Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Alchenar posted:

Okay I'm taking another stab at Like A Dragon and jesus Christ I've spent about 5 minutes in the last hour actually playing the game.

Sorry I've never played a Yakuza game, what were you doing the other 55min? Cutscenes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Beat Lies Of P then… immediately started it up again so i could play it again with a different character build. game good

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
7 has a pretty intense intro and the REAL rpg mechanics don’t fully unlock until like chapter 4 but it’s worth it in the end. Incredible game.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I didn't believe that epic was shoe horning rock band into fortnite and tried it out after playing some lego fortnite with the kids, and yep, fortnite rock band.. only like 5 songs in it tho wtf

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Sywert of Thieves posted:

Sorry I've never played a Yakuza game, what were you doing the other 55min? Cutscenes?

Yes. But the interesting choice is that it's a mix of animated cutscenes and in-engine sequences where you are literally doing nothing but scrolling text.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Is it better or worse than that Monster Hunter game where the first hour is watching an anime waifu tediously explain every single gameplay concept in excruciating depth before you can, y’know, hunt monsters

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Evil Badman posted:

This would be the exclusive I could see popping up on a competitor platform.

You're right: it also launched on PlayStation 4.

Zerot fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jan 7, 2024

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

priznat posted:

I didn't believe that epic was shoe horning rock band into fortnite and tried it out after playing some lego fortnite with the kids, and yep, fortnite rock band.. only like 5 songs in it tho wtf

The Rock Band thread told me you can buy more songs, with the Fortnite currency probably. Also they're going apeshit over the entire thing because ROCK BAND IS BACK BABY WOOO :woop:

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

It turns out a lot of gamers love not playing video games. See also the high regard for other non-games like Pentiment, Alan Wake 2, RDR2, Last of Us, etc etc. I don't get it either.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

webmeister posted:

Is it better or worse than that Monster Hunter game where the first hour is watching an anime waifu tediously explain every single gameplay concept in excruciating depth before you can, y’know, hunt monsters

This describes so many Japanese games, the main reason I don't like most of them.

ColdPie posted:

It turns out a lot of gamers love not playing video games. See also the high regard for other non-games like Pentiment, Alan Wake 2, RDR2, Last of Us, etc etc. I don't get it either.

Pentiment is a wonderful game. RDR2 as well and doesn't compare at all to the ones mentioned.

But I also never liked the TLOU games.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I'd rather watch a cutscene than be forced to walk at a slower than normal pace while another character just barfs out dialogue, stops and stands there, says something else, then keeps walking.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Beastie posted:

I'd rather watch a cutscene than be forced to walk at a slower than normal pace while another character just barfs out dialogue, stops and stands there, says something else, then keeps walking.

☝️

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

ColdPie posted:

You don’t get it because you are very stupid. Hth

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
"I don't like it when I'm not moving like the guy from Quake 3. Also when there's plot, unlike Quake 3."

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Yakuza 7 has a lot of frontloaded cutscenes but then its a ton of actual game and it's excellent. Also I'm not a fan of games heavy on cutscenes but Yakuza gets away with it because the writing an cutscenes are actually good unlike 95% of games.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

American McGay posted:

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

American McGay posted:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The thing I find incomprehensible is that despite the ratio of 55 minutes cutscenes to 5 minutes gameplay... about half the script is voiced, and the other half is just text with the actor going 'hrmgh'. I've been to a location that probably only appears once in an in-game cutscene that was lavishly detailed, but the first 'dungeon' of the game looks like it was made in the 90's by someone who was late to leave the office. There's just such an incredible disparity between the quality of the things the developer clearly cared about, and things where they just went 'meh'.

I know the developer has to push out a game every single year and that has to play havoc with the choices they have to make on what they care about, but still.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Any length of a RGG game you should be thanking the Lord for letting you experience

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Yakuza series is the poster child for making a lot of a little for better and worse. Tbh a lot of other developers could probably learn a thing or two from them because the project management there has to be out of this world. But the seams are pretty apparent when you play the games.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Alchenar posted:

The thing I find incomprehensible is that despite the ratio of 55 minutes cutscenes to 5 minutes gameplay... about half the script is voiced, and the other half is just text with the actor going 'hrmgh'. I've been to a location that probably only appears once in an in-game cutscene that was lavishly detailed, but the first 'dungeon' of the game looks like it was made in the 90's by someone who was late to leave the office. There's just such an incredible disparity between the quality of the things the developer clearly cared about, and things where they just went 'meh'.

I know the developer has to push out a game every single year and that has to play havoc with the choices they have to make on what they care about, but still.

it's an RPG op

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Baby’s first RGG.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I honestly don't understand the problem. You spend a few minutes busting skulls with vending machines or chickens, then help a kid solve a crossword puzzle on your downtime.

Watching 30 minutes of cut scenes of Yakuza clans that have a more complicated family tree compared to Genghis Kahn is a small price to pay. Hit baseballs or throw darts or drive a taxi to decompress.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Some scenes are incredibly cinematic with full voice acting and other scenes show a static portrait with a text box. My brain is the size of a pea and I cannot comprehend this difference.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

The Rock Band thread told me you can buy more songs, with the Fortnite currency probably. Also they're going apeshit over the entire thing because ROCK BAND IS BACK BABY WOOO :woop:

It says on their site they are looking at how to use the old instruments which would be pretty drat cool. I loved rock band especially pro mode keyboards.

Sadly Epic will probably fill it with epic bullshit.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
imagine if every single person you talked to in yakuza had a voiced cutscene instead of static conversation interactions. the games would be 500 hours long

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Professor Beetus posted:

imagine if every single person you talked to in yakuza had a voiced cutscene instead of static conversation interactions. the games would be 500 hours long

And we would get one a decade lol

acksplode
May 17, 2004

There's a lot wrong with AAA games but these "if a game takes away control for half a second it's trash" takes sound like undiagnosed ADHD. Maybe you're looking for a fidget spinner

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Are there any other 3 player couch co-op games out there like the Trine series that at least have a bit of a story, light puzzles, etc? Not really looking for rudimentary task simulators with PS1 graphics like all the cooking, delivery person, house mover games but it seems like once you move past 2 players that's about it.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Cutscenes are fine but not balancing them between gameplay ends up being boring as poo poo. Yakuza is guilty but as others have mentioned, the beginning of monster hunter is so loving bad.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

acksplode posted:

these "if a game takes away control for half a second it's trash" takes

Can you quote one of those takes? I don't remember anyone saying that.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yakuza games ftw

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yakuza 7 takes a bit long to establish what's going on at the start, but even if you aren't super into that, just power through those cutscenes because that game gets bonkers and opens a lot of venues as it goes on. Just.. the best. Absolute best.

Basically:

Tatsuta Age posted:

Any length of a RGG game you should be thanking the Lord for letting you experience

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yakuza games ftw

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yakuza games ftw

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Kirk Vikernes posted:

Are there any other 3 player couch co-op games out there like the Trine series that at least have a bit of a story, light puzzles, etc? Not really looking for rudimentary task simulators with PS1 graphics like all the cooking, delivery person, house mover games but it seems like once you move past 2 players that's about it.

Not that I've been able to find. Mostly you are limited to arpg games like Diablo, Minecraft dungeons, etc. And stuff like Minecraft and potentially Roblox, but I've tried to avoid the latter with my kids.

I'd love if Lego games expanded to 3 or 4 players, but that seems unlikely.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Rare Replay has a bunch of old ones that I believe are 3+ player couch co-op, then you have the beat-em-ups like ninja turtles and battletoads but yeah those are definitely not "light"

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 8, 2024

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

ColdPie posted:

They're fun and chill OP

After beating AW2 on the weekend I'm actually in the mood for some more story games with light or no combat, any suggestions?

Played Pentiment, Both the Plague Tales, Hellblade & Control off the top of my head. Maybe I'll just wait for the RE2 remaster coming soon

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

hanyolo posted:

They're fun and chill OP

After beating AW2 on the weekend I'm actually in the mood for some more story games with light or no combat, any suggestions?

Played Pentiment, Both the Plague Tales, Hellblade & Control off the top of my head. Maybe I'll just wait for the RE2 remaster coming soon

Jusant’s story is entirely environmental or told through little pages you find but there’s no combat or death, just chill climbing til you reach the top and find out why you’ve been climbing.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

What a great surprise, this little game!

I thought it was a walking simulator, and... it is! Kinda. But I still enjoyed it a lot!

Lever-Pulling Heroine Rose Archer travels to Rapture Helios, the greatest and most technically advanced ship in the world, full of scientists doing research. Obviously nothing bad can happ- ahhh heck, wait, Bad Event! Oops. Now, with the power of pulling levers, Rose has to figure out what happened and how to fix it.

- Incredibly pretty visuals, Art Deco style. The Bioshock comparison is probably appropiate. Graphically, this game punches well above its weight for being an indie. These are probably the last gasps of the Unreal Engine version 4, and it has never looked prettier, some rooms reminded me of being awed by those ol' Myst screenshots, but in realtime. Some rooms, had to stop and admire the design - particularly The Grand Theater and the Botanical laboratory, just gorgeous.

- Some jump scares. I thought it was a chill lil' mystery game, but there's some spookiness here, definitely. Nothing that will give you a heart attack, but the first time was so unexpected I almost quit. I did not read anything about this game, so that took me by surprise.

- "Puzzles" are barely there, even Resident Evil has more difficult puzzles, but this was perfect for me. I enjoyed walking around the ship and reading notes, and these easy "pull lever, move on" rooms were fine with me. Maybe not for actual puzzle fans.

- Fun story, some parts very predictable but still works. And not long at all, 4-6 hours at best. Right when I was thinking "yeah yeah, ok, let's wrap it up", the ending sequence kicks in.

There are some annoyances, like a couple of timed sequences where you pretty much have to know which way to run in order to make it in time, but at least the game is not overly punishing about failing them. Also, the animation is fine, but I thought some sequences could be improved in their next game

Definitely give this a go if you got the GamePass. I would've never bought it, but I gave it a shot and it paid off :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

hanyolo posted:

They're fun and chill OP

The Forgotten City is a neat little time loop game with a cool narrative, but some people can't stand time loop games so it might not be your thing.

Couple hour cool little experience for sure. It was on game pass when I played it but I think it isn't anymore.