Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
What you want is an Ikea Milsbo Cabinet.
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/milsbo-glass-door-cabinet-anthracite-30396448/

The're significantly larger and sturdier than a Detolf, and much nicer. Lots of folks use them for display and for indoor greenhouses so you con find instructions for adding shelves, or LED lighting if you want.
You can fit a medium sized army on a single shelf, or add a few acrylic risers to give you some extra space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Shoehead posted:

I could probably finish painting something before converting another-

Oops I fell!

That's great- when I get around to doing my Votann KT I might do the same!

I have the same sickness- I'm now making conversions/kitbashes for a game I don't play (stemming from my Alpha Legion kill team).

Alpha Legion Warpsmith:

Alpha Legion Cultist Captain:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

poop chute posted:

Pay no attention to my awful workspace, I'm working on a better one.

Too late, and now I want some Salt & Vinegar Pringles.

poop chute
Nov 16, 2023

by Athanatos
Too bad, that's a receptacle for starbursts wrappers.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

The Demilich posted:

I know the now discontinued Ikea Detolf display shelf was one of the top recommendations everywhere online, specifically when paired with extra shelves and shelf holders.

Wait it's gone? Dang, I saw it everywhere.

But I've been using a Milsbo personally. The space helps me eye for dust underneath, and I feel like it has more sturdiness than the Detolf. (which is probably an illusion, but still)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Bucnasti posted:

Plastic cement can come in different viscosities so it doesn't always have wicking action. Tamiya's Plastic Cement (Orange Bottle and top) is thick and sticky, Tamiya Extra Thin (Green Top) is what will wick into joints.

Oooo, thank you! That makes sense

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
just to keep things confusing, Tamiya also makes limonene cement, which has an orange cap and orange label (or orange cap and yellow label for the extra thin)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Crossposting some minis I did in the past week

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Shoehead posted:

I could probably finish painting something before converting another-

Oops I fell!

This loving rules holy poo poo

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

AndyElusive posted:

Super glue was always my go to for the longest time, even with plastic kits. That is until the day I dropped a couple of minis on the floor and literally every little single thing that had been superglued on snapped off and flew into the empyrean.

See this is why I like super glue though. Yeah it sucks when you drop poo poo unintentionally, but 98% of my time, I’m deliberately ripping parts off, and dropping my toys is still bad with plastic glue. I much prefer being able to rip bits off at my whim.

Although in favour of plastic glue, you don’t get the gnarly hand covering from it

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Although in favour of plastic glue, you don’t get the gnarly hand covering from it

Yeah, I once had a tube of plastic glue explode in my hand from a rent in it. That was a fun time scraping that off with a knife.

But otherwise I do like super glue for the same reasons.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Removing super glue from eBay rescues after a bath in purple stuff is so satisfying- it comes off like a dream, revealing the cool model underneath

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Professor Shark posted:

Removing super glue from eBay rescues after a bath in purple stuff is so satisfying- it comes off like a dream, revealing the cool model underneath

Ohhh what's this purple stuff? I tried alcohol on my Taurox rescue and also narrowly avoided destroying it in an acetone bath.. This thing is drownt in superglue and residue

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Shoehead posted:

Ohhh what's this purple stuff? I tried alcohol on my Taurox rescue and also narrowly avoided destroying it in an acetone bath.. This thing is drownt in superglue and residue

put it in the freezer, that makes CA glue brittle and easy to shatter

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Spanish Manlove posted:

put it in the freezer, that makes CA glue brittle and easy to shatter

Sure, I'll pop it in tonight. Now hopefully I don't forget about it and upset my parents when they go to get some peas in a month

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Shoehead posted:

Ohhh what's this purple stuff?

Castrol Super Clean, unless there is a newer ‘purple stuff’ I don’t know about.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Super Clean it is

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

WIP of my Lord Solar proxy. I'm currently doing some practices before I paint a tiny Icon into the frames on the barding.

I ended up being pretty conservative with this conversion, I really wanted to cover him in medals, but it didn't look right. I've got a lot of touching up on the horse still to do as well, but it is getting closer to done.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, for the icon I definitely would've done a half a dozen practise runs until I got confident enough.
And then probably do a dozen more because I know I'd lack the confidence anyhow. :v:

Should've given him an extra big model instead then. Just repurpose some parchment from a purity steal with a fancy enough top bit for medal. Think I did it for a Navy Admiral I kitbashed from a Commissar.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Yeah, I started doing them twice as big, and have been steadily scaling down.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Virtual Russian posted:

WIP of my Lord Solar proxy. I'm currently doing some practices before I paint a tiny Icon into the frames on the barding.

I ended up being pretty conservative with this conversion, I really wanted to cover him in medals, but it didn't look right. I've got a lot of touching up on the horse still to do as well, but it is getting closer to done.

That's awesome!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Virtual Russian posted:

Your vostroyans whip rear end but this guy especially does. Or I suppose he’s whipping cyber horse but still.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Virtual Russian posted:

I ended up being pretty conservative with this conversion, I really wanted to cover him in medals, but it didn't look right.

Who needs a refractor field when there's more metal on your chest in medals than on a space marine.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

While I've got people, I'd love to get some feedback on the following 1000pt list.

quote:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ FACTION KEYWORD: Imperium - Astra Militarum
+ DETACHMENT: Combined Regiment
+ TOTAL ARMY POINTS: 1000pts
+
+ WARLORD: Char2: Platoon Command Squad
+ ENHANCEMENT: Grand Strategist (on Char2: Platoon Command Squad - Platoon Commander)
+ NUMBER OF UNITS: 11
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

CHARACTER

Char1: 5x Cadian Command Squad (65pts)
• 1x Cadian Commander
• 1 with Plasma Pistol, Power Weapon
• 4x Veteran Guardsman
• 1 with Power Fist, Laspistol
• 1 with Close Combat Weapon, Lasgun, Master Vox
• 1 with Medi-pack, Close Combat Weapon, Lasgun
• 1 with Close Combat Weapon, Laspistol, Regimental Standard, Lasgun

Char2: 4x Platoon Command Squad (75pts)
• 1x Platoon Commander
• 1 with Power Weapon, Plasma Pistol, Grand Strategist
• 2x Veteran Guardsman
• 1 with Close Combat Weapon, Laspistol, Plasma Gun
• 1 with Master Vox, Close Combat Weapon, Laspistol, Lasgun
• 1x Veteran Heavy Weapons Team
• 1 with Laspistol, Close Combat Weapon, Lascannon

BATTLELINE

20x Cadian Shock Troops (120pts)
• 18x Shock Trooper
• 13 with Lasgun, Close Combat Weapon
• 2 with Close Combat Weapon, Grenade Launcher
• 2 with Close Combat Weapon, Plasma Gun
• 1 with Vox-caster, Lasgun, Close Combat Weapon
• 2x Shock Trooper Sergeant
• 2 with Bolt Pistol, Chainsword

10x Cadian Shock Troops (60pts)
• 9x Shock Trooper
• 6 with Lasgun, Close Combat Weapon
• 1 with Close Combat Weapon, Grenade Launcher
• 1 with Close Combat Weapon, Plasma Gun
• 1x Shock Trooper Sergeant
• 1 with Drum-fed Autogun, Close Combat Weapon

10x Cadian Shock Troops (60pts)
• 9x Shock Trooper
• 6 with Lasgun, Close Combat Weapon
• 1 with Close Combat Weapon, Grenade Launcher (or meltagun)
• 1 with Close Combat Weapon, Plasma Gun (or flamer)
• 1x Shock Trooper Sergeant
• 1 with Bolt Pistol, Chainsword

OTHER DATASHEETS

Earthshaker Carriage Battery (120pts)
• 1x Battery close combat weapons
• 1x Earthshaker cannon

2x Field Ordnance Battery (120pts)
• 2x Ordnance Teams
• 2 with Battery Close Combat Weapons, Lasgun, Laspistol, Bombast Field Gun

5x Attilan Rough Riders (70pts)
• 4x Attilan Rough Rider
• 1 with Laspistol, Lasgun, Goad Lance, Steed's Hooves
• 3 with Laspistol, Lasgun, Hunting Lance, Steed's Hooves
• 1x Rough Rider Sergeant
• 1 with Power Sabre, Lasgun, Laspistol, Steed's Hooves, Hunting Lance

Leman Russ Battle Tank (180pts)
• 1x Leman Russ Battle Cannon
• 1x Armoured Tracks
• 1x Hunter-killer Missile
• 1x Lascannon
• 1x Heavy Stubber
• 1x 2 Heavy Bolters

Scout Sentinels (60pts)
• 1x Scout Sentinel
• 1 with Sentinel Chainsaw, Close Combat Weapon, Hunter-killer Missile, Lascannon

Chimera (70pts)
• 1x Armoured Tracks
• 1x Chimera Multi-laser
• 1x Heavy Bolter
• 1x Lasgun Array
• 1x Heavy Stubber

Taking previous feedback, I broke up a big block of infantry. The Cadian Command will lead the remaining infantry brick, the Platoon Command will live inside the Chimera, significantly beefing up its firepower as well. Though I intend it to stay in the backfield giving orders to my guns or frontline as needed. I should have way more drum-fed autoguns, but I have to convert them and only have one so far, so the list reflects that. With the exception of the scout sentinel, I own everything here, so that is also a big factor at play. Well, I need another plasma gun and grenade launcher, but have a flamer and melta for Combat Patrol, so I could make a close-in squad.

A pair of command squads seems excessive, but each fulfills a task. The warlord is giving orders from the Chimera, and giving it a lascannon and plasmagun. The Cadian one should be making the infantry brick a touch tougher, and will let it contest objectives even late in the game when low on bodies. I've also strongly considered both a Castellan or Creed to replace it, but I do really want that banner flying. A bit of rule of cool, but also I think I get more bang for my buck going with the command squad.

Is there a strong case to change what I use for Officers? I'm also wondering if there are any clear deficiencies in the list? I feel like I managed a good balance of arty, infantry, and armour, with 3 orders to go around each turn.

Lastly, Guard players, what do you think of the Medusa Carriage Battery? It hits like a sledgehammer, but seems too short ranged to be truly very useful. Still, sustained hits...

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Ah home from work, time to finish off this week's painti-

Oh no I slipped again!

I was gonna use that plastic rod to fit an axe onto that shaft and now I'm seriously thinking of making a lightsaber instead.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Shoehead posted:

Oh no I slipped again!

I was gonna use that plastic rod to fit an axe onto that shaft and now I'm seriously thinking of making a lightsaber instead.

Replace it with the exact same size acrylic rod in neon green or yellow, and it could be a throwback to the early Necron models.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Virtual Russian posted:

While I've got people, I'd love to get some feedback on the following 1000pt list.

Never noticed that cadian shock troops get 2 picks of special weapons.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

Never noticed that cadian shock troops get 2 picks of special weapons.

The trade off is that they cannot take heavy weapons teams. The standard vanilla infantry team can take heavy weapons or the special weapons or a mix and match in a squad of 20. Catachans only get flamers, and they get one for every 5. Krieg get 2 special weapons, cannot be the same, have the option to take sniper, but if you want a plasma gun you lose the voxcaster. The plasma gun does not count against the 2 special weapons.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
The plasma or vox choice is particularly baffling to me

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's probably based on what you get in the Krieg Veteran KT box.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I previously had been using heavy weapons, but you don't really want to stay put so you're always hitting on 5s. Plus shaving those points gets me grand strategist. Sticky objectives are very handy as well. The 3rd edition player in me thinks I need those weapon teams, but they are too defensive.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

moths posted:

It's probably based on what you get in the Krieg Veteran KT box.

Yeah I believe it's because of a specific torso or arm (?) piece that is needed for both the Vox and the Plasma, and there's only one provided.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Kaal posted:

Yeah I believe it's because of a specific torso or arm (?) piece that is needed for both the Vox and the Plasma, and there's only one provided.

It's even stupider than that, looking at the assembly instructions. The radio dude is holding a flare gun and map, so he's not sharing any of the arm bits with the plasma gun. It's just that the way the instructions are set up, the plasma and radio guy share the number 6 torso. There's nothing actually stopping you from using those arms on other torsos, but I guess we have to blindly follow the rules of miniature assembly.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I was at my first (small and informal) tournament yesterday. Most of the players there were also somewhat inexperienced, but I was still worried I would lose all my battles. I brought this Custodes army:

pre:
Blade Champion (120pts): Vault sword
Shield-Captain (140pts): Sentinel Blade, Warlord

4x Custodian Guard (200pts)
5x Custodian Guard (250pts)
4x Prosecutors (40pts)
4x Prosecutors (40pts)

3x Allarus Custodians (210pts)
I lost a fight against Necrons, and won against Orks and Chaos Daemons (Nurgle). It turns out I am very susceptible to distraction carnifexes, and I mostly lost against the Necrons due to obsessing over the Nightbringer he brought, and throwing everything at it, instead of dealing with the artillery he parked on objectives. I tabled the Orks player, mostly because he hadn't realised just how fast a Blade Champion leading a bunch of Custodian Guard can be. The Daemons player had brought a Great Unclean One and two War Dogs, which I was completely terrified of. However, I was lucky enough to pretty much always have my guards fight on objectives that I controlled, which meant I could reroll my wound rolls, so I tabled those as well. That player had some really unlucky charge rolls as well, and for some reason deep striked his Great Unclean one within charge distance of both my Allarus terminators and my Blade Champion squad.

I had a good time and everyone was friendly and cooperative. With my playing style, I should probably have made a World Eaters army instead.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I was looking at the third party offerings for Great unclean Ones and it’s crazy how detailed, cool, and cheap the offerings are compared to GW/ Forgeworld

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Shoehead posted:

Oh no I slipped again!

Get a fedora on him and that's Inquisitor Obiwan Sherlock Cluseau right there.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I contacted Wargames and they expressed interest in making Obiwan Sherlock Closseau but said things were messed up because of the Russia thing so it might be a while 😬

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Professor Shark posted:

I was looking at the third party offerings for Great unclean Ones and it’s crazy how detailed, cool, and cheap the offerings are compared to GW/ Forgeworld

The first time you put together an RG level Gundam kit you're going to never look at GW kits the same way

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah but Bandai kits are scale model kits not miniature war gaming kits.

I don't think a Rogal Dorn is comparable to a matilda mk II from Tamiya either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Decorus posted:

It's even stupider than that, looking at the assembly instructions. The radio dude is holding a flare gun and map, so he's not sharing any of the arm bits with the plasma gun. It's just that the way the instructions are set up, the plasma and radio guy share the number 6 torso. There's nothing actually stopping you from using those arms on other torsos, but I guess we have to blindly follow the rules of miniature assembly.

That set does inexplicably use the same arm piece for an NCO with a bolter and a plasma gunner so you have to kitbash if you want both of them