Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

i thought he was award

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Most tigers have heard the word "tiger" in one language or another

While the number of tigers in the wild has increased in the last few years, they're still outnumbered by tigers in captivity in the US alone. Captive tigers have probably heard someone say "tiger" at least once in their lives. Some of the wild ones may have too, especially if they were reintroduced from captivity or spend time near humans.

Compare to, let's say, deer, where most deer will live out their lives in the woods somewhere and never hear a human say "deer".

This isn't limited to tigers, of course. Any endangered species with more animals in captivity than the wild would be the same way.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

makes you think

not sure about what exactly but still

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hey now it's pyf thing you just realized, doesn't say anywhere that it has to be useful

I guess it makes me a little sad, when for most of their evolutionary history, as far as tigers were concerned, the human noise for "tiger" was "EEEYAAAAAAGH"

Phy has a new favorite as of 19:52 on Jan 5, 2024

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Phy posted:

Hey now it's pyf thing you just realized, doesn't say anywhere that it has to be useful

The first words most people hear are a reference to their genitals.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Captain Splendid posted:

forget "it's a boy" or "it's a girl", bring back frankenstein's iconic "IT'S ALIVE"

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Captain Splendid posted:

Babies can hear from inside the womb. If you're referring to the doctor announcement of assigned gender it's the first words most people hear after being born or smth

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Phy posted:

I guess it makes me a little sad, when for most of their evolutionary history, as far as tigers were concerned, the human noise for "tiger" was "EEEYAAAAAAGH"

Similarly, the scientific name for the western lowland gorilla is what you yell while running away from one

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Hope you don't mind CJacobs, but I did that when you made your post about shell scritchies! You and Speedy are very welcome over there. :kimchi:

Thank you for sharing the hamburger of love that is Speedy the turtle

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Everyday someone on Earth takes the world’s biggest poo poo for that day.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

But enough about my posting

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

a sexual elk posted:

Who is it and why are they collecting all those huge turds?!?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
The purpose of putting "O" before a noun ("O ye of little faith") was to make it explicit that you were talking to that noun.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Captain Splendid posted:

The purpose of putting "O" before a noun ("O ye of little faith") was to make it explicit that you were talking to that noun.

I think you mean pronoun in this case.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

a sexual elk posted:

So, I went out for drinks this evening with a good friend of mine, and he told me a story related to him by an ex of his who he keeps in touch with.

Our hero has a bathroom scales that happen to be internet enabled. She brings home a lad one night who doesn't know this. And she ends up getting a notification on her phone, in the wee hours, from her scales registering X amount. And then shortly afterwards another entry registering 1.5kg less.

The lad she brought home took a monster dump, and verified it for himself with before and after measurements. Not knowing he would be forever immortalised by the internet scales.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Captain Splendid posted:

The vocative case!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Wait, poo poo, hang on, also, something I just realised

The word for "like" or "as" is basically the same in Spanish as it is in Hebrew. "Como" and "c'mo".

I remember looking up the translation for this song from a Chilean group that my parents had an album of, growing up, and not batting an eye at the line "En libertad, como los pajarillos" ("In freedom, like the birds"). We're Australian Jews, so zero Spanish and a little bit of Hebrew.

I've noticed that when I try to think in a language other than English, if I don't know the vocab I need my brain often supplies the right word from a different language, other than the one I'm trying to work with. Of course this is usually total nonsense, but in this one particular case, it just so happens to work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_irHjn9LYcw

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Captain Splendid posted:

It's similar with Japanese. The O is some 'spect, though, less that you're talking to it, but about it with some sense of importance.

Also if you can read Hebrew you can allegedly read katakana with little effort.

Wasabi the J has a new favorite as of 20:12 on Jan 6, 2024

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Wasabi the J posted:

one is an alphabet and the other is a syllabary so they work completely differently and i very much doubt this

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

This is about as true as the story where Jesus escaped to a small town in Aomori in Japan and was buried there while his surprisingly Japanese brother Isukiri was the one nailed to the cross

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Anyone can read Hiragana or Katakana with very little effort. I'm serious one day is enough to be reasonable at Hiragana and a week at most for Katakana. Now understanding anything you read is the hard part.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
lol nah I looked into it and I just got got. The charts showing similarities between sounds and their approximations were being done with incorrect markings as well.

I just felt like it would be an interesting thing if you happened to know one or the other to play around.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Brawnfire posted:

The vocative case!

Yeah, I was going to say "it's a vocative marker" but didn't feel I could without adding a :goonsay:

I started looking into vocatives today after a friend who I play music with said in our groupchat:

"Tengo muchas ganas de tocar tíos!" I can't wait to touch men!

Quickly followed by.

"*Tengo muchas ganas de tocar, tíos!" I can't wait to play, guys!

Captain Splendid has a new favorite as of 23:54 on Jan 6, 2024

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

a cyborg mug posted:

This is about as true as the story where Jesus escaped to a small town in Aomori in Japan and was buried there while his surprisingly Japanese brother Isukiri was the one nailed to the cross

So 100% completely true then? He has a gravesite there and everything, are you saying the Japanese made it up?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Anos
&
Años

Mean quite different things

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
And here I thought they were the same word because you gain a ring every year.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

FreudianSlippers posted:

Anos
&
Años

Mean quite different things

I loved the old days of early machine translation, so many Geocities pages translated from Spanish to English with things like "Hi! My name is Jose and I have 13 anuses!"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I Love You Always Forever wasn't by The Cardigans or any of the Cardigans-likes around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqdWTeXWvOg

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Swiss Miss brand hot chocolate packets come in pairs with perforations so you can rip them apart and have two individual packets. This seems like it would risk puncturing one of the packets, but they gave each one of the pair a different amount of extra leeway to compensate for the asymmetry of the perforations. It's a good design I never noticed until recently.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

lol nah I looked into it and I just got got. The charts showing similarities between sounds and their approximations were being done with incorrect markings as well.

I just felt like it would be an interesting thing if you happened to know one or the other to play around.

Yeah sorry I learned hebrew as a kid and japanese as a teenager and that was not of any assistance whatsoever, they're totally different.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

dirby posted:

Swiss Miss brand hot chocolate packets come in pairs with perforations so you can rip them apart and have two individual packets. This seems like it would risk puncturing one of the packets, but they gave each one of the pair a different amount of extra leeway to compensate for the asymmetry of the perforations. It's a good design I never noticed until recently.

On a related note, I learned the other day that Swiss Miss hot cocoa is one of the few brands that DOESN'T contain stupid high amounts of lead in it. As someone who usually has a cup after my lunch at work I went out and bought a box of their mix to keep at my desk.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Soysaucebeast posted:

On a related note, I learned the other day that Swiss Miss hot cocoa is one of the few brands that DOESN'T contain stupid high amounts of lead in it. As someone who usually has a cup after my lunch at work I went out and bought a box of their mix to keep at my desk.

What?

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Ah, gently caress.

https://www.consumerreports.org/health/food-safety/a-third-of-chocolate-products-are-high-in-heavy-metals-a4844566398/

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Yea, I heard it from a youtuber I mostly trust about stuff like that but decided to look into it myself to be be sure. The tl;dr of that article is that most chocolate has at least some lead or cadmium, but some brands are obviously better than others. Here's a screenshot of their hot cocoa section, but they have sections on a lot of different products too.

Soysaucebeast has a new favorite as of 16:43 on Jan 7, 2024

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
lmao at the walmart one

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Holy poo poo. Well, huh, now I feel pretty glad I don't like chocolate that much and eat it quite rarely

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
A lot of chocolate comes from Africa, and many of those nations used leaded gasoline up until the mid 2000's.
https://ourworldindata.org/leaded-g...20the%20region.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Milo and POTUS posted:

lmao at the walmart one

Completely on Brand for them

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I bought a box of flax seed to add fibre to my breakfast and snacks and it said "adults should not consume more than two tablespoonfuls a day, children should stay the gently caress away". What it didn't say was why; the fuckers are full of whatever heavy metals were in the soil they grew in. Apparently here it means they'll slowly give you cadmium poisoning.

Why are they even sold? IDK.

E: or was it linseed? I'm on the bog so can't check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It's flax. The thing is that to get heavy metal poisoning you need to crack the seeds open (by blending them into a smoothie or supplement), if you eat them like normal you're not gonna get poisoned.