Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

something that gets me every time is that the last known living wild passenger pigeon was shot

I looked up the reference so I could share:

quote:

54. Ectopistes migratorius. Passenger Pigeon. Once an abundant summer resident. Several pigeon roosts in Pike county were well known to old settlers. On March 24, 1900, a solitary individual was shot by a small boy near Sargents, close to the boundary line of Pike and Scioto counties, and mounted by the late wife of ex-Sheriff C. Barnes, of Pike county. This is the only authentic record for twenty years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jizzny Princess
Aug 24, 2021

WHILE YOU WERE LEARNING TO SPELL YOUR NAME,
I WAS BEING TRAINED TO CONQUER GALAXIES
UwU
Remember that show deadliest catch and how they'd overfill the boats with crab to the point that by the time they got to port a large amount of the crabs would be dead and unable to be sold.

Finally, Deadliest Catch can be cancelled due to all the crabs going extinct.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Unless posted:

my favorite version of this is when the solution to pollution was dilution so now we can’t eat fish more than twice a week without getting mercury poisoned

its insanely hosed up that we treated the entire ocean as a giant heatsink for our all of out trash that it's permanently polluted with insane amounts of oils, heavy metals, and micro/nano-plastics that are completely destroying the ability for most live to thrive

and that's just pollution, to say nothing of temperatures! even if we magically cut co2 entirely overnight, a ton of ocean life is done for just from trashing them so badly.

straight up in our lifetimes, and and not that far away, we'll see the complete extinction of whales, and probably other species like dolphins to follow. they already can't reproduce anymore and the last ones are on their way out.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Xaris posted:

its insanely hosed up that we treated the entire ocean as a giant heatsink for our all of out trash that it's permanently polluted with insane amounts of oils, heavy metals, and micro/nano-plastics that are completely destroying the ability for most live to thrive

and that's just pollution, to say nothing of temperatures! even if we magically cut co2 entirely overnight, a ton of ocean life is done for just from trashing them so badly.

straight up in our lifetimes, and and not that far away, we'll see the complete extinction of whales, and probably other species like dolphins to follow. they already can't reproduce anymore and the last ones are on their way out.

keep thinking about how long life has existed on this planet and then humans come along and gently caress it all up in the blink of an eye

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
all life finding equilibriums over millions of years only to get obliterated in 150 years. crazy

err has issued a correction as of 07:05 on Jan 6, 2024

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

The Oldest Man posted:

Good air source heat pumps will work pretty efficiently down to -13F, after that, hope you got resistive electric backup

another option is to start your house or apartment on fire.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

err posted:

all life finding equilibriums over millions of years only to get obliterated in 150 years. crazy

even 150 years is being pretty fuckin' generous, more like 100

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Jizzny Princess posted:

Remember that show deadliest catch and how they'd overfill the boats with crab to the point that by the time they got to port a large amount of the crabs would be dead and unable to be sold.

Finally, Deadliest Catch can be cancelled due to all the crabs going extinct.

The intent was right there in the name so I think you mean "completed"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
more like Dead Catch amirite

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Death crab for cutie

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
Dude where's my crab

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
Remember when Red Lobster had the all-you-can-eat crab and then they ran out of crab?

Jizzny Princess posted:

https://twitter.com/ScienceNotDogma/status/1743361723938304305

I know it was already discussed a bit but the whole snow crab die off blows my mind. Did they honestly think an animal that takes 6-8 years to reach sexual maturity would recover in 2 years after 90% of it's population died off?

We're so hosed.

Lol this is the exact same thing that happened to the Atlantic cod fishery. Once they fished the cod out the whole structure of that ecosystem reorganized itself (or, "collapsed" is probably a more apt term) so there basically wasn't a place for them anymore in the trophic levels, so the numbers never recovered

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I am reading about those crabs and, apparently, before they had to cancel the season for the first time last year the council in charge of setting the quotas had more than double the amount of crab (from 19 to 45 million pounds) allowed to be caught in just 3 years (2017 - 2020), while knowing their population was at risk due to climate change.

And then they are all suprised pikachu about the goddamn "missing" crabs. What crabs you assholes?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Dokapon Findom posted:

Lol this is the exact same thing that happened to the Atlantic cod fishery. Once they fished the cod out the whole structure of that ecosystem reorganized itself (or, "collapsed" is probably a more apt term) so there basically wasn't a place for them anymore in the trophic levels, so the numbers never recovered

ecosystems are unbelievably cool.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

I choose to believe that the Aliens from The Abyss gave the crabs sanctuary

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.
just glad i got to eat a lotta (edit: cheap!!!) snowcrab before... well, you know...
what else should be on my list? i saw dolphin and whale mentioned - anything else?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

OIL PANIC posted:

just glad i got to eat a lotta (edit: cheap!!!) snowcrab before... well, you know...
what else should be on my list? i saw dolphin and whale mentioned - anything else?

Try and monch on some manatee before it goes away

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
do NOT attempt to cook coral

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

SixteenShells posted:

do NOT attempt to cook coral

Well duh it's already souis vide

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

yeah i dunno that i've given this enough thought, but one of the big ideas in the book is those three freedoms, and how they have shaped the development of human societies. there was once an ability to "play" with societal structure, sometimes have those structures vary within a society dependent upon season, etc. but that always required a certain amount of space/resources, lest you then impinge on another society's play space...

societies began to ossify around authority at some point... for reasons i don't think the book really makes crystal clear. chauvinism? chance? timing and industrialization? the authors don't actually seem super concerned, they seem more focused on demonstrating that things were not always the way they are now, and there's nothing inherently biological/etc. about how we structure our societies. which i find pretty hopeful.

what i don't find hopeful, and what I'm thinking about with that post, is that we don't have space and time to play and leave and disobey anymore. literally, politically, and as a matter of survival. the threatening pressures of climate change make those things impossible; we all must get on the same page, immediately, or else. and it's just not something that's happened in the past. people disagreed, left, did their own thing, to either fail or flourish. People still have those desires, which we have dealt with for millennia now, but there's no room for them anymore, nor is there time. obviously that's gonna lead to some... problems.

i'm not fleshing this out super well. it's beyond "well, people don't just get along."

it's such a good book that i took too long to get through, and i probably need to read again or find some lectures by david wengrow to understand more fully.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
not to worry friend, basically everyone is already on the same page and working together to realize our design of some millennia. we’re gonna get there

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/1742985101896720426

When is this supposed to happen? I just checked the weather forecast for Boise and looked at the animation on Zoom.earth and don't see this.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Zeta Taskforce posted:

https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/1742985101896720426

When is this supposed to happen? I just checked the weather forecast for Boise and looked at the animation on Zoom.earth and don't see this.

https://www.aer.com/science-research/climate-weather/arctic-oscillation/

Seems to be coming later this next week.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

that model is two days old. they're already projecting something more.... ahem, mild.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Xaris posted:

i've got a new intel cpu and rtx 3090 ti i can lend you for a week, that'll keep you toasty

anyways it's overall looking to be about ~ -20 to -25 f on average for most of the US-side PNW with a few spots that could get worse. stock some firewood and thick blankets.

PNW getting vermont weather, vermont getting, I dunno, mud.

cool

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

even if it's off by some and it "only" gets to -20C that's still about as cold as it was outside of Moscow in December 1941 (sorry, that's my only frame of reference for "catastrophically cold winter")

That’s not a map of temperatures, that’s a map of temperature anomalies. So it isn’t saying “it will be -50F” it is saying “it will be 50F degrees colder than average for that date”

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

yeah i dunno that i've given this enough thought, but one of the big ideas in the book is those three freedoms, and how they have shaped the development of human societies. there was once an ability to "play" with societal structure, sometimes have those structures vary within a society dependent upon season, etc. but that always required a certain amount of space/resources, lest you then impinge on another society's play space...

societies began to ossify around authority at some point... for reasons i don't think the book really makes crystal clear. chauvinism? chance? timing and industrialization? the authors don't actually seem super concerned, they seem more focused on demonstrating that things were not always the way they are now, and there's nothing inherently biological/etc. about how we structure our societies. which i find pretty hopeful.

what i don't find hopeful, and what I'm thinking about with that post, is that we don't have space and time to play and leave and disobey anymore. literally, politically, and as a matter of survival. the threatening pressures of climate change make those things impossible; we all must get on the same page, immediately, or else. and it's just not something that's happened in the past. people disagreed, left, did their own thing, to either fail or flourish. People still have those desires, which we have dealt with for millennia now, but there's no room for them anymore, nor is there time. obviously that's gonna lead to some... problems.

i'm not fleshing this out super well. it's beyond "well, people don't just get along."

it's such a good book that i took too long to get through, and i probably need to read again or find some lectures by david wengrow to understand more fully.

i think you're fleshing it out very well, i just haven't had the wherewithal for posting much lately. so really it's me who isn't fleshing things out very well. in any case, the idea that a tendency which is initially helpful eventually reaches a critical point and becomes harmful, but now you can't go back so you have to figure something new out to go forward from there or die, is essentially dialectical materialist thinking. and there is every possibility we won't be able to do that this time. eventually we'll fail and die. that was always a possibility, in fact, it's a certainty. but there's also no other way than to try, because there's no going back.

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
Karcinisation, n. The convergent tendency of all fish species to be processed into imitation crab meat.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Cabbages and Kings posted:

PNW getting vermont weather, vermont getting, I dunno, mud.

cool

Pretty much. I'm originally from the NEK about 15 miles from Canada. They had a brown Christmas for about the third time in my life. Boston is supposed to get 8 inches of snow tonight and tomorrow and its going to mostly miss my parents. So now Boston is getting Vermont weather.

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
plasticizers? in my foods?
yes, universally. but fear not, consumer reports will help you identify lesser evils:

quote:

A serving of Pizza Hut's Original Cheese Pan Pizza, for example, had half the phthalate levels of a similar pizza from Little Caesars.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

The fossil record of sharks goes back further than the fossil record for trees, but I know which one is going to last longer

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
the sea is the universal sewer

plastic mass is expected to outweigh all fish biomass in the oceans before 2050

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Hubbert posted:

we can do it faster than that

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

silicone thrills posted:

Death crab for cutie

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Hubbert posted:

The solution to pollution is dilution.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

also i was gonna make a joke like "gently caress crabs they taste gross" but i remember all the conversations i had this summer where i was like "the bugs. Where. are they" and people quite earnestly told me they were happy because they hate bugs

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

cash crab posted:

also i was gonna make a joke like "gently caress crabs they taste gross" but i remember all the conversations i had this summer where i was like "the bugs. Where. are they" and people quite earnestly told me they were happy because they hate bugs

I wonder how much they hate hunger

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

From a few pages back, but what is this? I'm in northern California and my Accuweather® forecast isn't going below 40° for the next few weeks. I don't see even a mild cold front coming in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

it’s a model from two days ago showing something potentially funny that is unlikely to happen now