Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

kiimo posted:

Just got added to a ski trip to Breckenridge Feb 22-26. That seems like a great time for snow but I haven't been skiing in Colorado this century. I think 1999 was the last time I skied there. I imagine Breckenridge will have added even more restaurants and bars since then.

I am now invested in the weather there and really all of Summit / Vail. Will travel for good snow. I see it got 12" in the last week and it's 1 degree there right now. Seems like a pretty promising start but there is a lot of time I guess.

Even on a low snow year you should be in good shape at the end of Feb. If you have an epic pass bail is riding pretty good right now and the Beav is coming along. I actually haven't been to Breck this year yet but I expect the trip will be decent with where we are at.

I never really do anything in Breck so not sure about the food situation. Go to Mimi & Pim though for sure.

Can't recall if you tour but I should be around that weekend if you want to get away from the resort on a weekend day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I don't have an Epic pass but the other people do. They've never been to Vail so I'll probably be insisting that we go one day. Say what you want about Vail the company and you'll be right. But that is a resort everyone needs to try at least once. If only for the back bowls alone.

This crew is pretty bougie too I'm sure they're gonna go gaga for Vail village. Fleece crowd, not flannel crowd.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

kiimo posted:

I don't have an Epic pass but the other people do. They've never been to Vail so I'll probably be insisting that we go one day. Say what you want about Vail the company and you'll be right. But that is a resort everyone needs to try at least once. If only for the back bowls alone.

This crew is pretty bougie too I'm sure they're gonna go gaga for Vail village. Fleece crowd, not flannel crowd.

I will have a ton of left over buddy/swaf passes if you want to look at that at all. Vail for a cool $181/day and Breck for $164/day. But they still make the pass holder show up to get them. It is very annoying. I thought they changed that but maybe not.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

kiimo posted:

As much as I hate to admit it, I loving love Vail (the mountain).

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

bawfuls posted:

There was rain up to around mid mountain it looks like, I’d be skeptical.

Whistler wasn't thaaaat bad yesterday from Harmony up. Visibility was bad and winds were crazy high so we didn't go backcountry, but the snow in Harmony bowl was ok. Anything lower than that though... thin and wet. Anyway, better than working.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Those California storms are not dumping snow like they promised instead they're hanging out off the coast and doing this

https://apple.news/AB3hkGQBaS3ChAmHvSzvQsQ

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

stratdax posted:

Whistler wasn't thaaaat bad yesterday from Harmony up. Visibility was bad and winds were crazy high so we didn't go backcountry, but the snow in Harmony bowl was ok. Anything lower than that though... thin and wet. Anyway, better than working.

Turns out the peak chair hadn't been open since the 24th, so that was the MVP of the day. We found a good stash, but it was gone by the end of the day. Today the freezing level is above the mountain :rip:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

I will say one good thing about the light snowpack in Colorado: it's giving me a lot of experience skiing bumps and dodging rocks. I honestly could use the practice, I suck at moguls :shobon:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

spwrozek posted:

Vail deciding to open Blue Sky Basin for the first time this year? Oh why thank you.

Blue Sky Basin rocks, other than the catwalk hell on the way back to the front side.

Skree Field to Big Rock Park all day.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Moey posted:

Blue Sky Basin rocks, other than the catwalk hell on the way back to the front side.

Skree Field to Big Rock Park all day.

We’ve got a long weekend there in a few weeks. Hopefully the snow picks up. :ohdear:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Residency Evil posted:

We’ve got a long weekend there in a few weeks. Hopefully the snow picks up. :ohdear:

Yeah, been a pretty lackluster start to the season. I've been slammed with life recently so I don't feel too terrible about not riding a ton yet.

Town should be clearing out soon so I'll try and start squeezing in a few days of lunch laps per week. Solid way to zone out and relax.

EDIT: UNREQUESTED RAMBLING

Unsure how familiar with Vail you are, but pencil in Happy Hour at The George (Vail Village, right near the parking garage/transit center, across the covered bridge from the mountain).

We always shoot to get there around 2:45 just to make sure we get a table/creepy couch.. They open/HH starts at 3:00. Amazing food and actually good prices. I get down on the poutine and maybe a philly, but wife/friends always get/split crab legs or the full blown surf n turf.

Moey fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 2, 2024

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Moey posted:

Yeah, been a pretty lackluster start to the season. I've been slammed with life recently so I don't feel too terrible about not riding a ton yet.

Town should be clearing out soon so I'll try and start squeezing in a few days of lunch laps per week. Solid way to zone out and relax.

EDIT: UNREQUESTED RAMBLING

Unsure how familiar with Vail you are, but pencil in Happy Hour at The George (Vail Village, right near the parking garage/transit center, across the covered bridge from the mountain).

We always shoot to get there around 2:45 just to make sure we get a table/creepy couch.. They open/HH starts at 3:00. Amazing food and actually good prices. I get down on the poutine and maybe a philly, but wife/friends always get/split crab legs or the full blown surf n turf.

We live in denver, so we’re decently familiar. Similarly I haven’t been rushing to make it out to ski this season yet either. Kind of feel bad for people coming from out east.

Haven’t ever been to The George. We’ll check it out!

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Residency Evil posted:

We live in denver, so we’re decently familiar. Similarly I haven’t been rushing to make it out to ski this season yet either. Kind of feel bad for people coming from out east.

Haven’t ever been to The George. We’ll check it out!

Yeah, I thought I recalled you were in Denver. Moved out there a year or two ago?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Got to snowboard in Telluride last week for a few days, it was my first time there. What a magical little ski town. The snow conditions were not great, but we still had a wonderful time cruising around on groomers in the sunshine. The views are so incredible, everywhere you look. It seemed like there were a lot more skiers than snowboarders.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Summer in Canada seems nice

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Sounds like the pnw is getting a refresh Friday. I predict the freeways will close with thirsty traffic.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Yeah Mammoth and Bear getting dumped right now too. The day after I leave of course

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Today: 2-4"
Tonight: 1-2"
Tomorrow: 1-3"
Tomorrow Night: 2-4"
Friday: < 1"
Friday Night: < 1"
Saturday: 10-16"

(Not a typo)

:sickos:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Moey posted:

Yeah, I thought I recalled you were in Denver. Moved out there a year or two ago?

Yup, coming up on almost 3. :ohdear:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
It's about to finally start snowing for real :woop:

6-10" tonight, 8-12" tomorrow & 4-8" tomorrow night. A brief break Sunday and into Monday, then heavy snow forecasted Tuesday - Thursday.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

My local hill is gonna get 5-8" holy cow send up a rocket

Just kidding I'll probably never ski in my home state again lol

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
I think all the NE/Mid-Atlantic resorts are beside themselves trying to build stoke for the storm tomorrow night.

Of course it's also going to rain like 1-2 inches on all these resorts come Tuesday/Wednesday...

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Just got to snowmass tonight, excited for the fresh snow it's finally getting

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Dumped at Alta today. Was sick

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

fletcher posted:

Got to snowboard in Telluride last week for a few days, it was my first time there. What a magical little ski town. The snow conditions were not great, but we still had a wonderful time cruising around on groomers in the sunshine. The views are so incredible, everywhere you look. It seemed like there were a lot more skiers than snowboarders.

Glad you had a good time, it’s a great place to be. I’m leaving for two weeks for an Antarctica excursion tomorrow so obviously the snow is gonna pick up as soon as we go.

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead
Wife got me a trip to breck as a xmas gift for early feb. Hope they get some snow

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

First time on the mountain this season, couldn't wait anymore even though we're at like 55% of our average base for the date. Very cold and crap snow but it's skiing!

Took my second best pair of skis, because I don't have a pair of rock skis. The good news is that I now own a pair of rock skis.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Super bad visibility today and I accidentally skied off a metre-ish ledge and landed on one of my poles end-on. Quite painful! I don't think Ive broken a rib but it hurts when I breathe

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Glad you had a good time, it’s a great place to be. I’m leaving for two weeks for an Antarctica excursion tomorrow so obviously the snow is gonna pick up as soon as we go.
You’d better post pics when you get back

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
It’s not a ski trip, unfortunately. I’m sure there will be some neat pictures though.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

regulargonzalez posted:

First time on the mountain this season, couldn't wait anymore even though we're at like 55% of our average base for the date. Very cold and crap snow but it's skiing!

Took my second best pair of skis, because I don't have a pair of rock skis. The good news is that I now own a pair of rock skis.

We had a nice tour today besides my triple core shot...

here is a little line a did https://www.reddit.com/r/Spliddit/comments/190diue/still_low_tide_but_we_will_take_fresh_snow/

All my boards are just rock boards... but I might think about picking up a Yes Optisplitstic if I can find a bit of a deal later in the year.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

knox_harrington posted:

Super bad visibility today and I accidentally skied off a metre-ish ledge and landed on one of my poles end-on. Quite painful! I don't think Ive broken a rib but it hurts when I breathe

Well that's a horrific mental image. Sorry dude, hope it's minor and heals quickly.

spwrozek posted:

here is a little line a did https://www.reddit.com/r/Spliddit/comments/190diue/still_low_tide_but_we_will_take_fresh_snow/

All my boards are just rock boards... but I might think about picking up a Yes Optisplitstic if I can find a bit of a deal later in the year.

Pretty af. Wishing for that pow here.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

spwrozek posted:

Nice, but more Fry next time!

WROD opened up today but I'm giving it a day or two to settle down. I start patrolling Tuesday with our annual Aspen Extreme Aspiring Patroller Ski Off, which is always a ball.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Man, Lone Pine Gear Exchange is the best and also the worst. They're so often so cheap that new skis become an impulse buy. "No snow this year? Fine, fuckit, I'll pick up a narrow rear end set of skis that will cut through the ice. Hell, gimme a couple pairs"

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

Been in northern Michigan this week with the family. Conditions have largely sucked at Highlands and Nubs Nob though they’ve improved somewhat over the week. That being said - major accomplishments- my kids (ages 8 and 11) have decided that they’re cool skiing the blacks here - and once they made that decision that’s all we’ve been doing. Yay for not following them down greens/blues all day.

My 8 year old is seriously getting decent - I can easily see her being better than me and my wife in a couple of years, which is kind of cool/scary. Last time we were out west skiing (Tahoe/palisades two years ago) she was proud of basically skimming a bit of a black (Siberia) but I could see her doing something far more difficult on the regular next time we go out there (she’s been asking me about details re granite chief and kt22 this week).

Just need to get my 11 year old off the snow-plow thing and things would be gravy.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

If anyone wants a ski movie we watched the Land of Giants last night which was pretty fun.

https://www.redbull.com/int-en/films/the-land-of-giants

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

schwein11 posted:

Been in northern Michigan this week with the family. Conditions have largely sucked at Highlands and Nubs Nob though they’ve improved somewhat over the week. That being said - major accomplishments- my kids (ages 8 and 11) have decided that they’re cool skiing the blacks here - and once they made that decision that’s all we’ve been doing. Yay for not following them down greens/blues all day.

Chute and Smokey woo. Awesome your kids are crushing it.

Major bummer on conditions this year. My sister and her kids were up before Christmas and made the most of it at least.

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

spwrozek posted:

Chute and Smokey woo. Awesome your kids are crushing it.

Major bummer on conditions this year. My sister and her kids were up before Christmas and made the most of it at least.

My daughter tried Scarface last year and ended up doing half of it on her butt. She was so focused this year on “conquering Scarface” and did so pretty easily multiple times. So psyched for her.

I probably enjoy being a parent watching the kids improve and meet their goals on the slopes more than actually skiing myself, hah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Anyone here familiar with the family ski scene in Vermont/NH? I'm trying to plan our presidents week ski trip (T-Th) and having trouble deciding where to go.

Background is that my Wife doesn't ski and my kids are 10 and 11 and have been doing lessons at Nashoba and, this year, Wachusett and last year we did two days at Waterville Valley. So, the kids were pretty comfortable on all the Waterville Blue's last year despite the horrendous conditions but hated the one black we tried to the point that they are still worried about it. To be fair it was so icy that the slope looked like it was strewn with corpses from all the people who had fallen and we were forced into it because the blue trail we wanted turned out to be closed after we had committed.

I have no other experience in the area other than a trip to sugarbush before the kids were born.

Anyway, mostly debating either Okemo or Killington. Killington seems to get good marks generally because it's huge and theres good maintenance but Okemo seems kind of ideal because it seems that even most of it's blacks would be solid blue's somewhere else and it's still got a lot of trails even if not as much as Killington.

It's kind of important that the mountain be pretty well laid out and marked since I really don't want to end up with a situation where someone makes a wrong turn and ends up at a different base especially as its just me skiing with them and my understanding is that Killington is pretty confusing sometimes.

So, at the moment I am leaning pretty heavily toward Okemo. Any thoughts or strong opinions on this choice? If someone thinks neither of these is a good choice then that would be interesting too.