Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I believe this up until the point I sit my butt into a late model rental and plug in and somehow there's no android auto???

I don't like swapping cars in a self choice lot because the whole forgetting baggage after waking up at 4am and being brain dead by 9 am but that's an instant fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

zedprime posted:

I believe this up until the point I sit my butt into a late model rental and plug in and somehow there's no android auto???

I don't like swapping cars in a self choice lot because the whole forgetting baggage after waking up at 4am and being brain dead by 9 am but that's an instant fail.
well then you're going to love this
https://www.motortrend.com/news/general-motors-removing-apple-carplay-android-auto-for-safety-tim-babbitt/

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I was just looking for that to post.

This has nothing at all to do with safety, it's all about monthly recurring revenue. It's just shameless.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Fortunately I can't remember the last time I had a rental that wasn't a toyota or hyundai

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

zedprime posted:

Hello, me. I think I've lost 3 jackets now (dark fabric in dark trunk, frequently in a dim parking garage). I've been lucky with bags but mine are obnoxiously colored.

Lately I've been leaving my bags/crap on the ground behind an open door. If my phone works with the rental, then I load it. If not, moving on to the next one. You do kind of get a mental short list (I pulled Malibus all summer; a few years back I avoided Toyotas for some tech reason since resolved).

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Some of those reasons make a lot of sense at face value but also every automaker who has set out to make their infotainment compete with a phone OS seems to have given up a couple years into 0 adoption. And also I'd trust a consortium actually trying to fix car UIX standards instead of GM who's entire business model seems to be selling ongoing services.

pumped up for school posted:

Hello, me. I think I've lost 3 jackets now (dark fabric in dark trunk, frequently in a dim parking garage). I've been lucky with bags but mine are obnoxiously colored.

Lately I've been leaving my bags/crap on the ground behind an open door. If my phone works with the rental, then I load it. If not, moving on to the next one. You do kind of get a mental short list (I pulled Malibus all summer; a few years back I avoided Toyotas for some tech reason since resolved).
My mental short list is cars I don't want to buy (summer: Charger, winter: Impala. I'm about to lose status so it's probably back to Malibus for a while). But sometimes I want to try cars I might buy which is where I usually get bamboozled as all the models id actually want to buy don't have fleet advantaged contracts with poo poo rear end Hertz so it's all old base models.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I already have "not a GM" in my mental list of rental car preferences. It's about to become an absolutely rigid rule.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I already have "not a GM" in my mental list of rental car preferences. It's about to become an absolutely rigid rule.
GM cars are the ones that will light up the reverse lights when you're in park and engine is off?? Yeah, do never buy.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Cage posted:

GM cars are the ones that will light up the reverse lights when you're in park and engine is off?? Yeah, do never buy.

I've noticed this on a handful of cars and it makes me nuts. I see a car parked in a parking lot and the reverse lights are on. Is it safe to proceed past them, or are they going to blindly ram into me as I pass? Such a braindead design choice.

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.
I've been looking at used 2023 Mazda CX-50s over the last week and I've come across two within 50 miles of my area: A Wind Chill Pearl with 2.9K miles and a Blue Ingot Metallic with 5.9K miles. Assuming those Carfax links work, the white CX-50 with 2.9K miles doesn't list an owner... The dealership took delivery in March 2023 and has apparently had it the entire time. I'm guessing this may have been a demo car for the dealership or a loaner vehicle? If so, any cause for concern? I've skimmed through Google searches with mixed results on whether to avoid demo vehicles or not. The blue CX-50 with 5.9K miles shows the transfer case was replaced after less than 4K miles, which gives me some concern as well. Again, another quick Google search shows a couple of other owners have had to get their transfer case replaced under warranty. I'm wondering if I should avoid this particular CX-50 or, since a part already went bad and was replaced, that's one less thing to worry about?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Zorak of Michigan posted:

The only thing that might save it as a rental is that they include their own service for two years post-sale, so theoretically most GM rental vehicles should still have it enabled.

Absolutely loving stupid move on GM's part, though. I certainly won't ever buy a newer GM product as long as that's going.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

They did move to an android based system that doesn't require a phone connection. My folks have it in their Yukon and it's pretty legit. Don't see a need to pair my phone when I can just load up Waze or whatever and install it on the car system.

If that's what they're moving forward with I'm okay with it. Only phone pairing would be for calls.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I found the huge GM sedans to be good rentals since they are pretty good highway cruisers

They are pretty rare these days and I mostly get those hosed up CUVs

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I’m am missing something because Bolts seem like an amazing deal if you’re getting the 7500 at point of sale. The 32k top trim becomes a 25k vehicle. It’s got more HP and torque than the 1.3L and 1.5L engines GM is putting into their low end vehicles. Yes it’s DC fast charging really sucks but if you’re plugging in at night and not road tripping who cares.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Mustache Ride posted:

They did move to an android based system that doesn't require a phone connection. My folks have it in their Yukon and it's pretty legit. Don't see a need to pair my phone when I can just load up Waze or whatever and install it on the car system.

If that's what they're moving forward with I'm okay with it. Only phone pairing would be for calls.

If it was just replacing it with a like-for-like featureset, it'd be bad enough (right back to the stagnant, never-updated GPS of pre-AA/Carplay cars from the late '00s). But they're going to charge you monthly fees for functionality that's literally free in anything with AA/Carplay.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah that's how they get you, data cell service for your car, but only though approved (re: at&t) providers.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Calidus posted:

I’m am missing something because Bolts seem like an amazing deal if you’re getting the 7500 at point of sale. The 32k top trim becomes a 25k vehicle. It’s got more HP and torque than the 1.3L and 1.5L engines GM is putting into their low end vehicles. Yes it’s DC fast charging really sucks but if you’re plugging in at night and not road tripping who cares.

Bolt is an excellent car even at its original price point. Buy one before they go extinct

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
But then you're in a GM product so you have to trade the shame off vs the money you've saved

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Evil Robot posted:

But then you're in a GM product so you have to trade the shame off vs the money you've saved

I bought a Buick in my 30s I have no shame left.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

CheshireCat posted:

I've been looking at used 2023 Mazda CX-50s over the last week and I've come across two within 50 miles of my area: A Wind Chill Pearl with 2.9K miles and a Blue Ingot Metallic with 5.9K miles. Assuming those Carfax links work, the white CX-50 with 2.9K miles doesn't list an owner... The dealership took delivery in March 2023 and has apparently had it the entire time. I'm guessing this may have been a demo car for the dealership or a loaner vehicle? If so, any cause for concern? I've skimmed through Google searches with mixed results on whether to avoid demo vehicles or not. The blue CX-50 with 5.9K miles shows the transfer case was replaced after less than 4K miles, which gives me some concern as well. Again, another quick Google search shows a couple of other owners have had to get their transfer case replaced under warranty. I'm wondering if I should avoid this particular CX-50 or, since a part already went bad and was replaced, that's one less thing to worry about?

Why are you focused on buying a used version of a car that’s only been in production for about 18 months? There are not going to be many used options and I doubt you’re saving that much money. If you want to go used and save money you need to be looking at the CX-5.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Well, they hid it well at first, but the local Hyundai/Genesis place finally proved that the terrible reputation of Hyundai dealers was well-earned.

Quoted me 12 grand over MSRP for a GV70. When I pointed that out, their reply (and again, this is from a salesman that had been quite pleasant to deal with to this point) was:

quote:

We do sell most of our Genesis at a Premium and offer window tinting, key fob replacement, nitrogen in the tires, dent and ding repair, $2500 theft protection, identity theft protection, travel allowances, and a lifetime warranty. How can I earn your business?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

We got a 2023 Bolt EUV, not the exact trim and package that we wanted but we feel we got a good deal. $1k under MSRP + $7500 point of sale discount/tax credit + good trade value despite a scratch on the bumper + GM pays up too $1k for the installation of of level 2 charger. My wife really likes the car, GM did a lot right on this thing.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I visited a dealer a few days ago, they looked at my Impala and made a trade in offer. It's a 2012 LT with 135000 miles, I looked up KBB for a good condition car and for trade in it said about $2-4k.

The salesman said "wholesale is $2500 but we need to spend $3500 to recondition the car so technically you should pay us $1000 to take the car, but we know that won't happen. Since you bought it here, we will be nice and give you $2000."

I know KBB is not like a gold standard, but is it normal for dealers to use their own system to get a wholesale value and then subtract reconditioning value? I feel like it was just a high pressure tactic in part because I originally bought the car from this chain. I don't believe I will go back for two reasons, they said they are a "no haggle" dealer, and second the windshield price on every vehicle is actually $799 less because every vehicle on their lot has mandatory "paint protection package" applied. They did NOT do paint protection crap 10 years ago when I bought my car from them.

This paint protection is some clear molding on the door edges, and clear stickers inside the door handles to prevent fingernails from scratching the paint. In my opinion, having the sticker around the door handle looked kinda ugly, and when it's applied to a used 100000 mile vehicle all of the scratches will still be underneath the sticker. Are scratches under the door handle something easy to fix DIY or at Maaco?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

lol “recondition”. A trade-in at that price just gets sold at auction immediately.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

smackfu posted:

lol “recondition”. A trade-in at that price just gets sold at auction immediately.
Thanks, that makes me feel even better about the $3k I wasted invested on the suspension a couple years ago.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Not Wolverine posted:

Thanks, that makes me feel even better about the $3k I wasted invested on the suspension a couple years ago.

Maintaining safety items on your vehicle isn't an investment nor is it optional. It's a requirement.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Motronic posted:

Maintaining safety items on your vehicle isn't an investment nor is it optional. It's a requirement.
Except the level of work I had done was not safety related. I replaced a passenger side hub that was only a year old because I wanted to have matching hubs up front, I replaced excellent condition callipers. I wanted to know everything suspension and brake related had been replaced at 110000 miles instead of guessing at the mileage when/if anything went wrong. A lot of the reason I had the work done, including the unnecessary work, was because the shop had a warranty on work they performed and I wanted to be able to go back on them if any went wrong and not have a reason for them to say something like "when we fixed your brakes we changed the brake lines but didn't replace your pads so the brake failure is totally not our fault".

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 4, 2024

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Not Wolverine posted:

Except the level of work I had done was not safety related. I replaced a passenger side hub that was only a year old because I wanted to have matching hubs up front, I replaced excellent condition callipers. I wanted to know everything suspension and brake related had been replaced at 110000 miles instead of guessing at the mileage when/if anything went wrong. A lot of the reason I had the work done, including the unnecessary work, was because the shop had a warranty on work they performed and I wanted to be able to go back on them if any went wrong and not have a reason for them to say something like "when we fixed your brakes we changed the brake lines but didn't replace your pads so the brake failure is totally not our fault".

The "lifetime warranty" is only useful/valuable if you still own the vehicle. Your decision making doesn't sound great in this instance because if they were going to do things like that then you shouldn't place any value on their warranty anyway. But why would you now try to trade this in after spending that kind of money on it?

Also, they're doing what car dealers do: lying to you. You car isn't worth much more than they are offering because it's a 12 year old fairly undesirable domestic sedan but their reasons are pretty hilarious. If you do trade it in it will be going to the auction, not their lot. If you want more money you have to sell it private party. It's in the price range for someone to buy for their 16 year old that just got their license so if the wreck it it can be carted off to the crusher with little remorse.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Motronic posted:

The "lifetime warranty" is only useful/valuable if you still own the vehicle. Your decision making doesn't sound great in this instance because if they were going to do things like that then you shouldn't place any value on their warranty anyway. But why would you now try to trade this in after spending that kind of money on it?

Also, they're doing what car dealers do: lying to you. You car isn't worth much more than they are offering because it's a 12 year old fairly undesirable domestic sedan but their reasons are pretty hilarious. If you do trade it in it will be going to the auction, not their lot. If you want more money you have to sell it private party. It's in the price range for someone to buy for their 16 year old that just got their license so if the wreck it it can be carted off to the crusher with little remorse.
The warranty on the work was 1 years parts and labor. Overall, I think for the amount of work I had done it was a better price than most other shops in the area. As for why I want to replace it now, I can't see past money spent as a reason to justify keeping the vehicle. Just because I spent that money doesn't mean the car is actually worth that much, there is no way for me to get that money back besides just running the car into the ground.

But yes, I agree they are lying about the whole "reconditioning" cost, I think $3k for trade in a reasonable value for the car, I'm just annoyed how they said it as if they are making some kind of special deal for customer loyalty. I think what they were doing is they will not come down on price ("no haggle") but they will give more for the trade in.
. But I don't think they are offering any more for the trade in than any other dealer would offer. In addition, I'm disappointed with the $799 paint protection fee that is "mandatory" on every vehicle, if it's mandatory that should be included in their sticker price.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 4, 2024

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Not Wolverine posted:

I'm disappointed with the $799 paint protection fee that ks "mandatory" on every vehicle, if it's mandatory that should be included in their sticker price.

I would be more than 'disappointed' with this especially if the final out the door price is higher than market for this vehicle you're seeking.

The exception is if the pain of finding another car at a lower price outweighs the gouging they are doing, you may need to be ok with the gouging.

Personally I might say a deal is off unless they can bring the price down $800 or increase the trade-in, but they'll probably walk and find another buyer.

as for the actual "paint protection", it's probably a ceramic wax product that is applied by some detailing shops by me for about $150-200, it lasts a few months or a year. The product itself I'm sure can be bought for like 25 bux.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 4, 2024

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You mean you replaced the whole brake caliper that was in good condition because you were worried about the warranty on a brake line replacement?

What are you trying to trade the Impala toward?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
They did say part of it was a special wax job, most likely the ceramic wax you mentioned but I wasn't really paying attention to the salesman at that point. When they described the paint protection I was looking at a 2015 GMC with 150k miles and so long as it was not rusted to poo poo the paint was my last concern about that truck. But besides the price gouging I didn't like how part of the paint protection was stickers on the door handles to protect the paint, the stickers just looked bad.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 4, 2024

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

powderific posted:

You mean you replaced the whole brake caliper that was in good condition because you were worried about the warranty on a brake line replacement?

What are you trying to trade the Impala toward?
I mean two years ago I had everything replaced, with a 1 year warranty. I didn't want to have any old but usable parts left behind since I didn't want them to only "fix" the brakes and leave old parts. I didn't want to give them a chance to leave an old part behind and then charge me all the labor of taking everything apart again.

Recently, I replaced the whole caliper because the caliper itself was leaking, and it's out of the 1 year warranty from the shop. I'm glad it at least lasted 2 years, I'm a little disappointed it didn't last more than 2 years, but every other part seems to be holding up just fine so I'm hoping this caliper was just a manufacturing defect, I just wish it could have been caught within the warranty period.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Pulled the trigger on a GV70 Prestige trim in Oklahoma City. Flying out Saturday morning.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Keyser_Soze posted:

The thing had like 3,500 miles on it and shouldn't be completely worn out yet, and also had street tires - so I doubt anyone actually could get very far off a highway in it or more likely they did multiple off road courses/jumps and then somehow also destroyed the accelerator pedal, brakes, and transmission along with the entire suspension

By far the worst rental car I ever had. I don't understand why anyone owns one of these after driving it for 2 minutes.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Lexus ES 300h, what’s the deal? Are they cool or are they whack?

Any other options for a nice high MPG car? AWD a plus, but not a requirement.

I’m keeping the Alfa, this would be in addition for when I need to do some regional visits for work. Used options are fine.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Comfortable, quiet, reliable, and deadly dull. It sounds like it would fit your use case pretty well.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
If your looking used, cross shop the Avalon hybrid Limited too.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

loving Hyundai dealers.

Signed all the paperwork on the GV70. Flew into OKC. "Let's look at your new car!"

963 miles. All the paperwork I signed (for the same VIN) said 19 miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

GD_American posted:

loving Hyundai dealers.

Signed all the paperwork on the GV70. Flew into OKC. "Let's look at your new car!"

963 miles. All the paperwork I signed (for the same VIN) said 19 miles.

What did you do? That seems kinda fraudulent.