Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCGkwsdVy84

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Barnesworth
Jun 28, 2008

I said GOOD DAY, sir!
there's always more fish in the sea!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
A new year brings the start of a new line on the Sea Surface Temperature graph, and this year looks like it's going to be a hot one:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
thats loving gnarly

i keep staring at it and looking back and forth... haha

how high will it go

lol

lmao

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
They are going to have the make the chart taller soon to fit in this year's warming.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Wake me up when they have to make this chart taller

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Salt Fish posted:

I can't wait to explain to someone how computer bugs got their name, but as part of it I have to explain what bugs were.

all the good bugs might die but also climate change will make bad bugs like mosquitoes flourish, so people will still know what bugs are.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Mosquitos aren't bugs!!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
they're pancrustaceans

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

:kstare:

Argentum
Feb 6, 2011
UGLY LIKE BOWEL CANCER

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

its gonna be funny as hell when ppl will have to make their own DIY hyperbaric oxygen chamber + canisters after the oxygen levels drop low enough in a few decades

Argentum has issued a correction as of 10:23 on Jan 7, 2024

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Dokapon Findom posted:

"Did you hear? All the whales died. I'm still gonna need that report, though"

This is my favourite issue of 2000AD, from The Psi Files:

https://www.2000ad.org/artwork/image.php?Image=leviathan.html&choice=WAKE

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
after today’s weather report of there still being a lack of snowfall despite it being January in Wisconsin, the lady news anchor signed off by saying “we are not going to make it through this next decade”

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Jizzny Princess posted:

At least with Meerkat Manor no species went extinct during the filming of its show.

Didn't MM have a decent run? Thousands of species probably went extinct during its filming

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

God, I remember this one when broadcast and thinking about all the animals we have literally no idea about because some rapacious eating machines in the form of explorers or local tribes just gobbled them all up like Maltesers.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

https://youtu.be/KSQ8N0EYmqU?si=8r1kHOLYloA7fJnR&t=113

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

God, I remember this one when broadcast and thinking about all the animals we have literally no idea about because some rapacious eating machines in the form of explorers or local tribes just gobbled them all up like Maltesers.

I hate Maltesers. Good riddance!

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Dokapon Findom posted:

I hate Maltesers. Good riddance!

They’re a keystone species of the biosphere. You’ll be eating your words (and not treats)!

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

OIL PANIC posted:

just glad i got to eat a lotta (edit: cheap!!!) snowcrab before... well, you know...
what else should be on my list? i saw dolphin and whale mentioned - anything else?

the swedish fermented herring industry is a few years from complete collapse. last few years have been a slew of articles saying they only got a fraction of the catch they wanted and are having to source the fish from elsewhere and conservation groups are advocating a complete stop of fishing in order to save it but the politicians are just going "there will be herring on the table" and the industry are bargaining about everything but a halt to fishing.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Hmm... never had herring but I'm sorry now that I didn't try it the one time I was in the Netherlands- my Jewish friend said it was the best herring he ever ate, and he ate it every day

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

I love how aspirations can just be policy and the detailed plan as well, and it will just happen as it’s manifest destiny that things will work out.

The idea that reality will castigate our shortsighted folly of a species is somehow inconceivable.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
listen up, doomers

Nine breakthroughs for climate and nature in 2023 you may have missed
In a tumultuous year, the positive milestones for the climate and nature might well have gone under your radar.

not so doomer now, are you? :smug:

let's see what the breakthroughs were

1. A huge boost for clean energy

One analysis by a team of energy and sustainability researchers estimates that by 2035, the IRA's acceleration of green energy has the potential to reduce emissions across the US economy by 43-48% compared with 2005 levels. Climate: saved

2. A turning point in power emissions

Energy from renewables like wind and solar grew faster than the world's power demand did, which means emissions from the sector were predicted to edge downwards for the first time. Climate: saved

3. Plastics manufacturers sued for pollution

Earlier in 2023, Danone, the company behind brands such as Evian, Activia and Volvic was taken to court by three environmental groups. Meanwhile, New York state is suing PepsiCo for plastic pollution that is contaminating the water and harming wildlife in Buffalo River. Nature: saved

4. America's biggest dam removal

Dams along Oregon and California's Klamath River have greatly reduced salmon populations. After decades of campaigning, the first dam was demolished in November 2023. Fish: saved

5. A treaty to protect the high seas

The High Seas Treaty provides a framework for setting up marine protected areas, a crucial step to fulfil aims to protect 30% of the world's oceans by 2030. Oceans: saved

6. The EU promises to become forest-friendly

importers of commodities such as soy, beef, palm oil, wood, cocoa, coffee and rubber "must be able to prove that the products do not come from recently deforested land or have contributed to forest degradation" Forests: saved

7. Deforestation of the Amazon slows

the rate of deforestation in the Amazon rainforest dropped sharply, after Brazil's new government pledged to stop deforestation completely by 2030 Rainforests: saved

8. Upholding indigenous rights in Brazil

The Xokleng people of the highlands of Santa Catarina state in southern Brazil had been evicted from their land, and the ruling restores their territory to them. Humans: saved

9. Climate cash for vulnerable countries

world leaders finally agreed to launch the long-awaited fund for loss and damage caused by climate change. A long-overdue $100bn (£80bn) annual pledge to countries hit by climate impacts was also met for the first time this year. Humans: saved

so there it is, doomers. where's your doom now?

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

coke posted:

also how is the northern shrimp industry doing?

:rip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOvjbMs1xPs

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Microplastics posted:

2. A turning point in power emissions

Energy from renewables like wind and solar grew faster than the world's power demand did, which means emissions from the sector were predicted to edge downwards for the first time. Climate: saved

edging my emissions :smug:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

wtf. my efforts to glue all the carbons back together didn't make the list

The Killing Jelq
Jun 13, 2012

Jizzny Princess posted:

Lol, brilliant. Fish a species that takes 6 years to reach sexual maturity and can live for up to 90 years old. What happened with the crabs definitely won't happen here!

I don't understand why this show is still around.

At least with Meerkat Manor no species went extinct during the filming of its show.

Re: above-replacement rate harvesting and obscene waste, here’s a retro-chic 90s report (returning like mustaches and high-waisted jeans) https://www.traffic.org/site/assets/files/9431/managing-risk-and-uncertainty-in-deep-sea-fisheries.pdf

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

The Killing Jelq posted:

Re: above-replacement rate harvesting and obscene waste, here’s a retro-chic 90s report (returning like mustaches and high-waisted jeans) https://www.traffic.org/site/assets/files/9431/managing-risk-and-uncertainty-in-deep-sea-fisheries.pdf

I remember eating orange roughy as a kid and was idly wondering why it wasn't in stores anymore.

My mom worked on a sustainable fishing initiative with no enforcement powers in 1994.

I never connected those two things in my head.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

ahaahahhahahaha

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

Automata 10 Pack posted:

after today’s weather report of there still being a lack of snowfall despite it being January in Wisconsin, the lady news anchor signed off by saying “we are not going to make it through this next decade”

Welcome to the Great Filter

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Post the clip.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Salt Fish posted:

Is there run away global warming or do we need snow plows? Make up your mind!!!!

yes and yes, I just burned up gasoline to snowblow an amount of snow which made my driveway impassable but so far has not opened up the woods for skiing

I am expecting to maybe go bounce of ice and rocks in the woods on skis tomorrow, we'll see

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

hamas ftw posted:

by the start of 2025: +3.0 C over baseline
by 2030: +8.0 C over baseline
by 2040: +18.0 C over baseline
by 2050: +28.0 C over baseline
by 2100: +78.0 C over baseline

hell yeah brother that's the poo poo :cheers:

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Automata 10 Pack posted:

She was just talking about the death of local news, it's fine

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

I come across this one a lot too, and to be honest I haven't figured out an effective rebuttal. Maybe there isn't one, since it's fundamentally a faith-based argument. Can't just try to respond with "but what if we can't solve it?" because that's like asking a religious person "but what if God doesn't actually exist?"

"did we solve covid or just ignore it"

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

FirstnameLastname posted:

air with bespoke genetically tailored additives that are addictive

*nodding* cigarettes back baby awooga

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

"did we solve covid or just ignore it"

*looks at life expectancy in the US*
i'm thinking applebees

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Microplastics posted:

One analysis by a team of energy and sustainability researchers estimates that by 2035, the IRA's acceleration of green energy has the potential to reduce emissions across the US economy by 43-48% compared with 2005 levels. Climate: saved

this one is funny because the 43-48% figure includes all the non-IRA changes too, including before the IRA was even passed.

we were at ~20% before IRA even passed, the reference case without IRA would get us to ~33%, so really IRA gives a 10-15% emissions reduction under their models.

but it gets reported as 43-48%.

also note how IRA (and everything else) still fails to meet the USA 2030 goal by 10% but is considered the climate is saved

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Puppy Burner posted:

*looks at life expectancy in the US*
i'm thinking applebees

I was actually at Applebees on Friday

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Just think we're only a century away from all food coming precooked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

but I need oxygen