Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

JackSplater posted:

fun fact: according to the Blizzard forums, that number can't be changed. So I'm stuck with an absolutely terrible one. Thanks, Blizzard :sigh:

It can, actually: if you change your Battle.net name, your number will be changed along with it. Mine went from a three-digit to a five-digit when I shortened my username.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

GunnerJ posted:

Did you get 1488 or something

Yes.

Kith posted:

It can, actually: if you change your Battle.net name, your number will be changed along with it. Mine went from a three-digit to a five-digit when I shortened my username.

Hm, I'll have to look into that. On one hand, giving blizzard money nowadays. On the other, getting rid of it.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

JackSplater posted:

Hm, I'll have to look into that. On one hand, giving blizzard money nowadays. On the other, getting rid of it.

You should have one free name change if you've never changed it before.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Noted, found, and changed. Thank you. The app and the FAQ both said that I'd have to pay to get it changed, but going to their website directly had the free option buried in account settings.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

JackSplater posted:

Noted, found, and changed. Thank you. The app and the FAQ both said that I'd have to pay to get it changed, but going to their website directly had the free option buried in account settings.

Hell yeah, happy to help. :tipshat:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

drat :rip: Glad there was a happy ending here tho!

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

im sorry every one. the throne of heroes ran out of new heroic spirits so the grail had to summon existing ones in swimsuits instead

Oberndorf posted:

Hell, about a year after Legacy came out, my computer started overheating and shutting down whenever Protoss were onscreen. Can’t really play anything that way.

I ran into that too. The cause was the game basically drawing frames way too much on static screens when it didn't need to. Temp workaround was setting a hard frame rate limit in the game config. Eventually someone, nvidia or amd or blizzard, patched it, that bug should be long gone.

https://www.pcgamer.com/starcraft-ii-overheating-fix/

Man. I want in on the co-op but I won't have a predictable schedule for months. Bisby gonna record that and put a laugh track over it, right?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Note to self: if I'm ever designing an autogenerated number ID system, make sure it skips over 1488

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

VostokProgram posted:

Note to self: if I'm ever designing an autogenerated number ID system, make sure it skips over 1488

You might have to set up a bot to ban all the people who send in support tickets requesting their number be changed to it, too.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

bladededge posted:

Man. I want in on the co-op but I won't have a predictable schedule for months. Bisby gonna record that and put a laugh track over it, right?

Eh, I'm only doing one race of co-op commanders per game, so you have like a full year for things to settle down before the last commander is covered.

SteveSteveSteve
Sep 6, 2023
I don't think I could assist in the co-op either with my erratic schedule and time zone, but I look forward to seeing the footage anyway. Co-op is honestly the main reason why I still have a Battle.net launcher on my computer, and that grind to level 1000 is real and ever on my mind.

Will this cover all the maps available to be comprehensive, or just one? Will there also be any playing around with mutators?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

SteveSteveSteve posted:

Will this cover all the maps available to be comprehensive, or just one? Will there also be any playing around with mutators?

All maps will be played at least once, but no mutators. Some maps will be used less than others just because I hate the mission.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Bisby, I had a thought. Do you think the form should include a list of preferred/proficient commanders in case you want to show off specific synergies?

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

BisbyWorl posted:

As a reminder, B.Net has a number identifier on accounts. If you forgot to add it, you'll have to re-submit your submission.

:sweatdrop: Whoops. Shows how much I use bnet, I guess. Resubbed.

Kith posted:

Bisby, I had a thought. Do you think the form should include a list of preferred/proficient commanders in case you want to show off specific synergies?

Or who you even have unlocked for that matter, considering 80% are pay-to-play.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Oh god, yeah, I only have like a handful…

And I’ve only ever played two of them. :shepface:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Kith posted:

Nah I'm not going that in-depth. I'll mention some simple synergies when they come up, but I won't tell someone to gently caress off just because they don't play a specific commander.

There's one commander I won't allow use of for a while, but that's more for comedy reasons than anything else.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Hanson's not a commander, though?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

JackSplater posted:

Hanson's not a commander, though?

When we said she was never mentioned again, we meant it. Even loving Stettman got a commander.

edit: No Tosh either.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hanson would just have a standard army except every ten minutes it swaps between Terran and Zerg

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Warmachine posted:

When we said she was never mentioned again, we meant it. Even loving Stettman got a commander.

edit: No Tosh either.

Or Selendis, to name the one I kept expecting that never happened.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

She was planned, but never implemented. There's a bunch of data for her in the editor, along with Warfield and some others.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Did they have trouble filling out the Zerg roster, or just got bored of making $5 packages noone would buy?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Felinoid posted:

Did they have trouble filling out the Zerg roster, or just got bored of making $5 packages noone would buy?

They just kinda abandoned SC2 altogether. If anything, by the time they got to Stettman and Arcturus, they were reaching for ideas.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

It was Starcraft 2 being strangled to death by the demand for it to be as profitable as WoW (which was never going to happen anyways, but we must chase the SHAREHOLDER VALUE). There were many more content drops in the pipeline that got flushed because Activision brass wanted the numbers to go up more.

Warmachine posted:

They just kinda abandoned SC2 altogether. If anything, by the time they got to Stettman and Arcturus, they were reaching for ideas.

Not as much as you'd imagine. There are still a good amount of army concepts floating around - the problem with those characters were "we want X character and that demands Y gameplay themes", which only sort of worked out because they had to jump through some pretty abstract hoops to make that happen.

Kith fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 8, 2024

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

im sorry every one. the throne of heroes ran out of new heroic spirits so the grail had to summon existing ones in swimsuits instead

Kith posted:

Not as much as you'd imagine. There are still a good amount of army concepts floating around - the problem with those characters were "we want X character and that demands Y gameplay themes", which only sort of worked out because they had to jump through some pretty abstract hoops to make that happen.

Starcraft 2 should have had three new armies, each a combo of a previous army, since Blizz of the time sure seemed like they were setting those combo armies up for a potential sequel. Terran/Zerg hybrid for Stukov, Zerg/Protoss for hybrids, Protoss/Terran for Raynor's Raiders.

Fair credit, we got one of those concepts in a co-op commander at least! But I still want to see the aiur protoss / raynor's raiders hybrid force that could have been, if SC2 hadn't been so conservatively designed. Wraiths with shields. Teleporting ghosts. Dragoons carting around siege cannons. Humans with their psi potential unlocked, a plot point from the background material used for Kerrigan and not much otherwise. Bunch of neat possibilities there.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Warmachine posted:

I remember one of devs mentioning that single WoW mount earned them more money than entire SC2

bladededge posted:

But I still want to see the aiur protoss / raynor's raiders hybrid force that could have been, if SC2 hadn't been so conservatively designed. Wraiths with shields. Teleporting ghosts. Dragoons carting around siege cannons. Humans with their psi potential unlocked, a plot point from the background material used for Kerrigan and not much otherwise. Bunch of neat possibilities there.

Try Moebius Mod for Wings of Liberty, it's basically Terrans with Protoss tech.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Intermission 1.5

Video: Meeting Izsha

Well, we're putting Char off for a bit.

The first thing Kerrigan finds is a Leviathan.

Kerrigan has gone from Glowy Pupils to Glowy Eyes.

It's enough to make all the zerg here back down.

A gaping maw opens up.

And a... whatever that is pops out of the ceiling.

And ever so conveniently, Kerrigan finds the one Leviathan that has the Queen of Blades' backup storage. Who knows, maybe we will find out about her deal in Wings.

There's a bit of Haven's quantum superposition fuckery in play here. No matter what planet you pick first, you always find Izsha.

I'm a bit iffy on Izsha's design. On one hand, the way her arms are fused into her torso and she uses those hair tentacles as 'hands' is cool. On the other, the fact that her face is mostly human is lame because they made a major new zerg character far less alien than the rest of the Swarm. Izsha is the Matt Horner of Heart (as well as the zerg announcer), to give an idea on how much we'll be seeing her.

The Swarm is in disarray, and will not answer your call. Most zerg on Kaldir are under the command of broodmother Nafash. She seeks to create her own Swarm. While she lives, the Swarm will be divided.

It is sorta funny how the main reason Kerrigan can't just march on Mengsk right this second is due to an internal power struggle amongst the zerg.

Not for long, it won't. Take us down to the surface.

We cut to the Leviathan's... bridge?

Where a maw opens up to reveal...

A frozen Hive.

The Leviathan is Heart's version of the Hyperion. It has the same purpose of fiddling with upgrades and chatting with people between missions, but is significantly slimmed down in comparison. This room and the Evolution Chamber are the only locales, with the two locked options (Including the Archives. Why would you lock the Archives?) being simple menus.

>Talk to Izsha.

And it can take me to any world I wish?

Of course, my queen. But our numbers are few. Before conquering other worlds, you may wish to reclaim your forces here on Kaldir.

Leave the strategy to me. Now what else can I do on this Leviathan?

You can evolve and upgrade your swarm in the Evolution Pit. The creature Abathur can help you.

>Examine Hatchery.

Well it looks like we have one more person to meet.

Video: Meeting Abathur

Thank god some of the new characters here are horrifying abominations.

Abathur's cool.

I am the Queen of Blades!

Different. Examining genetic strands. Queen of Blades was efficient, ancient zerg qualities. Minor terran influence.

The Overmind? Mengsk? The Hybrid Apocalypse? He doesn't give a single iota of a poo poo. All he cares about is improving the Swarm.

The Evolution Pit is the new Armory, where we can see our units and give them new tools. There's also that faded out Evolution Mission button, which will come into play later.

Bizarrely, not every unit shows up here, meaning they never get upgrades. The Swarm Queen, for example, is the exact same from beginning to end.

>Talk to Abathur.

Kaldir as cold as deep space. Other than leviathan, no reason to specialize Swarm for such cold.

Is that an excuse?

Wasteful to spin unnecessary adaptations. Complexity bad. Not needed before. Needed now. Will look for local fauna. Essence useful for Swarm adaptation.

Nice to see that Keep It Simple, Stupid is a core tenet of Abathur's design philosophy.

Do it.

>Examine Zergling.

Once chosen, will activate sequences within creature. Improve combat potential. Mutation choice, not permanent. Can alter at any time.

Unlike Wings, where all upgrades were permanent and you had a fixed amount of resources, Heart makes things a bit more freeform. All units in the Chamber have three possible upgrades, but only one can be active at a time and I can change which one is used between missions.

For the Zergling I can pick between a health boost-

An attack speed boost-

And a movement speed boost.

I pick the last one. It'll help my Zerglings close the gap faster, plus make them take far less time to either reinforce my army or respond to an attack.

Time to go hunt us a Broodmother.

It is unknown if she will join you willingly.

Where Wings had credits and two types of research for mission rewards, Heart slims things down. The majority of missions will give Kerrigan levels as a main reward, and occasionally unlock an Evolution Mission in the Chamber. Bonus missions will always give levels.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

BisbyWorl posted:

Bizarrely, not every unit shows up here, meaning they never get upgrades. The Swarm Queen, for example, is the exact same from beginning to end.

The reason for this is a combination of balance concerns and production costs. The production cost thing I'll touch on later, but for now I can talk about the balance concerns: some dummied out data remains in the editor for Swarm Queens and they could get mean, to the point where you could effortlessly beat the entirety of HotS with just Swarm Queens. Of course, there are a lot of units that you can do that with, but Swarm Queens can be built from Hatcheries once you have a Spawning Pool, so you wouldn't have to tech up in any meaningful way.

Thankfully, there's a Co-Op Commander who can juice up Swarm Queens to absolutely unreasonable levels, so we'll eventually have the opportunity to see what that looks like.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

And of course, the real reason is the abomination, a unit so powerful and slappy that it only makes sense it isn't juiced up further.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Wait, people take something other than adrenal glands on zerglings?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

JackSplater posted:

Wait, people take something other than adrenal glands on zerglings?

The move fast upgrade makes them move stupidly fast. With zerglings life expectancy and the decreased number of attacks taken before the zerglings attack, the damage loss at this point in the game isn't so terrible to make one of the two the objectively better pick when you factor in the map mobility the speed provides.

The hp one is just bad, though. I have no idea why you would ever go for it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Hell yeah Abathur is the best. Steve Blum at his Blumiest.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Abathur is up there with Valerian for 'favorite characters of SC2.'

There isn't a lot of competition, but "efficiency at all costs" and "I am a genius! OH NO!" both make me smile.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The speed boost and one of the Zergling evolutions were basically my bread and butter response for "I need a whole bunch of cheap ground attackers/defenders at this particular place RIGHT THE gently caress NOW" situations in my own playthrough of the campaign. Sure, there were probably better options, but Zerg was always the race I just never could quite play at peak performance, even with all of the handholding the campaign does.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

It starts. Essence essence essence essence essence are you guys essencemons?

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

The Zergling upgrade is a difficult choice, because the attack speed buff and the movement speed buff are both absolutely essential for multiplayer, although the attack speed buff can only be researched in the late game. It makes zerglings ridiculously more powerful.

Also, Abathur rules. Best character of this expansion, second best character overall.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

First time seeing either and I have to agree, Abathur rocks, Izsha seems lame. What's even the point of playing chitinous abominations if you are going to give them human faces.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's the lips, I think. Give her some sort of chitinous mouth rather than black lipstick and Izsha's design would balance nicely.

Abathur is great fun as a character, although the logic behind him never really sat right with me. The Overmind having a designer is a division of labour that doesn't really gel with the whole hivemind thing, to me. Shouldn't he and his cerebrates be capable of designing mutations themselves?
Now, Kerrigan needing a designer, that makes a bit more sense. She's still got human limitations to work around and doesn't have an inborn understanding of DNA. I would be fully behind the idea if Abathur had been an old cerebrate that Kerrigan kept alive to do the grunt work of gene sequencing for her.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Tenebrais posted:

I would be fully behind the idea if Abathur had been an old cerebrate that Kerrigan kept alive to do the grunt work of gene sequencing for her.

Proposal: much like Matt is the SC1 magistrate (according to Blizzard he isn't), Abathur is Steve (I'm not sure but I think officially Steve got murked by Zera & co before Brood War)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Omobono posted:

Proposal: much like Matt is the SC1 magistrate (according to Blizzard he isn't), Abathur is Steve (I'm not sure but I think officially Steve got murked by Zera & co before Brood War)

Specifically, Steve actually got assassinated by Tassadar after Episode 2, but before we meet with him in Episode 3, proof that he was learning to wield Dark Templar energies.