Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

A.o.D. posted:

It's not the USA, just specific states. My state, Louisiana, also has a homestead exemption on your primary residence. Many states do not.

you have any kind of CGT or wealth tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Happy Insurrection Day you filthy animals.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

bird food bathtub posted:

Happy Insurrection Day you filthy animals.

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1743623821486071911?t=_IqvZTYl8Fe0xkC-hhwAyQ&s=19

Happy anniversary!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
And the few houses that have been made have been constructed to shockingly low standards of quality. I've orbited enough former and active construction workers to know that some shady poo poo goes down at a lot of these fly by night contractors that would chill your bones if you owned one of their houses

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Truly the Best People. Their action shots look like dudes coming out of the CS chamber at basic.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I've seen so many photos of chuds wearing those 5.11 Tactec weight vests as plate carriers that I'm starting to think that the company itself should face charges as an accessory to 1/6.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It's incredible when the loving USA has a more progressive tax system than my country

I would kill for this in nz.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

And the few houses that have been made have been constructed to shockingly low standards of quality. I've orbited enough former and active construction workers to know that some shady poo poo goes down at a lot of these fly by night contractors that would chill your bones if you owned one of their houses

Hasn’t it always been this way? At least for a lot of manufacturing, the average level of material quality, tolerances, etc are way better than at any point in the past. But a combination of unintentional over engineering and survivorship bias from older stuff makes people think the opposite is going on.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Hasn’t it always been this way? At least for a lot of manufacturing, the average level of material quality, tolerances, etc are way better than at any point in the past. But a combination of unintentional over engineering and survivorship bias from older stuff makes people think the opposite is going on.

Newer houses often being butt ugly lot-covering boxes doesn't help things.

I live in a fairly archetypal postwar California house with an extension thrown up during the malaise era. It has many, many problems (notably the electrical wiring in the extension must've been the work of drugs because there's several wall switches that do absolutely nothing) but it looks gorgeous compared to the new, probably better-constructed shitboxes going up in the neighborhood.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 7, 2024

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
No, we definitely have the technology, but market pressures have driven construction to be as "efficient" as possible to meet code. And often that means things are built like rear end deliberately.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Right, but let's not get misty-eyed about unintentional inefficiencies. If you spent the equivalent of 1950s real dollars on construction costs to build a house today, you would get a brick shithouse.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Brick?! Lah dee dah moneybags

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I thought that consumer goods were the area where that was really the issue.

I had a lovely (not really that lovely) argument with a guy I know once who works as a commercial buyer, where he took the position that planned obsolescence is a good thing, actually.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That old Sinclair quote about his paycheck being dependent on it

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Austin was in the ICU for three loving days before the Pentagon told the White House.

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/01/06/pentagon-took-3-days-to-inform-white-houses-nsc-of-austins-hospitalization-00134176

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

:psyduck:

e: how

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
What the gently caress?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Quackles posted:

I thought that consumer goods were the area where that was really the issue.

I had a lovely (not really that lovely) argument with a guy I know once who works as a commercial buyer, where he took the position that planned obsolescence is a good thing, actually.

Consumer goods are way, way cheaper. Consider a phone from the 1950s - it's enough bakelite to knock out a large mammal and would probably survive most major natural disasters. But it also cost about $500 in today's money, while the feature equivalent piece of crap polypropylene phone now is like $15. You can get a new one every year for the next quarter century and still come out ahead. Or you can get a $500 smartphone that would basically be magic back then. And if you still want to spend $500 on a basic landline phone, it's probably some bespoke thing that blows the 1950s version out of the water and has parts custom machined by an artisan worker who put their name on it.

There's a lot of the same thing with homes. There's more labor involved so the costs aren't as flexible, but engineered lumber especially means a lot less material and building time goes into a house today. And people prefer homes with more open space and windows and lower construction costs, so that's what happens. This especially makes sense in the commercial market, where profits are rarely measured decades out. The technology is there to make better things at the older cost, but the incentives aren't.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I thought you couldn’t buy phones in the 50s and could only rent? Or was that more of a 70s thing.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

I thought you couldn’t buy phones in the 50s and could only rent? Or was that more of a 70s thing.

That was through the early 80s. I think there are still a few hundred customers renting their terminals from RBOC successors even today.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

No, it's true. Bell Telephone held a vertical monopoly in the United States.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This is why acoustic couplers were a thing. It was forbidden to electrically connect third party devices to the Bell network.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

hobbesmaster posted:

I remember it was a minor thing in the Shining that they had to pay a $30 installation fee & a $90 security deposit for an apartment phone in the 1970s. There’s also a scene where a long distance call goes long and the operator calls the phone booth back & Jack dutifully pays an additional $3.50 instead of walking away, which considering his poverty & mental state seemed like an oddly polite thing to do.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Platystemon posted:

This is why acoustic couplers were a thing. It was forbidden to electrically connect third party devices to the Bell network.

The irony I felt when I finally got an Information Society CD in the late 1990s and there were no more acoustic couplers out there. I had to play the data track into my digital voicemail and then program my modem to call my voicemail and play back the message to the modem in order to decode it.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Consumer goods are way, way cheaper. Consider a phone from the 1950s - it's enough bakelite to knock out a large mammal and would probably survive most major natural disasters. But it also cost about $500 in today's money, while the feature equivalent piece of crap polypropylene phone now is like $15. You can get a new one every year for the next quarter century and still come out ahead. Or you can get a $500 smartphone that would basically be magic back then. And if you still want to spend $500 on a basic landline phone, it's probably some bespoke thing that blows the 1950s version out of the water and has parts custom machined by an artisan worker who put their name on it.

There's a lot of the same thing with homes. There's more labor involved so the costs aren't as flexible, but engineered lumber especially means a lot less material and building time goes into a house today. And people prefer homes with more open space and windows and lower construction costs, so that's what happens. This especially makes sense in the commercial market, where profits are rarely measured decades out. The technology is there to make better things at the older cost, but the incentives aren't.

We worked with an architect a few years back for some renovations and he explained that the quality of materials and the labor category of the workers has a much bigger impact on cost and outcome than people realize. Hiring a master carpenter and plumber to install high quality finishings will obviously yield a longer lasting, nicer result, but can increase the price 2-3 times beyond what you'd pay at Home Depot and hiring cut-rate contractors that rely on day laborers. Most mass-produced housing relies on the latter, since they're looking to keep costs down as much as possible. It's also why a lot of homes built by large developers begin to fall apart after a couple of years.

psydude fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jan 7, 2024

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/status/1743707502607307125?t=DmGk6Z2ko9DQSFB-GX7Bwg&s=19

Normal country poo poo.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Seems kind of like flamebait or something. Its not like Trump gives a poo poo if he signs some oath or promise.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

And if anyone has seen that door, please email the ntsb, thanks!

https://twitter.com/avgeekjake/status/1743849387024073166?s=46

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Earlier sightings of the panel turned out to be the door of a 1976 Pinto.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

That Works posted:

Seems kind of like flamebait or something. Its not like Trump gives a poo poo if he signs some oath or promise.

Trump calls the decorum bluff and liberals are inconsolable every time

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Naramyth posted:

Trump calls the decorum bluff and liberals are inconsolable every time

Hard to see this any other way. Trump’s talented at highlighting the pointless bullshit in politics where thinking it matters only makes you weak.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Trump and the degenerates that follow him have made me give up on the red parts of America, and I'd love for Democrats to marginalize and disenfranchise Trump voters at every opportunity. These people don't deserve a say in how our society is governed.

It's not like they do anything even remotely useful anyway, they're all frothing at the mouth to attack and marginalize trans and gay people, women, and anyone else that isn't a lily white conservative Christian.

Ridiculous that Hillary calling them deploreables was even remotely a scandal, the term isn't harsh enough for the kind of trash these people really are.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
But the oath is decades old! Which means it could be a result of Bush v Gore lol

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Soul Dentist posted:

But the oath is decades old! Which means it could be a result of Bush v Gore lol

It's a McCarthy era thing that includes a stanza saying you aren't a communist. It was apparently struck down in a supreme court case and is no longer a requirement, but it's obviously a soft-ball win for candidates to show they aren't going to overthrow the government so everyone still agrees to it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Donald the Red keeping his options open

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Donald the Red keeping his options open

Fully AI generated gold plated only the hot kind of gay communism

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
ICYMI, in Donnie Goodbrains news
loving magnets, etc etc

quote:

I could tell you about aircraft carriers, where they use electric catapults. They couldn’t go to the steam, which works better for about 1/100th the price, you know? The electric catapult, you know that story? I could tell you about the elevators on a tremendous carrier, the Gerald Ford, and they decided not to use hydraulic like the John Deere tractor, they decided to use magnets, “we’re gonna use magnets!” to lift up the elevators with seven planes. We need them fast, these massive elevators. They used magnets, they wanted to try it for the first time. This was a ship that was supposed to cost 2.5 billion, it cost 19 billion and didn’t work, and still doesn’t work right.

They had a $900 million cost over on these stupid electric catapults that didn’t work. They had almost a billion dollar cost over on the magnetic elevators. Think of it, magnets. Now all I know about magnets is this, give me a glass of water, let me drop it on the magnets, that’s the end of the magnets. Why didn’t they use John Deere? Why didn’t they bring in the John Deere people? Do you like John Deere? I like John Deere.

This, of course, will be ignored because the media has assigned "old and senile" as Biden's characteristic and we can't have two opposing candidates sharing any attributes.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

how much have how many past iterations of this thread poo poo on EMALS cause it's a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

That's the problem, Donny got told "EMALS" and thought they said "her emails"