Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lmao more boeing quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

To be somewhat fair to Boeing it’s identical to the Max 8 and 9, but

Midjack posted:

lmao more boeing quality.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

From FlightAware, it looks like the max altitude was 16k feet. I wonder if the plug fractured once the cabin pressurized and was then able to fit out the hole? Assuming that the plugs are the same as the other emergency exits that are physically too large to go out, only in.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Man, what a timely failure. They are/were starting to get clearance to sell the Max in China again.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/12/20/boeing-wins-key-clearance-from-chinas-aviation-regulator-on-737-max-deliveries-report-says.html

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

hobbesmaster posted:

To be somewhat fair to Boeing it’s identical to the Max 8 and 9, but

It’s a bad design flaw that regulators have decided isn’t dire enough to ground the fleet over, but Boeing should not be allowed to introduce it to new models.

There are limits to grandfathering, folks.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Wombot posted:

From FlightAware, it looks like the max altitude was 16k feet. I wonder if the plug fractured once the cabin pressurized and was then able to fit out the hole? Assuming that the plugs are the same as the other emergency exits that are physically too large to go out, only in.

The picture looks like the entire frame ripped out, which I imagine bypasses that safety principle.

The most astonishing part of the story is that there was an empty seat on a plane.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7320798084869393710

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I believe the plug is installed by Spirit when they send the fuselage over on the train from Wichita. There were a few fuselage issues last year that required massive rework on a whole lot of planes and now this... Plus there was the contract dispute and strike. I'm super anxious to know what the failure point was, whether an installation error or part defect or what.

Just really grateful there were no major injuries and it happened during the initial climb out. I was involved in a few delivery prep jobs on that plane after factory completion, so it's unsettling seeing something I once was around in an incident.

Vertical Fin issue around April 23:
https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/boeing-supplier-spirit-aero-flags-31-mln-hit-737-fuselage-defect-2023-05-03/
Aft Bulkhead issue around August 23:
https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/new-boeing-737-max-supplier-defect-delay-aircraft-deliveries-2023-08-23/

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
I've learned from this thread that Alaska Airlines is a trainwreck, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was their fault somehow.

Thank god nobody was in that window seat.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Whoever was sitting right next to the gaping hole in the airplane probably really regretted putting their coat in the overhead.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

EasilyConfused posted:

I've learned from this thread that Alaska Airlines is a trainwreck, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was their fault somehow.

Thank god nobody was in that window seat.

LOLling RN at deviant ollam making such a big fuss about delta points on youtube to the point of moving all his business to alaska. I wonder what he is thinking right now.

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

If it’s not Boeing I ain’t going (out a window)

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Scam Likely posted:

Whoever was sitting right next to the gaping hole in the airplane probably really regretted putting their coat in the overhead.

It was a teenage boy who lost his shirt out the hole, but was otherwise fine (physically anyways).

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

maybe one of the yokels that shoots at the plane train scored a critical

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

LOLling RN at deviant ollam making such a big fuss about delta points on youtube to the point of moving all his business to alaska. I wonder what he is thinking right now.

Alaska had really good agreements with several other airlines so even if your plane didn't have the eskimo on the side they were a good place to earn the points.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Midjack posted:

Alaska had really good agreements with several other airlines so even if your plane didn't have the eskimo on the side they were a good place to earn the points.

Alaska is enabling me to fly Fiji Business to Sydney and back in August for 110k miles and ~$150 round-trip from/to LAX, so yeah.

I have to "suffer" economy on an A350 for the NAN>SYD and SYD>NAN leg, but I'm sure I'll survive.

That said, now that I've exhausted my "bank" of Alaska miles I have to admit I'm not terribly enthusiastic about rebuilding it. United has service to LAX on a 777-200 to/from IAD and even the nicest narrow body can't beat the luxury of having actual room to get up and stretch if you want to.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

https://bsky.app/profile/fatapollo.bsky.social/post/3kidg57j4c22x

https://bsky.app/profile/fatapollo.bsky.social posted:

So get this.

The seats beside the missing piece of fuselage were empty, because those folks missed their flight!

Pix from @Kyrinker who was across the aisle!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Flux Wildly posted:

If it’s not Boeing I ain’t going (out a window)

It's wild (and a bit sad) that Boeing has (largely through its own fault as a corporation, it must be said) clearly got issues throughout its project management, engineering and QC.

Growing up as a plane-crazy youngster, Boeing had this aura of quality and engineering integrity, buoyed up by instances of famous instances where 707s, 737s and 747s had suffered a huge amount of structural/mechanical damage and kept (at least sort of) flying. The reputation was definitely in contrast to, say, the DC-10.

What was the other old saying? "The ideal airliner would be designed by Lockheed, built by Boeing and marketed by McD-Douglas".

That doesn't seem to be the case now.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

BalloonFish posted:

What was the other old saying? "The ideal airliner would be designed by Lockheed, built by Boeing and marketed by McD-Douglas".

So we have an airliner designed by McDD, built by subcontractors of Boeing, and marketed by NTSB mandatory reporting.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

So we have an airliner designed by McDD, built by subcontractors of Boeing, and marketed by NTSB mandatory reporting.

Marketed by Airbus’s backlog

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BalloonFish posted:

It definitely isnt

I'm going to see if the plug is installed by spirit. I would not be surprised

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
the FAA has grounded all -9's until inspections can be performed

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

`Nemesis posted:

the FAA has grounded all -9's until inspections can be performed

All, or just the 171 of the same configuration that they announced earlier today? https://www.faa.gov/newsroom/faa-statement-temporary-grounding-certain-boeing-737-max-9-aircraft

A significant amount of those have already been inspected and are cleared to fly again.

If they expanded to all, that would be a really bad sign that they found a repeat issue that affects more than just that config. Which would be real bad for Boeing, but real good for anyone holding a short on their stock.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

We have an... interesting fellow at one of our other factories who's flown cross-country to receive training with my group, he worked for Boeing for years, and refuses to fly on their aircraft, so he has to call the poor travel agents to find him a string of puddle-jumpers across the US every time he flies out.

I bet he's feeling smug right now.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

How many bolts +/- is he holding?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Elviscat posted:

We have an... interesting fellow at one of our other factories who's flown cross-country to receive training with my group, he worked for Boeing for years, and refuses to fly on their aircraft, so he has to call the poor travel agents to find him a string of puddle-jumpers across the US every time he flies out.

I bet he's feeling smug right now.

"I'm not owned, I'm not owned!", I continue to insist as I climb into my fourth CRJ-200 of the day.

That said, I'd imagine the A220 is this dude's salvation.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
So is it hate or fear?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Saukkis posted:

So is it hate or fear?

Both!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

You'll never guess which Boeing 'craft he worked on!

SLS

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"I'm not owned, I'm not owned!", I continue to insist as I climb into my fourth CRJ-200 of the day.

That said, I'd imagine the A220 is this dude's salvation.

It shouldn’t be hard to avoid Boeing on Delta these days.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

It shouldn’t be hard to avoid Boeing on Delta these days.

520 Boeing aircraft out of a current fleet of 978: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_Air_Lines_fleet

Something tells me there's gonna be a longer wait on those 100 MAX 10s, though. >.>

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Scam Likely posted:

Am I an rear end in a top hat for sometimes wearing my backpack on my chest during landings just in case we have a rapid unschedule deplaning? The backpack contains my life's work.

You should assume any physical object you bring with you is forfeit.

But mostly: whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

520 Boeing aircraft out of a current fleet of 978: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_Air_Lines_fleet

Something tells me there's gonna be a longer wait on those 100 MAX 10s, though. >.>

Yeah but DL has the good ones! Just stay away from the max and dreamliner and you'll be good.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
There’s not much good about the 739

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I just completely forgot that MSP is mostly airbus because that’s their airbus maintenance base and that biased things a bit for me I suppose.

Also 717 shouldn’t count as Boeing… while that’s from the final bad years of MD they didn’t seem to gently caress up the DC-9 much. (Can’t say the same for Alaska…)

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

There’s not much good about the 739

it’s not as long as the 737-10M will be

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If anyone saw a door fall out of the sky, the NTSB would like to know!

https://twitter.com/avgeekjake/status/1743849387024073166?s=46

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

a patagonian cavy posted:

it’s not as long as the 737-10M will be

Good news because the max 10 will never get produced

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
In another set of messages, employees questioned the design of the Max and even denigrated their own colleagues. “This airplane is designed by clowns, who are in turn supervised by monkeys,” an employee wrote in an exchange from 2017.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

If anyone saw a door fall out of the sky, the NTSB would like to know!

https://twitter.com/avgeekjake/status/1743849387024073166?s=46

Has the NTSB tried going door to door?