Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Catching up on the show Reacher and I promise I'm not trying to side with the murderous terrorist but that cop that was going to give him a written warning for having a knickknack hanging from his rearview? Stabbing deserved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is that the same guy who just kills everyone he interacts with because they saw his face?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

smackfu posted:

Is that the same guy who just kills everyone he interacts with because they saw his face?

yeah hes basically in an entirely different show lol

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

smackfu posted:

I think his initials are A.M. because anyone who meets him gets Always Murdered.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Just watched Asteroid City on Prime. I'm usually a fan of Wes Anderson, but I gotta say, every single character in this movie speaks exactly the same way and it gets super tiring. It's like every character is Bill Murray in The Royal Tenenbaums. I know it's part of his whole thing, but I think it went a little too far this time.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I enjoyed it but he is very much on the peak of his bullshit.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Agreed but I still think it was a step down (in a good way) from the real peak of insufferability and basically unintentional self-parody: The French Dispatch.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I thought everyone talked like they were in Rushmore.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Wolfsheim posted:

yeah hes basically in an entirely different show lol

The books are sometimes like that with them just randomly going to some character who you have no idea what/why they are in the novel and then it gets tied up at the end

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

Catching up on the show Reacher and I promise I'm not trying to side with the murderous terrorist but that cop that was going to give him a written warning for having a knickknack hanging from his rearview? Stabbing deserved

Hah no doubt, hassling someone for a tag hanging from the rearview mirror at a rest stop at night? Get the gently caress outta here with that poo poo.

Watched Saltburn last night. I've been hearing so much about how crazy this movie is, and the wild stuff that happens in the third act. I found it really predictable and not nearly as hosed up as it seemed to think it was. Great performances, but it overall fell flat for me. Frustrating, because it feels like there was a great movie lurking in there.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I was quite confused by Saltburn in the first half - the change from weird dude to slick don juan was so abrupt that I thought the there was some split personality thing going on, or maybe it only happened in his imagination. It became clear as the movie went on, but I still think the sudden shift was strange.

Also the end makes it sounds like he had everything planned out when the majority of the things that happened actually was pure luck - what if the family had looked into his background before inviting him into their home, or he never had been invited in the first place?

ymgve fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 6, 2024

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

ymgve posted:

I was quite confused by Saltburn in the first half - the change from weird dude to slick don juan was so abrupt that I thought the there was some split personality thing going on, or maybe it only happened in his imagination. It became clear as the movie went on, but I still think the sudden shift was strange.

Also the end makes it sounds like he had everything planned out when the majority of the things that happened actually was pure luck - what if the family had looked into his background before inviting him into their home, or he never had been invited in the first place?

I took it more as he really did just plan to become gay best friends with a hot rich boy and manufactured that but then his opportunities REALLY opened up once he was invited to the mansion, and his mixture of envy and disgust at the way the rich live set his 'kill them all and take it' plan in motion

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
So I assume this is less actively obnoxious compared to Promising Young Woman. Cuz girl boss neoliberal Craig S Zahler worries me as a director and writer.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

girl boss neoliberal Craig S Zahler

lol that’s quite the description. can you elaborate on what you mean here?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I just mean she's as politically worrying and obnoxious as Zahler, just with a different sheen. I'll always remember the detail that she asked her cop dad how long it would take for a woman to die as in Mulligan's place, so she could shoot it with true "realism" in a film whose "realism" comes and goes when it wishes anyway (of all the people who would know that im sure my pig dad does).. all of that film's cruelty is reserved for women, from the lead to the lady Mulligan tricks into thinking she was raped (meanwhile the lawyer is like I'm so sowwwwy and the main character is like ohh ok).
Are there people who are into Saltburn that were as low on Promising Young Woman as I was? Just curious, I'm gonna watch it anyway, I love Barry Keoghan.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 6, 2024

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

The Creator is very well shot, well directed, great cinematography, good score, well acted, and really poorly written scifi that should take like a few more rewrites to make it's points make any sense.
Felt like late 90s Cameron was stuck with a j.j. Abrahams script

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
If yall want more thoughtful 2023 "original" sci fi (tho also fairly unsubtle) then you gotta watch Landscape with Invisible Hand.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Upsidads posted:

The Creator is very well shot, well directed, great cinematography, good score, well acted, and really poorly written scifi that should take like a few more rewrites to make it's points make any sense.
Felt like late 90s Cameron was stuck with a j.j. Abrahams script

I wrote a bunch of words on the Creator earlier, but I think this post sums up everything I felt about it better than I did.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I liked how for some reason they'd send these covert tactical teams to infiltrate a base to destroy some tech and then just nuke the base afterwards anyway

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Papercut posted:

I liked how for some reason they'd send these covert tactical teams to infiltrate a base to destroy some tech and then just nuke the base afterwards anyway

This was the whole movie for me. Virtually nothing happens in that doesn't fall apart after 3 seconds of scrutiny. I can't remember the last time I watched a movie and thought "wait why are they doing this? Why does this work like this?" so many times.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Papercut posted:

Again like T-34 (streaming on prime, decent modern Russian action remake of a Soviet era film telling the story of how Soviet POWs managed to rampage across Germany in a stolen tank cuz the Nazis made them the instructors in their tank academy...it's a decent C+ full of urban tank battles but nowhere close to the glories of PRC action cinema ala the Wolf Warrior series) I assigned all ridiculous incompetence and stupidity to the true historical fact that the Nazis were stupid incompetent loving assholes, I guess I react the same way when it comes to the reflected incomprehensible actions of Future USA in The Creator.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The cruel are also always stupid, the Joker is actually a loving idiot hth

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

veni veni veni posted:

I wrote a bunch of words on the Creator earlier, but I think this post sums up everything I felt about it better than I did.

I jumped ahead but yes valid points. The ai limitations seem real goofy.
Make me a robot spider!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Papercut posted:

The insurgents have multiple secret bases and other important stuff across the country. The American villains send in the covert teams first so that they can gain intel by hacking into computers or interrogating people, as we’re both shown and told several times over the course of the film. Ding.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The insurgents have multiple secret bases and other important stuff across the country. The American villains send in the covert teams first so that they can gain intel by hacking into computers or interrogating people, as we’re both shown and told several times over the course of the film. Ding.

Yeah like I said I liked it thanks. It was very funny.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I just mean she's as politically worrying and obnoxious as Zahler, just with a different sheen. I'll always remember the detail that she asked her cop dad how long it would take for a woman to die as in Mulligan's place, so she could shoot it with true "realism" in a film whose "realism" comes and goes when it wishes anyway (of all the people who would know that im sure my pig dad does).. all of that film's cruelty is reserved for women, from the lead to the lady Mulligan tricks into thinking she was raped (meanwhile the lawyer is like I'm so sowwwwy and the main character is like ohh ok).
Are there people who are into Saltburn that were as low on Promising Young Woman as I was? Just curious, I'm gonna watch it anyway, I love Barry Keoghan.

I had to look this up, but it was her father-in-law. Her dad created a jewelry empire, which is part of why Saltburn rings so hollow. It mocks the rich lightly for being goofy but still completely loves them otherwise.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Papercut posted:

Ah the plot of Starcraft

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Punkin Spunkin posted:

So I assume this is less actively obnoxious compared to Promising Young Woman. Cuz girl boss neoliberal Craig S Zahler worries me as a director and writer.

It's kinda weird in that the big twist at the end undercuts whatever point it's trying to make about class or whatever, but it probably works okay as a lurid thriller. My brother and his wife were watching it while I was watching something on my laptop, I wasn't paying full attention.

I mean she doesn't seem overtly racist so she's got that over Zahler.

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 7, 2024

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I'm curious what you all thought of FOE on Amazon. I'm ending the movie not sure how i feel.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I finally got around to watching La La Land (thanks Netflix), and drat what an amazing movie.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Papercut posted:

I finally got around to watching La La Land (thanks Netflix), and drat what an amazing movie.

Maybe I'll watch it as a double feature with the season finale of The Curse!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

graventy posted:

I had to look this up, but it was her father-in-law. Her dad created a jewelry empire, which is part of why Saltburn rings so hollow. It mocks the rich lightly for being goofy but still completely loves them otherwise.
Thanks for the research honestly cuz this just checks out even more, in the back of my head "cop dad" seemed too blue collar for "Emerald Fennell"

Edit: and fennel is one of my favorite things to harvest on a hike so this strikes me deep

I don't even mean to come into Saltburn with prejudice I've just gotten a lot of my friends whose opinions I respect saying it has iffy things to say about queerness and class. I'll definitely see it to find out. 🤷‍♂️

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jan 7, 2024

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean she doesn't seem overtly racist so she's got that over Zahler.
The only benefit of being white would be the ability to finally finish Brawl in Cell Block 99. I really did try.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Never seen high plains drifter before Netflix recommended it to me due to the large amount of thumbs up
It's not long into the movie where the hero rapes someone -yeesh
Looking into it, screenplay by the creator of shaft

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I don't think I'd describe Eastwood as the "hero" of that movie but yeah that part's pretty horrible. It's certainly portrayed as good that he rapes her and it's entirely unjustifiable.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Upsidads posted:

Never seen high plains drifter before Netflix recommended it to me due to the large amount of thumbs up
It's not long into the movie where the hero rapes someone -yeesh
Looking into it, screenplay by the creator of shaft

Why Eastwood does the terrible things that he does and how you feel about it is the central question of the movie. Depiction is certainly not endorsement.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

girl boss neoliberal Craig S Zahler

lmao

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

buffalo all day posted:

Why Eastwood does the terrible things that he does and how you feel about it is the central question of the movie. Depiction is certainly not endorsement.

Id argue the follow up joke that the victim is mad that he didn't come back for more is

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Just watched The Creator last night and yeah it was a bit rushed towards the end and the script could've been better, but drat if it was slick and stylish. The action was pretty well directed too and it was cool!

I swear if you pair Gareth Edwards with an actual screenwriter he would go places. But what he has here is pretty good. 3 and a 1/2 stars!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Just watched May December and I really enjoyed it. The one thing that kept bothering me throughout it, though, was Julianne Moore's lisp, which came and went throughout the movie, sometimes even disappearing and reappearing from line to line. At first I thought maybe it was an affectation she put on when she was presenting herself as naive or a victim, making it a sort of Jekell and Hyde linguistic tell, but then the more I paid attention to her lines that wasn't the case. Did anyone else notice this?