Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

billymumphrey posted:

Really? I've seen the trailers before most of the movies I'v seen recently, and it looks pretty hokey/rubbish
It's fantastic. One of my favorite movies of 2023. Paul Giamatti is excellent in it, but so is the rest of the cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BowlingCalls
Jan 7, 2024

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 7, 2024

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

billymumphrey posted:

Really? I've seen the trailers before most of the movies I'v seen recently, and it looks pretty hokey/rubbish

It’s not hokey exactly, but it is very writerly and is a deliberate (successful) attempt to recreate the look and feel of a mildly quirky 70s coming of age comedic drama. The story isn’t trying to take any chances and the writer definitely wants you to congratulate them on their handsomely assembled sentences; quickly into your airing you’ll figure out if you find that to be cozy or obnoxious. I thought it was a great example of its type and it put me in a Christmassy mood two weeks too late.

billymumphrey
Mar 2, 2022

mysterious frankie posted:

It’s not hokey exactly, but it is very writerly and is a deliberate (successful) attempt to recreate the look and feel of a mildly quirky 70s coming of age comedic drama. The story isn’t trying to take any chances and the writer definitely wants you to congratulate them on their handsomely assembled sentences; quickly into your airing you’ll figure out if you find that to be cozy or obnoxious. I thought it was a great example of its type and it put me in a Christmassy mood two weeks too late.

Yeah. I think is the moment in the trailer where my eyes rolled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhKLpJmHhIg&t=57s

May have to reevaluate.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Tucker and Dale vs Evil is a solidly funny and refreshingly simple little movie

Also finally watched Asteroid City. I'm really hosed up about this but I have say... eh. It was fine I guess. Gonna watch Grand Budapest again

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

DaysBefore posted:

Also finally watched Asteroid City. I'm really hosed up about this but I have say... eh. It was fine I guess. Gonna watch Grand Budapest again

agreed on both points. and I too got a hankering for grand budapest hotel after watching asteroid city.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

billymumphrey posted:

I almost thought it was a fake movie or something when I saw the trailer. I was shocked when it turned out to be a legitimate film that people seem to love.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

billymumphrey posted:

Yeah. I think is the moment in the trailer where my eyes rolled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhKLpJmHhIg&t=57s

May have to reevaluate.

Seems like whoever made that trailer was trying their damndest to zhuzh up a fairly sedate, deliberately paced movie and instead made it look like complete dog poo poo.

E: that trailer is actually why I was so hesitant to fork over the money to rent. I was like “I like Alexander Payne, and the concept on paper sounds good, but this looks like an inexplicably big budget Hallmark Channel Movie.”

mysterious frankie fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 7, 2024

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I love Tucker and Dale and Tyler Labine should be in more stuff, he’s great. Also Alan Tudyk too of course.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Escape from L.A. was a solid 3 out of 5. Nowhere near as good as Escape from New York, but still fun.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

i really laugh at that one video where mike keeps saying ‘make a poo’

Argyle Gargoyle
Apr 1, 2009

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

DaysBefore posted:

Been a while since a rewatch and my roommate has good taste, hasn't seen too many non-mainstream movies, but has a low tolerance for gore and violence. I'd love to throw it on but alas. At least I'm introducing her to good bad movies, starting with The Room. She loved to hate watch it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I honestly wasn't sure if he was kidding about Pokemon. But it's real

https://www.pokemon.com/us/animatio...tendo%20Switch.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Did Rich and Mike really break up? :ohdear:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Mike really took it hard when he found out Rich Evans was pawning his own diabetes medicine the entire time.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

People have long compared the mike and rich situation to the romance in phantom thread. Perhaps this is merely the part where they fight and separate, before rejoining in an even more wildly hosed up way

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Outpost22 posted:

Did Rich and Mike really break up? :ohdear:

mike said "i dont want to be with this diabetes bitch anymore"

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

stop telling lies on the internet about mike and rich! just stop! their bond is undefeatable

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

DaysBefore posted:

Asteroid City grew on me in the few days after I watched it. It takes some noodling because it’s about how art deals with the sort of indescribable, ineffable, or traumatic things in life. So it’s almost so vague it defies understanding. But it’s good; I think the key to it is Margot Robbie talking to the actor (whose lover the writer just died) who is playing a character whose wife just died, and talking about how art leaves a piece of itself with you, a lens you can use to understand life.

Or anyway, just saw The Boy and the Heron. It basically had the same theme and message

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
mike and rich are back together, mike is reported to have said "i cant quit you bitch"

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

*Defiantly before the posting tribunal* I'm really not sure what was more absolutely mid in the context of that artist's corpus, asteroid city or boy/heron

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

No Mods No Masters posted:

*Defiantly before the posting tribunal* I'm really not sure what was more absolutely mid in the context of that artist's corpus, asteroid city or boy/heron

I sentence you to thirty days in CD, and may whatever god you believe in have mercy on your soul

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

:blastu:

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

I thought Snake Plissken would be taller

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Dr. Thoss posted:

still doing it, just haven't bothered posting the invite in the thread 'cause i figured by this point anyone interested would already be on the server

I’m interested and don’t have an invite.

fuzzyduckbutt
Mar 3, 2016

People have long compared the mike and rich situation to the romance in phantom thread. Perhaps this is merely the part where they fight and separate, before rejoining in an even more wildly hosed up way

Mike secretly switches out Rich's diet coke with regular coke so he can nurse him back from a diabetic coma

010724_3
Jan 7, 2024
diabetes is still a disease in the year 2024

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
My best friend Rich Evans betrayed me and abandoned me in a condemned candy factory to die of diabetes.
But just when I gave up all hope, a bag of enchanted doorknobs fell from a rotting ceiling. Delirious with the diabetes, I began consuming the doorknobs, gaining strength after each one. My hands pulsed with a bright purple aura and I soon realized I had a special gift, and set off on a journey to devour all the doorknobs in the city, so that my power becomes unmatched and I may finally have my revenge on those that wronged me, for I am no longer the Mike I used to be. Now...
I am the KNOBGOBBLER!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Oh poo poo The Running Man is on Netflix

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

who's your favourite running man bad guy. i like the hockey one.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

The electric shock guy because he's so ridiculous

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Buzzsaw until he had to split

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Damon Killian, of course.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

poisonpill posted:

Asteroid City grew on me in the few days after I watched it. It takes some noodling because it’s about how art deals with the sort of indescribable, ineffable, or traumatic things in life. So it’s almost so vague it defies understanding. But it’s good; I think the key to it is Margot Robbie talking to the actor (whose lover the writer just died) who is playing a character whose wife just died, and talking about how art leaves a piece of itself with you, a lens you can use to understand life.

Or anyway, just saw The Boy and the Heron. It basically had the same theme and message

an uncharitable read of The Boy and the Heron is Miyazaki telling his son it's okay for him to stop making movies

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Jon Irenicus posted:

an uncharitable read of The Boy and the Heron is Miyazaki telling his son it's okay for him to stop making movies

I've been thinking a lot of the film since I saw it. you could say it's the most message-y of his films, but there's a lot in it that's autobiographical. maybe it's kind of a cliche to call an older artist's work "a meditation on their life, their art, and their legacy" but that's truly what it is imo. it's every miyazaki film smushed together with miyazaki himself diagetically reflecting on his life's creation, and entreating the audience to create something new themselves. it's quite easy to read the ending as goro (as conceived by his father) rejecting hayao's legacy but it's just as easy to read it as hayao rejecting his own father's.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
https://x.com/jaybauman1/status/1744005688290844845?s=46

moopies are good again

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
On my way to see Goodfellas on the big screen, hell yeah.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Crescent Wrench posted:

On my way to see Goodfellas on the big screen, hell yeah.

I forget, is Goodfella DC or Marvel?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Benedetta ruled and Robocop is one of my all-time favorites, so this should be great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

I forget, is Goodfella DC or Marvel?