Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Those of you who haven't read the manga/LN. Who do you think the monecle'd man is who shows up in the OP and a few times this episode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Man, I just do not care about this romance. Leave the nice ace girl alone, sad pretty boy.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Nitrousoxide posted:

Those of you who haven't read the manga/LN. Who do you think the monecle'd man is who shows up in the OP and a few times this episode?

He's Mon Oncle, of course.

(A little Jacques Tati humor for the day.)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Can someone explain to me why her name switches between Maomao and Xiaomao?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

Xiaomao is a more friendly form and means something like "pussycat", an allusion to her name which is an onomatopoeia for a cat mewing

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 7, 2024

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

xiaomao is gaoshun's nickname for her

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

In Mandarin, it can be thought of as an honorific in Japanese a.k.a. -chan or -kun although it can be a part of someone's full name like Deng Xiaoping as a random real example. It literally means small in Mandarin so I've generally equated it to -chan though my Mandarin isn't the most comprehensive and I'm not well versed in what is typical or proper etiquette.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
I can't wait to complain more about names in this series

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Thanks. Good I asked because I interpreted it the other way around. Like now that her employment situation has changed, they refer to her by her formally given name "Xiaomao" whereas before she always went by a nickname she got by repeating her second syllable.
But honestly that Interpretation makes not that much sense. Why would the kidnappers use her nickname on those sales documents, after all?

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
More chinese tidbits, more I say

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Haystack posted:

Man, I just do not care about this romance. Leave the nice ace girl alone, sad pretty boy.

As someone who generally does not give any kind of rootin toot about romances, I love this show. Jinshi has got it so bad, but is stuck in place despite his multitude of charms and means. Maomao barely has any conception of what she feels but sometimes it sneaks up on her and she has a freakout about it.

I'll take that over two goobers staring longfully into each other's eyes any day of the weak.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

If Maomao actually mooned over Jinshi at any point I'd be invested in relationship. But shes displayed zero interest or internal conflict, even in her internal narratives. At most you get her rolling her eyes at his obvious good looks, like he was some sort of needy show dog.

I mean, I'm sure the authorial intent is that they're supposed to be all star-crossed and that Maomao is just self-possessed or repressed or some poo poo, but man the show does absolutely the opposite of showing that.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I'd say the show is accurately showing Maomao's feelings (or lack thereof) toward Jinshi given the material from the LN covered so far.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 7, 2024

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Maomao has a lot of reasons to not acknowledge jinshi's interest; i'd say what she feels about it at this point is that it's a bad idea and she hopes he'll give up or lose interest. it's not that she dislikes him necessarily but, as she pointed out very clearly earlier in the season, there's a massive power differential between them. It's not the basis for a healthy relationship. What with this being pseudo imperial china and jinshi having an unconfirmed but blatantly-hinted-at personal relation of some kind to the emperor, he could force the issue if he wanted to, but that wouldn't make anybody happy. Not him and certainly not maomao.

If this seems at odds with the romcom-ish framing of many of their interactions, I'd agree. That dissonance is one of the parts of this story I like less.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

gwrtheyrn posted:

I can't wait to complain more about names in this series

i did have a question about how the names are handled in the japanese, since a lot of them seem like transliteration of vaguely chinese-style names. like are they mixtures of kanji with onyomi readings and then some katakana sprinkled in, or do they use chinese characters with furigana for approximate pronunciations, or what?

sharkmafia posted:

If this seems at odds with the romcom-ish framing of many of their interactions, I'd agree. That dissonance is one of the parts of this story I like less.

yeah i'm sort of assuming the dissonance is intentional. like, e.g., there's a way they could have framed the scene where drunk jinshi holds maomao to be more like something you'd see in a traditional romcom, "jinshi lets down his facade and shows his vulnerability" or whatever, but maomao's discomfort and feeling of powerlessness is foregrounded in a way that doesn't let you forget how uncomfortable the power dynamics at play are.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Yeah, I'm pretty sure at the moment any "romance" between them is 100% intentionally unhealthy and unworkable. There's a terrible distance between them that she can't trust can ever be overcome, she's conscious of him but also incredibly jaded about the very idea of love. Hell, there aren't really any healthy relationships in the series thus far - the closest is the Emperor with two of his consorts, and even that's tainted by all the everything around it. Meanwhile Maomao is becoming the unattainable love for the man who is himself so many people's unattainable love.

Like not to do the wink-wink-nudge-nudge Totally Not Spoilers thing from having read ahead but things do not get simple for them. And the issues aren't totally on Maomao's end.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Nitrousoxide posted:

A Nerd.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

disposablewords posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure at the moment any "romance" between them is 100% intentionally unhealthy and unworkable. There's a terrible distance between them that she can't trust can ever be overcome, she's conscious of him but also incredibly jaded about the very idea of love. Hell, there aren't really any healthy relationships in the series thus far - the closest is the Emperor with two of his consorts, and even that's tainted by all the everything around it. Meanwhile Maomao is becoming the unattainable love for the man who is himself so many people's unattainable love.

Like not to do the wink-wink-nudge-nudge Totally Not Spoilers thing from having read ahead but things do not get simple for them. And the issues aren't totally on Maomao's end.

Hey now! Maomao and Luomen have a healthy Father/Daughter relationship! And her "sisters" in the Verdigris House are very caring too!

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
There’s some good loving coming up when MAJOR SPOILERS Rakan redeems Mao Mao’s mom :colbert:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

RoyalScion posted:

There’s some good loving coming up when MAJOR SPOILERS Rakan redeems Mao Mao’s mom :colbert:
xayah in shambles

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

'Cuz Gaoshun has to find a way to entertain himself.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

disposablewords posted:

Maomao is a very practical person with lots of self-awareness. Like, there is no way in her mind she, a commoner, would consider a romance with an eunuch of extremely high social status. Not only it would be dangerous for her but what would be the point?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

He was playing go like one. We have a winner here.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

trucutru posted:

Maomao is a very practical person with lots of self-awareness. Like, there is no way in her mind she, a commoner, would consider a romance with an eunuch of extremely high social status. Not only it would be dangerous for her but what would be the point?

The extremely high social status eunuch could buy her all the :catdrugs: she wants, and she wont need to get knocked up.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
and then she'd be a target for every woman in the palace. even if rank and social standing wasn't a problem, jinshi is just too drat pretty and maomao wants no part of that drama.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Spoiler/speculation based on assumptions from the manga and the show so far: When it comes out that Jinshi is actually A) not a eunuch, and B) the only son of the current emperor and not his little brother, then I could see Empress Maomao as a possible future.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

and then she'd be a target for every woman in the palace. even if rank and social standing wasn't a problem, jinshi is just too drat pretty and maomao wants no part of that drama.

Why doesn't Jinshi just get some scars then? If he ruins his beauty, surely he won't attract so much attention any more.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

They'd have to be some wicked nasty scars to make that face and bod not desirable and how would he even arrange for such a thing without losing standing in the Outer Court?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kvantum posted:

Spoiler/speculation based on assumptions from the manga and the show so far: When it comes out that Jinshi is actually A) not a eunuch, and B) the only son of the current emperor and not his little brother, then I could see Empress Maomao as a possible future.

Your spoiler just listed reasons why it would be even more difficult for that to be possible.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I don't feel like the Jinshi Maomao relationship is going anywhere unless Maomao makes the first move. She instinctively rejects his advances and has no interest in romance. Until that changes they're stuck in a holding pattern.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Maomao is vey clearly, and deliberately, Not Interested in Jinshi, in a way i don't think i've seen in a romance(?) story before. It's clear that any and all romantic feelings she might develop will be developed reluctantly and without her consent. She may also continue to stonewall him without missing a beat even once she recognizes her feelings because she has an acute sense of the power structure in her society

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
none of the things maomao actually wants out of life are even slightly possible. it's no wonder she has such a cynical worldview.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Nihilarian posted:

Maomao is vey clearly, and deliberately, Not Interested in Jinshi, in a way i don't think i've seen in a romance(?) story before. It's clear that any and all romantic feelings she might develop will be developed reluctantly and without her consent. She may also continue to stonewall him without missing a beat even once she recognizes her feelings because she has an acute sense of the power structure in her society

Yeah, normally with a star-crossed romance like this we'd be getting at least a bit of pining after impossible fruit, but there's been absolutely nothing coming from Maomao's direction. It's particularly noticeable thanks to the contrast with her poison fetish.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
On the other hand she does acknowledge that Jinshi has a splendid frog

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

"No, Maomao, not herpes, herpetology."

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
One thing to remember is that Jinshi is a Eunuch, i.e. literally castrated, so the possibility of romance with him in her mind is further removed with the other reasons brought up factored in. She doesn't assume it's any kind of attraction from him. Merely, him loving with her because surely a eunuch wouldn't have interest in the opposite gender, and certainly not with someone like her, right?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Eunuchs can still have interest in the opposite sex, it's just uncommon. The hormones aren't there but the patterns of behavior can be set before the procedure and the eunuch can still pursue women.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
maybe they can work on their employment relationship first because they have had some serious miscommunications recently

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I would point out that since this is a China analogue, the eunuchs have the whole package removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I dunno, the whole POINT of Jinshi being there is that consorts sometimes act the fool with eunuchs and other consorts/servant girls. Just because you don't have the kit doesn't mean you can't caboodle.

It's just like most goons said: Maomao doesn't see the point without something in it for someone, a purpose. Not that we know whether or not she'd be with him if there was something in it for her, considering their social statuses.

Either way, romance isn't the point of this anime and I'm fine whether it stays one-sided or not. Give me more apothecary mysteries!

Pan Dulce fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 9, 2024