Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Hell hath no fury like a Disney fan scorned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Silly Burrito posted:

I have been :actually: informed by Braks that the correct abbreviation for Disneyland is DLR and not DL. I feel like a big Dopey.

To me, Disneyland itself is just DL, but if you include the whole property (hotels, DCA, etc), it's DLR. With that said, I'm a very stubborn person.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."

smackfu posted:

What did they cancel? I see the half was shortened to 7 miles which is pretty sucky since that’s basically just the 10K.

Changed not cancelled - bad word choice

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Braksgirl - someday we are going to end up at a Disney park together at the same time

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Silly Burrito posted:

Braks and I are literally at Disneyland in line now for the Christmas Haunted Mansion. I haven’t been here since 1996, and so far we’re 2 for 2 for rides that feel completely different than Florida (Pirates, Big Thunder). It’s almost like rediscovering it all over again.

I do think it’s funny. We’re here for three days, and everything is still Christmas themed. On Monday it won’t be so I get to see DL with Christmas and without all in the same trip. Neat.

I love that the Holiday season lasts so long, we were able to catch the fake snow on Thursday night and will be rope dropping tomorrow to ride a few rides but basically eat as many Holiday treats as we can before it all goes away. So many Churros, funnel cakes and cold desserty drinks to consume!

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Anya posted:

Braksgirl - someday we are going to end up at a Disney park together at the same time

I know! We keep missing each other!

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Silly Burrito posted:

Hell hath no fury like a Disney fan scorned.

Someone has clearly never played Harry Potter trivia where the answer key was wrong.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Grundulum posted:

Someone has clearly never played Harry Potter trivia where the answer key was wrong.

No but I have played cruise 80s music trivia where the same thing happens. Probably about the same level of fury.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
I had a few roles that required proper nomenclature and dammit I love you Joe Rohde but SERIOUSLY.

EXPEDITION EVEREST: LEGEND OF THE FORBIDDEN MOUNTAIN? Having to refer to it as such every time? Under The Sea ~ Journey of the Little Mermaid?

Although when we were learning it all as tour guides I jokingly said just add "Resort and Spa" to every hotel and you'll be right like half the time.

DLR is Disneyland, ADR doesn't exist. Oh! The club level fastpasses never got an official name and we were specifically disallowed from writing about them in emails, but internally we called them Theme Park Extra or TPE. As in, I'm stuck on this TPE call I'm clocking out at least an hour late (happened to me my first day on phones).

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I like to think of them as Walt-likes

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I have reservations at Tusker House at 10:15 and Lunch starts at 11. Will I get to double dip and grab some lunch towards the end of my meal? Do I only have 45 minutes to grab breakfast? How's it work?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
16 hours straight of Disneyland from 8am-12am. Getting up in five hours to potentially do 14 hours straight of California Adventure.

My dogs are howling y’all.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Sorry if the terms are a bit different from the American ones because it’s Tokyo Disneyland. We went last month and are already going back in March.

For the Priority Pass, which I think is the Fast Pass in the US, can you do the ride as many times as possible during the time frame they give you? Say, as soon as you’re done Big Thunder, you can go back using the Priority Lane right after you finish? As many times as possible during the time allotted?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

hadji murad posted:

Sorry if the terms are a bit different from the American ones because it’s Tokyo Disneyland. We went last month and are already going back in March.

For the Priority Pass, which I think is the Fast Pass in the US, can you do the ride as many times as possible during the time frame they give you? Say, as soon as you’re done Big Thunder, you can go back using the Priority Lane right after you finish? As many times as possible during the time allotted?
Nope. You only get one use of the lane, that timeframe is an “arrive whenever during this” window.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
DL is OG Disneyland

DLR is Disneyland, the resort as a whole.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Anya, how did it go!? Were you able to conquer the beast and get some good photo ops?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
At the Spider-Man ride. Question. Is this Tom Holland?

I say no, she says yes.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I say yes, but not a flattering photo.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
It is. Just a lovely photo.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

That is very obviously Tom Holland

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Jose Oquendo posted:

It is. Just a lovely photo.

Look I was in line cut me some slack. ;)

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Yep, finally made it inside. It’s Tom Holland, it was a crappy photo.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

Yep, finally made it inside. It’s Tom Holland, it was a crappy photo.

Pro-tip: Try to sit in the middle two seats. From my experience the outside seats can have issues tracking your movements.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Jose Oquendo posted:

Pro-tip: Try to sit in the middle two seats. From my experience the outside seats can have issues tracking your movements.

Dang, read this too late, but had a blast anyway. 😄

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
It's a bad photo but in a way that's perfect in context.

90s movies are classic now :stonk:

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI
Went to Legoland Orlando for the first time this weekend for my daughter's 5th birthday.

We go to Disneyworld like 5 times a year for a week at a time (I live in Coral Springs so I'm not super far) and are annual passholders.

Honestly, Legoland is kinda a dump. It feels like a county fair with Lego statues randomly spread about. It's dirty as poo poo, every ride had literally one operator, and nearly every kiosk or quick service was closed. Everything was just so slow. Nobody knew anything. Ask an employee a question and if it wasn't a blank-eyed stare, they'd refer us to guest services.

We stayed at the Pirate Island wing of the hotel. The theming was super cool and the kids loved it. They had a blast with the in-room scavenger hunt and the Lego prizes, etc. But the food was just beyond cruel. We paid nearly $200 for overcooked "flank steak", shrimp that may as well have been rubber, a chicken leg quarter where the juicy part (the meat) was dry and the part you want crispy (the skin) was wet, and the pork tasted like a rehydrated pork rind without the good parts.

Breakfast wasn't much better. Batch-fried oily bacon, biscuits and gravy where the gravy was just cheese sauce with red pepper flakes and crumbled sausage in it. We didn't even try the eggs because they were just those weird rear end prescrambled eggs from a carton.

Thankfully we ate at the sushi place nearby (Tsunami sushi). It was super solid. Nothing mind-blowing but we really enjoyed it.

The old Big Cypress Gardens area was nice, as was the pirate river cruise, but most of the other rides were straight out of a 1980's carnival.

This trip made us realize that while Disneyworld trips are expensive as gently caress, it just hits different.

All said, would we go back to Legoland? As it stands, no. It feels like a place that's about to close down forever. Maybe in a few years it gets new life, but for now we're not gonna be back for quite some time.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The actual Lego owners bought out the company that owns Legoland a few years ago (it was just licensed for a long period before that, though originally had actually been started by Lego) and I remember people hoping it would mean improvements, but I guess not.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 8, 2024

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

I wonder if the fact that it's January made it worse. We went to Legloand last June, and while the park is definitely showing its age, we didn't experience poor customer service, all the food was open in the park, and it felt properly staffed the entire time. I can agree that the hotel food is poo poo, though, and the rides are meant for a younger crowd.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
We are letting our passes to DLR expire in February, but we actually reupped our passes to Legoland CA this year for multiple reasons.

The obvious reason is cost, Legoland is maybe $250/person per year including access to the water park and all the Halloween parties. But the main reason, and I realized it again this morning as we rope dropped DCA, is that Legoland is full of kids. Tons of kids, of all ages, up to early teens. Kids everywhere! Disneyland visitors as a majority are adults, and as a result there are less free-flowing play areas and time management is a huge deal which is tough when dealing with kids' varied interests. Legoland CA has multiple play structures and movies that play multiple times a day, and yeah the rides are poo poo but there are Lego-building areas everywhere. My kids actually prefer it to Disneyland, I think because they feel more comfortable there with other kids and they have more freedom there than at DLR. Disneyland has one play area per park for little kids, and both can get absolutely swamped - and again a lot of those folks are adults, which just makes the play area feel different for little kids.

The other reason is the Halloween party, we still have a suitcase full of candy we are working through from Halloween 2023. At the end of each party, they are just shoveling the stuff into your backpack.

I am no fan of Legoland, I agree that their operation is 2nd-rate to Disneyland and their rides are mediocre, but my kids absolutely love it so that's who gets my money these days.

Cardamommy Issues
Feb 16, 2005

I've waited around for more important things
My 4 year old and I rode disco kitty drop at Legoland CA 10 times in a row during the offseason because nobody was in line. It’s nowhere near as good as Disneyland but it has its pluses and I really like the big spaces. It’s great for kids.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

EngineerJoe posted:

I have reservations at Tusker House at 10:15 and Lunch starts at 11. Will I get to double dip and grab some lunch towards the end of my meal? Do I only have 45 minutes to grab breakfast? How's it work?

Yes! My wife used to work at Tusker and honestly we almost always book that time.

They’ll start putting lunch out at about 11 or so but they’ll reserve one corner for breakfast till like 1130 or so. So up until then you can still grab some of the more popular breakfast foods like Mickey waffles and bacon and such. Eventually it’ll be all lunch.

Also you’ll get charged breakfast prices even if it’s lunch time when you pay. It’s all based on your res time.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Well let’s see how much fun you can cram into DLR in three and a half hours.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

Well let’s see how much fun you can cram into DLR in three and a half hours.

ILL Rise of Resistance, single rider smugglers run, space mountain, and Matterhorn, then run across the street and single rider Radiator Springs.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Cais posted:

Yes! My wife used to work at Tusker and honestly we almost always book that time.

They’ll start putting lunch out at about 11 or so but they’ll reserve one corner for breakfast till like 1130 or so. So up until then you can still grab some of the more popular breakfast foods like Mickey waffles and bacon and such. Eventually it’ll be all lunch.

Also you’ll get charged breakfast prices even if it’s lunch time when you pay. It’s all based on your res time.

That's what I was hoping for! My son's an extremely picky eater so breakfasts are a safe bet for him but the lunch menu looks more interesting to me and my wife.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

EngineerJoe posted:

That's what I was hoping for! My son's an extremely picky eater so breakfasts are a safe bet for him but the lunch menu looks more interesting to me and my wife.

I love Tusker House. Last time we went the reservation was close to park close. The restaurant wasn't packed, so I think it allowed for the characters to spend extra time at each table and they stayed out longer than I've usually seen at most character meals.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Tusker House is the only character dining we still do these days.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Jose Oquendo posted:

ILL Rise of Resistance, single rider smugglers run, space mountain, and Matterhorn, then run across the street and single rider Radiator Springs.

Great plan except Rise hasn't been open all day. I'm also not paying to ride Rise. We've ridden in WDW several times. I did have a black caf cold brew to ILL Cocoa Puffs and coffee into my mouth.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Accidentally meeting Mando and Grogu was fun. This picture is cropped to remove us but I love Grogu’s face at seeing our Grogu.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I managed to get a photo with Mando and baby right as they walked out of their door. pretty cool.

if you can't ride Rise, do Mr. Toad as many times as you can :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
I am an official marathoner!

Let us first preface this with - I’ve done 6 half marathons and a million 5ks etc so I know that training is important.

Also I literally did the Disney Princess half marathon without training…which meant I ran my local half with minimal training in November and then walked some laps at the park since then as my prep.

So, definitely a 7+ hour marathon, but there were tons of folks like me, just making it through. My friends chased me across the parks, suffered mile 7 being an unexpected downpour right before hitting MK, got some fun photos in the second half of the race, cried a million times from the joy of random people and signs cheering us on.

It was amazing. I want to do Dopey (every WDW marathon weekend race - 5k 10k half and full) now. And train better so I can hit some rides during the marathon.

The joy of saying congrats in tandem to everyone wearing a medal or race shirt today is unmatched.

Walked around Animal Kingdom all day today and took pics with my medal.