Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

I like seeing things get tagged then obliterated. It gives me a warm, safe feeling.

It's the most effective attack most of vet's teammates have. "Hey this is bothering me" *liquified*

It almost makes my grenades feel kinda useless. I use the krak grenades in case we need something really big dead fast. The frag grenades have such a small radius that it never feels worth switching to them, and the smoke grenades need to be a much faster deploy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
ive actually switched away from kraks recently, back to frags. the new shovels add some legit anti-armor options to the vet and make kraks less important, and as it turns out frags are still very good at buying you space and knocking down or even killing rager rushes (and even crusher spam to an extent) if you dump them all at once

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
The bleeds from frags are their main source of damage. One grenade will kill almost nothing, 2 will kill any number of nonelites, 3 will kill everything up to ogryns. If you can catch a patrol before it aggros, your entire kill feed can be choked from 3 grenades

Magitek fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 6, 2024

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.
It has been said that a thunder hammer to the face is the most enjoyable part of this game, but I would like to nominate:

Death-from-aboving with an Ogryn super heavy attack off a drop
Torching a hallway/horizon-full of shotgunners

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

ninjoatse.cx posted:

It's the most effective attack most of vet's teammates have. "Hey this is bothering me" *liquified*

It almost makes my grenades feel kinda useless. I use the krak grenades in case we need something really big dead fast. The frag grenades have such a small radius that it never feels worth switching to them, and the smoke grenades need to be a much faster deploy.

Frags are great at just making space from chaff so you can get back to vaporising elites. With grenade regen(s) you have a literal infinite supply, plus they will still stagger ogryns, and monsters like the spawn and plagueryn. Between the sword and frag nades you should never have to use precious plasma on anything non-taggable.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I finally got an almost perfectly optimized plasma gun (one of the blessings is level 3 instead of 4) and this thing just cooks. I feel bad because I just tag things for the damage bonus, and everyone else wastes ammo/grenades on stuff I'm just going to vaporize in one second.

I tag things so I can keep track of them while they're behind the ogryn(s) and I can still shoot em :v:. In retrospect choosing the tiniest body frame for vet is a mixed blessing.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jan 6, 2024

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Magitek posted:

The bleeds from frags are their main source of damage. One grenade will kill almost nothing, 2 will kill any number of nonelites, 3 will kill everything up to ogryns. If you can catch a patrol before it aggros, your entire kill feed can be choked from 3 grenades

And you'll have all 3 back in 3 minutes. Love frags.

JohnnySavs posted:

It has been said that a thunder hammer to the face is the most enjoyable part of this game, but I would like to nominate:

Death-from-aboving with an Ogryn super heavy attack off a drop
Torching a hallway/horizon-full of shotgunners

Nope it's still bonking trappers with the rumbler.

https://i.imgur.com/pWeMBDc.mp4

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
I’ve been going freakmode and using smokes since I’m using rashad and pistol on vet, so a pack of crushers is annoying but manageable. They’re very nifty so long as you know their rules.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Tell me more.

Also is it viable to be a speedy revolver veteran with all the reload bonuses? I just like running and sliding and blapping heretics in the head freeballing it with the revolver.

I posted it upthread but tweaked it a bit since.

I like using the new chainsword because it swings really fast and hits hard, so even though its lacking in sweep chains it still mulches hordes as long as you dance. You've got Krak for bunches of harder targets that you can't cut in half as easy, and regen so you never have to be afraid of using them. Every other node is pretty melee or toughness focused.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 7, 2024

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm just happy to see that over the new year they didn't leave the dog switch on again.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Homeless Friend posted:

I’ve been going freakmode and using smokes since I’m using rashad and pistol on vet, so a pack of crushers is annoying but manageable. They’re very nifty so long as you know their rules.

Can you elaborate on the rules? I've been trying to make smokes work since they were introduced.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Something I've noticed with smoke grenades is that if you throw one a short distance away (so you are next to but not in the smoke cloud), shooters who see the smoke run through the smoke to get line of sight on you - so it baits them into melee range. At least in hallways anyway, I have not studied their behavior in large, open areas.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Mendrian posted:

Can you elaborate on the rules? I've been trying to make smokes work since they were introduced.

some redditor sat down for like 8 hours to figure out wtf they do. effectively its like spawning a circular room that a lot of ai can't target through, but can target while in. I like it because it fills in as a traversal skill for veteran, as a melee vet you can regen a lot of toughness but you can easily get pinned if you mess up and our out of place with gunners zapping your rear end. you can basically guarantee rezzes and decrypts with it too. since covering for somebody in smoke + your shout makes it pretty drat easy.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Homeless Friend posted:

some redditor sat down for like 8 hours to figure out wtf they do. effectively its like spawning a circular room that a lot of ai can't target through, but can target while in. I like it because it fills in as a traversal skill for veteran, as a melee vet you can regen a lot of toughness but you can easily get pinned if you mess up and our out of place with gunners zapping your rear end. you can basically guarantee rezzes and decrypts with it too. since covering for somebody in smoke + your shout makes it pretty drat easy.

Smoke grenades need to offer something in addition to what they do now. Like maybe the bonus of one of the stims while you're in the smoke, similar to X-COM.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

As they are the only real defensive option they should offer damage reduction or toughness regen.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Toughness regen is just so... done. Give them something that's harder to get.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I’d rather it didn’t give a buff, because that just makes it even more like the Psyker Shield, which it’s already unpleasantly similar to. It should just do something useful against non-shooter enemies, like applying repeated stagger to disrupt melee enemies.

e: It also needs to look… different. There’s a reason XCOM smoke grenades are bright pink.

megane fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 7, 2024

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

megane posted:

I’d rather it didn’t give a buff, because that just makes it even more like the Psyker Shield, which it’s already unpleasantly similar to. It should just do something useful against non-shooter enemies, like applying repeated stagger to disrupt melee enemies.

e: It also needs to look… different. There’s a reason XCOM smoke grenades are bright pink.

Make them stim grenades. All the smoke you're inhaling gives you faster melee attacks.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Smoke grenades need to offer something in addition to what they do now. Like maybe the bonus of one of the stims while you're in the smoke, similar to X-COM.

it'd be really easy to make em too drat powerful imo since unlike the bubble they operate on ai pathfinding directly which is what makes them so useful, it should be wacky peripheral effect like extinguishing flame or removing slug barf from the floor on detonation.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Smoke bomb just needs to stagger enemies inside on detonation for 1 second, that's all.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Smoke bombs are now colored to reveal the gender of the person that threw it

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Smoke grenades obscure player visibility too much. Enemy snipers and bombers don’t give a drat about smoke, yet it can seriously hamper your own ability to deal with them. A poorly positioned smoke grenade does far more harm than good.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

megane posted:

It should just do something useful against non-shooter enemies, like applying repeated stagger to disrupt melee enemies.
That would just turn them into stun grenades but better instead.

Magitek posted:

Smoke grenades obscure player visibility too much. Enemy snipers and bombers don’t give a drat about smoke, yet it can seriously hamper your own ability to deal with them. A poorly positioned smoke grenade does far more harm than good.
Yeah these are really the main issues with them. Gunners and Reapers should probably just stop shooting as well because while they currently lose tracking it would communicate the smoke's effectiveness better.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Fishstick posted:

Smoke bombs are now colored to reveal the gender of the person that threw it

Seems redundant, zealot already has incendiaries

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Smoke bombs should extinguish fire and return Grendyl to life.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Gender is a heretical concept that dares to conceive of a life that has value beyond its service to the emperor.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

Smoke bombs should extinguish fire and return Grendyl to life.

Smoke bombs extinguishing fire would be amazing.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Titanfall did it so darktide should be able to as well

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Magitek posted:

i just just spot through the smoke, or just follow the laser. i do wonder how smoke looks across settings, its negligible unless your dead center for me.

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

are there ideal perks for a crusher? I currently have flak and carapace but could change one or both

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

"Oh nice, I can complete these weeklies quickly. I just need 3 missions without deaths and 750 dregs in melee."

"Best I can give you is teams of Assail Psykers and Rumbler Ogryns and also they blow themselves off bridges on low difficulty."

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Yeah, getting in a few runs with no deaths always takes me longer than killing 8 monstrosities, X scabs melee, Y dregs ranged, etc.

Either you play Damnation and get unlucky with otherwise skilled players, or you step down to a lower difficulty and get unlucky with inexperienced players, because someone stumbles into the daemonhost or a psyker tries to solo melee a rager

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I avoid the missions with no deaths because it's too reliant on everyone else playing well, less frustrating to just crank out kills and plas/dia pickups.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, no deaths and scripts/grims are an insta-skip for me.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I played two separate games today where, when the rear end in a top hat who picked up a grimoire went down, we actively chose to let that fucker die.

If this trend becomes standard, I'll be very very happy.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Can someone explain to me why they insist on drawing maps that have railings missing in key places? Like, why is that corner missing a railing when the adjacent areas have it? Silly.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

Can someone explain to me why they insist on drawing maps that have railings missing in key places? Like, why is that corner missing a railing when the adjacent areas have it? Silly.

OHSA was declared heretical in the 30 thousandth century.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Unless it's "one game with no player deaths" I will reroll that thing, even then it's likely I'll finish everything else first.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

"Oh nice, I can complete these weeklies quickly. I just need 3 missions without deaths and 750 dregs in melee."

"Best I can give you is teams of Assail Psykers and Rumbler Ogryns and also they blow themselves off bridges on low difficulty."

Hey man what's your problem with Rumbler, the objectively best weapon?

https://i.imgur.com/oSN7ObX.mp4

Hats Wouldnt Fly fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jan 8, 2024

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I like the Rumbler. But there's a certain kind of Ogryn who never switches to melee and instead eats all the ammo and obscures everything behind big black clouds of smoke and knocks things over when you're trying to kill them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I like the Rumbler. But there's a certain kind of Ogryn who never switches to melee and instead eats all the ammo and obscures everything behind big black clouds of smoke and knocks things over when you're trying to kill them.

My entire Avoid list is filled with this type of player. Every single slot.