Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I went into Sasaki and Peeps with high hopes because I tend to like shows that mash elements of different genres together, but I ended up being very disappointed. Sasaki’s personality just doesn’t work for me; he’s so morose and lifeless 90% of the time, barely reacting to anything that’s going on around him, and most of the side characters are as flat as cardboard, especially the ones in the fantasy world. Peeps seems like he’d fun, but only if he had a better co-star to bounce off of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Southern Cassowary posted:

watched the first ep of a sign of affection - yuki is a hearing-impaired college student who meets itsuomi, a charming polyglot world traveler

i loving loved this. incredibly charming, knows when to be funny and make goofy faces and when to lean into the romance, the concept was cool without being overly cloying, the style was great. this is at the top of the things i'm most excited to keep watching this season now.

holy cow yes. we'll see how the rest of the cast shapes up but i thought the first episode was excellent

yuki's unexpected outburst of joy at the end of the episode is an incredible anime moment

https://i.imgur.com/AgWa4PD.mp4

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
also, i like funny faces and sign of affection has plenty of that, but i was really impressed with some of the shot compositions. hats off to whoever made standing outside of a red robin analogue look this compelling.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Something I hadn't thought about until I heard it on a video the other day is that elf fans have been eating real good these past couple of years. Not just Frieren and Marcille, but we had "Otaku Elf" last Spring and "Welcome to Japan, Ms. Elf" has recently been announced. Then there's all of Cid's crew in "Eminence in Shadow." Now all we need is "Plus-Sized Elf" and [REDACTED BEFORE THIS POST BRINGS IT INTO BEING BECAUSE I APPEAR TO BE A GODDAMNED CASSANDRA] ...

...okay, maybe not that last one. Who can say. Either way, we're having an Eflstravaganza here.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Doodles fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 8, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dungeon Meshi already gives up Plus Sized Elf with giant Marcille in the OP.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Doodles posted:

Something I hadn't thought about until I heard it on a video the other day is that elf fans have been eating real good these past couple of years. Not just Frieren and Marcille, but we had "Otaku Elf" last Spring and "Welcome to Japan, Ms. Elf" has recently been announced. Then there's all of Cid's crew in "Eminence in Shadow." Now all we need is "Plus-Sized Elf" and "Elf no Futanari"...

...okay, maybe not that last one. Who can say. Either way, we're having an Eflstravaganza here.

freak pervert post

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

watched the first ep of a sign of affection - yuki is a hearing-impaired college student who meets itsuomi, a charming polyglot world traveler

i loving loved this. incredibly charming, knows when to be funny and make goofy faces and when to lean into the romance, the concept was cool without being overly cloying, the style was great. this is at the top of the things i'm most excited to keep watching this season now.

The manga was super good from the chunk of it that I read so I'm glad the adaptation rules.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 days!)

been awhile since i watched just a regular loveydovey anime, seems like there's a couple this season

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

It's so refreshing to have romance stories that are out of high school; I really loved Honey and Clover too. I took American Sign Language in school, obviously it's very different, but still fun to compare with this and A Silent Voice.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

symbolic posted:

freak pervert post
welcome to Doodles

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The new Precure series has been officially revealed:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=BPRbvtFnkYs

https://www.toei-anim.co.jp/tv/wonderful_precure/character/

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/ed5c64428392b186690788cea6897ca69f01309a

Komugi/Cure Wonderful is in fact a dog voiced by Maria Naganawa while the human girl Iroha Inuka is Cure Freindy and will be played by Atsumi Tanezaki

Edit: And here’s the other two:

https://twitter.com/livedoornews/status/1743769412396847150

Seems we’ve got a pet/owner dynamic going on in this series (Nyammy’s the cat on the table and Lillian’s the girl in the green dress)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 7, 2024

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Reiterating the love for A Sign of Affection. So SO pretty and the way they animate enunciating and sign language is very good. The music and the atmosphere is giving very Mushishi vibes for me; it makes my brain all relaxed and happy.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Pan Dulce posted:

Sasaki to Pi-chan was so weird. I don't know if I like it yet or not. Between the isekai bit, the psychic bit, and what appears to be a mysterious schoolgirl (who may be jealous and likes you), it's a lot to take in. I haven't read what it's based on. Does it get even more convoluted? In a fun way? Does it get uncomfortably weird with the girl?

Wish I knew. The english manga only goes up to volume 2, and I haven't delved into the 6 released LNs.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

using an umbrella for snow is something i only seen in anime or asian movies

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Come to Ottawa, umbrellas are very handy for the sleet that we get in winter.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Sign of Affection was pretty neat.
Reminds of an old jdrama I watched 20 years ago called Orange Days with a similar melodramatic setting and a hearing impaired character.

anime wise, hits the same notes as Honey & Clover for me.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

Come to Ottawa, umbrellas are very handy for the sleet that we get in winter.

Too windy in central Ontario for an umbrella, especially in winter.

Mashle S2 has a new OP and its not nearly as good. Good episode though, cant wait for more hijinks from that group of dummies.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

time for Solo Leveling.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Sign of Affection guy is weird lookin and wears a hackey sack stoner guy scarf imo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mons Hubris posted:

Sign of Affection guy is weird lookin and wears a hackey sack stoner guy scarf imo
yea thats the kind of guy college girls are into

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Furnaceface posted:

Too windy in central Ontario for an umbrella, especially in winter.

Mashle S2 has a new OP and its not nearly as good. Good episode though, cant wait for more hijinks from that group of dummies.

Had to go look at the S1 OP but I definitely don't see it. S2 is way more fun and stylish.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Checked out Sign of Affection thanks to the discussion and a +1 on really liking it. It has a nice relaxed pace to it, and feels like very down to earth even with the sight gags. Definitely going to continue watching.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

where were these college students when I was there, everyone looks like a model lol

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm not typically here for romance but I did really like Skip and Loafer's natural dynamic and ensemble. How is Sign of Affection in qualitative comparison?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Caphi posted:

I'm not typically here for romance but I did really like Skip and Loafer's natural dynamic and ensemble. How is Sign of Affection in qualitative comparison?

Not as good yet but it's only been one episode.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

i am interested in the other characters they haven't introduced yet, so that's a +

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fom6S9VjavQ

Metallic Rouge OP

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Getting Sonic 3 Hydrocity vibes off it. I like.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

alright i'm convinced more anime ops should sound like a bel biv devoe song

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

hell yeah new jack swing for anime ops

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

hell yeah new jack swing for anime ops

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

trying to think of others now besides the obvious excel saga

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Just checked out 7th Time Loop. I know, I know, another freaking isekai, but the art is interesting and I like that the heroine has lived out so many lives she just couldn't give a poo poo anymore and wants to live a relaxed life with the guy who killed her in her most recent past life, the king (soon to be Emperor).

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

first ep of mr villain's day off was a low-key slice of life comedy about the days off of a tokusatsu villain. got a couple of chuckles from the bits, seems fine but nothing amazing

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Doodles posted:

Something I hadn't thought about until I heard it on a video the other day is that elf fans have been eating real good these past couple of years. Not just Frieren and Marcille, but we had "Otaku Elf" last Spring and "Welcome to Japan, Ms. Elf" has recently been announced. Then there's all of Cid's crew in "Eminence in Shadow." Now all we need is "Plus-Sized Elf" and "Elf no Futanari"...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

This cursed post broke the seal....

https://x.com/SugoiLITE/status/1744066469804318988?s=20

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Frieren type elves are better

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

first ep of mr villain's day off was a low-key slice of life comedy about the days off of a tokusatsu villain. got a couple of chuckles from the bits, seems fine but nothing amazing

mr. villain's day off is about a hot guy doing mundane things. the toku part isn't that important.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Pan Dulce posted:

Just checked out 7th Time Loop. I know, I know, another freaking isekai, but the art is interesting and I like that the heroine has lived out so many lives she just couldn't give a poo poo anymore and wants to live a relaxed life with the guy who killed her in her most recent past life, the king (soon to be Emperor).

Does it really count as an isekai if they're not from a different world? Poor girl is just stuck in a groundhog day setup.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Returner genre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Nemo2342 posted:

Does it really count as an isekai if they're not from a different world? Poor girl is just stuck in a groundhog day setup.

That's true. By the strictest definition of the term, it isn't because she really is just reliving her life again and again. My mistake.