Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Truga posted:

i would give anything for a gear shifter that automatically keeps me at 100-120rpm at all times

Electronic derailleurs can do this now.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 10:15 on Jan 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

evil_bunnY posted:

Yeah italian drivers are 100% sociopaths.
IT was the first european country i went to (study abroad) and the very first thing was taking an extremely shady taxi whipping through tiny blind alleys at high speed and swerving all over the place. genuinely dont understand how more pedestrians dont get killed but we made it to our hotel and no pedestrian was hit, so alls well that ends well. second thing i saw was people just driving up halfway onto to grassy medians and parking their car half in the street half on the median. also some old lady yelled at me because i watched her back her car into another one and mangle it.

still way safer than americans all in all

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

not sure where this came from, but I've heard a couple times something along the lines of "southern europeans drive aggressively but not dangerously, americans don't drive aggressively but do it more dangerously".

idk, the right response is to laugh in nordic or something?

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Xaris posted:

IT was the first european country i went to (study abroad) and the very first thing was taking an extremely shady taxi whipping through tiny blind alleys at high speed and swerving all over the place. genuinely dont understand how more pedestrians dont get killed but we made it to our hotel and no pedestrian was hit, so alls well that ends well. second thing i saw was people just driving up halfway onto to grassy medians and parking their car half in the street half on the median. also some old lady yelled at me because i watched her back her car into another one and mangle it.

still way safer than americans all in all

if it is any consolation, a non-shady taxi would've driven the same way.

Also a lot of pedestrians die, the issue just has no political traction because italy is extremely carbrained to boot and now we have a hard right minister for transport who has decided to all in on the carbrain for his political calculus.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

500excf type r posted:

You can ride a horse on the trail but you have to scoop the poop, otherwise no horses allowed imo
Then they expect you to show all kinds of special consideration (horses are dumb as rocks and spook so easily), then the poop doesn't always get scooped, and before you know it MTB riders just dont' bother anymore.

The way they reversed it was rightly considering the spooking to be a training issue, and if your horse can't handle passing/being passed by a bike it shouldn't be on a mixed use trail, and a liberal amount of stalking poop-offenders and yelling at them, then escalating to poop-yeeting when that didn't work. This is all second hand from the local MTB folks but the snickers they let out when retelling it make it credible to me. Apparently someone got hit in the neck with their own horse's poop, and proceeded to never show their face again lmao.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i dont really understand how the gears on my bike work

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

lobster shirt posted:

You dont really need them, you can take every one but your favorite off ("single speed") or superglue the whole drive train together ("fixed gear")

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html

just fill this out, it's simple

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Are there actually trails where horse riders are expected to clean up after themselves?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

Like, how to use them? Basically, they're there to make your legs go the same speed regardless of the speed the wheels are spinning.

Or, if you ask my kid, the eighth gear is the highest and thus the best.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

BonHair posted:

Like, how to use them? Basically, they're there to make your legs go the same speed regardless of the speed the wheels are spinning.

Or, if you ask my kid, the eighth gear is the highest and thus the best.

this melts my dumb brain tbh

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retro-direct

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

lobster shirt posted:

Lower gears make the pedalling easier by giving you more mechanical advantage (the ratio between the front gear and the rear gear), but makes you go slower/have a lower top speed for any given pedaling cadence

Higher gears let you go faster, but the pedaling exerts more effort

Starting from a given gear, somewhere in the middle, establish a cadence of your pedaling. If your legs are moving faster than the cadence, shift to a higher gear - this takes more effort, which will slow down your cadence. If your legs are falling behind the cadence, shift to a lower gear - this makes it easier, which will let you catch up and maintain the cadence.

LIterallyABikeshop
Nov 13, 2023

lobster shirt posted:

big gears in front make the chain move more which makes the back wheel spin more

smaller gears in back translate the chain movement into even more wheel spin

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Are there actually trails where horse riders are expected to clean up after themselves?

I don’t get why they shouldn’t. I’m expected to clean up my dog’s poop

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

my union is filing suit against congestion pricing because members might live not near transit.

idiotic reason. they can drive 10 mins to a park and ride in li or nj and take a bus or train to keep their car out of downtown.

^^^
dog crap is everywhere especially on weekends and holidays when their dog walkers are off

Real hurthling! has issued a correction as of 18:33 on Jan 6, 2024

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

people really do think and behave as if roads and parking spaces are a naturally-occurring gift from God, in which the State has no involvement

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Real hurthling! posted:

my union is filing suit against congestion pricing because members might live not near transit.

idiotic reason. they can drive 10 mins to a park and ride in li or nj and take a bus or train to keep their car out of downtown.

^^^
dog crap is everywhere especially on weekends and holidays when their dog walkers are off

are you part of that united federation of teachers org?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

are you part of that united federation of teachers org?

yeah uft is on the wrong side of everything the bosses are probably just mad cause their office building is in the congestion zone. majority of us rank and file dont work in the zone.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

webcams for christ posted:

people really do think and behave as if roads and parking spaces are a naturally-occurring gift from God, in which the State has no involvement

around here whenever they take away parking or lower speed limits or reconfigure lanes, people shout that it's a public right of way and that their taxes pay for it and the govt can't just decide to change it.

you can't win

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

weird how the #1 car fatality country is Liberia, which is kind of an America surrogate

e: also why is it so much lower in Canada?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

what is the best way to make my rear end less sore from getting back into riding. padded pants?? better seat?? do squats?

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
just ride more

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

weird how the #1 car fatality country is Liberia, which is kind of an America surrogate

e: also why is it so much lower in Canada?

Nobody lives in Canada

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

^^^

My union decided its main push now is for free parking, so I left. They're already toothless for being in a right-to-work state, so the least they could do is advocate for something that doesn't make the world worse. Parking is not even a dollar a day, and we have two overlapping bus systems here.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Real hurthling! posted:

yeah uft is on the wrong side of everything the bosses are probably just mad cause their office building is in the congestion zone. majority of us rank and file dont work in the zone.

ah that sucks

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

the list is also really interesting to sort by deaths per 100,000 cars

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

my bony fealty posted:

what is the best way to make my rear end less sore from getting back into riding. padded pants?? better seat?? do squats?
In general people don't recommend padding/gels for longer rides because they can cut off circulation, but for short commutes I don't see an issue.

Making sure the fit is good is a good start (perhaps start with google but consider asking a bike shop for the service), and that may require a new seat.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

my bony fealty posted:

Does your seat fit your butt?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCivZhUmq2E

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

my bony fealty posted:

Does your saddle fit your rear end? Theres different widths and they can measure your bones to find a fit. That's step zero.

Past that you've got two options. If you want to ride fast and hard, you get stronger, wear padded pants, lean forward more and use your core and your legs to keep most of your weight on your legs the whole time you're riding. If you are wearing out your wrists, back, or butt then your core isn't strong enough or you're trying to go too far too early.

If you want to ride slowly and comfortably, you get a touring saddle, maybe even a sprung one, a bike that can fit big soft tires, and swept bars. That's a setup that will be kinder to your rear end while letting you sit upright.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

what does the thread think of these cool electric cars

I want to see what Dahir Insaat does with this concept before I rush to judgement.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

:rip: king

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
i like how that trike car leans in

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

He's 90 % to blame for the fixie fad ever metastasizing from the drugged out bike messangers of 2-3 US cities.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the virgin fixie vs the chad single gear

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I rolled with a coaster brake on a single speed for a while which was very fun. Stripped and built up an old Schwinn varsity. The bike weighs like 40 pounds the varsity frames are insanely heavy and solid.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Groda posted:

He's 90 % to blame for the fixie fad ever metastasizing from the drugged out bike messangers of 2-3 US cities.

that's ok

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Groda posted:

I question how a man whose primary bike had sixty-three speeds could be the greatest proponent of fixed-gear bicycles.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

802.11weed posted:

just ride more

getting back into bike commuting this summer, my rear end really hurt. quickly enough it adapted and was fine, but i was like, what exactly gets tougher?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Rauros posted:

getting back into bike commuting this summer, my rear end really hurt. quickly enough it adapted and was fine, but i was like, what exactly gets tougher?

It raises your constitution stat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rauros posted:

You develop natural rear end pads like a baboon.