Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Artelier posted:

What...what keycaps are those......the body is weak..........

(It's really a gorgeous design!! Well done on that combination)

I think it was KBDFans NP profile set called "1950s". But it doesn't seem to be available anymore, so as always, lusting after another man's keyboard will only leave you sad and wanting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
stupidly didn't get a hot swap body for my dactyl manuform when I built it last year, so I spent 9 hrs the other day desoldering every switch and replacing them with elf silents. (change from box whites)

so silent and quiet now.

mewse
May 2, 2006

ziasquinn posted:

stupidly didn't get a hot swap body for my dactyl manuform when I built it last year,

Hot swap dactyl manuform bodies? Disgusting! Where? Where do they sell these? Gross!

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
diykeyboards.com has some options for hot swapping switches.

also comes with everything you need.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I just want to say that I got myself an Akko 50575B Plus as a little Christmas gift to myself. Bluetooth for my work laptop, 2.4G for my personal computer, nice tactile switches, nice thocky sound. Profile is neat. The look resembles those Signature Plastics caps but it feels much more GMK, in other words it types beautifully. Comes with a bunch of spare/decorative keycaps in accent colour (white in my case). Also has RGB, although it's not really fancy in my opinion. And hot swappable, in case I tire of these switches (they're fine though)! It's perfect for me.

Wife got envious and bought herself a somewhat more colorful full-size akko, which was on sale and thus priced more affordably.

I think it's really neat that you can get really good keyboards these days at or below 100 bucks. Considering inflation and all, that's the same money you would have paid for a passable rubber dome ten years ago. Golden age of keyboards, man.

Dimestore Merlin
Jul 14, 2007

Obey your Spider-Lord

oh no computer posted:

I've been going down the keyboard rabbit hole on Youtube recently and I want to give a split keyboard a try (preferably also columnar/ortholinear if that's the right word) but these things seem expensive and while I don't mind spending the money if I know I'm going to like the result, I'd rather not spend a fortune on something there's a chance I'll hate. What's the cheapest way to dip my toe in? Is there a way of getting something similar to, say, the ZSA Voyager but without having to spend the best part of £400? I'm just looking to see if I like the layout and can spend more money at a later date if I do.

I'm in the UK if this helps. I could probably procure a soldering iron, though I haven't soldered anything for 20+ years.

You might want to try and get in on the Elora. Run through their composer tool and it'll give you everything you need including price. I did one that came out to 187 euro, but that's sans switches and caps.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Looking for a wireless TKL bluetooth keyboard that can switch easily between windows (gaming) and macOS (coding). I don't really know anything about switches etc, but I liked the Razer green switches on my old Razer Blackwidow - clicky and don't take much force to type on.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"

oh no computer posted:

I've been going down the keyboard rabbit hole on Youtube recently and I want to give a split keyboard a try (preferably also columnar/ortholinear if that's the right word) but these things seem expensive and while I don't mind spending the money if I know I'm going to like the result, I'd rather not spend a fortune on something there's a chance I'll hate. What's the cheapest way to dip my toe in? Is there a way of getting something similar to, say, the ZSA Voyager but without having to spend the best part of £400? I'm just looking to see if I like the layout and can spend more money at a later date if I do.

I'm in the UK if this helps. I could probably procure a soldering iron, though I haven't soldered anything for 20+ years.

mechboards.co.uk are pro, I soldered together a Iris Rev2 which I liked so much I built a second one to take to work

switches and caps I got off Ali Express for maybe £50 total and then the case I got 3d printed.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Chas McGill posted:

Looking for a wireless TKL bluetooth keyboard that can switch easily between windows (gaming) and macOS (coding). I don't really know anything about switches etc, but I liked the Razer green switches on my old Razer Blackwidow - clicky and don't take much force to type on.

There's a lemokey keyboard that has three different Bluetooth profiles and if you are good at profile programming , you can do a lot with the via programming site (which is open source and can download and run yourself)

Had no clue about Razer Green but it looks like it is equivalent to Cherry Blues and you can take it from there for the other brands

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

EVIL Gibson posted:

There's a lemokey keyboard that has three different Bluetooth profiles and if you are good at profile programming , you can do a lot with the via programming site (which is open source and can download and run yourself)

Had no clue about Razer Green but it looks like it is equivalent to Cherry Blues and you can take it from there for the other brands
Thanks, I've spent more time than I'm willing to admit looking at keyboards on amazon and the variety of switches is wild. I was close to buying an EPOMAKER thing but realised I had no idea what the switches would be like and they didn't line up to the classic colours that I remembered (budgerigar? wisteria?). Lemokey doesn't seem easy to get in the UK, aside from this beast , which is almost ideal, but I'd prefer something without the extra macro keys. I might go for one of the more basic Keychrons with blue switches though!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Chas McGill posted:

Thanks, I've spent more time than I'm willing to admit looking at keyboards on amazon and the variety of switches is wild. I was close to buying an EPOMAKER thing but realised I had no idea what the switches would be like and they didn't line up to the classic colours that I remembered (budgerigar? wisteria?). Lemokey doesn't seem easy to get in the UK, aside from this beast , which is almost ideal, but I'd prefer something without the extra macro keys. I might go for one of the more basic Keychrons with blue switches though!

A lot of companies that have been making Cherry MX compatible/clone switches will give them a different name that may or may not relate to the original. Like with the Kailh box switches there's shades of blue ones like navy or pale blue that are clicky, sort of like the Cherry MX Blue is clicky, but they're also a bit different feeling and have a different click mechanism. What once was a choice between Blue (clicky), black (linear), brown (tactile), and some variants like green or grey or white or clear has become hundreds of different switch names and they don't always follow the color scheme. So it's better to shop by the type with clicky, linear, tactile, and then the weight. They can also feel different depending how they're made, though, so there's a ton of variety. I have a 72 key switch tester which is interesting but still doesn't cover a lot of switch types. Even with a big switch tester you only get one of each kind of switch so it's not indicative of typing on a whole keyboard full of them.

If you don't know what a particular variant switch is like there's probably an article on deskthority's wiki or geekhack talking about it and maybe some youtube videos reviewing keyboards with it to try to help. None of those quite match typing on things, though, so it can be beneficial to order from somewhere with a good return policy. Keychron is also bad at customer support so we always recommend getting them on Amazon if possible instead of through their store.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Reserved for future use.

post an update you coward

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
also hi, I bought a Razer Blackwidow keyboard like a year ago because I'm a loving moron and the keys frankly feel like they have a long distance to travel and the tactile sensation feels fucky, so my typing speed and accuracy on it is really lousy. I'm wondering if mechanical keyboards are just not for me or if that's fairly atypical of an experience because I bought whatever mechanical keyboard was cheap to try it out.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
When I first changed from laptop-style scissor-switch keys to a mechanical keyboard, my accuracy and speed suffered as well. The first mechanical switch I typed on was Gateron Browns, which didn't have much tactility to speak of compared to the scissor switches I was used to, and the comparatively long key travel is something I also experienced and struggled with a bit. However, after a while of trying out other switches, I discovered I either got used to it or found the ideal switch type and weight to get my speed and accuracy (both mid tbh) back to where it was before and then beyond after a bit. Turns out I really like medium-weight linears (typing on 62g Bobagums right now).

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

also hi, I bought a Razer Blackwidow keyboard like a year ago because I'm a loving moron and the keys frankly feel like they have a long distance to travel and the tactile sensation feels fucky, so my typing speed and accuracy on it is really lousy. I'm wondering if mechanical keyboards are just not for me or if that's fairly atypical of an experience because I bought whatever mechanical keyboard was cheap to try it out.

It's Razer. That can be a pretty good summation for why it feels the way it does.

I've gone through cheap to 200+ keyboards, and there is definitely a feel difference between them, even if they say they are using the same type of switch - in my case Linear.

I'm sure there's a website somewhere that will list the actuaation point of Razer keyboards. If it feels off, and you want to continue to find a "right" keyboard, then I'd look at ones where the actuation is higher.

There are also Hall Effect switches. Steelseries has made one for a while now, and I believe Razer and I think Logitech do now as well. These don't have a physical point where it activates the switch, thus you can actually set how far the travel is to activate. Now these keyoards are not cheap. The Steelseries one is almost 200 bucks.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Looking for a new office keyboard to replace my old one with a few dying keys that I don't want to deal with unsoldering and moving around.

I'm looking for good quality (not allcaps brand), brown switches, full size, and hot swappable, and I'm having a hard time finding all four of these things. I'm willing to spend $150 (+/- $50) for something that's going to last.

I like this Das Keyboard one, but it's not hot swappable.

Like others have said in here, this is a massive rabbit hole and I figured I would check here first before I dug myself any deeper.

Edit: Should mention, I'm a grant writer, so I am literally actively typing for like 6+ hours a day, so longevity and quality are important to me.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Rexxed posted:

A lot of companies that have been making Cherry MX compatible/clone switches will give them a different name that may or may not relate to the original. Like with the Kailh box switches there's shades of blue ones like navy or pale blue that are clicky, sort of like the Cherry MX Blue is clicky, but they're also a bit different feeling and have a different click mechanism. What once was a choice between Blue (clicky), black (linear), brown (tactile), and some variants like green or grey or white or clear has become hundreds of different switch names and they don't always follow the color scheme. So it's better to shop by the type with clicky, linear, tactile, and then the weight. They can also feel different depending how they're made, though, so there's a ton of variety. I have a 72 key switch tester which is interesting but still doesn't cover a lot of switch types. Even with a big switch tester you only get one of each kind of switch so it's not indicative of typing on a whole keyboard full of them.

If you don't know what a particular variant switch is like there's probably an article on deskthority's wiki or geekhack talking about it and maybe some youtube videos reviewing keyboards with it to try to help. None of those quite match typing on things, though, so it can be beneficial to order from somewhere with a good return policy. Keychron is also bad at customer support so we always recommend getting them on Amazon if possible instead of through their store.
I ended up getting a Keychron k4 (not tkl but smaller than my current KB) which seems to be compatible with most switches. I feel as though I'm teetering on the precipice of financial ruin if I get 'into' keyboards, so I'm hopeful that the switches it comes with are adequate...

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023

stealie72 posted:

Looking for a new office keyboard to replace my old one with a few dying keys that I don't want to deal with unsoldering and moving around.

I'm looking for good quality (not allcaps brand), brown switches, full size, and hot swappable, and I'm having a hard time finding all four of these things. I'm willing to spend $150 (+/- $50) for something that's going to last.

Like others have said in here, this is a massive rabbit hole and I figured I would check here first before I dug myself any deeper.

Edit: Should mention, I'm a grant writer, so I am literally actively typing for like 6+ hours a day, so longevity and quality are important to me.

Keychron K10 might work for you, but I would order it from Amazon because Keychron has a bad reputation for customer support

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Dirac Fourier posted:

Keychron K10 might work for you, but I would order it from Amazon because Keychron has a bad reputation for customer support
Should have also mentioned that I prefer wired because I'm a cranky old man that doesn't want to deal with bluetooth/batteries/charging. Looks like this might be my huckleberry: https://www.amazon.com/Keychron-Mechanical-Keyboard-Hot-swappable-Backlight/dp/B08CNBBHQ1/ref=sr_1_3

Is there any significant quality difference between Keychron's own label switches and Cherry switches?

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023

stealie72 posted:

Should have also mentioned that I prefer wired because I'm a cranky old man that doesn't want to deal with bluetooth/batteries/charging. Looks like this might be my huckleberry: https://www.amazon.com/Keychron-Mechanical-Keyboard-Hot-swappable-Backlight/dp/B08CNBBHQ1/ref=sr_1_3

Is there any significant quality difference between Keychron's own label switches and Cherry switches?

Ha.. I'm also a cranky old man that prefers wired keyboards. I'm a Cherry switch hater because the "cherry ping" sound drives me crazy. I've never used Gateron switches though so I can't speak to their quality vs. Cherry. Hopefully someone else will jump in and answer that one.

Kailh is my favorite switch manufacturer after trying Cherry and Akko because there's no ping and they make heavy switches. I really like the 60g+ (vs. typical 40g) activation force on my Kailh Burnt Orange tactile switches and Kail Box Jade clicky switches.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Dirac Fourier posted:

I've never used Gateron switches though so I can't speak to their quality vs. Cherry. Hopefully someone else will jump in and answer that one.

They're basically the same at this point, with some Gateron switches having a higher quality than their cherry counterpart.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

Dirac Fourier posted:

This is my very first visit to the keyboard thread because I had a poor experience trying to buy from Keychron and this is the first post that I read. I tried to get the K5 Pro from their website because they don't have it in white on Amazon. They emailed me and said they wouldn't ship the product because my order tripped their fraud alert and showed me that they couldn't confirm my billing address and my CVV. They wanted me to email them a photo of my ID with name and address and a photo of the card with my name and the last 4 digits exposed. Absolutely not. In the meantime, Amex had accepted and processed the charges from them without issue, so I don't understand what the problem was.

I really like that full size low profile keyboard, but i want it in white, so I guess I'll wait and see if they put that on Amazon eventually.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
You dodged a bullet. Never ever order anything Keychron except through Amazon. Just file a dispute with the carrier and get your money back.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
Yeah, they processed the refund very quickly, so at least that part of their service was decent.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

stealie72 posted:

Shouldn't matter, you can connect the K10 with USB.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

stealie72 posted:

Epomaker TH96 has a wired variant. It's out of stock on their website and they don't sell it on Amazon. I used the wireless variant with a wired cable and it worked out fine.

As far as switches go, if it's hot swappable, you can always switch them out later if you don't like them. I'm sure the keychron one's are fine.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I've finally gotten into and become fond of my Keyboardio Model 100. The biggest stumbling block with the layout wasn't the modifiers like I expected, but I never typed perfectly normally, and the sculpted keys really depend on home row basics. (I could type 90 wpm before so I really didn't care to do it "properly".)

Now the challenge is I'd kinda like a second one for home, but christ they essentially cost double what I paid on Kickstarter. Part of that is I dislike the current switch options and would for sure want to replace them.

mewse
May 2, 2006

stealie72 posted:

The ducky one 3 series (stupid name) is hot-swap and ducky has always had really good build quality.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I vouch for teh ducky

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Gonna hold out for the Ducky Three 1 Series

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
Also vouching for the Ducky One 3, one of my favorite keyboards that I own. Just a fun little thing. Only downside I found is that if you want to remap keys you kinda can't and that stinks!! (mostly an issue for layers which honestly I figure if people buy a 60% in the first place they aren't using the keys but still worth mentioning I think)

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space
bought a little pack of u4t 62g and 68g to try them out

thanks again, jerks

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"

gnatalie posted:

bought a little pack of u4t 62g and 68g to try them out

thanks again, jerks

I have these and they are extremely pro. very satisfying thock.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I still want to buy a Keychron keyboard and would have already if it weren't so loving difficult to figure out what model to buy. Can anyone give advice about this?

What I care about:

- Full metal construction
- Not being the "tray" kind - i prefer the kind where the keys are exposed and mounted on a flat surface. not sure I'm describing this correctly
- Wireless
- Has a knob
- Mac layout

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 7, 2024

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

- Not being the "tray" kind - i prefer the kind where the keys are exposed and mounted on a flat surface. not sure I'm describing this correctly

"Floating keys" I think is the phrase for what you're describing there

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

"Floating keys" I think is the phrase for what you're describing there
Yeah that's the ticket, seems a lot easier to keep clean underneath.

Also I could do another brand and live without the knob. Mac layout is the most important thing honestly. It seems like Keychron is the only brand that offers all of these features. It's too bad their website is actively oppressive to customers.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I still want to buy a Keychron keyboard and would have already if it weren't so loving difficult to figure out what model to buy. Can anyone give advice about this?

What I care about :

- Wireless
- Has a knob
- Mac layout

I had one Keychron on order then canceled it for the K17 Pro and dont regret it. The way youre describing number 2 makes me think its the style youre looking for, its low profile so it limits customization. Its pretty metal-y to me, and is wireless if you want it to be.

You didnt state how full a keyboard you wanted, this one is missing pretty much just the End key. It has the knob and I really like it, the build quality is good and I remapped the push function from Mute to Play/Pause as I have a plugin on the Mac that ensures volume/play always talks to the Music app.

I can take a pic if it helps, as its a model that doesnt really have much in the way of YouTube reviews etc for some reason. I kind of found it by chance really, and it ticked all my boxes.

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

Just saw the preorder for NuPhy Gem80s. Any takers?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

What I care about :

- Wireless
- Has a knob
- Mac layout

What layout are you looking for? 100%? TKL? 75%?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
I've got a Kinesis Freestyle split keyboard which has served me well but I've been really wanting a 10 key back. If I'm on a sub-$100 budget what's the best bang for buck blue switch keyboard that includes one?