It's true but it's not what you think:

While there is strong financial, staffing, and scope relief incentive to merge ENY/PDT/PSA into AA there's been no official announcement of a merger. This is just APA saying they're looking into it the same way DALPA did with Endeavor a while back. The other possibility is that it's a scare tactic by APA to dissuade participation in an ongoing ALPA card drive. For various reasons AA pilot trust in APA is at an all time low and a lot of us are interested in seeing what replacing them with ALPA might look like. APA has not been handling it well at all and has resorting to scare tactics like this:

I wouldn't be surprised if this is APA attempting to tell it's pilots "Only APA can protect you from ALPA regional pilots trying to steal your seniority." I wrote a giant 1,500+ word shitpost about it but decided there had been enough posting about poo poo in here recently.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

KodiakRS posted:

For various reasons AA pilot trust in APA is at an all time low and a lot of us are interested in seeing what replacing them with ALPA might look like. APA has not been handling it well at all and has resorting to scare tactics like this:

I wouldn't be surprised if this is APA attempting to tell it's pilots "Only APA can protect you from ALPA regional pilots trying to steal your seniority." I wrote a giant 1,500+ word shitpost about it but decided there had been enough posting about poo poo in here recently.

Was APA the group that posted about how air travel fatalities have dropped enormously since the 1500-hour requirement went into effect and as part of their dataset included 9/11?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

KodiakRS posted:

APA has not been handling it well at all and has resorting to scare tactics like this:

That's almost as entertaining as Delta putting up those "look how many video games you can buy instead of paying union dues!" posters a few years ago.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I mean I wouldn't trust ALPA either unless I was a delta or United mainline pilot. ALPA famously doesn't give two shits about you unless you're at a legacy. Friends at AA don't seem to trust APA either so Japanese should shrug emoji

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Arson Daily posted:

I mean I wouldn't trust ALPA either unless I was a delta or United mainline pilot. ALPA famously doesn't give two shits about you unless you're at a legacy. Friends at AA don't seem to trust APA either so Japanese should shrug emoji

I’ll never forget working for a Delta regional carrier and ALPA asking us to take concessions, only for Delta pilots to receive their largest profit sharing bonuses ever. Then they hired those same union EXCO members who were pushing for concessions. What a coincidence.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I had heard various lovely things that ALPA had done to the various regional airlines they represented but it really sealed the deal for me that ALPA sucked when ATI wouldn't honor ABEX Air's one day strike in the winter of 2016 or 17. gently caress them for that.

ALPA did great work back in the day but they've been FYGM for decades now

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Arson Daily posted:

I had heard various lovely things that ALPA had done to the various regional airlines they represented but it really sealed the deal for me that ALPA sucked when ATI wouldn't honor ABEX Air's one day strike in the winter of 2016 or 17. gently caress them for that.

ALPA did great work back in the day but they've been FYGM for decades now

Oh yeah, ALPA scabbing on ABX was a real scumbag move. It runs like a corporation, not a union.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Phanatic posted:

Was APA the group that posted about how air travel fatalities have dropped enormously since the 1500-hour requirement went into effect and as part of their dataset included 9/11?

Good lord, I did research on a similar data set for a Capstone project in college and would have been laughed out of the building had I included 9/11 in those stats. :wtc:

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Fuuuuck

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Good lord, I did research on a similar data set for a Capstone project in college and would have been laughed out of the building had I included 9/11 in those stats. :wtc:

I was wrong, it was ALPA:

https://twitter.com/ALPAPilots/status/1678503308720308231
https://trainedforlife.alpa.org/article/training-requirements-keep-our-skies-safe/

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

it's even funnier that excluding 9/11 would've only dropped the figure from 99.8% to 99.5%, just a completely unnecessary own goal

if they were serious they could've just screnshotted the 3701 transcript

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 6, 2024

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Meanwhile ALPA probably supports age 67 or some other FYGM age related bullshit

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

it's even funnier that excluding 9/11 would've only dropped the figure from 99.8% to 99.5%, just a completely unnecessary own goal

if they were serious they could've just screnshotted the 3701 transcript

The problem there is that both pilots had well over the new ATP minimums.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

The problem there is that both pilots had well over the new ATP minimums.

Sure you're talking about the same flight? 3701 was the one where the two idiots core-locked the engines on their CRJ at 41000'.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah i thought the new minimums came out of the colgan air crash, where the pilots just stalled the plane and held the yoke back all the way into the ground, something that you generally learn not to do in the first 3 hours or so of training

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Phanatic posted:

Sure you're talking about the same flight? 3701 was the one where the two idiots core-locked the engines on their CRJ at 41000'.

Yup, I completely read that as colgan 3407