Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!

The Eyes Have It posted:

Well I definitely am trying that!

username/post combo

Also looking forward to giving UEVR a go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

quote:

If you want to render virtual hands to replace the physical hands, this can result in depth fighting. In order to avoid this you can enable the hands removal feature which will remove hands from the environment depth texture and replace it with an approximate background depth.

Looking through the documentation for the depth functionality on Quest 3 (mostly currently for object occlusion in realtime MR, but you can't make apps using it just yet) and this jumped out at me.

There's functionality to delete your hands in passthrough?? So the virtual ones can take precedence.

I mean, cool, and I guess now that I see it probably a predictable target, but the notion of using AI to re-render your room but delete various real life objects so digital ones can take their place is some dystopian poo poo right there.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Time to replace all of my furniture and decor with printed out fiducial markers!

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Woo, I got my first under par in walkabout. Thanks, Shangri-La!

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Got my amvr knuckles battery cover things for my q3 controllers and they’re rad af but probably only with average to small hands.

e: these things

Thoatse fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 5, 2024

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I had a set of those for my Pro controllers but I could never get them to feel as natural/comfortable as the straps on the Index Knuckles and they broke the charging dock so I gave up on them.

All of the various VR comfort accessories and how hit-and-miss they are depending on face/head/hand shape make me pine for the days when retail stores were a thing and had demo models of products.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Thoatse posted:

Got my amvr knuckles battery cover things for my q3 controllers and they’re rad af but probably only with average to small hands.

e: these things

I have both those and large hands and after a couple of weeks I got used to them.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Yes I went to the Denver one and it was a great time. They did an incredible job with environmental story telling. I almost bought walkabout for the tie in course but I already overdid it with VR games and I need to reign it in.

i felt that way at some point but walkabout ended up being one of most played games ever, flat or vr. for me its one of those "why even have a quest" games if you dont play it, like superhot (ofc ymmv)

i used some christmas money to upgrade to the quest 3 and even though i only have had a chance to mess with it a bit it feels like a huge qol upgrade. the q2 now feels like a brick, by comparison. love that it figures out your boundary on its own, except it kept registering my cat as an obsticle. i miss the little finger guards though, i loved to clack them together during load screens

and i did once wash dishes and even prepare a dinner involving both broiling and deep frying in passthrough once just to challenge myself(?) act like a crazy person(?) anyway i did this using the quest 2 passthrough lol

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

ok after some more time with the q3 i understand why people want the super high rez expensive headsets with wider fov. just the small difference between the two is instantly notable, i kind of have to get used to the idk intensity again. you know, like the feeling when something is giant and coming right at you

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Pinball FX 2 VR is pretty drat good for people that like pinball. Like Walkabout Mini Golf, its better than real life because it goes beyond real life limitations, but still has realistic physics.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Sounds like Anton wants to start stepping back from H3VR. Pretty much the only reason I still use VR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br6cXMRYOxI

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

per finger haptics works in alyx. gruesome

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Well Hi-Fi Rush is god drat stunning with UEVR. Runs essentially perfect at max settings out of the box.

This art style is absolutely perfect for VR too. Very Spiderverse-esque and that movie was great in 3D.

I will absolutely be playing this one all the way through, Im glad I havent played it yet.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Al! posted:

ok after some more time with the q3 i understand why people want the super high rez expensive headsets with wider fov. just the small difference between the two is instantly notable, i kind of have to get used to the idk intensity again. you know, like the feeling when something is giant and coming right at you

q3 is ultra noticable res up. you can see the screendoor but you have to like dilate your eyes and really look purposely lol. killhour getting that bigfoot headset so he wouldn't be sweating his rear end off in endurance races reminded me of the the qpro headrest style and apparently some guy prints the qro style interface and i combined it with this and it freakin owns.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Bradley 2023 review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVXH4hP1YBY

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

c355n4 posted:

Sounds like Anton wants to start stepping back from H3VR. Pretty much the only reason I still use VR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br6cXMRYOxI
I'm amazed he's been going at it for as long as he has. It's a pity PCVR has been left to languish like it has. Everyone is looking to Valve to save PCVR, but Valve works on its own schedule.

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

AccountSupervisor posted:

Well Hi-Fi Rush is god drat stunning with UEVR. Runs essentially perfect at max settings out of the box.

This art style is absolutely perfect for VR too. Very Spiderverse-esque and that movie was great in 3D.

I will absolutely be playing this one all the way through, Im glad I havent played it yet.

Wait how does the camera work out in this? Is it like a Moss deal or does it force in a first person pov?

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

A Cup of Ramen posted:

Wait how does the camera work out in this? Is it like a Moss deal or does it force in a first person pov?

Moss and Chronos are the best comparisons.

The camera controls can be a liiiitle dizzying from time to time but Ive found it getting less and less as I get more used to using my head to look around.

The in-engine cutscenes also look really loving cool. Can be a bit jarring when the cuts get quick and you do get to hilariously see an almost dev perspective of things that are typically left out of frame in flat perspective.

Heres a video I recorded:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8K0qY5Wj3w

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 7, 2024

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Can be a bit jarring when the cuts get quick and you do get to hilariously see an almost dev perspective of things that are typically left out of frame in flat perspective.

I was trying out Lies of P in VR and when you warp between areas you can see the level building itself around you and a square loading screen blocking off the parts that the flat camera would be looking at. It's kinda neat.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If I want to use my Quest 1 (one) with a PC/Steam VR in 2024 what is my best option

I bought virtual desktop for quest when they offered inital steamvr support but it sucked on my laptop and I haven't looked into it much and now I finally have a desktop class gpu

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Virtual desktop for wireless and ALVR for wired pretty much, same as with the other quests (maybe except steam link with quest pro).

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

A Cup of Ramen posted:

With UEVR the camera can be whatever you want it to be, you can give it a position that's just an offset of its normal position or you can attach it to an object (then make that object invisible) to make a game first person that's usually not or technically just kinda anywhere.

With the games I'm playing though I've been using actual first person mods because those just handle cutscenes better usually.

I know a lot of people are like "3rd person can work just fine in VR!" and it agree with them, but I dunno, most of the time when first person is an option I definitely prefer it even if it makes the game harder to play because of "immersion", I might be the weirdo who stands there playing crash bandicoot in first person.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

So are we just, like, ignoring the Windows Defender alerts that get thrown out with UEVR? Trojan:Script/Wacatac.B!ml specifically? Whatever that is. I dunno. Apparently the alerts are worse with this latest release, which is not a good look.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the !ml suffix means it's tripping a machine learning heuristic (i.e. guessing) rather than detecting a specific known threat

things like code injection probably do look dodgy to those heuristics even if they're not doing anything malicious

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I just turn that nerd poo poo off and raw-dog the internet. Real hippy poo poo, ya know? Organic Granolanet.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

uevr is open source in any case so you could just compile it yourself if you don't trust the binaries

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Bad Munki posted:

So are we just, like, ignoring the Windows Defender alerts that get thrown out with UEVR? Trojan:Script/Wacatac.B!ml specifically? Whatever that is. I dunno. Apparently the alerts are worse with this latest release, which is not a good look.

Yup! Other option is to wait until enough people use it so Windows Defender recognizes it as legit, but who knows if this get enough use for that.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Bad Munki posted:

You're supposed to whitelist it according to the instructions

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I dont think I was prepared for how much of an intense and thrilling blast Dungeons of Eternity is. Easily the best co-op experience Ive ever had in VR.

Very excited to see how the game grows.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Team Beef in contact with id

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there a lot of finnicky setup with this UEVR thing if you wanted to try something out? I don't actually know the extent of work required to get it working with a game.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

explosivo posted:

Is there a lot of finnicky setup with this UEVR thing if you wanted to try something out? I don't actually know the extent of work required to get it working with a game.

You get the plugin, load the game, alt-tab, load the plugin targeting the UE game, it clicks through, you put on your headset and tweak. Getting a game to get in VR is exceptionally easy, getting it to play well can be a whole ordeal. Can be.

Some games just work and I go "woaowowoah" and play it as is.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

KakerMix posted:

You get the plugin, load the game, alt-tab, load the plugin targeting the UE game, it clicks through, you put on your headset and tweak. Getting a game to get in VR is exceptionally easy, getting it to play well can be a whole ordeal. Can be.

Some games just work and I go "woaowowoah" and play it as is.

Oh wow okay, that's pretty cool. I sorta expected it to be a slightly less difficult way to convert a VR game but would still require some knowhow to get it going at least.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Turin Turambar posted:

Team Beef in contact with id

Thank God this extremely divorced dad is weighing in.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Is there a good construction-type game available for any of the platforms?

Something where you're given hammer, nails, and wood and can build whatever you want? Seems like VR would be a great setting for that.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Best Treehouse Ever VR would be a pretty compelling title :thunk:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Holy poo poo yeah. Make it multiplayer. Safety and physics be damned, if my buddy holds a board in place and I put a nail in it, we’re good.

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Moss and Chronos are the best comparisons.

The camera controls can be a liiiitle dizzying from time to time but Ive found it getting less and less as I get more used to using my head to look around.

The in-engine cutscenes also look really loving cool. Can be a bit jarring when the cuts get quick and you do get to hilariously see an almost dev perspective of things that are typically left out of frame in flat perspective.

Heres a video I recorded:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8K0qY5Wj3w

Fineeeee guess it's time to get off my rear end and get this all setup, and reading this thread more sounds like it isn't even that hard so all I have to blame is my own procrastination.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Interesting, there is already a Quest 3-only VR game, it's just not one people would think of it
https://www.uploadvr.com/townsmen-vr-quest-3-exclusive/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld_9RMleXAE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm trying Racket Club today, It's cool, but definitely I'm going to need a few more games against the AI to just get up to what we could call 'mediocre level'. Right now I'm bad as hell lol