Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

cheese eats mouse posted:

No art ceramics. Mugs and bowls, etc.

Oh, like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw5A2Es8SLw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

:owned:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Move to a better country

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Lockback posted:

Move to a better country

They're clearly not in the US. Mission accomplished.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
My husband sent me that link when I was at pottery class :mad:

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Lockback posted:

Move to a better country

Australia is the best country, check and mate

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Chewbecca posted:

Australia is the best country, check and g’day mate

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Chewbecca posted:

Australia is the best country, check and mate

A venomous creature wrote this

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Better than a Ghost reference at least.

Now wondering if I should change my story from laid off to “tried a different career for a bit”

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

cheese eats mouse posted:

Better than a Ghost reference at least.

Now wondering if I should change my story from laid off to “tried a different career for a bit”

Portlander who tried an artsy career will come off as clueless unless theres a good story with it. Honestly I went traveling for a year and I just got back is a quite good resume gap answer.

If you can ask yourself "would an alcoholic loser in this situation have the same outcome?" and clearly explain why not, you're in decent shape. Alcoholic losers dont go see the world or start credible businesses, they apply to 5 jobs per week and bitch about the economy and their former employer or they start nonsense businesses with no real plan that never get anywhere.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jan 5, 2024

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I wouldn't say you left to do a business if you actually got laid off. Being laid off isn't horrid and it's better than outright lying, and if I catch a lie on a resume because I happen to know someone or w/e that is an immediate 3 strikes. Also people tend to be worse at lying in an interview than they think they are, stick to the truth (even if there's some veneer on it).

I think "I took some time off, I worked a bit on a small business, I traveled, now I'm looking for that next career step" is a perfectly fine story and your previous place being 4 years helps that as well. If you had a UX cert or class you took in that time it would help too as "I was working on my craft" usually goes over well.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
A friend says a req is opening up at his job for a job in qualified for. Right now a req is open for a position I could conceivably do but am less qualified for.

Would it hurt my application at job 2 to apply for job 1 first? I think it probably would and I should wait for the req to open for the job I can probably get, job 2?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

redreader posted:

A friend says a req is opening up at his job for a job in qualified for. Right now a req is open for a position I could conceivably do but am less qualified for.

Would it hurt my application at job 2 to apply for job 1 first? I think it probably would and I should wait for the req to open for the job I can probably get, job 2?

Have your friend ask the hiring manager this.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
In the middle of my white collar career I randomly did a 2.5 year sojourn running a small warehouse with all that entails. Surprisingly (to me anyway) that has been viewed by more of my interviewers as a positive and interesting thing than as a negative. I figured spending time in the blue collar world would be looked down upon by white collar upper management, and there has been some of that for sure. But I think having a broader scope of experience to draw on is a good thing and widely recognized as such.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Lockback posted:

I wouldn't say you left to do a business if you actually got laid off. Being laid off isn't horrid and it's better than outright lying, and if I catch a lie on a resume because I happen to know someone or w/e that is an immediate 3 strikes. Also people tend to be worse at lying in an interview than they think they are, stick to the truth (even if there's some veneer on it).

I think "I took some time off, I worked a bit on a small business, I traveled, now I'm looking for that next career step" is a perfectly fine story and your previous place being 4 years helps that as well. If you had a UX cert or class you took in that time it would help too as "I was working on my craft" usually goes over well.

Truth. I know what making a career in ceramic art entails and I'm definitely not there to go full-time, so it would be a bad lie.

Next is the UX Cert for me. I self-taught on my jobs as I was trained in print design, so I don't speak like I came out of UX program. I'm looking at finishing my Nielsen Norman managerial track and/or a Google Cert.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 5, 2024

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

moana posted:

My husband sent me that link when I was at pottery class :mad:

I missed this, but it's too true. Everything failed becomes a bowl.

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?

Eric the Mauve posted:

In the middle of my white collar career I randomly did a 2.5 year sojourn running a small warehouse with all that entails. Surprisingly (to me anyway) that has been viewed by more of my interviewers as a positive and interesting thing than as a negative. I figured spending time in the blue collar world would be looked down upon by white collar upper management, and there has been some of that for sure. But I think having a broader scope of experience to draw on is a good thing and widely recognized as such.

The best managers I've hired or worked with DID have some grunt work experience to compliment their white collar work history. The timing in the middle of the career might need commentary, but I wouldn't see it as a negative unless the story itself has red flags. I want to work with committed humans, not corporate robots who are just looking for another 2 year gig to pad their "progressive work history."

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Okay Goons.. help me out. I've been a telecom PC/PM for the past 12 years. Telecom work comes in waves. In July 2023, AT&T stopped all work abruptly and cancelled all future jobs and it caused a ripple effect across the industry. I was laid off with 20% of my department and haven't been able to find work since.

I started this week thinking I'd have 3 prospects. I'm down to 2. Possibly 1.

Prospect 1 would have been a similar career to what I had as a telecom PM working for a rival company to the one that laid me off in July. Thought it was a pretty sure thing. Had two really great interviews, but for financial reasons they ended up moving over someone internally - but acknowledged that it was a great interview and that they wanted to stay in touch in case of increased headcount down the road. Okay, I can live with that.

Prospect 2 is with a banking data center working as an administrative person assisting with scheduling leadership travel, planning meetings, assisting with catering, keeping schedules up to date, making sure conference rooms are set up properly to accommodate the meetings.. Out of my wheelhouse, sure, but not completely something I haven't done in the past. I've had 3 great interviews with them, the most recent one Thursday with some potential co-workers. It went well, we jived, they got to know my reasons I'm apprehensive to go back into telecom. But I don't know if this is a job I even want. I don't want to handle some big wig's schedule.. I frankly never expected to get so far in this interview process. Someone took a shine to me early on and is prodding me forward. Plus, its hybrid, not fully remote, I'd have to dress nicer than I ever have for work which means I'll have to go buy new clothes.

Prospect 3 is going back to work at my old company. I started hearing rumors last week that they wanted me back. This week I got the "would you be interested?" text. I told them no "new hire" BS, benefits day 1, and a raise for putting me through hell last year. They countered today with having to still do onboarding paperwork, benefits after 30 days (rather than 90, best HR can do timeline-wise), and no raise, back to my old salary - which wasn't terrible if I'm being honest. Fully remote thanks to Covid, we don't even have an office to go to if they wanted me to. Plus, I'm friends with a lot of my coworkers and they're amped at the possibility of me coming back.

Let me put this out there - I was very happy at my old job. I love/d my boss. She's the best person I've ever worked for and she's gone to bat for me more times than I can count. She got blindsided when I was let go and had to come in early from a week's vacation to make the call and was in tears when she did it so it would be her and not some HR stranger letting me know. She took all my requests seriously and was denied by the Director, this is the best they can do. Unless the bank comes back with something absurd.. I think I have to go back. The Devil you know.. Am I crazy to jump back into this again?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I dunno, you should do what you want but looking objectively turning this down because no benefits after 30 days and same salary is a bit cutting off your nose to spite your face because I assume you won't have benefits for 30 days regardless and the salary seems on par or better than the other jobs?

I guess I wouldn't take an admin job if you don't think you want to do that, and if you leave this job after taking it it wouldn't really "count" since I'd just ignore the hiatus on a resume and put down you worked the whole time (maybe a footnote "Employment Paused due to Financial constraints, July-December 2023). So taking this job and maybe keep hunting on an adjusted expectation would the route I'd go.

to be clear: I think the chance of a future layoff is high, but probably a better decision than the admin job your not sure about and gives you more time to find that next step instead of feeling forced into an admin position.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 5, 2024

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Take old job offer and keep hunting for a change.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

CarForumPoster posted:

Take old job offer and keep hunting for a change.

Pretty much this, but watch out for burning bridges.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

ultrafilter posted:

Pretty much this, but watch out for burning bridges.

After we laid them off, then brought them back with literally apology pay, they weren't loyal! Can you beli8eve that?! gently caress that noise.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

After we laid them off, then brought them back with literally apology pay, they weren't loyal! Can you beli8eve that?! gently caress that noise.

The manager, not the company.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

If someone left for not much reason after 3 months I'd be kinda pissed because they probably provided no value for those 3 months and the team was shouldering their load with the expectation they'd ramp up and help out.

I assume OP in this case will be coming in day 1 already in fighting trim so that's a lot less of a concern. It would kinda suck for the manager, but in general your not going to piss off anyone who was at all reasonable.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Magicaljesus posted:

My wife and I took a gap year, and now we're preparing to return to the world of the employed. It's been a very long time since I've needed a resume, so I'm pretty much starting from scratch.

Two main topics in question;

1) How can I best address the gap year on the resume or in an interview? The time was spent on personal things like helping ailing family, a cross-country move, travel, home improvement, etc. I did some volunteering and continued to serve as the Treasurer for a non-profit, but the latter is already a footnote on my resume. Currently, my resume just starts with the most recent relevant role (below) with the end date 1 year ago. Is this a problem and how should I approach it on the resume or in an interview?

This never got addressed and ties in with cheese eats mouse's question and something I'm wondering about : while I've been unemployed for going on 11 months now, I've not just been sitting on my rear end and applying to jobs. I've acquired some very relevant certifications, undertaken some other professional development / classes, worked on a couple of books (that are not career related), and have been doing some consulting work with contacts through friends / network (nothing through an agency and half of it unpaid, as I'm trying to build cred and lay groundwork for a client base). To date, I've only talked about this during interviews, but as it's getting to the point where I might be showing a year+ since my last role, I'm wondering if I should devote a brief entry to it on top of my experience section (which is deliberately titled 'relevant experience'), and the best way to do so? Should I simply have a 'Freelancer' entry or something to that effect, or does that look weird?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Yeah I don't think I have any choice. I'll accept the job next week, but I would like to hear what the bank's pay is. If they offer something nuts I feel like I have to give it a shot.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The job I was most optimistic about came down to me and one other guy and the job went to the other guy :suicide:

On the bright side, it means I don't have to move to Bumfuck, Alabama anymore

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The job I was most optimistic about came down to me and one other guy and the job went to the other guy :suicide:

I was disappointed when I didnt get picked for an engineering role at Honda in Lincoln, Alabama but then I got a FAANG job, moved to the bay area and met my now wife. ~mysterious ways~

ZeGoggles
Jun 6, 2022

Ugh I'm so sorry. This happens to me an annoyingly large amount too.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Yeah I've "come second" too. It isn't the consolation prize they think it is!

That being said, it shows your interview game is on point, so no reason to think the next job won't be successful!

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
Hey Resume thread! I could use some help trimming this bad boy down to 2 pages. I'm looking to re-enter game dev (I know. I know.) after doing 8 years in the industry, quitting, doing comics full-time, having a medical issue that knocked me out for a couple years, and then putting out a successful indie game last year. I mostly do systems design & narrative design for single player games, but I got my start in QA analysis and am super happy to do that too. I realize I'm trying to get back into the industry in the WORST POSSIBLE TIME IMAGINABLE, but it's literally the only thing I've done professionally besides freelancing comics since 2009 and I love this industry to death, so - please help me take a scythe to this resume and get it 2024-ready? :shobon:

Alternatively, if you know of OTHER industries where this skill set might come in useful, I'm all ears! I'm pretty much just focused on making enough money to stay alive at this point, so any suggestions are welcome!

https://imgur.com/a/5UwkeYZ

edit: realized immediately my shipped games list should probably be on page 1, I'm super rusty
double edit: redacted info no longer looks like the FBI took a big ol marker to it

Lieutenant Dan fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 6, 2024

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Edit: Moving this somewhere more appropriate

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 6, 2024

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
You should definitely read the OP and maybe the last 10 pages of the Negotiation Thread in this very forum, and then post your questions there!

Off the top of my head I would heavily favor the remote job. I would rather have $63,000 fully remote than $70,000 mostly rear end-in-seat (and I don't believe them for a second that you'll even get the 2 days of WFH, that'll probably end up changing to 100% rear end-in-seat soon after you start).

The better bennies are a consideration but man I would not take that commute for anything less than like $85K personally.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 6, 2024

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Didn't know that was a thing lol, thanks

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

CarForumPoster posted:

Thoughts:
- It seems a little disorganized.

You sound like my PhD advisor

quote:

- CVs and academic resumes don't follow the same rules as generic resumes for typical ICs. If you're a real-deal Ph.D. you should list your academic achievements, particularly early in your career. Conference papers, patents, journal articles, industry speaking, etc. Theres a certain pomp that benefits you when you're a PhD, it fulfills the mental model of a "real PhD" that many have.

I tried to base my resume off what is in the chemical society career guide (https://imgur.com/a/SwJBnCX) and used a similar type of format. I'll think about moving papers and such earlier in the document

quote:

- I'd suggest putting your Bachelors and PhD together so someone can, at a glance, see you have both and what theyre in. Remove the bachelor's bullet, put it above PhD.

Really? Every resume I've seen, academia or industry, always has the newest education listed first

quote:

- Your publications and presentations section seems a little light. You completed a PhD and only made your work known three times? Include your dissertation.

I do have additional pubs/presentations, but because this is not a CV, previous advice I got was just to only list a couple that are the most relevant/most proud of

quote:

- Maybe in your PhD, have a one line bullet that explains to HR people (or your mom) what you research was and the applications of it. This might help recruiters know if you're a "perfect fit" versus a good fit.
- Reread the whole thing and ask yourself after each paragraph, how can I say the same thing in fewer words?

checks out

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

You should definitely always put the newest education first imo. Why would you list a bachelor's above a PhD?!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Chewbecca posted:

You should definitely always put the newest education first imo. Why would you list a bachelor's above a PhD?!

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Lieutenant Dan posted:

I mostly do systems design & narrative design for single player games, but I got my start in QA analysis and am super happy to do that too. I realize I'm trying to get back into the industry in the WORST POSSIBLE TIME IMAGINABLE, but it's literally the only thing I've done professionally besides freelancing comics since 2009 and I love this industry to death, so - please help me take a scythe to this resume and get it 2024-ready? :shobon:

As a qualifier, I've got much less experience but for game dev some scattershot thoughts on cuts/consolidation, I guess take them with a grain of salt!

I think you have more than enough impressive experience/skills/accomplishments, imo I'd focus on choosing which to highlight. I think the solo dev, the two full-time roles, and the full-time cartoon work are the things to lead with and to make sure you keep. Everything else imo is bonus, just if you have extra space. I think priority is keeping it lean enough that people read through the good stuff!

1. Cut out the music and submissions editor
2. Cut print specialist, medical bias reviewer and design jntern; reduce the diversity consultant and authenticity reader to 2 bullet points, one describing what you did, one the companies
3. Try to remove bullets that are repeated - i.e., either include the nyt bestsellers in awards or the comic work experience but probably not both (def include though, of course - maybe notable enough to double up, but be v v succinct in at least one section).
4. Cut the teaching to one or two bullets: just courses and positions at most, maybe either just cut the life drawing or cut it to like 3 words.
5. Maybe move the teaching artist in residence from cartoonist to teaching, and cut down length.
6. Remove the HS diploma
7. Could move the portfolio link to the same line as contact info, maybe have it on the left bolded? If not don't and center enough that way them nevermind!
8. For the solo dev section consolidate the "Featured" bullets, and consolidate the various review bullets.
9. Try and cut down the bullets in each experience section, and include specific technical skills you used in each (i.e., did you use Unity? Add that to a sentence, so they don't have to wait until the technical skills section). Basically try and have the bullets highlight an accomplishment and the skills if reasonable.
10. I don't think MS Office suite needs its own line, paper prototyping could maybe also get cut or consolidated. Similarly, probably cut the big bullet of cool skills down to like a line; it's sick but probably not all relevant enough to give it so many inches!
11. Each games internship should probably just have one bullet at most, if included
12. Should the shipped games be enumerated separately, or part of the relevant roles? I've seen the latter, plus maybe "x shipped games" earlier on. That said the games resumes I see are all data science/analytics, so I'm sure conventions are different.

Also on PTO but I can see if we have anything relevant and PM if so - imo try the game jobs thread as well of you haven't.

E2: potentially also cut down some of the extra experience that's less related to specific roles after those cuts, I think you'd prolly be better serves with multiple resumes for diff roles.

foutre fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 6, 2024

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Lieutenant Dan posted:

Hey Resume thread! I could use some help trimming this bad boy down to 2 pages. I'm looking to re-enter game dev (I know. I know.) after doing 8 years in the industry, quitting, doing comics full-time, having a medical issue that knocked me out for a couple years, and then putting out a successful indie game last year. I mostly do systems design & narrative design for single player games, but I got my start in QA analysis and am super happy to do that too. I realize I'm trying to get back into the industry in the WORST POSSIBLE TIME IMAGINABLE, but it's literally the only thing I've done professionally besides freelancing comics since 2009 and I love this industry to death, so - please help me take a scythe to this resume and get it 2024-ready? :shobon:

Alternatively, if you know of OTHER industries where this skill set might come in useful, I'm all ears! I'm pretty much just focused on making enough money to stay alive at this point, so any suggestions are welcome!

https://imgur.com/a/5UwkeYZ

edit: realized immediately my shipped games list should probably be on page 1, I'm super rusty
double edit: redacted info no longer looks like the FBI took a big ol marker to it

There's too much low value information.
Drop high school all together
Change college dates to just the grad date
Drop the note about leaving early unless its high value.
In opening paragraph mention the awards you won more specifically. The NYT is a big name, and top 10 bests elling means you make people money. Lead with that.
I assume non redacted has proper spacing of dates, but youre erratic with the type of date e.g. Sept, October. Pick a date format and stick with it. Suggest picking the shortest one possible.
You probably don't need 6 lines dedicated to a 2009 internship when youre a best selling other thing. Give it one line, IMO its worth showing each relevant job, but just keep them very short is theyre + years ago unless you have an accomplishment thats worth >$1M. (e.g. fixing an issue on the critical path to shipping a $60M/yr game that allows it to ship 1 week sooner is worth $1+M)
You prob dont need 9 lines dedicated to a 2014 job you did for <1 year.

You have impressive accolades, but they're distracted from by the "did THIS assigned task and THAT assigned task" bullets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

I do have additional pubs/presentations, but because this is not a CV, previous advice I got was just to only list a couple that are the most relevant/most proud of
I'd list them as "select publications" and then line saying "Full publication history" and a link to your Research Gate profile for those that actually care.

You have a Research Gate profile, right?