Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I think those tavern/black market interactions give +1 alignment per run, not per interaction.

Also keep in mind that the soul merchant on the respective floor 11 also gives +1 alignment per purchase like the alignment shop keeper at the end of a floor from before, depending on which path you are on (ie Shadow Realm for +1 law etc).

True, it's per run, but hey since you only need +4 or -4 it's still useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I agree the game is still needs some other way to interact with the morality system. Maybe some floors have enemies that if you kill them first before any other 'species' in the floor, you get +1 good or evil, etc. Or some item you can 'touch' modifies it, but it has to be done in a timer.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm certain that alignment will get several more passes throughout the development lifetime of this game. It's pretty barebones right now and not a lot of stuff interacts with it (nor is there stuff to interact with).

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The stuff that DOES interact with it is kind of broken. 40% damage on a charm?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
is the metal guitar broken? the chain lightning from it appears to go backwards instead of towards enemies

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Your Computer posted:

is the metal guitar broken? the chain lightning from it appears to go backwards instead of towards enemies

I've noticed this too, it seems like it does hit when I get close but the screens were so hectic I wasn't sure if it was consistent.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
what exactly are "repeated attacks"?

is it simply when you hold down the attack button (aka. almost all the time) or does it mean something else like attacks that are duplicated?

WarpedLichen posted:

I've noticed this too, it seems like it does hit when I get close but the screens were so hectic I wasn't sure if it was consistent.

yeah but you need to be basically touching the enemy for it to work, it feels very strange

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Some effects specifically grant a repeat, effectively doubling the affected attack. The extra attacks you get this way are repeat attacks and some things specifically modify them (by default, the repeat attack deals 25% less damage than normal, so it's not quite a straight double.)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Your Computer posted:

WarpedLichen posted:

Yeah, if you're close to enemies it will target them, but it feels a bit weird.

Likewise -- playing on a controller -- the aiming reticle weapons feel a bit weird. Holding RT seems to lock it to enemies instead of the targeting reticle, but I'm not sure if it locks on to enemies I'm pointing the reticle at, or how it works exactly. In any case it's pretty clunky especially in situations where you have to move a lot and enemies quickly change positions, and makes me avoid those weapons.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I'm almost done unlocking all the new characters and might stop after giving each of them a whirl, but I have a few pet peeves with the latest version:

1. too much visual clutter in the late game, I absolutely cannot see enemy projectiles if I using rapid fire explosive weapon or the elemental staffs- they absolutely need to be at least color coded by friendly/enemy or something

2. same issue with trash traits and trash weapons - purples feel almost mandatory besides the few busted yellows. Some weapons just feel really under tuned - I got the legendary quad element sword and it has never felt good, same with the flails. Short range weapons are almost never viable because it feels like boss patterns especially are stay the gently caress away now. Also why the hell is the fire fang like 2x as good as the ice fang?

3. outside of boss rooms and armories, items feel way too random - getting a gray/blue out of a weapon chest in floor 10 just feels bad

I really want this game to have the Hades system - rooms are grouped into pools of rewards for reroll purposes, more guaranteed shops, and probably a drastic lowering of top end damage. Also of course fix some of the busted interactions like soul scarf.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah heavily agreed on ... well, all three points. The visual clutter is overwhelming, and the difference between struggling through the later stages with an otherwise good short range sword, and getting a huge laser gun that could hit enemies from outside the screen was huge.

And the RNG definitely feels a bit too R at times.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I was using an overpowered Kazoo as a bard which shot out a ton of red notes that return back to you and basically obscure any incoming enemy projectile. Also I ended up fighting the Pied Piper boss who also shoots out a bunch of red notes. It was almost impossible to tell the difference between the notes. Just make either your projectiles or the enemies projectiles a fixed color and then the opposite can use all colors but that one.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I had a run with the Dragon's Breath and an absolute boat load of attack speed and basically couldn't see enemy projectiles at all. I'd love a opacity on player projectile slider or something.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Pain of Mind posted:

I was using an overpowered Kazoo as a bard which shot out a ton of red notes that return back to you and basically obscure any incoming enemy projectile. Also I ended up fighting the Pied Piper boss who also shoots out a bunch of red notes. It was almost impossible to tell the difference between the notes. Just make either your projectiles or the enemies projectiles a fixed color and then the opposite can use all colors but that one.

Desaturate/dim player attacks and put them on a separate layer that draws underneath enemy attacks. Bullet hell shmups have been doing this poo poo for decades, it's absolutely fixable.

On a related note, I've sometimes been hit by lasers that were wider than the warning indicators suggested. If an attack comes with a warning saying "attack will hit this area", and you're not standing where it says will be hit, then you shouldn't get hit by the attack.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Desaturate/dim player attacks and put them on a separate layer that draws underneath enemy attacks. Bullet hell shmups have been doing this poo poo for decades, it's absolutely fixable.

On a related note, I've sometimes been hit by lasers that were wider than the warning indicators suggested. If an attack comes with a warning saying "attack will hit this area", and you're not standing where it says will be hit, then you shouldn't get hit by the attack.

Most lasers seem pretty generous but some of Primal Death's starburst laser patterns are really bad about this.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

If you guys get a chance, please report the lasers you've had hitbox issues with to either the discord's bug-reporting channel or the Steam discussion page. I've already reported a few of these and seen them get fixed but there's a lot of lasers in the game.

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

What if they added colour-coded outlines for projectiles, where your own projectiles have a different colour compared to enemy ones?
Honestly when it comes to the colours used the only ones that feel consistent are the ones used for poison and curse.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Captain Flame Guy posted:

What if they added colour-coded outlines for projectiles, where your own projectiles have a different colour compared to enemy ones?
Honestly when it comes to the colours used the only ones that feel consistent are the ones used for poison and curse.

Custom color coding would be great, allow it for the rarities as well because I have a hard time telling the difference between rare and legendary until I walk up to the item on the pedestal.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

How do the elemental effects like Scorch work? It feels like those effects are punching way above what they're supposed to now. It's almost like a giant multiplier on all the damage you deal.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Are red dice rerolls able to generate armories? What happens if you reroll an armory (before going into it, with a red die)?

I had a run that didn't get a useful new weapon after level 5 or so, because I ran dry on bombs and the last two armories were both blocked by rubble :argh:

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 6, 2024

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Are red dice rerolls able to generate armories? What happens if you reroll an armory?

I had a run that didn't get a useful new weapon after level 5 or so, because I ran dry on bombs and the last two armories were both blocked by rubble :argh:

You can reroll preset rooms like armories and they just get rerolled into whatever. I have the backup armory perk on because I want some of the perks beyond it but the backup armory sucks so if I have dice to spare I almost always reroll it.

I'd swear that I've seen armories appear outside of the preset ones so... maybe you can roll one up, but they're so rare I wouldn't count on it. Probably better to just hunt for dragonslayer chests and whatever appropriate class chests.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
https://i.imgur.com/0iDmihg.mp4

Sometimes you just have to crank the heat down and let your friday oatmeal brain take over.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
is there a way to get lawful points other than buying from the law shop?

i'm trying to get to whatever boss is behind that since it's my next objective but having to spend all of my souls on (often completely useless) trinkets and being unable to ever upgrade my hearts, stamina or stars sucks :negative:

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

The dice guy in the tavern gives law and that's the only other thing I can think of.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Your Computer posted:

is there a way to get lawful points other than buying from the law shop?

i'm trying to get to whatever boss is behind that since it's my next objective but having to spend all of my souls on (often completely useless) trinkets and being unable to ever upgrade my hearts, stamina or stars sucks :negative:

Yeah, dice guy once per run is the only thing I can think of. Just buy the cheapest things you can and think of it as tax.

30 souls per upgrade is really steep for an upgrade that usually doesn't make too much of a difference, I'm a man with no shame so I just pay 10 souls for 2 soul hearts instead.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

WarpedLichen posted:

30 souls per upgrade is really steep for an upgrade that usually doesn't make too much of a difference, I'm a man with no shame so I just pay 10 souls for 2 soul hearts instead.

where are you getting this option? :eyepop:

e: i mentioned it before but i feel like my runs are extremely feast or famine - either i deal so much damage i don't have to look at the screen or i deal so little damage that regular rooms start taking minutes

are there any bonfire upgrades that could help with this?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Your Computer posted:

The Soul Scarf. It gives you a Soul Heart every time you chug a potion, and you can pay 10 souls to refill your potions at a bonfire.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Your Computer posted:

e: i mentioned it before but i feel like my runs are extremely feast or famine - either i deal so much damage i don't have to look at the screen or i deal so little damage that regular rooms start taking minutes

are there any bonfire upgrades that could help with this?

If you're using mana draining weapons, more mana is an easy DPS boost. Sometimes getting an extra heart or stamina means you can drop a defensive armor in favor of something with offense bonuses.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

They need to stop showing winstreak so prominently. Its making me not want to play the highest cinders. Or just track winstreaks on each cinder separately.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

No Wave posted:

They need to stop showing winstreak so prominently. Its making me not want to play the highest cinders. Or just track winstreaks on each cinder separately.

Are win streaks still only to Death on Floor 10? The highest cinders where there's automatons and enchantment effects everywhere is honestly too much of a visual mess for me.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The damage ranges for some weapons are just wacky. I had a run where I got a body armour that doubled my mana stars. After equipping that the top end damage of my staff was 41600. The bottom end damage was 320.

Yeah, when I rolled high, poo poo just vanished. But then there were long rear end periods of time where that didn't happen.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

I just play on cinder 12, twice enchanted/boss enchantments/doomed to fail/boss robot minions are just miserable to deal with imo.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

this is usually what I run - there's the odd really lovely enchant combo, but otherwise i feel this is a good level of spice

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I don't think any of them increase the difficulty in a fundamental way except the combination of double enchantment/triple mobs/boss enchantment, which is where things get absolutely ridiculous (but kind of cool). Though Doomed to fail will just end your run early at times in a pretty uninteresting way.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Doomed to Fail is muuuuuch more manageable nowadays that it actually gives you a real trait instead of either locking out that level completely or giving you a permanent malus. Especially with the increased abundance of obsidian dice and the new Trait Knowledge books.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Oops I forgot which one doomed to fail is. I meant the one where you start with one heart no flasks.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

I actually really like the one where you start with 1hp and no flasks, it makes the first floor actually feel tense/like it matters literally at all. Also means you have a reason to care about early sources of healing/defense instead of being able to basically just sleepwalk through like half of the game.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I noticed that this thread had 311 posts earlier so I started a run as a Troubador and ended up with nothing but a book of songs and a few dozen bombs :ohdear:

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
The multiplicative nature of them makes it hard to evaluate but here's

robocicero's personal tier list of how much a pain in the rear end a cinder modifier as the 16th modifier

Completely forgettable (sorry)
Poison lasts longer
Bosses have 25% less health in the first phase and 25% more health in the second

Applies downward pressure on a run in an interesting way
More cursed rewards
Spiked doors (honestly, anything to give bombs more use)
-2 Inventory Slots
Centurion X invaders: I love the way these guys bust through the wall. They always do it partially through an encounter and their patterns are fundamentally very fair, so as a 16th choice I rank them pretty low compared with the others!

Build to break streaks / force meta choices:

+3/2/1 second cooldown to dash : I will always forget this on floor 2 and try to dash on cooldown
Start at 1 HP/0 flask charges: With bonfires you can re-up at floor 2 with the souls from floor 1
Inferior weapon: A huge problem that is ameliorated by the meta that forces floor 1 boss to offer An Actual Weapon
Hidden 1st trait choice: This ends up something that doesn't contribute to your power curve 75% of the time but this can sometimes just end a run if you pick the one that locks you into 50 equip load. The +5 starting XP meta means you are only 7 XP from an actual choice and gives you a chance to get lucky with your first one.

The Grip Tightens
3x enchanted enemies: As a 16th choice it makes non-boss rooms coinflip on if they're enchanted. I pick the 50% fewer enchanted enemies meta just because without it (or with the corresponding upgrade) just about every room is filled with beer kegs and black holes.
Remote Guardians: This is so much higher than Centurion X just because these guys are in boss rooms. With everything else going on having two guys body blocking and denying random areas...it sucks! The fact they come back for phase 2 even if you kill them is just insult on injury.
Bad Enchantments: Enchanted bosses/double enchanted bosses would be so much easier if meteor, prism, party wasn't in the pool.
Double enchanted: The additional noise of having a second enchantment is absolutely wild, especially on bosses.

UGH:

Suppressed damage: Half damage against bosses for a total of 16 seconds is funny to put on here, but genuinely it's the only thing forcing you to actually deal with the patterns instead of sawing through them with any decent build
Enchanted bosses: The flip side of the coin: you can take all the time against bosses you want if you're dealing with their base patterns and not having to worry about marching laser beams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This game does a great job of making so many playstyles viable, like half the posts I read in here surprise me because the way people value things is so totally different from the way I do. How does the 50% equip weight talent end runs, that's one of the best talents in the game IMO and I take it every time I see it :gonk: You still get more than enough equip weight to wear valuable pieces (gloves mostly) and you get 100% crushing hit!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 6, 2024