Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Frank and Ernest

(9/15/1993)

(9/16/1993)

Ziggy

(6/29/1971)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

THORN, January 19-25, 1983

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Phantom shot old man Mozz. Finally.

Saving Mozz's O-face (with or without BLAM) for use as a reaction image.

goatface posted:

Steamboat era Mickey, now with S*P-voice.

Tiggum posted:

It is remarkable how quickly he slipped back into it. It really seems to be the only thing he can write.

The thing is, I don't mind the Randy-voice here. Probably because this isn't supposed to be based on the century-long-established Mickey Mouse characters, he's explicitly branching off from the very start in a different direction, for humorous effect. And you know what? It works for me.

If, instead, he'd been handed a normal Mickey strip to run in newspapers, this poo poo wouldn't fly, the same way it isn't flying in Popeye.

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

Oof, topical. :rip: Fruit Stripe gum.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: With Love From Rufus

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

riderchop posted:

Zippy The Pinhead

What Fuller failed to realize was that all those corners are hard to keep clean. I've seen listings of old geodesic structures on housing sites and they're all mold traps.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Mercury Hat posted:

Yeah, the average person isn't likely to encounter a bat unless A: it's out in daylight like this which would mean it's ill or B: there's an established colony in your house and one gets through to your living space. The latter is a big risk because bat bites are so small, you can't always tell if one's bitten you or another person while asleep. It's not always a "get rabies vaccines immediately" problem, but you should consult with a doctor if you come in contact with one (or any unexpected wildlife encounter, really).

Bats do have a higher risk of carrying rabies than some other animals in the United States, even if the inverse (most bats aren't rabid) is also true. https://www.cdc.gov/rabies/animals/bats/index.html

If this story beat where a man finds a bat in the daylight and gets bit was the first time we'd heard about bats in a good long while I'd have no beef with it. It's good to know not to mess around with bats. But we just came back from the hospital where a man, admittedly while being a dumbass, just got mauled by a bat colony. It's the multiple incidents in quick succession that makes it start to feel like Jules just loving hates bats. Like next week is a bat going to break into Professor Bee Sharp's house and turn him into a vampire? It's a bit much.

Luann

Gil Thorp

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

:byodood: KALE

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

She never asked you to help though!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

We're well into the era where the art was deteriorating on this strip, but that's an amazing expression on the gorilla. :newlol:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

mycatscrimes posted:

She never asked you to help though!

:actually:

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts (January 8, 1977)

Linus and Lucy get iPad

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

riderchop posted:

Linus and Lucy get iPad

Oof. Fixed.

Might as well use this as an excuse to add some Mafalda to the thread.

e: because I can't spell today either. A fun day all around.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 6, 2024

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Lol forgot that, jokes on me

God everyone in this comic is so stupid

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Val's face in panel 6 is a look that just screams "God ain't stealing *this* kill from me."
I'm getting about 30% "how did none of them put this together yet" and 70% compiling a precise order of events about to befall the three kidnappers.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

EasyEW posted:

Oof. Fixed.

Might as well used this as an excuse to add some Mafalda to the thread.

same girl same...

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Kennel posted:

Into Ilves

I was just about to ask where the piglet was in all this and ÖH!, there he is!

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I admit I don't know a lot about the rules of baseball- what does him getting cracked right in the brainpan mean for the teams? What happens here, rules-wise?

Live ball, motherfuckers! Runners are now free to advance (if they were standing on the base at the time, otherwise they gotta tag up first)

If it's caught before it hits the ground, it's an out - can't double up the runners if they already tagged, because the rule is from when the defense first touches it, to prevent an outfielder from intentionally juggling a ball while he jogs in to freeze the runners. If it touches the ground, then Copper needs to get to first before someone gets there with the ball to prevent a force out.

If it smacks Planck so goddamn hard that the ball shoots into the dugout - it's a double. Ball needs to go a minimum distance (I'm thinking 180 or 200 feet) for a ricochet into the stands a la Jose Canseco counts as a home run.

Jose - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QixQMUu4CKI

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

... man, I really miss PB Max bars.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The Dingbat Family/The Family Upstairs(July 9, 1910)

Baron Bean(January 8, 1916)

Positive Polly/Polly and Her Pals(December 7, 1912)

Gasoline Alley(August 27, 1919)

Us Boys(August 8, 1911)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Does baseball not have any dead ball rules? If the guy is leaking out of a cracked skull the play just continues?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it depends on whether or not he is a demon

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

goatface posted:

Does baseball not have any dead ball rules? If the guy is leaking out of a cracked skull the play just continues?

there are some dead ball rules.

-un-fieldable foul ball/foul ball makes contact with the ground
-If a batter is hit by a pitch
-If there's a balk (i.e. pitcher does a motion that implies he's going to pitch but does not)
-Obstructing the runner
-Fair ball hits a runner or umpire before being touched by a fielder
-spectator interference
-umpire calls time out
-An object (or perhaps a bird) intercepts the path of the ball on a pitch.

and a few more, but weirdly enough there isn't a dead ball rule for a fielder getting absolutely cold-cocked by a batted ball, unless an umpire was to call time as a result.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 6, 2024

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Picayune posted:

... man, I really miss PB Max bars.

The candy I think about most often from childhood is the the Marathon bar. A lot of kids loved it but the grocers hated it because it took up twice the space of a regular candy bar at the register. A piece of me says, "Dude, it's just a double-size Curly Wurly" but it's the principle of the thing, dammit...

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

BRING BACK BUTTERFINGER CUPS

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'm allergic to chocolate/nuts so all I get are Smarties, and (to many people's chagrin) we will always have Smarties.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I didn't know about the "UAP" thing, which didn't help that I originally read this:

fun game: imagine a Compu-Toon version of this!

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary :drac:

Caption It!

"Caption It!" is a new cartoon caption contest that runs every week in this space. Are you creative? Do you have a weird sense of humor? Then send us a submission along with your name and town!
Email entries to captionitcartoon@gmail.com or go to @caption_it_cartoon on Instagram to comment/like.
Remember to keep captions brief and clean. Good luck!

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Angry_Ed posted:

there are some dead ball rules.

-un-fieldable foul ball/foul ball makes contact with the ground
-If a batter is hit by a pitch
-If there's a balk (i.e. pitcher does a motion that implies he's going to pitch but does not)
-Obstructing the runner
-Fair ball hits a runner or umpire before being touched by a fielder
-spectator interference
-umpire calls time out
-An object (or perhaps a bird) intercepts the path of the ball on a pitch.

and a few more, but weirdly enough there isn't a dead ball rule for a fielder getting absolutely cold-cocked by a batted ball, unless an umpire was to call time as a result.

One exception to your list - pretty sure the ball being live / dead on hitting an ump depends on the depth of the fielders.

If the infielders are deeper than the ump, it's a dead ball. If the ump's behind the infielders - live ball, baby. I guess it's not so much if a player touched it as if they would've had a chance to touch it. (Apparently rule 5.05(b)4 )

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

im guessing in this case of a player clearly being knocked out, especially one in the base path, time would be called and copper would have been given a double. though if planck is holding on to the ball maybe he's not that out of it?

regardless this would clear the benches in the us

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Doomykins posted:

Getting mad in advance about Weegee losing all her cash. Or maybe they'll realize money doesn't trump love when it's gone. Oh well.
It's making me extremely uncomfortable how quickly he's spending all her money.

1. Having the name of a vegetable in the title doesn't mean it's healthy.
  2. They're not meant to be eaten cold you weirdos.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Cauliflower also owns. It's good cooked basically any way. Cauliflower wrapped in kale and toasted or baked so the outside gets a little crisp sounds amazing.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Caphi posted:

Cauliflower also owns. It's good cooked basically any way. Cauliflower wrapped in kale and toasted or baked so the outside gets a little crisp sounds amazing.

Yeah when I was a child it took me years to be ok with broccoli for whatever reason but I never had a problem with Cauliflower.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It helps if you have access to aloo gobi in your life.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

Having a 6-month old currently and in awe how well this strip draws toddlers 0-1 years old.

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

im guessing in this case of a player clearly being knocked out, especially one in the base path, time would be called and copper would have been given a double. though if planck is holding on to the ball maybe he's not that out of it?

regardless this would clear the benches in the us

Yeah, this is an unwritten rules type thing. In the infield like this? Runners move up to the next base and stop, so that A: Someone else on the field can't rip the ball out of Planck's cold, dead hands and throw you out by a good 30 feet, and B: to stop the play as soon as possible to let him get some medical attention.

Outfielder knocks himself out against the fence tracking a long fly ball? Runners are off to the races, it's all you think you can get before one of the other outfielders hustles over and gets the ball in.

EDIT:
Just realized I forgot to back up the archduke! The situation as shown, where you can't get the ball out of your first baseman's hands because rigor mortis has set in? Catcher's gonna deck the first guy to get to the plate, and the benches are gonna clear

thisusedyet fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 7, 2024

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

I'm really enjoying this strip.
Yeah, Bernice is terrible, but what the gently caress is Luann doing here?

F MInus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

"I know I said Rene was gonna turn a new leaf but that was last year okay let's move on already"
gently caress you, Beatty, for choosing the lazy path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Gee Whillikers, Rex! Your arch-nemesis might...key your car, or troll you on Facebook