Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
My mounting stuff wasn't actually stable and I ended up smashing my new monitor :(

If any of you work at d*l* it came like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Lol hope it works out. Few years back we were delivering a couple dozen all-in-ones for a new computer lab, and my tech noticed the new vehicle we were driving had an automatic hatch open button. He pushed it, and one of the computers slipped out and busted terribly on parking lot concrete. Sorry not sorry Dell, thanks for believing it was shipping damage!

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

As a field service tech for d**l my personal policy is I didn't see poo poo when it comes to customer damage unless it's something they might try to pin on me. I'd rather just do the repair and get out and paid than deal with pissing off the onsite client and having to deal with tech support again.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

finally started on my homelab journey by building a PC with spare parts I had in the closet and shoved ubuntu desktop on it. i had more fun working on it at 2am than i have at my job, ever.

if anyone has any good first projects please lmk here or via pm

Organic Lube User posted:

As a field service tech for d**l my personal policy is I didn't see poo poo when it comes to customer damage unless it's something they might try to pin on me. I'd rather just do the repair and get out and paid than deal with pissing off the onsite client and having to deal with tech support again.

glad to know, current plan is to just blame shipping and hope they don't ask followup questions

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

tokin opposition posted:

Set up pihole in a docker container

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
install whisper in a docker with a local endpoint

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

tokin opposition posted:

Install Azure arc and kubernetes and extend the cloud to your house :science:

Edit: my first kubernetes cluster was 3 VMs on my home machine, highly recommend if you want to go down that path

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I use mine for sonarr, radarr, mylarr, transmission, and Plex. All in Docker.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

tokin opposition posted:

finally started on my homelab journey by building a PC with spare parts I had in the closet and shoved ubuntu desktop on it. i had more fun working on it at 2am than i have at my job, ever.

glad to know, current plan is to just blame shipping and hope they don't ask followup questions

Everyone first installs 3 dozen productivity apps and then only ever uses piracy tools.

So yeah, some applications to find files, and other applications to make them available to you on any display or device you want to see them on. Plex is starting to enshittify faster so if you're starting completely fresh I'd actually recommend Jellyfin.

What's your storage situation?

Edit: if you want an example of the one non-piracy related tool that I actually use on mine, https://thelounge.chat/ is a nice IRC client.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Sepist posted:

Install Azure arc and kubernetes and extend the cloud to your house :science:

Edit: my first kubernetes cluster was 3 VMs on my home machine, highly recommend if you want to go down that path

Kubernetes-the-Hard-Way inside of Proxmox is good project and initial homelab setup. I used to run a bunch of C2 crap in proxmox and the initial setup was always a pain but having all the C2 / forensic / shenanigans environments with it's own networking etc etc all inside one box was nice.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

tokin opposition posted:

That’s awesome, Ubuntu and Debian are my favorite home lab/server OSes.

I like to peruse the Awesome Selfhosted repo every so often for ideas of things to deploy. You could start with a Samba server, NextCloud, etc. Something that’s immediately useful to you is a good pick IMO because then you’re tempted to keep it and find ways to run it better.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

IUG posted:

I use mine for sonarr, radarr, mylarr, transmission, and Plex. All in Docker.

I use jellyfin but same

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

tokin opposition posted:

Switch it to esxi or proxmox and re-build it as VMs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I did mine with coreos on a 7 year old NUC and a few raspberry pi's I had bouncing around in a drawer. End result is I realized I need a proper home router to properly get traffic to it, which is a task on the list I just haven't put the effort in yet.

But getting kubernetes up from scratch is something every IT person should do, it's definitely been valuable education for me.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

For the home router, use a device or VM with pfsense or OPNSense on it

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

CloFan posted:

For the home router, use a device or VM with pfsense or OPNSense on it

Why that over one of the new ARM-based powerful Mikrotik routers?

Cost is similar to the boxes people are recommending for x86 routers, the Mikrotik has a good switch chip and will be more power efficient. https://www.balticnetworks.com/products/mikrotik-7x-gigabit-ethernet-1x-2-5gigabit-ethernet-1x-10g-sfp-router?_pos=4&_sid=79ac5ceab&_ss=r

If you have a real need for speed Mikrotik also sells a 25 gbps qsfp router for under $199 also.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, software isn't my concern. Hardware is what I gotta dig into buying. Definitely going to be an SBC of some kind, I just haven't done the homework yet. But there's a ton of boards these days with a gaggle of ethernet ports on them.

Mikrotik's routeros is "fine," it does the job, but the command interface is kinda painful. And the gui is worse. I do like their hardware though, I ran one as a home router for the better part of ten years but it gave out on me and I never replaced it because :effort:

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green

Hotel Kpro posted:

Do you have admin credentials? You could it with one line in powershell

Nah not yet, I have a VM that has a bunch of unusual access but the scope is limited very heavily because it's primarily the main corp domain.

How my workplace has stuff organized, when I get admin access I'll get access to a jump server that can see all of our main domains.

Since the security breach there's now a big 5 year project to bring all of our domains together into one. There's a lot of them that have been rolled together.

One weird related issue I keep running into is we have a domain that has some grandfathered in policies so passwords take longer to propagate across it and also sometimes they just fail to do so, so in order to do that we have to manually force the passwords to sync or issue a new one from our jumpserver to make them sync.

I've been wondering if there's another way I can make the passwords sync but I don't think forcing a gpupdate will work because I think passwords are part of the AD profile stock and not the policy. I'm learning a lot of this stuff as I go so trying to understand the nuances of system administration is coming slowly.

I should probably take a bit to actually read up on AD stuff again. I remember so little.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Passwords are supposed to sync together with the AD user account objects, yes. Password changes usually also take a kind of "fast path" for replication across domain controllers and sites, unlike other attribute changes which might be on a slower, bulk replication cycle.

What happens if a user has changed their password, it has not been synced properly, and you then make a different but unrelated change to the user object, like adding a note to the object? Does that change then sync across properly, and does it bring the password along too?
When a user object has not had a password change replicated, try checking the USN (update sequence number) of the object between directly querying a domain controller that has the updated password, and directly querying one that does not.

You may already have read this, but just in case: Troubleshooting Active Directory Replication Problems

It is also possible to hook into AD and have password changes synchronize to external serviced, e.g. how the Entra Sync service works. With the Microsoft Identity Manager which Entra Sync is based on, you can also build your own password sync flows, both in and out of a domain controller, and third party products should be able to do the same too.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

AD by default also thinks everyone is still using serial links to connect sites. Make sure you have your sites and links configured properly, and you can also set certain links to use notifications if you are happy that you are unlikely to replicate a huge problem instantly across sites.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Twerk from Home posted:

Everyone first installs 3 dozen productivity apps and then only ever uses piracy tools.

So yeah, some applications to find files, and other applications to make them available to you on any display or device you want to see them on. Plex is starting to enshittify faster so if you're starting completely fresh I'd actually recommend Jellyfin.

What's your storage situation?

Edit: if you want an example of the one non-piracy related tool that I actually use on mine, https://thelounge.chat/ is a nice IRC client.

Definitely don't intend to break the mold on that, but currently it's a creeky old USB 3.0 external drive that's only 700gb since I haven't bought anything. I'm thinking of just picking up some cheap nas drives and throwing them on, I should have 4 sata ports left over.

LochNessMonster posted:

Set up pihole in a docker container

Definitely on my to-do

ilkhan posted:

Switch it to esxi or proxmox and re-build it as VMs.

I was thinking of using KVM with Ubuntu server to get started on some VM fuckery, is that a better way to start out? Keep in mind I've done enough VMs just on my desktop to be relatively comfortable with the basics.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

ziasquinn posted:

install whisper in a docker with a local endpoint

Wot can I do with that? Looks like it's speech recognition.

e: Looking at the openai documentation it looks like a great tool for DIY anime subs

tokin opposition fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 7, 2024

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

tokin opposition posted:

Wot can I do with that? Looks like it's speech recognition.

e: Looking at the openai documentation it looks like a great tool for DIY anime subs

Try kodekloud fake company to work for. It’ll give you tasks to complete

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A project that someone woefully underqualified to run did the planning for, with technical input from people who don't know what they are doing, is predictably failing. Meanwhile I'm having a nice relaxing morning doing nothing. It's the only way this place will learn.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Sitting at an airport at 5am to fly out to Alabama for work. Yay…

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Thanks Ants posted:

A project that someone woefully underqualified to run did the planning for, with technical input from people who don't know what they are doing, is predictably failing. Meanwhile I'm having a nice relaxing morning doing nothing. It's the only way this place will learn.

Not giving a gently caress and letting poo poo burn down is one of the most underrated skills in IT.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Sometimes things need to fail before it can get better.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

GreenNight posted:

Sitting at an airport at 5am to fly out to Alabama for work. Yay…

If you’re near Huntsville you could check out the space museum

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

GreenNight posted:

More often though, people are stubborn little know it alls who don’t want to take advice from others. These people keep repeating the same dumbass mistakes and blame anything but themselves and keep failing until they learn, retire or move up/out (and continue failing there).

Orgs that don’t weed out people who never seem to learn from their mistakes end up to be the shitholes where ylu’re constantly putting out fires instead of improving things.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

LochNessMonster posted:

Orgs that don’t weed out people who never seem to learn from their mistakes end up to be the shitholes where ylu’re constantly putting out fires instead of improving things.

If you find an org that isn’t like this, hit me up

In my experience you’re more likely to find Atlantis while working from a landlocked state

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Hey Microsoft.

Cum82534 is not an appropriate temporary password to generate.

Thanks.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Cyks posted:

Hey Microsoft.

Cum82534 is not an appropriate temporary password to generate.

Thanks.

Cum is temporary, just like that password.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We had a license key generated that had oval office in the string

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green
at my old job the day we generated a ticket string that had "B00BUTT" in it was some hype poo poo that had multiple techs celebrating.

That's probably how you could tell our job was some dire garbage.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I put in MR !404 and it sat waiting for a year before being approved. Lead dev said he couldn't find it.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

GreenNight posted:

Sometimes things just keep failing and that's ok because it means we get to talk poo poo about upper management (it is almost always their fault)

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Coming back to my windows laptop loving up constantly after the beauty of Linux is like waking from a beautiful dream to find myself shackled to a boiling hot radiator filled with piss

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
No see it's ok if you spend a couple of weeks cleaning out the bloatware, you get something usable (I said usable, not good)

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Reminds me of a job years ago where new users entered into our HR system kicked off some automation for user account creation. Which is why we had to step in when Samantha Lutz got the username slutz@company.co.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

firstname.lastname@email.com, it's the only way