Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

BonHair posted:

My taint falls asleep when I'm riding with my six year old to school, but wakes up when I go back past my home to the office. The reason is that kiddo is loving slow, so I'm actually sitting hard on the seat instead of sitting lightly because my legs are lifting my butt from the treading. So maybe you just got stronger or better at not sitting hard?

that's blood flow getting cut off or nerves getting impinged u dw do that lol that's exactly what i was saying will make u impotent over time fr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

How cool would it be with electric assist? Electric motors have no problem spinning in reverse.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The thing to watch out for is where you're sitting on the saddle. Despite the saddle's small size, there's still quite a bit room for how you can position yourself, and if you're too far forward, you might be resting on your taint, which can cause your genitals to "fall asleep". Try to learn to feel how to move back, to the rear of the saddle, so it's your sit bones that are pressing on the saddle and bearing your weight.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

my bony fealty posted:

what is the best way to make my rear end less sore from getting back into riding. padded pants?? better seat?? do squats?
padded shorts/bibs, and a seat that *fits*, which can be a literal pain in the rear end to find.

FirstnameLastname posted:

sitting on those lil seats for extended periods can wreck your junk fyi, like permanent dysfunction/nerve damage

if it's painful dont try pushing past that, definitely don't try to wait until the pain (and all other general nerve sensation) stops, it's not like getting calluses from playing an acoustic guitar or something, it's not surface stuff that's being beat up or aggravated, it's the base of your spinal column & not worth risking loving up if it's painful, better to just get a seat that dont hurt
There's a big difference between soreness/sores, which are mostly caused by lack of chamy cream and time on the bike, and tingles/loss of sensation, which is 100% a sign of potential tissue/nerve damage and you should change something ASAP.

evil_bunnY has issued a correction as of 14:47 on Jan 7, 2024

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I just dropped $150 on a brooks saddle a decade ago and sit on it to where my two lil rear end bones grip the skinny part. I didn't even know they make different sizes of saddle

the only parts that go numb are wrists but that's only because I have nearly flat bars with no hand position changes and the numbness doesn't kick in until like mile 40

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Yeah, try different saddles. Hard ones like the brooks which keep pressure on your rear end bones rather than your taint, or get a saddle with a big 'ol taint cutout.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

FirstnameLastname posted:

sitting on those lil seats for extended periods can wreck your junk fyi, like permanent dysfunction/nerve damage
This is not true at all unless you have wildly bad fit. A narrow saddle on a properly fit bike keeps weight on sit bones, not soft tissue. Initial soreness is normal until you get used to it (like a week tops). Numbness is a sign that something is wrong.

Wide saddles are worse. They increase chafing and put more weight on soft tissues of the taintal region. Novice riders often get them because they seem more comfortable for someone who hasn’t ridden in a long time, but they’re bad in the long run.

cat botherer has issued a correction as of 15:27 on Jan 7, 2024

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the big soft seats on beach cruisers are just asking for problems. hard leather saddle, bruise up ur assbones real good the first week, and then as long as you ride 2x/week your rear end will be made of titanium and pain-free

mystes
May 31, 2006

speng31b posted:

I wonder what the rate of golf cart related injuries is in burbs like this
It's got to be safer than all the senior citizens driving SUVs or pickup trucks even though their license was already suspended last time they ran someone over

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

BonHair posted:

My taint falls asleep when I'm riding with my six year old to school, but wakes up when I go back past my home to the office

You should be able to ride basically all day without anything falling asleep, look into a new saddle ASAP. Soreness is fine and expected but numbness is definitely not

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Polo-Rican posted:

You should be able to ride basically all day without anything falling asleep, look into a new saddle ASAP. Soreness is fine and expected but numbness is definitely not
It can easily be a bike fit problem also. Moving the saddle forward (or maybe back) and/or adjusting the saddle and bar height might be worth a shot.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

cat botherer posted:

It can easily be a bike fit problem also. Moving the saddle forward (or maybe back) and/or adjusting the saddle and bar height might be worth a shot.

yep. the saddle position / angle / height can also have an impact on how your arms / wrists / shoulders feel on the handlebars, assuming that's all set up correctly

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

BonHair posted:

My taint falls asleep when I'm riding with my six year old to school, but wakes up when I go back past my home to the office. The reason is that kiddo is loving slow, so I'm actually sitting hard on the seat instead of sitting lightly because my legs are lifting my butt from the treading. So maybe you just got stronger or better at not sitting hard?

I had a similar realization with friends who started our bike camping trip going like 5mph. First time actually sitting in it for a long time, it wasn't very comfortable (soreness not numbness). I replaced it with a stiff leather saddle and now zero soreness after 80+ mile days.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

that seems dumb as hell op
to you.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Same experience with an ebike conversion, a regular seat is designed to pedal not sit all day. I could have swapped seats but I sold it. Pedaling is not that hard.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I had the choice between "pay $200" and "stop riding my bike" and I went with the latter. Bike fits need to be subsidized or something

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

i say swears online posted:

I just dropped $150 on a brooks saddle a decade ago and sit on it to where my two lil rear end bones grip the skinny part. I didn't even know they make different sizes of saddle

the only parts that go numb are wrists but that's only because I have nearly flat bars with no hand position changes and the numbness doesn't kick in until like mile 40

I'm thinking of dropping the dosh on a brooks, too. It's pricey but I only ever hear good things.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I really like my brooks. It also looks cool.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it looks cool and lasts forever. I hope it lasts forever at least, I've treated mine like poo poo

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

I had the choice between "pay $200" and "stop riding my bike" and I went with the latter. Bike fits need to be subsidized or something
Anyone with a decent amount of experience can you in the right ballpark, and many shops have a test saddle program to help you find the right shape and size. You don’t need to spend anything

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Yeah, I'm going to look into saddles eventually, but the main cause of numbness is that I'm barely pedaling. I can just lift my butt a bit in the short term. It's not even every day it happens, only when the going is extremely slow.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Sometimes a reaped taint is the price you have to pay for being cool.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm thinking of dropping the dosh on a brooks, too. It's pricey but I only ever hear good things.

My wife had problems and a Brooks was worse for her than the lovely stock Giant saddle. She got a bike fit done where they suggested an Ergon saddle and it’s been great for her.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I tried a brooks cambium and I tried a berthoud and I'm back on selle italia :shrug:

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I’ve got a bare carbon saddle from Alibaba on my old racing bike that cost like $30. Actually pretty comfy with the amount of bar drop I’ve got on it. There’s also no fabric cover that always tears on the edges. It’s been a solid saddle for like 10 years now.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

checking out the orthophotos before heading out to update the trees at a new development and seeing a bunch of big oaks replaced with a parking lot
:smith:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

withak posted:

Sometimes a reaped taint is the price you have to pay for being cool.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Clark Nova posted:

I tried a brooks cambium and I tried a berthoud and I'm back on selle italia :shrug:
my butt doesn’t agree with brooks either. I have wide sit bones and want as big of a perineal cutout as I can.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I watched a car blow right by a stopped school bus yesterday while kids were getting out. The bus driver laid on their horn and the driver stopped after they passed the bus (?), and then drove off like they had forgotten how to drive.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

they should paint school buses with some kind of high-visibility scheme like yellow and black, instead of like pavement

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

maybe a little stop sign could pop out of the side along with flashing red lights

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

the school buses here have the stop sign on a lever arm that extends into the next lane. i'm surprised they're not all busted off.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Rauros posted:

the school buses here have the stop sign on a lever arm that extends into the next lane. i'm surprised they're not all busted off.

A guy on the local subreddit posted about how he got a ticket for some reason for passing a school bus going in the opposite direction and asking how he could beat the ticket. Was 100% sure that there was no reason he should have been ticketed because "you can't see a bus stopped in the other direction."

https://old.reddit.com/r/pittsburgh/comments/17p9kld/mailed_civil_violation/

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
lol he's driving across a crosswalk without even noticing a schoolbus in it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
city reddits OWN

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I had a school bus pass me unnecessarily close while in a bike lane so I'm not sure who to root for.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Lmao “civil violations are different than traffic tickets”… :lmbo: isn’t a traffic ticket the classic example of a civil violation?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

city reddits OWN

oh my god

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They aren’t wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I hate driving here, two posts in two days about witnessing someone blowing a red light at a high rate of speed.

Deleted, but the OP said he had to slam on the brakes as a truck crossed in front of him at 50 mph
https://www.reddit.com/r/rochestermn/comments/190wbky/removed_by_reddit/

This one includes dash cam footage, speed limit is 45 there (lol) and OP gets passed like he/she's standing still
https://www.reddit.com/r/rochestermn/comments/192rf0s/guy_blows_a_red_salem_16th_street/

Ferdinand Bardamu has issued a correction as of 04:13 on Jan 10, 2024