Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Every one of these dorks wanted to be Space Important in Eve Online but didn't dare to step out of highsec

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah not a single of these assholes would be willing to put these ships in actual danger unless they were effectively free to replace and would just use it to stomp NPCs at best.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Hmmm I wonder if CIG could implement some kind of insurance feature to exploit people's fear of permanently losing their purchase where if you pay more for your ship in real world money you get insurance for your ship in game that never runs out? Just an idea, would be kinda scummy tho.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I love that they don't even know how LTI will eventually work as right now every single ship has permanent free respawns, yet they're willing shell out for it like it's a rare commodity

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
What’s even funnier is you can buy like 90% of the ships with in game money and they will persist through short term database wipes. As I understand it, there have only been a couple of total wipes ever in SC’s history. Making in game money is pretty trivial and you can even buy those $300 ships in a few hours of gameplay.

There is zero reason to pay real money for those things.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

You see in the actual game it'll takes weeks of daily grinding to actually afford a simple one man ship. This will make even the smallest ship exciting to buy.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://packaged-media.redd.it/qa45...f472aa4d654#t=0

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

dialhforhero posted:

What’s even funnier is you can buy like 90% of the ships with in game money and they will persist through short term database wipes. As I understand it, there have only been a couple of total wipes ever in SC’s history. Making in game money is pretty trivial and you can even buy those $300 ships in a few hours of gameplay.

There is zero reason to pay real money for those things.

The other thing is that the gameplay loop of games like this is:

Do stuff in ship -> Make money -> Upgrade current ship/buy new ship -> Repeat

If you've already got all the best-in-class ships, you're going to get bored of the game much faster than someone who starts with a newbie ship and works their way up.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Gort posted:

If you've already got all the best-in-class ships, you're going to get bored of the game much faster than someone who starts with a newbie ship and works their way up.

You say that like the bartending mini game isn't going to be so amazing that you never need to do anything else

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Home bartending IRL would be less deleterious because, otoh, yes it would be indicative of or conducive to alcoholism but, otoh, you’ll black out and wake up hours later on the floor rather than play Star Citizen for six hours which would be much worse.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Funny I almost forgot about the space bus ship. And the one that lets you farm and have a supercollider going at the same time.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Fil5000 posted:

You say that like the bartending mini game isn't going to be so amazing that you never need to do anything else

It's like people don't even know about the server blade replacing gameplay.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yes, in flight a message appears...new CVE found crafted by the turtles or the tigers. You have to run around and patch the inflight entertainment systems.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Gort posted:

Yeah but they don’t think in terms of actually realizable gameplay loops, they still imagine that Star Citizen is going to be a full blown space life simulator. So they can dream up all sorts of super specific and complex scenarios where their $1500 spaceship will be vital and crewed by loyal plebes ready at all hours to their bidding.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Those ships won't be able to make me money while I watch an opera on Mars.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Obviously they'll all just start saving up for one of the $10 million dollar death star killing sun CIG will put on sale at "launch".

(Death star not usable to launch 2.0)

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

colonelwest posted:

Yeah but they don’t think in terms of actually realizable gameplay loops, they still imagine that Star Citizen is going to be a full blown space life simulator. So they can dream up all sorts of super specific and complex scenarios where their $1500 spaceship will be vital and crewed by loyal plebes ready at all hours to their bidding.

This has to be it because I went on board a few of those massive ships and they have living quarters for like 10 people and what’s dumb is you can’t log off on those ships unless you are the owner.

They made a ship that looks like the Nostromo on the inside that is huge and DOES work well with about 4 people in it but it seems like it was designed more for IRL use and not a game that someone puts an hour or two into and then logs off.

Same goes with one of the other battlestar looking ships. It has Star Trek like “living” spaces with clean and smooth white interiors and poo poo that would be a “party/dining” lounge.

I remember playing Star Trek Online and that whole feature of ship interiors added almost no gameplay value other than the novel one time “come to my ship and see this” interaction that does, otherwise, nothing for you since you aren’t ACTUALLY chilling and drinking and eating like you want/need to in real life.

I mean, I GET it from a role playing POV but it isn’t / shouldn’t be the main attraction—especially considering other priorities.

The small 1 man ships are all you need. And even then, most are big enough to fit half a dozen dudes into them (the crew requirement does not mean how many can be IN the ship) so you can easily do cargo runs, mining, or a combat FPS-style drop into a bunker and still be able to do space combat. All while not wasting $900. Which, by the way, these are the only gameplay options you can do so far anyway

These massive ships are a example of trying to sell eggs before the chicken even LAYS them, not just before they hatch.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 6, 2024

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

dialhforhero posted:

They made a ship that looks like the Nostromo on the inside that is huge and DOES work well with about 4 people in it but it seems like it was designed more for IRL use and not a game that someone puts an hour or two into and then logs off.

A core part of the delusion is that Store Citizen is basically The Matrix. You'll live your whole life there, from eating to pooping to sleeping with incredible industry-leading bed sheet tech. It's that bit in Hot Tub Time Machine where the kid is spending time working out in prison "playing" Second Life only with zero irony. If you're a believer then it's a small price to play to become the masters of the new world.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I loved Hot Tub Time Machine.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Man Zuckerberg must really wish meta had attracted the same sort of whales as SC.
Like I know they're not really comparable, except in the vague both promising an alternative electronic world to live in, but jesus, SC actually somehow looks wildly successful compared to meta, just when your consider how much loving money zukerberg somehow managed to shovel into meta and how it somehow looks in a worse state. (less current users too?)

Can't wait for the next multinational IT company to try it again! Just need to chuck a few more billion into the firepit it's gonna work this time I swear!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I still maintain that CIG is actually lying about its crowdfunding. I just dont see how it could raise as much as is claimed with so few people seeming to talk about and play star citizen. The sort of numbers CIG keeps throwing around would imply tens of thousands of people are playing all the time, when in reality its more like 100.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Also I thought that pledge ships were ships you could always retain and reclaim when there is “permanent” loss of assets. I thought that was the incentive? That you would always have it. The in-game purchased items were what you needed insurance for—or lost forever.

Which is why buying a $400 ship is really dumb when the way money making is in the game (now) and the complete lack of any economy makes earning credits nearly trivial to the point that one weeks of gameplay can earn you the amount needed to buy every ship with fake game currency.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 6, 2024

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

I said come in! posted:

I still maintain that CIG is actually lying about its crowdfunding. I just dont see how it could raise as much as is claimed with so few people seeming to talk about and play star citizen. The sort of numbers CIG keeps throwing around would imply tens of thousands of people are playing all the time, when in reality its more like 100.

The money is listed in their yearly accounts/tax returns though right? Because I don't think they're dumb enough to lie to the tax man.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

The money is listed in their yearly accounts/tax returns though right? Because I don't think they're dumb enough to lie to the tax man.

Maybe! Roberts has an actual history of criminal / sketchy behavior. He tried to steal from Microsoft during the development of Freelancer.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

dialhforhero posted:

The small 1 man ships are all you need. And even then, most are big enough to fit half a dozen dudes into them (the crew requirement does not mean how many can be IN the ship) so you can easily do cargo runs, mining, or a combat FPS-style drop into a bunker and still be able to do space combat. All while not wasting $900. Which, by the way, these are the only gameplay options you can do so far anyway

From a game design perspective, they also suffer from the common mistake of “why bring [10-crewed vehicle] when you can bring 10 [1-crew-vehicle]s?” They're trying to cater to the Millennium Falcon fantasy, forgetting the annoying fact that game interactions with other players are not scripted. The attacking craft will not keep missing and will not line up nicely with your two gunners' sights at the appropriate moment, and only produce sparkling system damage when someone is available to deal with it. They will just shoot you, 10 times over, and then you explode.

Doubly so when every ship in the game punches above its weight.

There are ways to counter this and balance it out, but none of those are available under the design philosophy that is meant to drive SC.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Fil5000 posted:

The slight issue is that only "half" of it is, since it's the only the amount aportioned to the UK/Rest of the World for reasons. Also their accounts for 2022 are overdue as usual. Same old same old.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Rotten Red Rod posted:

every single ship has permanent free respawns, yet they're willing shell out for it like it's a rare commodity

lol big true. I don't know if this is still true but commandos would camp the site and by the time the page started loading correctly they'd be sold out

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer
It’s simple. Players just have to pay an exorbitant in-game “upkeep” fee for ships they bought using game funds instead of USD.

Crobear, you’re welcome.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Variable 5 posted:

It’s simple. Players just have to pay an exorbitant in-game “upkeep” fee for ships they bought using game funds instead of USD.

Crobear, you’re welcome.

I mean that's not unreasonable and better games from nearly 30 years ago (Escape Velocity) already handled it.
Every ship you own costs upkeep - at the very least fuel - and you can HIRE OTHER SHIPS that charge you a flat fee per time-period to stay teamed up with you.
This second half is something that games like Elite Dangerous never did and it's idiotic beyond measure.
EV also let you conquer planets that would then pay you tithes so it's already more advanced.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

DarkDobe posted:

This second half is something that games like Elite Dangerous never did and it's idiotic beyond measure.

Boy do I have fun news about weekly carrier fees for you

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Upkeep costs in a game where time stops when you don't play is dramatically different from upkeep in a mmo which still ticks when you're logged out.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

There are far more than 100 people playing Star Citizen. Like no it's not Counter Strike levels of people but I would guess at any given time it's in the thousands.

I don't think we hear about Star Citizen because it's target audience is older game Dads who don't play many other games and hangout with each other on their orgs discord.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Does star citizen have any cute game moms?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Worf posted:

Does star citizen have any cute game moms?

No, the community is pretty openly hostile towards women.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I said come in! posted:

No, the community is pretty openly hostile towards women.

Except for… what was her name? BettyBigTits or something equally obvious?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I decided to try it out after years if looking from the sidelines. Roberts had done some great stuff in the past, but the last 10 years of SC development are known to be a clusterfuck.

After a few hours in, I can say what I’ve experienced is a tech demo, maybe an alpha at best. I have to say, there are some fantastic moments, like when you take a train to the star port in New Babbage and lift off over the city for the first time - it’s some genuinely good poo poo. Is it 10-years-in-development good poo poo? Hell no.

I hear people say there is gameplay in this - hell, there’s nothing. There’s some great world building, which Roberts has always been loving brilliant at. The coding and gameplay are on prototype level - first thing I did was go i to hyperspace, lay in bed and get up to find myself deposited into space. Then the server broke down and trains were not running in the city so I couldn’t get back to the star port.

If this was an early access thing with a year or two under its belt, I’d be floored. 10 years? Lol. I knew what I was getting into and I hope my 45 bucks will go to a dev salary and not Gardi Sandiner’s anal bleaching or whatever the gently caress.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah it for sure lines up with the claims from previous employees, that everyone working on the team is incompetent as gently caress and inexperienced for the type of game that CIG is wanting to make. I have zero faith that Squadron 42 is going to release finished and actually be good.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Popete posted:

There are far more than 100 people playing Star Citizen. Like no it's not Counter Strike levels of people but I would guess at any given time it's in the thousands.

I don't think we hear about Star Citizen because its target audience is older game Dads who don't play many other games and hangout with each other on their orgs discord.

They posted playtime numbers a while back. I recall doing the numbers and it averages out to something like 2000 people playing an hour a day.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Mokotow posted:

I decided to try it out after years if looking from the sidelines. Roberts had done some great stuff in the past, but the last 10 years of SC development are known to be a clusterfuck.

After a few hours in, I can say what I’ve experienced is a tech demo, maybe an alpha at best. I have to say, there are some fantastic moments, like when you take a train to the star port in New Babbage and lift off over the city for the first time - it’s some genuinely good poo poo. Is it 10-years-in-development good poo poo? Hell no.

I hear people say there is gameplay in this - hell, there’s nothing. There’s some great world building, which Roberts has always been loving brilliant at. The coding and gameplay are on prototype level - first thing I did was go i to hyperspace, lay in bed and get up to find myself deposited into space. Then the server broke down and trains were not running in the city so I couldn’t get back to the star port.

If this was an early access thing with a year or two under its belt, I’d be floored. 10 years? Lol. I knew what I was getting into and I hope my 45 bucks will go to a dev salary and not Gardi Sandiner’s anal bleaching or whatever the gently caress.

say what you will about croberts, but he did not actually keep the trains running on time

E: its a shame theres still no actual gameplay yet, im looking for a new game and have been hesitant abt BG3 since theres not actually other people in it

altho trolling woman hating spacedads does sound kinda fun ngl

Worf fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
BG3 owns and you should also play with friends.