Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh44g9DVd6s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Carbon_Based_Life posted:

I will never understand how Coors Light can taste so much like extremely watered down armpit sweat, when Coors Banquet is so good.

Banquet has a different grain bill, comes out with a higher abv (5% vs ~4%) and a bit more malt flavor that comes through.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

titty_baby_ posted:

Theres nothing wrong with wanting to drink less alcohol
I never intended to cut it out completely, but to reduce, largely because of calories. My maximum amount was during lockdown where I probably drank 6-8 pints a week. Starting last year I reduced to weekends only, maybe 2 a day. At the beginning of 2023, I had intended to almost stop drinking entirely but did not.

Visiting my brother-in-law over the summer, he had Athletic beer and wow, I really liked it! A kind of bonkers reaction given that I've only been drinking beer for about 10 years. From my late teens into my late 30s, I could never get into the taste and now...I'm drinking non-alcoholic beer for the taste.

I actually got so into the Athletic stuff that I ordered a variety case from them since they only offer a minor selection here on the east coast. I plan on giving a six pack of selections to my brother-in-law for Christmas.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Cheesus posted:

I never intended to cut it out completely, but to reduce, largely because of calories. My maximum amount was during lockdown where I probably drank 6-8 pints a week. Starting last year I reduced to weekends only, maybe 2 a day. At the beginning of 2023, I had intended to almost stop drinking entirely but did not.

Visiting my brother-in-law over the summer, he had Athletic beer and wow, I really liked it! A kind of bonkers reaction given that I've only been drinking beer for about 10 years. From my late teens into my late 30s, I could never get into the taste and now...I'm drinking non-alcoholic beer for the taste.

I actually got so into the Athletic stuff that I ordered a variety case from them since they only offer a minor selection here on the east coast. I plan on giving a six pack of selections to my brother-in-law for Christmas.

Athletic was a big hit with the wife while she was pregnant, and non alcoholic beer is one of the biggest growth segments rn

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Cheesus posted:

I never intended to cut it out completely, but to reduce, largely because of calories.

I've been wondering about this and a cursory google search was no use. Can you absorb the calories in ethanol?

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Weka posted:

I've been wondering about this and a cursory google search was no use. Can you absorb the calories in ethanol?

Booze has a shitload of calories lol

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Dokapon Findom posted:

I would say the best beer I've ever had was a Flemish red sour ale

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Weka posted:

beer makes you fat as gently caress

ask me how I know

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Cheesus posted:

Been getting into nonalcolic beer since this fall.

Let the hating begin.
athletic has pretty good beers. their ipa is better than a lot of real ipas, and it's nice they're like 50-80 calories.

not beer but the Sierra Nevada hop juice is nice, kind of like a very hoppy la croix but it's got a little more body to it than just club soda.

e: I didn't see your next post. :)

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Lagunitas has a carbonated hop water with thc that scratches an itch i didnt know I had

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

One of my former roommates was a big guy (like 6'7, close to 400lbs) who drank a 6 pack of imperial ipas a night on average. He got down to like 250lbs in a year just by quitting alcohol.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
that’s over 2/3 of an allotment of daily calories on beer alone

Christ he probably he had a triple digit resting heart rate

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Two other reasons for my decision to go largely non alcoholic (as Im finishing an 8%APV double stout made with cinnamon crunch cereal with coffee, chocolate, vanilla sugars) :

1) It's become a cultural point of knowledge osmosis that a little alcohol is good for you! Scratch just the surface of those supporting documents and you'll find such reports and studies sponsored by the beer or wine industry.

Non tainted studies seem to say pretty conclusively that no amount of alcohol is good for you.

Earlier this year my other brother in law, who is the same age as I was diagnosed with colon cancer. He's a fairly active healthy guy and his only vice has been alcohol. He's had a hellish summer and fall of surgery and chemo, finally coming to an end (positively! He's not dying).

The docs can cite that they really dont know what causes cancer and you shouldn't worry about it, but in my mind, it seems like common sense that if you're get get cancer in part of your digestive system, maybe what you put into it can play a role and surely there's no harm in reducing or eliminating part of that.

2) As someone who enjoys the hunt for different tastes (like the gimmicky stuff I'm drinking now) after 10 years of chasing the dragon ...I've so far seen it all. I enjoy every beer I've had, from stout, ale, sour, IPA, etc but I feel like I've seen it all. The thrill of the chase is no longer there.

Again, at the moment I'm drinking a gimmicky as poo poo beer tonight. I bought it a few weeks ago and...yep, it tastes just like it did last year when the brewery made it seasonly then. It's fine, maybe I should have just picked a single can instead of my usual 4 pack. But I'm not feeling enticed to keep on the chase.

A couple of weeks ago I was shopping and instead of the usual local pilzner and IPA offerings from Athletic, I found some kind of lemon thing from them. I don't have the can in front of me but I don't think it's a shandy equivalent, but holy poo poo is it great!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Weka posted:

i suspect you do not absorb all of them because your body is trying to process and eliminate the ethanol from your system rather than digest it. but also i think it's clear that alcohol is not a zero calorie beverage.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Cheesus posted:

Two other reasons for my decision to go largely non alcoholic (as Im finishing an 8%APV double stout made with cinnamon crunch cereal with coffee, chocolate, vanilla sugars) :

1) It's become a cultural point of knowledge osmosis that a little alcohol is good for you! Scratch just the surface of those supporting documents and you'll find such reports and studies sponsored by the beer or wine industry.

Non tainted studies seem to say pretty conclusively that no amount of alcohol is good for you.

Earlier this year my other brother in law, who is the same age as I was diagnosed with colon cancer. He's a fairly active healthy guy and his only vice has been alcohol. He's had a hellish summer and fall of surgery and chemo, finally coming to an end (positively! He's not dying).

The docs can cite that they really dont know what causes cancer and you shouldn't worry about it, but in my mind, it seems like common sense that if you're get get cancer in part of your digestive system, maybe what you put into it can play a role and surely there's no harm in reducing or eliminating part of that.

2) As someone who enjoys the hunt for different tastes (like the gimmicky stuff I'm drinking now) after 10 years of chasing the dragon ...I've so far seen it all. I enjoy every beer I've had, from stout, ale, sour, IPA, etc but I feel like I've seen it all. The thrill of the chase is no longer there.

Again, at the moment I'm drinking a gimmicky as poo poo beer tonight. I bought it a few weeks ago and...yep, it tastes just like it did last year when the brewery made it seasonly then. It's fine, maybe I should have just picked a single can instead of my usual 4 pack. But I'm not feeling enticed to keep on the chase.

A couple of weeks ago I was shopping and instead of the usual local pilzner and IPA offerings from Athletic, I found some kind of lemon thing from them. I don't have the can in front of me but I don't think it's a shandy equivalent, but holy poo poo is it great!

metabolizing ethanol makes acetaldehyde, which is carcinogenic. it should get oxidized in the liver to be acetic acid, but it you drink a lot there's only so much the liver can do, so drinking in excess definitely causes cancer, especially if there are genetic factors at play limiting your ability to convert acetylaldehyde to acetic acid. acetylaldehyde is also one of the things that makes you hungover.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
guy who drinks a single ipa every 3 days: great scott I’ve got to cut this demonic beast of addiction from my life!!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I got six pack each of porter and amber for tomorrow so I'll be ready for whatever the day brings

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

the best beer is sad panda coffee stout. the second best beer is whatever the most sour poo poo you can find is

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Smythe posted:

guy who drinks a single ipa every 3 days: great scott I’ve got to cut this demonic beast of addiction from my life!!

Hea right

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

titty_baby_ posted:

Lagunitas has a carbonated hop water with thc that scratches an itch i didnt know I had

These are good but like, not even close to affordable for just being hoppy water. Yakima Valley sells a hop extract that you can add to plain seltzer that's still like thirty fuckin dollars

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

mad.radhu posted:

These are good but like, not even close to affordable for just being hoppy water. Yakima Valley sells a hop extract that you can add to plain seltzer that's still like thirty fuckin dollars

Well yeah its not affordable, its got thc in it. Its like $5 a bottle at least. Ive seen the normal ones you're talking about and I agree they're also overpriced. My coworker drinks them at work sometimes and I tell him he's an alcoholic

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

titty_baby_ posted:

Well yeah its not affordable, its got thc in it. Its like $5 a bottle at least. Ive seen the normal ones you're talking about and I agree they're also overpriced. My coworker drinks them at work sometimes and I tell him he's an alcoholic
I once took one took one of the normal ones work when nobody else was around and it still felt weird, wouldn't do it again.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Smythe posted:

I do this but for like one night a month where I drink two beers

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Dokapon Findom posted:

I would say the best beer I've ever had was a Flemish red sour ale

one of my go to beers if i feel like splurging. i once went to a tasting with some ultra rare aged thing, but it was way too vinegary for my tastes. this has a good balance.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

One of my go to beers if I feel like splooging lol

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Drinking that shiner cheer

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Drinking another pbr

Happy new beer

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

drinking a Firestone ipa my relatives left behind. It's not my favorite but it's free

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

mad.radhu posted:

we're looking into opening a brewery and the faddish stuff is what makes a lot of money and draws people in, but really all I want to make is just good solid beer that people will say "give me the usual" about

To juice the sales, give your beers a bunch of stupid gimmick names for morons like Evil Genius does. But then make them real solid good quality and boring

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Mr Hootington posted:

Drinking that shiner cheer

these are good

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

yeah I like the Bock well enough so I think I'd like tje cheer

It's not sold in my area tho

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

I'm sure there are plenty of things you like that end in -ock

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

crepeface posted:

one of my go to beers if i feel like splurging. i once went to a tasting with some ultra rare aged thing, but it was way too vinegary for my tastes. this has a good balance.

Yeah the Rodenbach is the best. I wish it were regularly available where I'm at

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Poppers posted:

I'm sure there are plenty of things you like that end in -ock

Bocks, socks, clocks, smocks, frocks, rocks...you may be onto something

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Dokapon Findom posted:

Yeah the Rodenbach is the best. I wish it were regularly available where I'm at

i'm pretty lucky. it's been easily available here for decades because the main importer for my extremely isolated area loves belgian/sour ale and has promoted it alot. i think we must drink a lot of it because we actually had cantilion swanze day twice in my city

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
havin a Kolsch-off in defiance of the stupid storm. one kolsch is pretty good, the other one is a bit too grainy

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

IPAs aren't the worst thing the British did to India but they're on the list

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

they should replace at least 90% of ipa with kölsch, pilsner, saison, kristallweizen, etc...

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

mawarannahr posted:

they should replace at least 90% of ipa with kölsch, pilsner, saison, kristallweizen, etc...

I agree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

mad.radhu posted:

My dad and I bought a home brew store this month, ask me how stupid I feel getting into the retail biz in the age of amazon

that’s cool and i hope it works out for you. our closest LHBS closed a couple years ago thanks to covid

gonna drive a little further out tomorrow to grab some ingredients to brew a saison. got any recipes you’d recommend? not planning to try my luck with open fermentation (yet)