Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I want a flashback to giant baby Jaro and his master Yaddle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

MikeJF posted:

I want a flashback to giant baby Jaro and his master Yaddle.

No! That's not true... That's impossible!!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Not just joking, it's mentioned in the game, if you missed the dialogue.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It's just a character I don't like, I don't want it to be a thing. But that's probably half of star wars, so whatcha gonna do :shrug:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
were you guys talking about this guy:

he seemed too sad to kill, I just left him alone and killed all of his friends instead :shepface:

I was a big fan of the duel at the top of the array, the first game's strongest combat encounters were against other guys wielding glowy swords and sticks and this was more of that, also lol that Galen just immediately turns to the dark side two minutes after waking up

Now, I'm guessing I should ignore sidequests for now and beeline the main quest if I want to unlock the remaining stances? I need that blaster style and Kylo Ren sword.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

That Stormtrooper is iconic, but there is another one that is much later into the game, you'll know him when you see him, it's a great moment.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wolfsheim posted:

Now, I'm guessing I should ignore sidequests for now and beeline the main quest if I want to unlock the remaining stances? I need that blaster style and Kylo Ren sword.

Yeah they'll be unlocked during main quest progression.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I think that guy was the one I was on the fence about murdering but yeah there’s another guy later, Rick.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

fist-pumped when I saw this sandcrawler. really hoping the jawas are an enemy type so I can reenact the SNES super star wars days of just killing them by the dozens but I guess we'll see~

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

All I can think about now is a co-op horde mode where Jawas are the low-level mooks that rush you in a crowd

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Captain Hygiene posted:

All I can think about now is a co-op horde mode where Jawas are the low-level mooks that rush you in a crowd

The Endor Hunt mode from 2017 BFII but on Tatooine against Jawas and Tuskens would be rad as gently caress

Especially if a Krayt Dragon is a stage hazard, or a Sarlacc burrowing around

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Stormtroopers are like Nazis, conquistadors, and Huguenots : no Dark Side points earned for murdering them and you're allowed to feel good about it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Marsupial Ape posted:

Stormtroopers are like Nazis, conquistadors, and Huguenots : no Dark Side points earned for murdering them and you're allowed to feel good about it.

It felt very deliberate that the first half hour of the game makes *very* clear that the Stormtroopers are all enormous assholes drinking deeply from the well of fascism and you should not feel bad about killing them.

No orphans stolen away and abused into following orders here.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eh, I feel like there were definitely points (including the peaceful seeming stormtroopers) where the game was definitely trying to hint at you that Cal had gotten a bit uncomfortably kill-happy.

Similar to when you first unlock using the force to mind control them to kill each other and it's hinted using it like that is going darker than a Jedi should.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Cal’s got a witchy woman in his life teaching him about the joys of retributive justice. It’s perfectly ok.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Jedha is cool

Cal and Merrin definitely hosed in that cave right

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Wolfsheim posted:

Jedha is cool

Cal and Merrin definitely hosed in that cave right

100%

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

What? C'mon. A Jedi would never do that

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I enjoy the stupid things the game's trophies push you to do :waycool:

Also while I was going around the Jedha archives I wasn't really paying attention to the idle chatter but then I heard these three talking about problems with 'the canon' and pondering why the same conflicts keep happening over and over and wondering if anything would ever break the cycle. Meta commentary on the endless cycle of reboots and retcons is neat :waycool:

Can you tell I like the pink filter :waycool:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Man, gently caress this guy

Got the poncho though

I assume the rift that opened in the shop after that is basically 'all skills maxed' endgame content right because lol

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Actually I found that second fight a little easier. You can get them stuck on each other a bit. It's also thankfully a lot quicker to get back into the fight than the first one when you gently caress up and die.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 6, 2024

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah I did it pretty much straight after too, one of them is an easier version (I think) and as long as you don't get tongued you're okay. I think the two rancor fight was worse.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The worst part of that worse one you mention was the loving long unskippable he killed you animation

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Wolfsheim posted:

Man, gently caress this guy

Got the poncho though

I assume the rift that opened in the shop after that is basically 'all skills maxed' endgame content right because lol

The rift in the shop is when you come back in NG+ with the purity perk enabled.

It makes it super easy, comically easy, like just charge up the dual lightsaber throw and it one shots them both immediately at the start of the match. Same for basically every other multiple boss fight rift. When the enemies already kill you in one hit, making them do like 20x damage while you also do 20x damage just levels the playing field.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I cheesed the gently caress out of the two rancor fight on grandmaster using the gun stance. They eventually just stopped chasing me all together and the charge up gun skill doesn't drain ammo even if you have no force left.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Wolfsheim posted:

I would also like games to abandon the 'can you pet the dog' trope and fully lean into 'can you use the facilities'

Don't forget the, "can you dig a souvenir out of the toilet."

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

The return to Jedha was kind of a huge miss because all the wind traversal musical column puzzles reminded me of the annoying parts of Tomb Raider combined with the annoying parts of Fallen Order, and fighting little bugs is never especially fun. Also at one point I ran into Skoova Stev and accidentally triggered one of his long stories and the comedy Scottish pirate accent wears real thin after a couple minutes

I did like meeting this gardener lady though

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Fuzz posted:

Don't forget the, "can you dig a souvenir out of the toilet."

I liked that it was a chunk of Space Gold, implying that someone was making GBS threads bricks while goldbricking.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Wolfsheim posted:

Skoova Stev

Like all the kooky aliens in this game, I love Stev, but I could only make it through one of two stories before I started button-mashing through the rest.

Would love to do an old Game FAQs-style charter battle poll with all the fun side characters in this game, but I know Turgle would run away with it.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Going in I thought Turgle would annoy me, but he was great. Skoova Stev wore thin for me after one story though.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Turgle is just so loving credulous that he's impossible to hate.

It also helps that he's performed by accomplished voice actor Richard Horvitz, known for stuff like Zim, Alpha 5, and Raz.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh of course it's Raz, how did I not pick that up.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
An unappreciated master of comic voice acting, is Horvitz. I've never not found his characters hilarious and endearing. Also quotable.

more organs means more human

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

not listening to all of skoova stev's stories is on par with not listening to all of zote's precepts

a sign of a weak spirit

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Skoova Stev's story was awesome, I've listened to the whole thing like 3 times already.

I hope in the final game we get a side story/bonus quest finishing off Wan'yek Whett as we crush the Haxion Brood completely.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I Force Lift so I can protect Turgle from all danger

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Weird moment here. I got killed by this not-wampa hanging out in a cave but then when I went back my XP aura was just hanging out a few feet away and he was just...chilling on this cliff. I didn't even bother fighting him again. Godspeed relaxed wampa man

And hey, I met some jawas! I didn't get to mow them down but I got to help them which i guess is just as good I guess. I guess.

More Star Wars-rear end vistas. I really like them going all in on the Clone Wars era designs, one of the biggest mistakes SW media makes is trying to make everything just look like a minor variation of the OT (the Disney movies, Fallen Order, etc) so seeing them lean into the wacky poo poo is refreshing. We just need to get a Dexter Jettster cameo and equippable death sticks and then we'll really be cooking with gas

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Wolfsheim's posts reminded me that I needed to finally try NG+ and get the plat and it was a blast to play through! I started off in normal difficulty but went down to Padawan after a little while just because it was more fun to have more force power available for the combat and focus on trying to get through each encounter as efficiently or stylishly as possible. Except for the boss fights, I cranked those up to hard and they were really challenging to get through. Swapping out stances and outfits often too was great and kept things fresh. And those big setpieces were still thrilling the second time around.

Mostly beelined through the story and realized that there is a surprising amount of optional content in the game that I didn't really appreciate the first time through. Tons of areas on Koboh and Jedha that you wouldn't know existed unless you went out of your way to just explore. I was lucky that I didn't really experience many bugs or performance issues in either my first time through or this one, it's too bad that was such a problem for a lot of players.

I know we're years away from the next game but I'm excited to close this trilogy out. Cal was a little bland in the first game but I liked what they did with him and the crew in Survivor. I need some more saloon time and Turgle too!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I still find it hard to fathom how the game ended up as vast and enjoyable as it did. Two thirds of its development were handled during the apocalypse and even though it's had its fair share of issues, I consider it a modern classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

maybe thats what stims are and Cal's addicted to them. Cordova did have a robot to explicitly bring him drugs. Cal was probably too young to finish the jedi 'say no to drugs' program.