Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Lol yes "just get an APEC card". My bosses have since gotten theirs but it's not an option for normal people who travel infrequently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Cynic Jester posted:

I have arrived in Thailand and life is good

I just got back from 3 weeks in Thailand, had a great time but was ready to be done by the end of it. I assume most people ITT who are going there are not spending a bunch of time with their in-laws, nor dragging a toddler along. It really changes up the experience!

Someday I will learn enough Thai to hold a simple conversation with my wife's parents, but today was not that day.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

C-Euro posted:

I just got back from 3 weeks in Thailand, had a great time but was ready to be done by the end of it. I assume most people ITT who are going there are not spending a bunch of time with their in-laws, nor dragging a toddler along. It really changes up the experience!

Someday I will learn enough Thai to hold a simple conversation with my wife's parents, but today was not that day.

I mean, I live here, so everything I do involves dragging my kid places. I still wouldn't want to live anywhere else except for Taipei. Seriously though: learn to speak to your in-laws. It buys you so much goodwill! My in-laws are Taiwanese, so I had to learn Mandarin and speak only enough Thai to get by here, but it's so loving worth it.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Uh so the Vietnamese E-Visa filing website has been down for the past 3 days... I'm leaving for Thailand in about a week+ and then Vietnam a week+2 days or so after that. I guess I still have some time but I'd rather lock down my plans sooner than later.

Assuming I cannot get an E-Visa. What is the legality of me flying into Tan Son Nhat International Airport to fly out? If I don't leave the airport do I still need a visa? I'd try to rebook my flight but I've had bad experiences with EVA.

FWIW this is the page I'm looking at, the first link does not work for me: https://uploads.mwp.mprod.getusinfo.com/uploads/sites/124/2022/07/E-Visa-Application-Steps.pdf

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The website is up. Maybe you were looking at a third-party site?

https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/trang-chu-ttdt

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The website is up. Maybe you were looking at a third-party site?

https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/trang-chu-ttdt

the problem ended up being it won't load on chrome. works fine on phone and in Edge.. weird.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Strong Sauce posted:

the problem ended up being it won't load on chrome. works fine on phone and in Edge.. weird.

Ah, the classic SEA government website problem

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
So is Thailand rebannning weed?

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

Waltzing Along posted:

So is Thailand rebannning weed?

Details are unknown yet, TIT after all. But its highly likely that usage will change from recreational to medical. Recriminilization is incredibly unlikely.
Weed was never meant to be legalized for recreational use. Thai parlament passed a law decriminalising weed, but didn't pass the medical marijuana law, leading to the current full legalisation :allears:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Gonna be kind of lame if we're no longer able to occasional smoke in bars or a back alley... :smith:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

the heat goes wrong posted:

Details are unknown yet, TIT after all. But its highly likely that usage will change from recreational to medical. Recriminilization is incredibly unlikely.
Weed was never meant to be legalized for recreational use. Thai parlament passed a law decriminalising weed, but didn't pass the medical marijuana law, leading to the current full legalisation :allears:

What do you mean by TIT?

Also, that's a shame. You'd think with Thailand being so reliant on tourism that they'd view legalized weed as a huge boon to the economy. Still, people are saying that it would be trivial to get around this hurdle should it come to pass.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
TIT is an acronym thrown around by people here that means "This is Thailand". It's basically equivalent to shrugging whenever something inexplicable happens here and there's no other logical explanation.

Leaks from the proposed bill include requiring a doctor's prescription for weed, legalizing up to 5 methamphetamine pills in personal possession, and extending official bar hours in entertainment districts. The latter is only really formally enforced in the red light districts and most bars have stayed open until 4-6am since forever. The midnight bar time was most usually only enforced when a new police chief was appointed and they needed to assert that they were in charge. A few months later and no one was enforcing it again.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
Going back to Thailand for the water festival hooorah!!!!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Atlas Hugged posted:

legalizing up to 5 methamphetamine pills in personal possession,

That will be great for tourism

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Pirate Radar posted:

That will be great for tourism

The Bangkok Post's article didn't elaborate on where people were getting the pills, mind you, but I'm sure nature will, uh, find a way.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Atlas Hugged posted:

TIT is an acronym thrown around by people here that means "This is Thailand". It's basically equivalent to shrugging whenever something inexplicable happens here and there's no other logical explanation.

Oh hahaha there's something similar to that among China foreigners like "Because China" or "No why" in response to some arbitrary rule or event.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I saw a Reddit post just now saying that if you don't have enough cash on hand (10k or 20k baht) a border official could reject your entry into Thailand, but this may just be for land crossings.

Does this apply to entering Thailand via plane as well? From the comments it looks like they want to see cash on hand and don't care if you have proof of overseas bank accounts with the equivalent amount (China in my case).

https://www.reddit.com/r/ThailandTourism/s/qVs2KJ7vW3

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I saw a Reddit post just now saying that if you don't have enough cash on hand (10k or 20k baht) a border official could reject your entry into Thailand, but this may just be for land crossings.

Does this apply to entering Thailand via plane as well? From the comments it looks like they want to see cash on hand and don't care if you have proof of overseas bank accounts with the equivalent amount (China in my case).

https://www.reddit.com/r/ThailandTourism/s/qVs2KJ7vW3

This has been an official policy since forever, but I've never personally been asked to show that I had money at an airport even though I did. My parents have been in and out a couple of times and I don't think they've been stopped either. If you're paranoid, I'd just bring cash with. It's not like you won't end up using cash at some point while you're here.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Oh hahaha there's something similar to that among China foreigners like "Because China" or "No why" in response to some arbitrary rule or event.

Yeah, it's the "no why" of Thailand.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Having gone through customs at both Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang in the past month, I was never asked to show money to a Thai customs official. Don't think it's ever happened to me since I started going in 2010, though also as a white American I am on easy mode for most immigration. You can probably find an ATM or cash advance counter in the airport if you're that concerned.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
No, I'm not that concerned. I was planning on bringing 5k baht in cash with me anyway and taking more out later from an ATM when I'm actually in Thailand. I just didn't realize there was a policy of having X amount of cash on hand when you arrive and thought to mention it.

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...
I have been asked twice to show some money when flying to Thailand. In both cases it was the airline employees who were asking and I didn't have a flight out of thailand booked (which is also one of the legal requirements).
Its okay. The airport will have ATMs if you feel like you really need cash.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

the heat goes wrong posted:

I have been asked twice to show some money when flying to Thailand. In both cases it was the airline employees who were asking and I didn't have a flight out of thailand booked (which is also one of the legal requirements).
Its okay. The airport will have ATMs if you feel like you really need cash.

No long term visa plus no onward booking is a common trigger for further question in many parts of the world. States generally don't want to let in people who seem like they might become a net drain on their coffers.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
Ive only had to show proof of funds for a visa. I just went thru customs at bkk today and they didnt ask, got 1000 baht to my name rn

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I was asked to show money once. It was at a land border though and in retrospect I didn't even pay for a cab ride through the no man's land area between countries, which probably gave off big penniless hippy vibes

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

The only time I was asked to show proof of funds was at the airport before a return flight from Laos with no onward flight.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Does anyone know if I'm suppose to pay the EVisa for Vietnam after they approve or if I have to pay as part of the submission? I submitted but not sure if I needed to pay somehow.

Edit: Update, apparently they send you an email later.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 16, 2024

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Evisa for Vietnam was pretty painless - had mates from all around the world (Ghana, Norway, Philippines, Liberia, Aus, etc) knock it over pretty well.

Trip report on my wedding on Ha Long bay, was absolutely fantastic. Everyone had a great time and the tour company did a great job. They told me it was the first Christian wedding they had been part of but rather than being slap dash, I think that just helped keep their quotes reasonable and efforts high because they put a big effort in and I got away with an all food, all drink three day/two night cruise for 60 people, all the decorations, violinist, makeup, band, cake, photography/drone team, bussing etc for about $35k US.

No regrets at all on the location or how we went about it. Only points of detail; halal food could sometimes be tricky (although the boat crew sorted that) and Vietnam is a seafood/oyster sauce centric place so seafood allergies really limited one of the guests options out and about in Hanoi.

A lot of guests then done their own tours around the wedding and Ninh Binh seems to have been the crowd favourite although Da Nang impressed as well.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Is it illegal to bring or use e-cigarettes or vapes in Thailand? From what I've seen online apparently they are indeed illegal and have been since 2014 which is kind of weird to me considering traditional cigarettes are not prohibited. :confused:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jan 24, 2024

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Don't bring them in, but they're available down here in many of the minimarts and street vendors sell them. Don't do it in front of the police unless you want to donate to the Christmas party.

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Like the above poster said, I wouldn't bring one into the country. They are definitely available to buy all over the place. I follow a few Thai bar girls/gogo dancer "influencer" wannabe types who live in Bangkok. They vape up a storm all over the place and post it on their social media. The even advertise vape brands and sell vapes lol. Seems to me like it's perfectly acceptable. Better safe than sorry though, just don't be brazen and disrespectful about it and you'll be fine.

If you live in the west, get some nicotine pouches and use those to get through the long flight and through customs. Then once you're on Thai soil go vape crazy.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Or just grow up and stop smoking.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Vapes are legit disgusting, like someone breathing in your face. At least cigarette smoke is inimical to all life rather than sweet and moist.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I think nicotine vapes are dumb, but like who the gently caress cares if someone else has one they use so long as they're not blowing it into my face, same as a cigarette? Let people do their thing.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Everybody’s vaping here in Pattaya. Saw them in Bangkok as well

Also I had to scrap my Vietnam plans because my visa got an initially rejection of “full name” not matching (I’m assuming my passport) obviously I know my full name but a thing their website doesn’t let you do is put a dash in the given name. Anyways it got held so long in queue I decided not to risk it (I have check in and don’t know if their immigration is before or after luggage) and rebooked my flights and what little plans I had and of course right after I rebook my flights they approved it. Anyways spending extra days literally doing nothing but relaxing so I guess not the worst thing.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Atlas Hugged posted:

I think nicotine vapes are dumb, but like who the gently caress cares if someone else has one they use so long as they're not blowing it into my face, same as a cigarette? Let people do their thing.

Nah, vape exhale is legit as feral as cigarette smoke - the vapour cloud is thicker at a longer distance than cigarette smoke and usually it travels further.

It smells disgusting, not quite as bad as cigarettes but the ~~fresh guava~~ or BUBBLEGUM BLAST stench or whatever the gently caress is nauseating when you’re trying to eat a meal and the prick three tables away is doing it constantly.

And of course literally every vaper in the world gets aggro about “:rolleyes: ITS JUST WATER VAPOUR, ITS FINE :rolleyes:”when you ask them to stop. There’s even a fuckwit in my apartment building that vapes in the lifts, because the sign says no smoking and I’m vaping, not smoking, so it’s fine :smug:

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

I don’t know what the exact scam is but I’ve had two people come up to me at night the past two days asking where I’m from or how to get to some place and then they try to steer conversation to money. They specifically ask a question like how many euro in a baht or what does Thai baht look like?

That last question immediately put me on alert because how would you not know what it looks like. I’m in pattaya right now and it would be incredibly hard to get here without knowing what some local currency looked like. Anyway I pointed him to a currency exchange near us and while he wasn’t necessarily rude his demeanor kinda changed. His question was how to get to walking street and I told him he had to go across the Soi to get on the baht bus he basically did the opposite.

My guess is is you show them some money and they either refuse to give it back or they sleight of hand a counterfeit and give that to you. It’s probably not physical since there are probably better targets than me. But Can’t really find anything about it online either.

Boola
Dec 7, 2005
Aye. Something fishy going on there obviously.

When anyone anywhere in the world comes up and asks where I'm from it's also like giant blinking lights going off over their heads that theyre going to try to scam you or ask for money or try to sell you something

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Strong Sauce posted:

I don’t know what the exact scam is but I’ve had two people come up to me at night the past two days asking where I’m from or how to get to some place and then they try to steer conversation to money. They specifically ask a question like how many euro in a baht or what does Thai baht look like?

That last question immediately put me on alert because how would you not know what it looks like. I’m in pattaya right now and it would be incredibly hard to get here without knowing what some local currency looked like. Anyway I pointed him to a currency exchange near us and while he wasn’t necessarily rude his demeanor kinda changed. His question was how to get to walking street and I told him he had to go across the Soi to get on the baht bus he basically did the opposite.

My guess is is you show them some money and they either refuse to give it back or they sleight of hand a counterfeit and give that to you. It’s probably not physical since there are probably better targets than me. But Can’t really find anything about it online either.

Another one is they ask to convert or make change with a big bill they give you and while you're examining it they swap one of the bills you gave them with a smaller one and claim you accidentally short changed them. But yes, anytime a rando anywhere in the world starts talking about money it's because they want yours.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Yeah I found some posts online where some guy was scammed and they took his money while constantly saying to him, "don't worry the money is there" I really wish they'd crack down on these kinda scams.

The last guy asked me while I was waiting for the bathroom at a mcdonalds. He was doing his spiel when the guy inside was done so I kinda just went, "okay bye" and pointed to the bathroom. He also asked me some weird question about Euros when I already said I was from America.

Also one of the biggest issues I have with the Baht is the 1K, 500, 100 bills are too similar in color. The 1K is brownish, 500 purplish and 100 is reddish but if you're in a dark area like a bar its kinda hard to see immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
So with that scam people must be handing them 500s and 1000s often enough for it to be worth their while. I can't imagine them making it work fast-changing people out of B20 bills unless they have it down to an absolute assembly line.