Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Thundarr posted:

Can anybody think of something that would cause a warlock's Mage Armor (from Armor of Shadows) to spontaneously fall off? A friend is getting pissed that theirs keeps falling off and they don't notice until a fight has started, and they insist they cast it first thing after every long rest and they're not wearing armor. I'm at a loss to explain what might be happening.

Are they casting it and then removing it from their active spells for the day? Because that’ll make it fall off, too.

Jay Rust posted:

After another disappointing level-up, I kinda want to spec shadowheart out of her trickery domain. Could someone who is good at d&d lore tell me, which other domain makes the most “sense” for her Shar-ness? Thx

There’s a note you can find that says she was sent on her mission to be the healer, so I think Life isn’t too much of a stretch.

lost old man posted:

Co-op’ing with a friend of mine

Maybe we should have done solo games first?

Yes. For the love of god go play it on your own. You can play it with your friend, too but there are thousands of choices available and you owe it to yourself to get to decide them yourself before getting railroaded into what your friend wants to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

After another disappointing level-up, I kinda want to spec shadowheart out of her trickery domain. Could someone who is good at d&d lore tell me, which other domain makes the most “sense” for her Shar-ness? Thx

It's not Cleric, but I honestly like Shadowheart as a Gloomstalker Ranger. It doesn't mesh with the "She was the healer in the group" thing, but that's text from one book in one place and it's otherwise fairly fitting for her. Gloomstalker is all about being sneaky death from the shadows, and the Sanctified Stalker favored enemy is 'trained to hunt the enemies of a religious order, gain proficiency in Religion', so it still has a very Sharran feel to it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Ginette Reno posted:

Calm emotions should fix it

I just long rested on a reload where the same thing happened but the PC was ok.

Also I'm at Thorm showdown and I killed Isobel but now she's back. he hasn't mentioned me being durge and his knowledge of me again. Seems like flags are hosed up.

E: It thinks I adbuceted her?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I feel like a lot of the hard fights like Orin are me getting destroyed when I try to talk normally, but then my 2nd try I stay far away and throw a Spectre bottle and suddenly it's just easier. Same with the Cazador fight.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Omg if you cast darkness on living enemies in the shadow lands they turn lol. I just ran into the gith and discovered this l.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

JBP posted:

Omg if you cast darkness on living enemies in the shadow lands they turn lol. I just ran into the gith and discovered this l.

Oooh; that’ll be fun to play with next time.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Khizan posted:

It's not Cleric, but I honestly like Shadowheart as a Gloomstalker Ranger. It doesn't mesh with the "She was the healer in the group" thing, but that's text from one book in one place and it's otherwise fairly fitting for her. Gloomstalker is all about being sneaky death from the shadows, and the Sanctified Stalker favored enemy is 'trained to hunt the enemies of a religious order, gain proficiency in Religion', so it still has a very Sharran feel to it.

I really like this idea! Plus she loves animals so the Beast Tamer background fits perfectly as well

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

This game is clearly a spreadsheet and RNG wrapped around graphics and sound doing the heavy lifting, but goddamn does it lift

I’ve played hentai dating sims less horny that this game and I’m loving every second

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

JBP posted:

Does this mean you can use oathbreaker paladin to get a pet gith inquisitor?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Geekboy posted:

Are they casting it and then removing it from their active spells for the day? Because that’ll make it fall off, too.

Warlock, so all their spells are prepared at all times. At least I'm 99% sure you can't un-prepare the Mage Armor you get from the warlock invocation.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

lost old man posted:

Co-op’ing with a friend of mine and he attacked and killed the zhents too because they’re “evil thieves” and “gently caress these assholes.” He does this every time he comes across an npc he doesn’t like. We’re constantly fighting people who are either just minding their own business or they offer a quest that sounds like a crime and he’s like “nope, I don’t do quests for evil people.” He pouted for an hour because the hag got away after the fight and he didn’t get to kill her outright. He yelled at me for doing the boots quest in the underdark and accused me of “siding with slavers” even though doing the quest and then killing them are not mutually exclusive.

Neither of us have finished act 1 and have no idea what’s going to happen later on. I keep trying to tell him that removing npcs from the game is probably cutting us off from good items or story bits but he doesn’t care. I know there’s no “wrong” way to play this game but it’s all very unsatisfying. Maybe we should have done solo games first?

Killing the Zhents isn’t a big deal. On my first play through I didn’t even find them and on my third I forgot and accidentally opened the box so then I had to kill them.

Honestly I think playing through with your friend and then playing through again solo could be a great way to go because they’ll turn out so different and the game is so big you can’t get all the outcomes at once anyway.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Zhents you can kill but keeping Irish halfling baddie Roah Moonstone alive through Act 2 gets you some pretty sweet gear.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, we were actually talking about this in the thread not too long ago, you shouldn't feel bad about killing the Zhentarim. I certainly did. They turn hostile at the drop of a hat, and they're slavers, so gently caress 'em.

e: however, if he's constantly killing neutral NPCs without consulting with you, you're within your rights to tell him to cut it out

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

If you wipe out the Zhents under the inn, does Roah still sell things in act 2 or does that piss her off too much to deal with you?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

You can tell her you killed the Zhentarim at the Goblin Camp and she’ll be like “aye I’m impressed” in the way all murdering thieves guilds in video games are.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Shumagorath posted:

“Evil is not rewarding” is a good indicator for any RPG if you ask me.

Originally I felt a little unhappy that taking an evil route meant you lost so many companions and quests and didn't gain very many evil alternatives to make up. Then I saw part of an interview with the developers who were talking about it as an intentional choice. If choosing evil just means that you get a different set of henchmen and quests with goatees attached, it isn't very much of a meaningful choice. If you make the evil choices to murder all the tieflings or kill everyone at last light inn, then the consequence is that your world is a little emptier, a little bleaker, and you end up with fewer paths and fewer friends. That's the actual outcome of selfishness and violence; the world isn't an endless decanter that refills with new people to suit your style. If you make the choice to invest in the world and other people, you are rewarded with a more complex world and more interactions within it. Doing the opposite means you end up more isolated and alone.

The fact you can playthrough so many different ways makes this work better, because if you do an evil playthrough and then a good one, you'll see how different the world actually ends up for all those cumulative choices.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

exquisite tea posted:

You can tell her you killed the Zhentarim at the Goblin Camp and she’ll be like “aye I’m impressed” in the way all murdering thieves guilds in video games are.

Similar situation at Moonrise you can tell the Bugbear merchant that you murdered Dror Ragzlin and instead of being mad or sounding an alarm he just goes 'Oh sick, I heard that guy was pretty tough, have a discount on my goods'.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

exquisite tea posted:

The Zhents you can kill but keeping Irish halfling baddie Roah Moonstone alive through Act 2 gets you some pretty sweet gear.

She's not Irish, she's West Country!

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

lost old man posted:

Co-op’ing with a friend of mine and he attacked and killed the zhents too because they’re “evil thieves” and “gently caress these assholes.” He does this every time he comes across an npc he doesn’t like. We’re constantly fighting people who are either just minding their own business or they offer a quest that sounds like a crime and he’s like “nope, I don’t do quests for evil people.” He pouted for an hour because the hag got away after the fight and he didn’t get to kill her outright. He yelled at me for doing the boots quest in the underdark and accused me of “siding with slavers” even though doing the quest and then killing them are not mutually exclusive.

Neither of us have finished act 1 and have no idea what’s going to happen later on. I keep trying to tell him that removing npcs from the game is probably cutting us off from good items or story bits but he doesn’t care. I know there’s no “wrong” way to play this game but it’s all very unsatisfying. Maybe we should have done solo games first?

Your friend is a jackass. :sever:

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I’d just roll with it in the coop game and do a solo game for story stuff :shrug:

It’s easy to end up missing stuff even in a coop group that’s trying to be diligent about seeing the dialogue. You can just see how everything ends up differently in another playthrough.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Rolling with it encourages Lawful Stupid. Play with them in something else unless you’ve got a twitch channel doing a gimmick run. In that case by all means do it for the content.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Just got to the Shadowlands and man this is just a slog. It's like the game just hit a wall.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Really? That’s one of my favorite parts of the game

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

If you mean having trouble with the shadow curse, then I recommend quickly getting to either Moonrise Towers or Last Light to fix that problem. Or just having a lot of casters with the Light cantrip in your party.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Lol, no sooner had I posted that then I came across some folks and now I have a permanent solution to the curse!

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

lost old man posted:

That's roughly how my multiplayer experience has gone.. The four of us are now in Act 3 together and a lot of the action still defaults to killing.

We're having fun, but I think that the multi experience does feel a little undercooked, and it took us some time to get better about communicating "hey i'm going to talk to x person" so that others listen in to the conversation. (We tried the auto-listen option that was added, and I like it but the other guys find it disruptive.)

What helped me was to start my own solo campaigns that don't get ahead of the multiplayer progression. I've got a bard on easy mode who just finished Act 2, and a dark urge in honour mode in Act 1.

It's been very, very striking to play my bard and encounter so many more characters and quests and whatnot. I don't feel like we missed out in multi, I'm just impressed that the game can stretch and contract in all these different ways without breaking

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

10 Beers posted:

Lol, no sooner had I posted that then I came across some folks and now I have a permanent solution to the curse!

Oh yeah the game immediately trivializes it in multiple possible ways, I don’t know why they even bothered with the mechanic

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Honor mode grym trip report:

it doesn’t have ranged attacks so I just activated it and ranged attacked it to death from the stairs

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I have a small question about the epilogue after finishing this up yesterday evening. Minsc was in a prison cell awaiting execution by Zhents. One of the dialogue options is to tell him that the Zhents are running security for the city in the aftermath of the destruction. But at no point in the game did I side with them. I missed the hideout in act 1 entirely and I sided with the guild in act 3. Is this a bug in my epilogue or does it always work out that way or what’s going on?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

E: misread

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
What's the best build that synergises with the various Illithid powers you can get? Thief, maybe, and hope you get the Illithid powers as a bonus action from the Zaith'isk?

Most of the powers seem aggressively mediocre or detached from the rest of the game mechanics.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Oh yeah the game immediately trivializes it in multiple possible ways, I don’t know why they even bothered with the mechanic

Because someone will die to it and show up in this thread mad even if the title is “Illuminate for the love of god”

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

Gort posted:

What's the best build that synergises with the various Illithid powers you can get? Thief, maybe, and hope you get the Illithid powers as a bonus action from the Zaith'isk?

Most of the powers seem aggressively mediocre or detached from the rest of the game mechanics.

If you go full squid, especially as minor actions, it's basically a class on its own. A bunch of the later ones are crazy powerful and/or do very unique things. Thief is good to get the extra minor action.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Psionic Overload is amazing for a Magic Missile build since it applies 1d4 damage per flechette. All the illithid powers count as "conditions" for the purposes of applying vulnerabilities like Reverberation and Mental Fatigue so even taking the reactions like Charm and Psionic Backlash are really effective at quickly stacking up status effects.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Gort posted:

Some combination of fighter and rogue/thief will maximize your total actions available. A sword bard / thief / fighter with most of those powers and the ability to use them with any action is a goddamn terror.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Black Noise posted:

Because someone will die to it and show up in this thread mad even if the title is “Illuminate for the love of god”

Ha, that's what was throwing me off. I was using torches but having to spend a move equipping your weapon was kinda lame.

I also cast Light on some party members but was never really sure if it helped.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Light does work

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Gort posted:

Most of them seem 'mediocre' because they're meant to work with any build, but I can write up a quick list of my thoughts.

Avoiding any of the powers you can get via the (Start of Act 3) Astral Tadpole/Half-Illithid option, because they're all various flavors of busted:

• Psionic Overload: Benefits greatly from the second spoiler you mentioned. +1d4 on a very rarely resisted damage type is extremely good and gets better the more attacks you get, so Thief Rogue, Monk, and Fighter can all cash this in for a pittance.
  • Favorable Beginnings: Pretty useful but not in combat, just useful in general for getting yourself into and out of trouble with various NPCs.
  • Force Tunnel: Mostly good for repositioning or forcing people off ledges. A little niche but when the niche is "battlefield mobility" it's hard to say it's bad. Improves greatly from the second thing you mentioned.
  • Concentrated Blast: Bad, too restrictive. Technically supposed to appeal to casters (and weaponized against casters) but chances are the spell you were concentrating on is more important that the 3d6 psychic. Technically made better by what you described but why are you wasting a Concentration Spell to do 3d6 damage?
  • Transfuse Health: Insanely good. A big ranged heal that doesn't cost spell slots is invaluable. It'll also use temporary hit points/Aid in its calculations, too so this can get really powerful as a panic button.
  • Stage Fright: Actually pretty good, it's a powerful debuff and can do a little bit of extra damage, especially for a character who makes a lot of attacks. It ends early if they succeed on an attack roll, though, so maybe make sure they have to fight targets with increased AC.
  • Ability Drain: Tricky. The debuffs stack but only one can apply per person so it requires your whole party be in on the Worm Train. Can get really debilitating if it costs someone a +1 or a +2, though, and if spellcasters use a spell attack I think it applies Ability Drain based on your spellcasting modifier. Best applications of this are Strength, Dexterity, and Wisdom - penalizing and enemy's Charisma/Intelligence is basically never worth it.
  • Luck of the Far Realms: Insanely good for anyone who likes to Crit Nova, so Rogues (Sneak Attack), Paladins (Smites), and Barbarians (Brutal Critical) all enjoy having this. It's 1/LR though because it's absolutely cracked, so if you're gonna use it make sure it counts.
  • Charm: Kind of situational and not really worth it, imo. Could be useful against casters getting hit by melees, but Larian followed the standard 5e rules of "an enemy in combat with you has advantage on saves against Charm", so this is going to be at best kind of inconsistent.
  • Displace: An extra 1d8 Psychic on falling damage is laughable. Basically only useful if you're taking the absolutely busted T3 power that requires it as a prerequisite.
  • Repulsor: Basically Thunderwave, with all the pros and cons that implies. Obviously it improves greatly from the second spoiler you mentioned.
  • Psionic Backlash: This rules but it basically means you have to give someone Concentrated Blast, which as noted sucks dog turds. Still worth it for the chance to blow up an annoying spellcaster with your mind, but not a must-take given the prerequisite.
  • Cull the Weak: Not bad if you're funneling all the tadpoles into one character, but kind of extremely meh otherwise.
  • Shield of Thralls: Incredible. A Temp HP shield that gives a chance of stun when it's broken is fantastic, even more so when it improves. Only usable 1/SR, because it's fairly strong.
  • Perilous Stakes: An interesting skill. Its intended use is good on Barbarians (who can mitigate some of the downside of being vulnerable) or characters who can make enough attacks that the vulnerability is worth the cost of healing (again: Monk, Thief Rogue, Fighter, doubly so if said character is Hasted). I say intended because you can cast Perilous Stakes on an enemy to make them vulnerable to all damage (and it uses INT Saves which are mostly dogshit across the board, so the chances of it landing are high). The second use wasn't intended (and is disallowed on Honor Mode as a result), but it's still useful if you have a way to offset the penalties. It's strong so naturally it's 1/LR.
  • Survival Instinct: Not on the list of powers, you only get this by (Act 1 Spoilers) letting Omeluum investigate your tadpole. It's basically a 1/Short Rest Death Ward, which can be cast on anyone and is mostly "okay" until you improve it but is extremely good once you do.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 6, 2024

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I have a small question about the epilogue after finishing this up yesterday evening. Minsc was in a prison cell awaiting execution by Zhents. One of the dialogue options is to tell him that the Zhents are running security for the city in the aftermath of the destruction. But at no point in the game did I side with them. I missed the hideout in act 1 entirely and I sided with the guild in act 3. Is this a bug in my epilogue or does it always work out that way or what’s going on?

Yes basically the two outcomes for Minsc in the epilogue are in Zhent jail or (if you convinced him and Nine-Fingers to work together) working with the Guild protecting the Illithid wreckage from looters

I'm guessing if you didn't have that conversation with them then it probably defaults to the former?

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Cross-Section posted:

Yes basically the two outcomes for Minsc in the epilogue are in Zhent jail or (if you convinced him and Nine-Fingers to work together) working with the Guild protecting the Illithid wreckage from looters

I'm guessing if you didn't have that conversation with them then it probably defaults to the former?

Ah ok, thanks. Should of played around with the dialogue tree more I guess