Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

I climbed the most I've ever climbed last season (8.2k) and watching it all go down to 7.2k has been disheartening. Thinking I'll take this month off until Miek comes out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

Concurred posted:

I climbed the most I've ever climbed last season (8.2k) and watching it all go down to 7.2k has been disheartening. Thinking I'll take this month off until Miek comes out

That's a crazy amount of decay. I've been wondering what their formula is. I went from 7.5k to 7.0k for the record.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

Saying it again, the weekly Win 8 missions for the season pass card loving suck. I don’t like Skaar, I don’t like the kinds of decks he goes in. Don’t make me grind out 8 wins with the shitter.

Either make it 4 wins or play 8 games. 8 wins is way too many.

I did those last time by putting the card of the week as a lame duck in an otherwise decent deck

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Don't forget that they justified taking free gold out of reserves since you're getting gold from these extra fun cash-gated missions

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Skippy McPants posted:

Of course I’m doing it in conquest, and missions around new cards are fine, 8 wins is just two loving many.

Not to make you feel worse, but since he's the season pass card, that also means it's going to be the same objective every weekend this month.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
I personally prefer Skaar to Shaw, so I was luckily able to knock out the missions pretty quick. I find it much easier to do on ladder since we can get some easy wins against bots. Even proving grounds seems to be people playing real decks and not snapping back like maniacs.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Skaar can be used in a lot of different decks, but Shaw was pretty strongly stuck in the Surfer meta

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Today I learned that if you get Collapsed Mine and Valley of the Hand, the Valley fills with rocks on turn 5. At least my opponent was equally surprised.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

CapnAndy posted:

Today I learned that if you get Collapsed Mine and Valley of the Hand, the Valley fills with rocks on turn 5. At least my opponent was equally surprised.

This reminds me. I've never had an opportunity to do it before, but I got a middle collapsed mine, skipped turn 2, opponent plays Jeff, I Magik middle, and apparently he didn't have Killmonger. It was an easy win, that they stayed for, so I assumed an idiot bot.

I still chuckled regardless.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Can someone explain to me why this Arnim Zola made 2 copies of the Nimrod at each location? I thought it was meant to make 1.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

CJ posted:

Can someone explain to me why this Arnim Zola made 2 copies of the Nimrod at each location? I thought it was meant to make 1.

Nimrod makes a copy at each location when it is destroyed. Zola makes a copy at each location of whatever it destroys.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah that's one of those interactions that isn't always clear. Zola doesn't just make copies, he destroys the original card and then makes 2 copies. Its why he's so good in a Knull deck

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

ijyt posted:

Help me out goons, you're my only hope

Sadly, you do not have the cards to run any version of Loki. You're pretty close to having the core Shaw Surfer deck, but missing Brood and Sera really hurts. Looking over your collection, the best deck I can see is a Wong/Odin On Reveal list. Something like,

The core Wong > Tiger > Odin package is quite strong at your collection level, and you also have an Iron Lad. He's one of the best cards in the game and slots nicely into the list since every card has a useful ability for him to copy. It's a very no-frills, play on curve and hope to outpower the opponent kinda deck. Sorry if that's not your jam, but I can't see any other cohesive builds with your current collection.

Edit: also, if you can get more keys before the week is over, do it. High Evo and Nebula are both exceptional cards, and the next two weeks of Spotlights are pretty mediocre. If you can snag High Evo you're only a Magik away from running SheNaut, which is a tier-1 deck, and you can still run a bunch of other decent HE lists while you wait to open her.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 6, 2024

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Speaking of, for anyone who doesn't keep a close eye out, the next two weeks are a good time to save Spotlight Keys. Coming up, we have,

Jan. 9th

Hercules: probably bad.
Howard Da Duck: in the conversation for worst card in the game.
WWBN: still decent, but not worth risking keys on post-nerf.

Jan. 16th

Miek: a middling addition to a bad deck. Until it gets something to replace the consistency lost to the Chavez nerf, Discrd is a dead deck.
Annihilus: heavily nerfed, maybe not terrible, but like WWBN, it's not worth spending keys on him unless the other two pulls are solid.
P-Force: archetype defining card for a niche deck.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

Sadly, you do not have the cards to run any version of Loki. You're pretty close to having the core Shaw Surfer deck, but missing Brood and Sera really hurts. Looking over your collection, the best deck I can see is a Wong/Odin On Reveal list. Something like,

The core Wong > Tiger > Odin package is quite strong at your collection level, and you also have an Iron Lad. He's one of the best cards in the game and slots nicely into the list since every card has a useful ability for him to copy. It's a very no-frills, play on curve and hope to outpower the opponent kinda deck. Sorry if that's not your jam, but I can't see any other cohesive builds with your current collection.

Edit: also, if you can get more keys before the week is over, do it. High Evo and Nebula are both exceptional cards, and the next two weeks of Spotlights are pretty mediocre. If you can snag High Evo you're only a Magik away from running SheNaut, which is a tier-1 deck, and you can still run a bunch of other decent HE lists while you wait to open her.

This is actually pretty close to a deck I've been running today and it's a joy to use when your opponent doesn't have cosmo, I'll try your variation, thanks!

e: first game with it had sinister london, that was fun :getin:

ijyt fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 6, 2024

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Skippy McPants posted:

Saying it again, the weekly Win 8 missions for the season pass card loving suck. I don’t like Skaar, I don’t like the kinds of decks he goes in. Don’t make me grind out 8 wins with the shitter.

Just to throw out an option that I haven't seen much, I swapped him for Death in my Deadpool Destroy (the Zola version) as that seemed similar enough to work and it made no discernible difference to my win rate. If anything I've probably played him more often than Death.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Finding a deck to put him in isn't the problem, he goes okay in a ton of decks. I just don't like the slam big bois style of deck, so playing him is nothing but a chore.

The reason I think 8 wins is too many, is that it forces you into either A) a specific style of deck, or B) putting a bad card in a deck you enjoy. If you don't enjoy the kind of deck that the Season Pass card fits into, the 40 wins you're required to farm over the course of the season is a miserable bore. I'd accept the pain if it was something like play 8 games, so people are forced to experiment with the new card, but wins can turn into a slog real fast if you get even a little unlucky. My last week of Shaw wins took almost two hours because I kept low-rolling Crimson Cosmos.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 6, 2024

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
The evo moon girl she hulk deck pasted earlier is a good one to knock out the weekend quest

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I honestly don’t know why Annihilus is being nerfed. I very rarely see the deck and it has several easy/popular forms of counterplay. It even got inadvertently nerfed when Viper was changed shortly after Havok dropped.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Firebert posted:

I honestly don’t know why Annihilus is being nerfed. I very rarely see the deck and it has several easy/popular forms of counterplay. It even got inadvertently nerfed when Viper was changed shortly after Havok dropped.

Statistically, he was a very good card. The basic Anni, Hood, and Sentry package overperformed quite handily. The -2 power hurts that side of his play pattern, but it's confusing why they also nerfed the clutter package with stuff like Debrii since that isn't very powerful.

If I had to guess, someone on their design team wants to make 100% sure that clutter decks are never more than a silly meme and never ever approach being good. If so, bless that nameless designer, cause clutter is zero fun to play against.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Skippy McPants posted:

Speaking of, for anyone who doesn't keep a close eye out, the next two weeks are a good time to save Spotlight Keys. Coming up, we have,

Jan. 9th

Hercules: probably bad.
Howard Da Duck: in the conversation for worst card in the game.
WWBN: still decent, but not worth risking keys on post-nerf.

Jan. 16th

Miek: a middling addition to a bad deck. Until it gets something to replace the consistency lost to the Chavez nerf, Discrd is a dead deck.
Annihilus: heavily nerfed, maybe not terrible, but like WWBN, it's not worth spending keys on him unless the other two pulls are solid.
P-Force: archetype defining card for a niche deck.

This is why I didn't feel too bad about throwing 3 cubes away this week to get Caiera.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Have they ever nerfed high evo?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Wasp used to hit two targets, thing used to give -3 to any number of targets instead of -1 to 3 targets, hulk used to gain power wherever he was instead of only in hand or on board

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

Have they ever nerfed high evo?

A loooooooong time ago. Back in July they changed HE Wasp from -1 on two cards to -1 on one, and Hulk to +2 power with unspent energy in hand or play (he used to get the +2 in deck as well).

He's probably due for another nerf. Hard to target, though, since the modern HE package is only guaranteed three cards: Misty, Cyclops, and Hulk. Of those, I think Cyclops is maybe the only one you could nerf without nuking the Archetype.

Nerfing the Sunspot, She-Hulk duo is another option but I'm not sure what you could do to either card that would leave them in a playable state.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Top 10 Anime Betrayals. I'd've lost if he didn't play HE Thing and debuff his own clutter before I Annihilus'ed it back over.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Oh hey I got lucky with keys! :v:

My other key I was able to get and spend nabbed me Nebula. Was really hoping for HE but I certainly won't complain about getting 2 cards for 2 keys based on how I've heard this can typically go for people.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Was really hoping for HE but I certainly won't complain about getting 2 cards for 2 keys based on how I've heard this can typically go for people.

Ehhhh, most of the whining comes from people who're closer to collection complete and hoping to dodge Variants and 1k Token duplicates. If you're missing a lot of S4/5 cards, weeks like this one are great because 3/4 cards are solid-to-amazing, and even the random draw is likely to be something you don't have.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Skippy McPants posted:

A loooooooong time ago. Back in July they changed HE Wasp from -1 on two cards to -1 on one, and Hulk to +2 power with unspent energy in hand or play (he used to get the +2 in deck as well).

He's probably due for another nerf. Hard to target, though, since the modern HE package is only guaranteed three cards: Misty, Cyclops, and Hulk. Of those, I think Cyclops is maybe the only one you could nerf without nuking the Archetype.

Nerfing the Sunspot, She-Hulk duo is another option but I'm not sure what you could do to either card that would leave them in a playable state.

Removing leech from the game would do a lot

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Skippy McPants posted:

Ehhhh, most of the whining comes from people who're closer to collection complete and hoping to dodge Variants and 1k Token duplicates.

It's not whining. Getting a key is a considerable investment of time and resources, and watching it get burned on 1000 tokens or one of the increasingly lovely 700G variants that have been put in the Spotlights - Legion, looking at you here - feels very bad. And this is by design: SD want the response to a burned key to be spending money to get another. You shouldn't be criticising people for being negative about it.

Now, I am spending keys on Tuesday because while Harold is bad and Herc is fun but no better than mid, I want Bronze Age WWBN. The Annihilus ruination just made it a bit easier, as now I don't want to spend on Miek week at all; Miek is S4 on release so I'll buy him with tokens if he proves decent, and Phoenix Force variants are like Morph variants in that you'll never see them.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Cruised into infinite with this:

Sunspot
Electro
Caiera
Wave
Taskmaster
Blob
She-Hulk
Hulk
Magneto
Giganto
Destroyer
The Infinaut

It plays like an old-style Shuri deck: draw your combo pieces (Blob, Taskmaster, and something to cheat Blob out early), snap, and win.

You also need to either get Caiera out, or recognize when your opponent most likely has Shang so you should get out. And either far less people are playing Shang than you'd expect, or I was just lucky.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Jedit posted:

It's not whining. Getting a key is a considerable investment of time and resources, and watching it get burned on 1000 tokens or one of the increasingly lovely 700G variants that have been put in the Spotlights - Legion, looking at you here - feels very bad. And this is by design: SD want the response to a burned key to be spending money to get another. You shouldn't be criticising people for being negative about it.

Now, I am spending keys on Tuesday because while Harold is bad and Herc is fun but no better than mid, I want Bronze Age WWBN. The Annihilus ruination just made it a bit easier, as now I don't want to spend on Miek week at all; Miek is S4 on release so I'll buy him with tokens if he proves decent, and Phoenix Force variants are like Morph variants in that you'll never see them.

You say it's not whining, but then go on to mention that you're wasting precious keys on purely cosmetic unlocks. I'm sorry, but Spotlight Caches are good. More than that, they're maybe the best thing about Marvel Snap's progression. They allow players to unlock the vast majority of cards for a modest price. Are they perfect? No, but as unlock mechanics in predatory FTP economies go, they are pretty dang mild.

If you want to whinge about Snap's lovely economy, then lets talk about the ongoing reduction in value to Gold Bundles, or the horrible S3 grind, which is my pick for the biggest issue with the game's progression. The amount of time new players are forced to sit in the S3 RNG pool, with zero control over their unlocks, is absurd. It can take months to open enough staple cards to play even one good deck. They desperately need a system like Spotlights for S3 unlocks. Like, give players keys that open caches with four S3 cards and put the cache on the 8-hour rotation so they have some ability to target specific cards.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I had something weird happen with a collapsed mine in a game last night. I skipped turn 2 to get rid of the the rocks from the mine and then I was playing a She Hulk deck so I ended up skipping a later turn as well and it destroyed a bunch of rocks that had been put down by an enemy Debris, only on my side of course, they weren't even in the mine. That seems like it probably shouldn't happen?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

thebardyspoon posted:

I had something weird happen with a collapsed mine in a game last night. I skipped turn 2 to get rid of the the rocks from the mine and then I was playing a She Hulk deck so I ended up skipping a later turn as well and it destroyed a bunch of rocks that had been put down by an enemy Debris, only on my side of course, they weren't even in the mine. That seems like it probably shouldn't happen?

Working as intended.

Collapsed Mine posted:

Fill this location with Rocks. Skip a turn to destroy your Rocks.

It doesn't say "your Rocks at this location." If Mine is in play, skipping a turn destroys all the Rocks on your side of the board.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jan 6, 2024

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

If you want to whinge about Snap's lovely economy, then lets talk about the ongoing reduction in value to Gold Bundles, or the horrible S3 grind, which is my pick for the biggest issue with the game's progression. The amount of time new players are forced to sit in the S3 RNG pool, with zero control over their unlocks, is absurd. It can take months to open enough staple cards to play even one good deck. They desperately need a system like Spotlights for S3 unlocks. Like, give players keys that open caches with four S3 cards and put the cache on the 8-hour rotation so they have some ability to target specific cards.

I'll second this. It was bad that they delayed the drop of so many cards to Pool 3, but what's insane is that they haven't dropped anything to the Pool 2.

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.
drat I want Caiera but don't want to gamble for her since I have HE and Nebula and esp the Nebula variant looks like poo poo

And I don't have enough tokens to buy her :mad:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

The core Wong > Tiger > Odin package is quite strong at your collection level,

I got my first two gold tickets with this :shobon:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Cool. Glad it's working okay for ya.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Skippy McPants posted:

You say it's not whining, but then go on to mention that you're wasting precious keys on purely cosmetic unlocks. I'm sorry, but Spotlight Caches are good. More than that, they're maybe the best thing about Marvel Snap's progression. They allow players to unlock the vast majority of cards for a modest price. Are they perfect? No, but as unlock mechanics in predatory FTP economies go, they are pretty dang mild.

Seriously. You can’t gripe about the Spotlight Cache format and then admit to wasting them in a week with bad cards and one variant you want. Insane stuff. I think the problem comes from people who are close to collection complete just wanting an easier path to getting the few cards they’re missing, but the Spotlights unlock so much more than the pure tokens for everyone else. It’s a good trade off for the majority of the user base.

ijyt posted:

I got my first two gold tickets with this :shobon:

Nice. I didn’t get Wong until pretty late in pool 3, but that combo was beautiful and fun while it lasted.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Got Lady Deathstrike and High Evo with my keys. A few cards dropping down to 3 today or am I thinking of something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Maneck posted:

I'll second this. It was bad that they delayed the drop of so many cards to Pool 3, but what's insane is that they haven't dropped anything to the Pool 2.

Pool 2 is intended to be completed within a couple of weeks of regular play and to give enough of the cards to play with several different core themes. Expanding it won't help players get into the game. What is needed is better targeted acquisition of Pool 3 cards, but SD aren't about to do that because it discourages early spending.