Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Have a nice day to relax and I decided on Slugs 1988 for my horror movie the weekend.

Very solid choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

huh just put it together that the Poughkeepsie Tapes director and his bro were the ones who did that WACO series with Michael Shannon

Dowdlin' it up across America

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I have finished the Arrow Bill Rebane set, except for the documentary, and while Demons of Ludlow was a clear hit and standout and the rest were of questionable quality, I really had a great time. Last one I watched was The Alpha Incident, and I gotta say even though it was definitely stretched too thin to be 90 minutes, it would've made for a killer Outer Limits or Twilight Zone episode. Lots of great stuff there. I might watch The Giant Spider Invasion on Tubi before settling in with the documentary.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

alf_pogs posted:

huh just put it together that the Poughkeepsie Tapes director and his bro were the ones who did that WACO series with Michael Shannon

Dowdlin' it up across America

They should stick to tense dramatizations about real life subject matter. Whatever producer pulled that dynamic and subject matter together saw something I suppose.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I have finished the Arrow Bill Rebane set, except for the documentary, and while Demons of Ludlow was a clear hit and standout and the rest were of questionable quality, I really had a great time. Last one I watched was The Alpha Incident, and I gotta say even though it was definitely stretched too thin to be 90 minutes, it would've made for a killer Outer Limits or Twilight Zone episode. Lots of great stuff there. I might watch The Giant Spider Invasion on Tubi before settling in with the documentary.

This why horror needs anthology shows. That rough length is perfect for a lot of horror stories that would otherwise get too shaggy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Poughkeepsie Tapes is satirizing that poo poo, where all the characters are breathlessly fascinated by the villain but he's just some jagoff loser who happens to randomly kill people. He's the greatest serial killer off all time and it's like... that's it?

Meanwhile, the diegetic documentations claim that America is collapsing as a nation due to a plague of uncaught serial killers. Like, "we're trying to raise awareness! Look at how bad they are!" It's a real smoke-the-whole-pack approach to True Crime garbage.

True Crime RISE OF LESLIE VERNON

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

i fuckin wish

Leslie needs to return fr

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

went in blind to the show ENTITLED this week, entirely because Brett Gelman was the star, and the first three episodes have been a weirdo semi-gothic horror comedy delight. mileage may vary and it might turn into a lovely puzzle box but so far so good

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Oo, I do love Brett Gelman.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Shrecknet posted:

Still looking for submissions for each of the states below:

Alabama
Delaware
Hawaii
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
New Mexico
South Carolina
Tennessee
Vermont
Wyoming

Also it is killing me that The Fog remake in 2005 is set in Oregon, making it the top Oregonian horror, while the unimaginably better original is set like 40 miles south in northern California, where it can't get the time of day among Scream, Psycho and Halloween

I know Eyes of Fire was shot in Missouri, not sure it's set there

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

All that matters is set

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

Oo, I do love Brett Gelman.

He's a great performer, though the last I saw of the guy he was posting a weird, sing-song Zionist video to twitter for some reason. Soured me on the guy.

I'll probably check this out though, because I am me, checker out of things.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
oh my god my brain never consciously realized the significance of the song I Got Five on It in Us (2019)

"let's go half on a sack"

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

VROOM VROOM posted:

oh my god my brain never consciously realized the significance of the song I Got Five on It in Us (2019)

"let's go half on a sack"

Peele doesn't miss, man.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

moths posted:

You couldn't just go on stage with "he's the most serial killer!" because the mystique of the brilliant human predators had been washed away - and what was left was chubby gross white dudes who are stupid, very lucky, and hateful.

The Long Island guy that just got nabbed recently is a good example. Dude left so much evidence in online trails, having a unique car and unusual appearance etc. that only massive corruption and incompetence by the local PD kept him from being caught a million years ago.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I finally watched M3gan last night and it was loving great!

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

8one6 posted:

Hell yeah. Such a fun movie. The trailers just looked like such fun that it was the first movie that brought me back into a movie theater to watch it, and I had a blast.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

8one6 posted:

:hellyeah: really fun, can't wait for the sequel

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

8one6 posted:

One of my favorites of 2023 :) Did you watch theatrical or unrated? There's not a ton of difference. IIRC the unrated version has a few more swears and the deaths are a little gorier.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The stuff that makes M3gan fun has really nothing to do with gory kills so the unrated added very little IMO.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The lullaby scene in M3gan is maybe the hardest a movie made me laugh all last year. It just keeps going and gets more ridiculous with every single passing second.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the toy test chamber being something out of a Cronenberg movie really added a lot

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Zwabu posted:

The stuff that makes M3gan fun has really nothing to do with gory kills so the unrated added very little IMO.

Yes but gore always makes things better

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I gave in and got the 4K steelbook before Best Buy runs out to replace the Blu-Ray I already bought. It was on my 50 favorite first-time watches list of last year and I think I've defended it enough in the thread, but more than anything it's pretty fun and refreshing to feel like there's a new horror icon with tons of sequel potential kicking around, and to have her start with such a fun and offbeat movie at that. It was just such an energetic and fun time.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

M3gan is the sassy murderous bitch America needs in these troubled times.

There is a lot of potential for very good sequels, but I fully expect disappointing garbage because that is the way things usually go, but I will still go see a sequel on the off chance.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

More than anything I just can't wait to see what Gerard Johnstone is directing next. He's two-for-two for fun, wild horror.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Rageaholic posted:

One of my favorites of 2023 :) Did you watch theatrical or unrated? There's not a ton of difference. IIRC the unrated version has a few more swears and the deaths are a little gorier.

Unrated. I'm guessing it was the original cut and the theatrical cut was just to get it under the pg-13 rating.

alf_pogs posted:

the toy test chamber being something out of a Cronenberg movie really added a lot

I was one hundred percent on the dickhead boss' side after the prototype loving exploded during the demo. What the gently caress was she building into a kids toy where an glitch would cause it to go off like a grenade?

8one6 fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 7, 2024

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

More than anything I just can't wait to see what Gerard Johnstone is directing next. He's two-for-two for fun, wild horror.

He did Housebound too, right? Loved that also, yeah, this guy is on my wavelength.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Zwabu posted:

He did Housebound too, right? Loved that also, yeah, this guy is on my wavelength.

Yep. Wan loved Housebound so much he wanted Gerard making M3GAN because he thought he could make it work. Correct

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

alf_pogs posted:

went in blind to the show ENTITLED this week, entirely because Brett Gelman was the star, and the first three episodes have been a weirdo semi-gothic horror comedy delight. mileage may vary and it might turn into a lovely puzzle box but so far so good

ep4 was a delightful tip of the cap to The Wicker Man. at this point Brett Gelman has had a blue tongue, wearing pajamas, drinking barley wine, and doing a hell of a lot of panicked screaming. good fun

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

M3gan didn’t get weird enough for me, personally, but I enjoyed it and it’s the kind of horror movie a teenage me would have become obsessed with. So yeah, it’s good.

Hoping M3gan 2.0 involves more robots or perhaps a twist where she disguises herself as a real kid for a while. Something a bit crazier.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

A Fancy Hat posted:

M3gan didn’t get weird enough for me, personally, but I enjoyed it and it’s the kind of horror movie a teenage me would have become obsessed with. So yeah, it’s good.

Hoping M3gan 2.0 involves more robots or perhaps a twist where she disguises herself as a real kid for a while. Something a bit crazier.

Yeah, agreed, I wanted it to go harder with the ridiculousness. Also everything is the aunt's fault in a very direct way and she learned absolutely nothing from it.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Gemma sentenced to prison, Cady sent to live with Jacksonville grandparents who turn out to be evil douchebags. M3gan, from her existence in the cloud, directs production of another doll body by the Funki factory for her to inhabit. The leaked data from the first movie is used by a competitor to produce knockoff M3gans and M3gan will have to defeat a number of these to rescue Cady.

You could have a few fun scenes with M3gan doing some naughty stuff from her existence as cloud AI before making her triumphant incarnated return. I think you have to go with the original look of the doll but I haven’t decided whether the original dress is necessary.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Bottoms is great.

Nikumatic posted:

Bottoms went to places I 1000% did not expect and I loved it.

Had to go back because I flagged Bottoms to watch after seeing these posts and finally watched it tonight. Definitely a movie I would have never even considered watching but I fuckin loved it. The final scene had me rolling.

Also between this and Murderville, Marshawn Lynch has a promising film career.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Won't dwell on it since it's obviously not horror but Bottoms was the best comedy I watched all year and in my year-end top ten. It felt perfectly tailored to me. The moment I realized the diner was called But I'm A Diner was the moment I knew I was watching cinematic perfection. Glad you enjoyed it! :)

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Zwabu posted:

Gemma sentenced to prison, Cady sent to live with Jacksonville grandparents who turn out to be evil douchebags. M3gan, from her existence in the cloud, directs production of another doll body by the Funki factory for her to inhabit. The leaked data from the first movie is used by a competitor to produce knockoff M3gans and M3gan will have to defeat a number of these to rescue Cady.

You could have a few fun scenes with M3gan doing some naughty stuff from her existence as cloud AI before making her triumphant incarnated return. I think you have to go with the original look of the doll but I haven’t decided whether the original dress is necessary.

Regarding the cloud AI stuff, I feel like that's a perfect excuse to do some typical haunted house stuff, in one of those cloud-enabled houses. Maybe to scare off social workers who come to try and rehome Cady.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Fran and Machete, I know MANGE (DuCournau's first feature) is on your watchlists; just FYI it's 100% free on YouTube with a fan caption that's really good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyW6nVHuo8A

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/bdisgusting/status/1744052792380018811?s=46
https://x.com/variety/status/1744143645081518481?s=46

dorium fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 8, 2024

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Is the Aliens Romulus trailer actually out? There's a fan made one fooling people and it's loving up all my feeds and searches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

moths posted:

Is the Aliens Romulus trailer actually out? There's a fan made one fooling people and it's loving up all my feeds and searches.

nah there's nothing yet, aside from industry goss that the Riddler is happy with Fede's work