Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Although you know, Tool might be the best example because maybe most people just don't like songs about getting a fist shoved up your rear end. Then again, I don't really listen to Taylor Swift so maybe she has a song about that too.

Tool's problem is that they have some pretty good 3 minute pop-songs that are caked in 7 minutes of poo poo for stoned incel libertarians to stare at Magic Eye posters to. The lyrics don't matter to most people outside the hook, there's like a million hits about jerking-off or butt-loving or whatever.

Also their aesthetic looks like indigestion medicine sold at a head shop and is gross.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Junk posted:

whats the difference between butt rock and cock rock

cock rock = upbeat and positive rock with hyper-sexual lyrics that are all about how great they are

butt rock = angry, angsty rock in minor keys with gravely vocals

both being very generic and accessible and designed for radio play.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I was under the impression that the term “butt rock” came about because of a bunch of rock radio stations in the 90s-00s ran IDs that would say “nothing bu(t)t ROCK” so listeners started calling any hard rock music of that era “butt rock”

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Cosmik Debris posted:

You can't "rip off" a folk melody, that's what makes it a folk melody. Whoever they ripped it off from heard his grandfather play it who learned it from his grandfather, etc.

Goodnight Irene is credited to Leadbelly but he literally learned it from his uncle who mostly ripped it off from an earlier published song that had similar lyrics.

It's also really important to do that, because a lot of the folk songs get lost and all we have left are the people who bothered to write them down when they were adapting them. Most of Franz Liszt's hungarian rhapsodies are lost in their original form as far as I can tell. And dont' even try to argue that this is in any way equivalent to a gypsy fiddle tune. Yeah, you can definitely hear what was probably the original melody, but it's like the difference between if I make a steak and if a michelin chef makes a steak.

It's such a silly argument imo. Let people rip stuff in the public domain. So much of our collective culture is a result of that.

I was commenting more on the preciousness that classical music is held in than composers utilising folk music as inspiration. I suspect that classical composers were often writing in a similar mind set to Lennon/McCartney, or even Cobain.

I've heard that the famous organ piece Toccata and Fugue in D Minor was written by Bach to test organs. (I'd also argue, as I have else where, that it is proto-stoner metal.)

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

No see this is where my confusion is.

To me, butt rock has always been classic rock bands that do basically only ballads. Carry On Wayward Son, More Than A Feeling, Don't Stop Believin. Distorted guitars but not enough to make your mom uncomfortable. Croony vocals, almost never screaming or shouting. Verse chorus verse chorus bridge verse chorus. Never edgy.
Cock rock has harder guitars, less melodic vocals, is a little edgier. Pour Some Sugar On Me, Back in Black. For modern artists, Buckcherry is the first I'd think of.

Some bands did both, Aerosmith is a great example whoever suggested that. GnR for sure now that I think about like November Rain or Knockin On Heavens Door.

It's such a funny sub categorization of music. I'm not claiming I've got the only correct interpretation, I've just always thought of it that way. I like hearing how other people have different versions of these common terms.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
It's not complicated, you play cock rock with your cock and butt rock with your butt.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ralph Hurley posted:

I was under the impression that the term “butt rock” came about because of a bunch of rock radio stations in the 90s-00s ran IDs that would say “nothing bu(t)t ROCK” so listeners started calling any hard rock music of that era “butt rock”

Yes, and as such it's just a disparaging term for whatever mainstream rock somebody doesn't like and there isn't much point in trying to come up with a universal musical definition

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Agreed that Thin Lizzy owns hard. I saw a tweet years ago that was something like "you know how in Thin Lizzy's jailbreak, they say 'tonight there's gonna be a jailbreak somewhere in this town', maybe start with the jail, dumbass"

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Rock out with your butt out.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Agreed that Thin Lizzy owns hard. I saw a tweet years ago that was something like "you know how in Thin Lizzy's jailbreak, they say 'tonight there's gonna be a jailbreak somewhere in this town', maybe start with the jail, dumbass"

I always thought it was a metaphor for ditching work to party all night.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

A friend of mine has this on his car

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
has anyone said dickbutt rock yet?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
The funny thing about saying Kurt Cobain was this amazing lyricist is that if you listen to interviews, new or old, Kurt just went into the booth and just sang gibberish that came to him in the moment. Basically on the same creative level as me singing to my dog

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
I never said he was a great lyricist, the only band that had good lyrics imo was procol harum, and anything written by Van Dyke Parks. I dont even care for dylan's if im being honest. Mostly nonsense, and not in the fun, Runciple Spoon kind of a way, but in an annoying beat poetry way.

Cobain still wrote good songs though.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

In general I kind of can't stand when people place value on music based on its technical complexity rather than if it is simply engaging to listen to or elicits any kind of emotional response. Impressive musical skills are meaningless if the results don't make you feel anything.

A long time ago a goon friend showed me Dragonforce and I thought it was very impressive, but just random noise. It was awful.

Everyone has a different emotional response to different music.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Seriously? Butt rock is rock music that makes the ladies shake their butts. Cock rock is music by dudes for dudes talking about how awesome it is being a dude banging ladies. That's it.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Cosmik Debris posted:

I never said he was a great lyricist, the only band that had good lyrics imo was procol harum, and anything written by Van Dyke Parks. I dont even care for dylan's if im being honest. Mostly nonsense, and not in the fun, Runciple Spoon kind of a way, but in an annoying beat poetry way.

Cobain still wrote good songs though.
My 2 favorite bands of all time that I don't get sick of are probably At The Drive In and Deftones and (I would agree that most numetal sucks but Deftones is different)

Both of their lyrics are gibberish fever dream babbling yet I know almost every word.

I mostly listened to 22,000 minutes of synthwave last year though so electronic stuff is definitely also my jam.

Learning smells like teen spirit on guitar right after smoke on the water made me not really respect a super reliant on power cord band, but as I got older I'm not pretentious anymore, if the song is catchy enough I can forgive almost zero technical playing in it.

I'm glad I got to experience some of the most talented musicians ever during my pretentious phase, but I don't exactly listen to them to relax and vibe.

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
Nirvana is the anime of grudge rock

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
In Utero is a masterpiece and every other bit of grunge is mid to awful.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

emSparkly posted:

In Utero is a masterpiece and every other bit of grunge is mid to awful.

It was their "art" album they made how /they/ wanted

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I heard the term 'pub rock' years ago to describe bands like Journey and Kansas; other varoius 70s/80s rock acts that didn't do metal but didn't really go pop or new wave, either.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Learning smells like teen spirit on guitar right after smoke on the water made me not really respect a super reliant on power cord band, but as I got older I'm not pretentious anymore, if the song is catchy enough I can forgive almost zero technical playing in it.

I agree. Green Day was one of the biggest bands in the world and all of their songs consist of 3 to 4 power cords.

I like them though. :shrug: Whatever.

edit: I played with the current drummer at the time of REO Speedwagon in the late 90s at a party for my dad's friend. My dad was guitar/singing, and I was bass backup vocals. I was maybe 15 or so. It was fun. Gary, the drummer, had a warrant out in a few states at the time I believe. He was a fun guy. I'm not a fan of REO Speedwagon. At least I think it was REO. Could have been another band like them.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 6, 2024

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
The problem with chasing what is "technically" good on guitar (or any instrument) is that there's always someone, somehwere, playing something "better" and eventually you get stuck in a rut of "I dont like this band because they're not good enough on their instruments" and then suddenly you're listening to speed metal.

and speed metal sucks. so now you're that guy who tries to convince everyone speed metal is good.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Music loving sucks. Silence is better. That's the original alternative!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Cosmik Debris posted:

The problem with chasing what is "technically" good on guitar (or any instrument) is that there's always someone, somehwere, playing something "better" and eventually you get stuck in a rut of "I dont like this band because they're not good enough on their instruments" and then suddenly you're listening to speed metal.

and speed metal sucks. so now you're that guy who tries to convince everyone speed metal is good.
No, speed metal is awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F0eNKIc1iY
Modern tech death is what you're thinking of, and it does loving suck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snDfSqcPHWk

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

credburn posted:

My dad had a huge record album growing up, and of course I knew Thin Lizzy from their big hit, but man the entire Jailbreak album is so great, and Cowboy Song always was one of my favorites. The main riff gives me chills, one of those nostalgic things....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMdmjoAB-5Q

I always thought it was notable and a thing to annoyingly point it out whenever the opportunity comes up, the lead singer in Thin Lizzy is a black dude.

Thanks for posting this. I grew up resenting a lot of classic rock because I hated the local stations, because I could not pick up the good modern rock stations in my little whitebread poo poo town. I had Thin Lizzy written off because The Boys Are Back In Town got played beyond death and Jailbreak was the only other song they’d play. Maybe now I’ll have to reevaluate them and blame radio for being utter garbage.

I’m going to say that I hate xkcd. Randall Munroe strikes me as the kind of person who regularly brings up some esoteric stuff he’d just read about, like earlier in the day, in casual conversation as though it’s common knowledge, or will insert himself into a conversation and make himself the foremost authority on the topic despite having no experience in it beyond what he’d read on Wikipedia that day because he was bored at work. I get that he probably isn’t, but to me that’s just how xkcd reads; I guess it really rankles me because I have a cousin who is exactly the person I’ve described, and he is one of the most pompous, insufferable, Dunning-Kruger-brained people with whom I’ve ever wasted my time maintaining a friendship.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

root beer posted:

Randall Munroe strikes me as the kind of person who regularly brings up some esoteric stuff he’d just read about, like earlier in the day, in casual conversation as though it’s common knowledge, or will insert himself into a conversation and make himself the foremost authority on the topic despite having no experience in it beyond what he’d read on Wikipedia that day because he was bored at work.

well yeah, he's an engineer.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Cosmik Debris posted:

Not sure where you're running into these dudes, because I honestly can't say I've met anyone like that since maybe junior high. Most people are perfectly capable of enjoying virtuosity and simplicity in equal measure, I do it all the time.

Just not with Nirvana, obviously.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I know a ton of musicians and all they care about re: music is how "technically good" the guitar player is, but everything they like sounds like garbage to me, especially the guitars

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

We'll be listening to something they told me about and the guitar player will do some dumb math-based squiddley-dee and they're like "wow I can't believe he can do that!". Do what, sound like poo poo but really fast???

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
A lot of the really "technically" good music often reminds me of those ultra realistic paintings, where your like wow that painting looks exactly like a photo, but like if it was a photo it would be a pretty boring one.

Like I can appreciate all the time and talent that goes into it, but the end of the day I'd much rather something that's sure a bit less "technically" good, but is far more emotionally/aesthetically pleasing.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
It’s like the difference between foie gras and a really bitchin hoagie. The former is fancier but the latter is just normal good food and I’m ok with that.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

that's where art lives. between hoagies and foie grois. and why good art is so rare. most people stop at one or turn their nose up at the other.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Technique only matters inasmuch as it limits your ability to express yourself.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

The thing with technical players is the yardstick is essentially "what you're playing is tricky and also you're doing it quickly". Musicality rarely has anything to do with it. You see it with guitars all the time "yooo that finger tapping to sweep picking was so awesome!" Yeah unfortunately it sounds like they're practicing usually.

You can play technically challenging and musically interesting things, but for some reasons that seems rare as loving poo poo.

And on the other end you have Nirvana and the like, very simplistic and not technically challenging, but enjoyed by a lot of people. I'm also going to say that Nirvana is not actually as "durr anyone could write this" as people think. But to explain why it's trickier than it sounds usually involves diving into music theory and people will gloss over and go "idunno it sounds simple to me" so gently caress it, just enjoy the tunes.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Les Claypool is technically one of the best bass players. But he might as well just be slapping his dick and balls on the fretboard for most his songs for how it sounds.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

syntaxfunction posted:

The thing with technical players is the yardstick is essentially "what you're playing is tricky and also you're doing it quickly". Musicality rarely has anything to do with it. You see it with guitars all the time "yooo that finger tapping to sweep picking was so awesome!" Yeah unfortunately it sounds like they're practicing usually.

You can play technically challenging and musically interesting things, but for some reasons that seems rare as loving poo poo.

The best guitar solos (or solos in general) are ones that you couldn't imagine being in any other song because they serve that song so well.

Robert Fripp's solo on Eno's Baby's on Fire and Dean Ween's on Demon Sweat are two that are like that for me.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Another classic example is the sax solo on Baker street.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Les Claypool is technically one of the best bass players. But he might as well just be slapping his dick and balls on the fretboard for most his songs for how it sounds.

That does sound like a technique he might try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

Knowing when not to play is as important, and in a lot of ways, more important, than knowing when to play. Speaking as someone who's played in bands for a long time, people who are very technically accomplished can have a hard time pulling it back and giving space to other elements of the song. They get bored and start to resent the band. That's why things like jazz fusion exist - everyone soloing on top of each other for 7 minutes. Like, cool, they're having a blast, I know there's an audience of other technically accomplished musicians out there who like listening to it - but I dont. That poo poo sounds awful to me. Same with noodly jam band nonsense.

No, bands like nirvana are rare. Everybody in the band knew what was up. Dave Grohl is a sick drummer but he knows to just do basic poo poo sometimes and let Kurt sing. Because Kurt may not have played guitar amazingly, but he had a good voice and was a good singer with an interesting style in addition to writing catchy songs.

As for primus, I like primus, but I can't help but think they're a math funk version of The Residents.

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 7, 2024