Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you call the disposable plastic bags with the clip at the top?
Zip Lock Bags
Glad Bags
View Results

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Catalina Park is still there but is slowly being reclaimed by nature. It was handed back to the traditional owners years ago and they have left it be because they where kicked out of their homes to make the raceway happen in the first place. Do remember track days happening on occasions in the early 2000's. Very old school track though with not a single runoff area anywhere on the track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

Catalina Park is still there but is slowly being reclaimed by nature. It was handed back to the traditional owners years ago and they have left it be because they where kicked out of their homes to make the raceway happen in the first place. Do remember track days happening on occasions in the early 2000's. Very old school track though with not a single runoff area anywhere on the track.

nothing more australiana than that

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

Small correction, the raceway was after the original Catalina Park that the traditional owners were kicked out from. It went broke and then the track came about.

The track was spectacularly dangerous and one track day I ran had 5 cars totalled, the worst I saw was 10 cars out of 30 go home either trashed or some sort of wall damage - those sleeper fences were very uyeilding. The exit to the main straight claimed the rear quarter of my RX2 when my then wife spun

Still a surprising amount of the track is still there when I rode around it a month ago

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Do people still do blockies or has the art died out?

quote:

Tasmanians and Victorians are more likely to drive a blockie, while Queenslanders are more likely to do a lappy. In Western Australia a blockie is known as a bog lap.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Do people still do blockies or has the art died out?

When I was growing up in Ballarat it was called doin laps. Mostly of Sturt st.
I think they still happen but numbers are down

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

My Olds used to take us in to Ipswich on a Friday night to get pizza and then we'd sit and watch the bogans do laps. I'd like to think that still happens.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

One can only hope. As a young ocker there was nothing better than cutting some sick laps and I'd hate to see that die out.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Airstream Driver posted:

My Olds used to take us in to Ipswich

Absolute maniacs

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Do people still call crashes 'prangs'? Can I still encourage people to 'fang it'?

Ms Manners returns all my letters.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Unfortunately we can't say "bingle" anymore for a crash because of some lovely corporate stuff

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Chrpno posted:

Unfortunately we can't say "bingle" anymore for a crash because of some lovely corporate stuff

lara?

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
Literally the only thing I know about Lara Bingle is that some network tried to make a reality show about her life, but me and almost everyone else went "who the gently caress is Lara Bingle?" so it was never recommissioned.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
She flushed Michael Clarke's $200,000 engagement ring down the toilet so she's okay in my book

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Do people still bury beer at Mt Panorama to get around the oppressive 1 carton per day limit at the Bathurst 1000?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f34jdSxTUJ8

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
why did it take her a minute and a half to actually make fairy bread

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
By YouTube standards that's to the point

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Dipping bread into a bowl of sprinkles? The USA deserves every single mass shooting they get and more.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Delicious, god-fearing brights or the crunchy multicoloured dandruff of Satan called 100s and 1000's? Which do you use for fairy bread?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Non Compos Mentis posted:

why did it take her a minute and a half to actually make fairy bread

Serious answer: YouTube’s most important metric is watch time, so people intentionally pad their videos out with rubbish.

Same reason that any recipe blog post is paragraphs of bullshit before the actual recipe - because Google’s algorithm thinks the most informative/useful pages are 1000+ words. So you make pointlessly long-winded content. Ain’t technology great!

010724_3
Jan 7, 2024
Australiana

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH-6zuJqpyQ

010724_4
Jan 7, 2024
3 hours, 45 minutes and counting

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Reported for Stolen Valour.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

010724_3 posted:

Australiana

I'll go if din goes

I'm waiting till Gum leaves

etc etc

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
"So whaddya do for a crust?"

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Twas the 49th anniversary of Cyclone Tracy on Christmas Day. I was planning on posting but ended up doing other stuff.

Some new photos turned up on the FB group, though.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
the 180b, like the daddo 1600 were really fun, chuckable and cheap
Then they all dissolved like fairy floss and I cant remember the last time i saw one.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

I've probably mentioned this before, but the very first time I went to Darwin, about 10 years ago, we stayed in this interestingly shaped hotel on the esplanade:

I freaked out seeing the plaque inside, it said officially opened 1966! At least something survived Tracy.

(And yes, the fire alarm did go off at midnight and we all had to go out on the street, because it's Darwin)

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Twas the 49th anniversary of Cyclone Tracy on Christmas Day. I was planning on posting but ended up doing other stuff.

pics

amazing that emus did all that damage

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Some new photos turned up on the FB group, though.

How come it’s been 49 years and they still haven’t cleared the rubble?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Noni_Fybi9c

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Small correction, the raceway was after the original Catalina Park that the traditional owners were kicked out from. It went broke and then the track came about.

The track was spectacularly dangerous and one track day I ran had 5 cars totalled, the worst I saw was 10 cars out of 30 go home either trashed or some sort of wall damage - those sleeper fences were very uyeilding. The exit to the main straight claimed the rear quarter of my RX2 when my then wife spun

Still a surprising amount of the track is still there when I rode around it a month ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1962_Australian_Grand_Prix Caversham still exists (not as a functional track but its there) appropriately right next to a suburb called Brabham

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Carlos Lantana posted:

the 180b, like the daddo 1600 were really fun, chuckable and cheap
Then they all dissolved like fairy floss and I cant remember the last time i saw one.

My ex had a Datsun 1600 that she got as her first car back in the mid 90's. She was gifted it by her granddad who had bought it new. She sold it a few years back, so hopefully it's either with a collector or getting hot rodded somewhere. It was a pretty sweet car.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Mum and dad both had a range of different Datsuns in the late 70/80’s which all had the boot rot out of. The 1200 dad owned may have had a wood stove placed in the boot before it fell out.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

My mum had a 120Y when we were kids, and the passenger footwell rusted through and it leaked, and mushrooms started coming up out of the carpet.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Hell yeah, Datto Talk

also, how many people knew someone with one that named it Cameron?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Did they call them Datsun instead of Nissan because of the war or something?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

gay picnic defence posted:

How come it’s been 49 years and they still haven’t cleared the rubble?

Everyone still on the piss mourning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
hey you cunts whats a good brand of chicken salt to acquire