Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

4th play through and got the ring of protection for the first time.

Is the trick to get Minth later you have to knock her out before you do the other chiefs and then wipe out the rest of the gobbos before leaving or resting? Last run I tried to knock her out last and even though I never got war drummed she was already hostile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I was going to say that she puts her red flags out early unlike the one who wants you to beat her up to prove you're worthy but let's be honest, Lae'zel is a bunch of red flags too. Meanwhile Karlach hides her low self-esteem that makes her put up with all kinds of poo poo from you, but also she's the first one that approaches me every game because she isn't an rear end in a top hat like Shadowheart, Lae'zel, or Astarion, and I never end up bringing Wyll or gale at low levels because Wyll doesn't do enough and Gale gets focused down in a round or two.

I like the sassy vampire twink but he disapproves of me being nice and I'm too much of a wimp to do an evil playthrough even in a game.

Is there good dialog I should avoid missing with Orin? I keep switching over to another character and attacking her because stop monologuing and fight me already.

for what it’s worth, you can easily max out your approval with Astarion on a good play through, in spite of him disapproving of some of the stuff you do, especially if you’re romancing him. Much like Lae’zel and Shadowheart, he isn’t the evil guy he appears to be at first glance and the whole thing with him is that with your love or friendship he can start to heal from the trauma he suffered and set back on the path to being a better person.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

bird with big dick posted:

4th play through and got the ring of protection for the first time.

Is the trick to get Minth later you have to knock her out before you do the other chiefs and then wipe out the rest of the gobbos before leaving or resting? Last run I tried to knock her out last and even though I never got war drummed she was already hostile.

She has to be temporarily hostile, so you can't fight her last or betray her at the grove raid

As I understand it you also cannot longrest between knocking her out and triggering the party at the camp.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Lima posted:

As I understand it you also cannot longrest between knocking her out and triggering the party at the camp.

Goddamnit

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

tarbrush posted:

Goddamnit

I long rested a bunch in between and then romanced minthara in act2, it's fine.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Playing split screen with my partner. It's really clunky compared to mkb and she is struggling with all the rules and poo poo but she made a super hot drow draconic sorceress and I made a muscly tiefling bard that looks like prince.

Combat is kind of hard since you don't have good vision and I'd been playing on ultrawide so it's tough to get your head around the battlefield, I imagine this is compounded for her having not seen them before. We're having a heap of fun though, just reached the grove. I think I'll do the goon thing and optimise the poo poo out of our wheels and make it more user friendly if I can.

She hates everyone we've met and while talking to Shadowheart in camp said "what's this [Australian word]'s problem". She still won't be rude back except with Gale because he slighted her sorcery.

roomtone posted:

shadowheart just wins by default by being an attractive human woman apparently in her 20's. that is the ideal type for most people playing this game.

Worse. She's a half elf. The most manic of pixie dream girls.

JBP fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jan 7, 2024

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Depressive pixie nightmare girl

e: Shart was unhealthily obsessed with The Nightmare Before Christmas for a while. Shart has a Jack Skellington tattoo. Shart can sing every part of every TNBC song by heart but she really puts her feelings into the Sally ones

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Shadowheart underwear is about what I expect from the internet, I’d be somewhat shocked if the BG3 meme videos did NOT have the entire cast walking around in their lingerie all the time.

I had her naked literally at all times (once I realized you could do that about halfway through my playthrough), and she never once complained, or even remarked on it. :lofty: It also had the added benefit of making many of the cutscenes hilarious

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

I fell for Karlach when she gave her "gently caress Zariel" speech and got an anime aura to burn down the inn. This may have been influenced by being near the end of an awesome Descent Into Avernus campaign (The Alexandrian remix, remixed further).

Angry Diplomat posted:

Shart can sing every part of every TNBC song by heart but she really puts her feelings into the Sally ones

Is that not normal?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Tonetta posted:

like 80% of the characters in the game are white & that's including the actual races that could never be white, I don't get this comment. it's a game about choice, and if you choose to be a poly gay slut, that's up to you. the straights can just be straight, except for the one time they accidentally let gale show them the lights, and the snowflakes amongst those can then go angrily post about sjw crap ruining their vidyas (and not corporate culture)

That's how I see it as well. Unlike some other recent entertainment products, this game is actually not that politically charged at all, including most of the subtext. Even in a shallow 'representation' sense, most of the major characters, including most of the popular love interests, are white. That makes it harder for the usual suspects to concern troll, and they have to show their true colors. Some of the NPCs being presented as openly gay without comment is not 'political', it's just you being a closeted (or open) bigot who needs to get with the times if you have a problem with that.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Gale is the only white companion but go off.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Tonetta posted:

just to be clear here I couldn't care less about how people choose to play their game. if they have one of the cringe mods I might make fun of them for it, butit's a single player experience, I don't give a poo poo. you could make a mod where you get to suck the dick of every npc in the lower city and I wouldn't care

like 80% of the characters in the game are white & that's including the actual races that could never be white, I don't get this comment. it's a game about choice, and if you choose to be a poly gay slut, that's up to you. the straights can just be straight, except for the one time they accidentally let gale show them the lights, and the snowflakes amongst those can then go angrily post about sjw crap ruining their vidyas (and not corporate culture)

I just meant that if seeing a black wizard or a gay elf even as a NPC is a catastrophically bad dealbreaker for your suspension of disbelief (like these modders claim it is) then I kinda doubt you (the modders) are earnest fans of the game to begin with. Why am I getting hit with strays all of a sudden?

mycot fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 7, 2024

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

roomtone posted:

shadowheart just wins by default by being an attractive human woman apparently in her 20's. that is the ideal type for most people playing this game.

Half-elf. I suppose the finer details are lost on a creature such as you.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Gale is the only white companion but go off.

Shadowheart is one of the whitest people imaginable. Astarion I guess could just be really pale due to being a vampire?

Wait a minute, did I just get tricked into debating the 'race' of fictional video game half-elves

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I like it when Shadowheart calls me a donkey for not giving the correct answer to Gale's magic answering machine about what seam I need to unravel to make said magic answering machine go away only because she didn't mention I was supposed to lend a hand instead of take one.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

It's honestly ridiculous that companions all have unique responses for things as specific as failing Gale's true resurrection scroll instructions, and that these are some of the funniest lines in the game.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Also Lae'Zel approves of taking a hand instead of lending one and also ratting out Astarion to the monster hunter outside the hag's house

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
When multiclassing, it doesn't matter what order you take the different class levels in does it? Just all the Eldritch Blast videos seem to say play to lvl 6 as Warlock, then respec and take Sorcerer levels then Warlock.

When I get more original with my builds, can I make something effective combining classes that use different stats? I'd like to play someone with heavy armour and Eldritch Blasts for my Dark Urge monster playthrough, stealing the demon captain's sword in the intro, so a split between strength and charisma I believe. Or is that a big handycap?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

It's honestly ridiculous that companions all have unique responses for things as specific as failing Gale's true resurrection scroll instructions, and that these are some of the funniest lines in the game.

Agreed. I think a video was posted earlier, showing that every character has several unique lines for Vicious Mockery, on the off chance that you had respecced Minthara as a bard.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

BizarroAzrael posted:

When multiclassing, it doesn't matter what order you take the different class levels in does it? Just all the Eldritch Blast videos seem to say play to lvl 6 as Warlock, then respec and take Sorcerer levels then Warlock.

When I get more original with my builds, can I make something effective combining classes that use different stats? I'd like to play someone with heavy armour and Eldritch Blasts for my Dark Urge monster playthrough, stealing the demon captain's sword in the intro, so a split between strength and charisma I believe. Or is that a big handycap?

You'll never be quite as good just because you can't have two stats as high as a single one so you will miss more. Heavy Armor Warlocks typically do something like Paladin/Warlock where you can get the ability to tie your weapon swings to Charisma with pact of the blade and use your Charisma for useful Pally stuff.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Phlegmish posted:

Agreed. I think a video was posted earlier, showing that every character has several unique lines for Vicious Mockery, on the off chance that you had respecced Minthara as a bard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhA1NwgnFN8&t=4110s

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Order does not matter. There is currently a display bug where saving throws will show the save DC as being from the last class you specced into, but if you look at the combat log, it will show the appropriate save as coming from whatever class you’re using that ability from. If you’re looking to do some kind of 2H warlock gimmick then I’d recommend keeping your stats as normal and just abusing Hill Giant potions in the early game to keep your STR above 20. Auntie Ethel sells 3 every day and you can buy enough to keep yourself topped off all the time. Fighter is more about getting the weapon proficiencies although pretty much anyone can benefit from Action Surge.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Killing Halsin via Astarion using Vicious Mockery by saying "Like a summer's day, thou art sweaty." after using the full concentrated power of the sun to drop a building on him.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

socialsecurity posted:

You'll never be quite as good just because you can't have two stats as high as a single one so you will miss more. Heavy Armor Warlocks typically do something like Paladin/Warlock where you can get the ability to tie your weapon swings to Charisma with pact of the blade and use your Charisma for useful Pally stuff.

Ah excellent, I was thinking Paladin anyway, but that's an excellent pointer, thanks!

EorayMel posted:

Killing Halsin via Astarion using Vicious Mockery by saying "Like a summer's day, thou art sweaty." after using the full concentrated power of the sun to drop a building on him.

Sidepoint, obviously the attention to detail in this game is incredible but how is Astarion, who seems to have basically seduced people as his job, only Charisma 10?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

BizarroAzrael posted:

Ah excellent, I was thinking Paladin anyway, but that's an excellent pointer, thanks!

Sidepoint, obviously the attention to detail in this game is incredible but how is Astarion, who seems to have basically seduced people as his job, only Charisma 10?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

You can definitely get high approval from all companions except maybe Minthara on a good play through, mainly by taking a more neutral stance in dialog or just not having them in the party if you are about to do something you know would piss them off. Astarion is out for Number 1 and dislikes what he perceives as performatively do-gooder proclamations, but he won't have a problem with going along with you to actually do most of those things anyway. Lae'zel disapproves of doing things that she thinks are coddling the weak or demeaning to her or yourself.

And most of the time the approval hits are just a -1 or -2, so the occasional good guy bit to get a quest or work on another party member's approval isn't the end of the world. The options that have really big approval hits are usually telegraphed and obvious (like outing Astarion to Gandrel), so just don't pick those.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

JBP posted:

Shadowheart is the bird you walk away from at a party immediately once you have a small amount of life experience.

I found this very confusing until I remembered that British people exist.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Professor Beetus posted:

I found this very confusing until I remembered that British people exist.

My condolences

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Phlegmish posted:

That's how I see it as well. Unlike some other recent entertainment products, this game is actually not that politically charged at all, including most of the subtext. Even in a shallow 'representation' sense, most of the major characters, including most of the popular love interests, are white. That makes it harder for the usual suspects to concern troll, and they have to show their true colors. Some of the NPCs being presented as openly gay without comment is not 'political', it's just you being a closeted (or open) bigot who needs to get with the times if you have a problem with that.

I was kind of struck by how this game has a trans character in it, but you have to dig through journals and make some specific convo choices to deduce it. Meanwhile Cyberpunk 77 has a trans character with a big rear end pride flag on their track that turns directly to the camera and says "I HAD GENDER REASSIGNMENT SURGERY"

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

BizarroAzrael posted:

I had a character once with 10 charisma that I decided was gorgeous but just the worst as soon as he opened his mouth.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Professor Beetus posted:

I was kind of struck by how this game has a trans character in it, but you have to dig through journals and make some specific convo choices to deduce it. Meanwhile Cyberpunk 77 has a trans character with a big rear end pride flag on their track that turns directly to the camera and says "I HAD GENDER REASSIGNMENT SURGERY"

People had a crybaby bitch fit about that character on both sides for basically no reason lmao. Claire was a great character. Is she perfect? No. But she was a serious character within that world and had way more than 2 lines of dialogue. I would have considered making their entire personality around their "transness" a Massive fail.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Geekboy posted:

I had a character once with 10 charisma that I decided was gorgeous but just the worst as soon as he opened his mouth.

No, that's my dream guardian

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

bird with big dick posted:

Every time I click on him he shouts "The Blade of the Frontier!" or whatever, he's an obnoxious narcissist.

After playing with him more, I actually like that he’s an obnoxious narcissist because both his life preceding the plot and the actual plot make him pay for it over and over again, and you can call him out on it repeatedly, and he owns up to it but continues to do it because he’s broken like everyone else.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I think the game does a really great job on diversity and not making a big blinking thing of it save one element. There's really no disabled characters I'm aware of. Though imho this is also the group most often disregarded more generally so I'm not surprised. Still kinda disappointing.

But what they have done is really well considered and written the way it should be, which is to say attributes inform But don't define their owners.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Tonetta posted:

People had a crybaby bitch fit about that character on both sides for basically no reason lmao. Claire was a great character. Is she perfect? No. But she was a serious character within that world and had way more than 2 lines of dialogue. I would have considered making their entire personality around their "transness" a Massive fail.

To be clear I liked both characters and thought they were both good examples of trans representation. I just thought the contrast was kinda funny.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Geekboy posted:

Charisma is force of personality, a low charisma doesn't have to mean repugnance, it can also mean being meek, low energy, wishy-washy, or submissive

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Also attribute blocks are stupid. Sometimes you gotta accept that a concession to mechanics is being made. For all the howling about the non optimal distributions, they're at least logical for the classes if not perfectly min maxed.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 7, 2024

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Mr. Lobe posted:

Charisma is force of personality, a low charisma doesn't have to mean repugnance, it can also mean being meek, low energy, wishy-washy, or submissive

Then why is Lae'zels so low. She is very much a dom

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Yeah I think you can easily see Astarion's low starting Charisma as a consequence of the fact that while he's a charmer and seducer he's also been doing so in service to his abuser who has been keeping him under his thumb for most of Astarion's FAIRLY long life. It's the same reason why he makes so much fuss about being a performative do-gooder: He's only just gotten his life back (albeit with, y'know, massive caveats) and you want to spend it helping every Tom, Dick and Harry along the way with their problems - most of which put you in something resembling active danger. He's not exactly a fan of throwing his life away right after he got it back.

unattended spaghetti posted:

Also attribute blocks are stupid. Sometimes you gotta accept that a concession to mechanics is being made. For all the howling about the non optimal distributions for the mechanics, they're at least logical for the classes if not perfectly min maxed.

Also this, trying to match things up to attribute blocks 1:1 is the way to madness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Pellisworth posted:

Then why is Lae'zels so low. She is very much a dom

Lae'zel isn't a dom, she's a performative fresh-out-of-basic grunt who is tryharding to the point of excess.