Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Professor Wayne posted:

The bolt caster brings RE4 down. The game tricks you into thinking it's something you should use, while it rains ammo at you if you use real guns

It's pretty damned handy to skip some boss fights on higher difficulties though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Captain Hygiene posted:

The real thing dragging God of War down is Kratos' power disparity over the course of the game. Early on, he survives incredible amounts of physical damage, only to wrench giant chunks of mountains out of the earth to beat his enemies with. But later, he will die by taking in the merest whiff of fart gas. What am I to believe?

some pretty fucken rancid gas obvs

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Lobok posted:

For a game called God of War I find it a little tedious for the main character to be so hand-wringing about kicking some rear end.

The last time he kicked rear end without thinking he left all of Greece in ruins.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

The real thing dragging God of War down is Kratos' power disparity over the course of the game. Early on, he survives incredible amounts of physical damage, only to wrench giant chunks of mountains out of the earth to beat his enemies with. But later, he will die by taking in the merest whiff of fart gas. What am I to believe?

He's a god of war not a god of medicine. Someone trying to cut him in half / smash him to pulp is in his domain, ambient environmental poison is not.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The original trilogy, for the most part was lot more fun than the reboot

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Judge Tesla posted:

The last time he kicked rear end without thinking he left all of Greece in ruins.

There's a lot of distance between "oh no violence what hath i wrought" and "yolo kill 'em all lol".

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I haven't played GoW: The Daddening but from what I've seen they really mangle the Old Norse in very silly ways but I like that Jörmundgandr is genuinely gargantuan.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I played the first new God of War (2018) and it felt like the most Save It For The Sequel game ever, especially considering what a big production it was. You fight like one Norse god dude and everything else is generic mooks. Then they're like hey buy the second game when it comes out so you can fight Thor! I wonder if he's the only boss in that game.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
dont you kill basically every other Norse god in the sequel?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Sally posted:

Not really. I guess really only two of them? Most of them get killed by others.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I haven't played GoW: The Daddening but from what I've seen they really mangle the Old Norse in very silly ways but I like that Jörmundgandr is genuinely gargantuan.

If you have a decent subwoofer, they put almost all of Jörmundgandr's voice in the subwoofer.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sally posted:

How many are 'Every other' in this situation? The cast of God of War Ragnarok is very small, you only kill like a shockingly low number really. I mean who would've expected only two people as boss fights?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Tbf you only killed one god in 1 and arguably none in 2, the series kinda got memed into being the god killing series but it was only really a thing in 3 and the PSP games.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also kind of the point is that Kratos is trying to kill as few Gods as possible because he knows it's needless because most of them are trying to get better, Odin's just not letting them - Thor recognises that Magni and Modi's deaths in the first game are due partially to his actions as an abusive alcoholic, so he and Sif are trying to get off the booze and be a more attentive and kind parent to their remaining child. The gods that end up dying are invariably portrayed as a tragic failure, the one god he does end up killing is purely because he keeps giving the guy an out and he's too proud to take it, so keeps goading him until he has no choice but to end him. The Norns even make fun of Kratos' journey in Ragnarok when Freya tries to defend his killing of her son as not out of anger, and they're just like "Should I give him a crown then? He still kills Gods, but now he's sad about it?" which is generally a really fun scene.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 10:52 on Jan 7, 2024

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

During one of the unskippable Shipbreaker audiolog cutscenes that take control away from you I ran out of oxygen and died. It was about whether the in-game death/respawn system was callous worker mistreatment.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Okay that turns out to be the least of its problems. This games has issues with its narrative.

In the end the workers form a union and defeat the evil executive by leaking tapes of his threats to the media. But they have these tapes because the company routinely logs all comms, including the ones where they talk about private and family issues. So that's okay with the union?

Then the company practice of cloning dead workers into a backup body is named a human rights violation. Except it's the game's central respawn mechanic and the writers have diegetic'd themselves into a corner, so they immediately roll it back saying "but we the workers decided to keep it because it's a dangerous job after all." Good job, union, now all future LYNX workers have to sign away a human right, and you've explicitly approved that policy, rather than for example push for safer work environments.

Nothing changes in the end - because the work conditions are the central gameplay loop - except the crippling initial debt you're saddled with gets largely waived.

Even reducing that initial debt though feels quite managable throughout the game as you constantly make noticable dents into the sum with every shift, and altogether the gameplay is constantly rewarding. It's like if Portal had GladOS logging actual test data and you constantly saw it go into useful studies and had clear evidence that there was in fact cake.

They looked at the whole spectrum of workers' rights issues, picked out one singular aspect, solved that in the story and declared all workers' issues solved forever while drawing attention to the remaining ones.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Nier Replicant's story is designed as if it has much better gameplay than it actually does.

The structure of the game's story requires completing the second half of the game four times in total (more if you screw up unlocking Endings C and D, which is plausible). Most games wouldn't try that, but there's a good amount that could at least swing that if they wanted to; maybe there's enough diversity in playstyle that you can keep trying new things, maybe there's a ranking system that means you can track your progress, maybe the actual gameplay is just inherently fun enough to manage.

Nier Replicant has none of these things. It has no incentive to get better, and at about the end of the first playthrough I realized that the entire weapon/spell customization system is worthless because I can just solve every single problem with a one-handed sword and Dark Hand, to the point where trying to diversify only made things worse. There's theoretically min-maxing you could do with specific weapons and weapon types, but the leveling system puts a stop to that, because I hit a point somewhere in the second playthrough where I was one or two-shotting most enemies, and at that point, what's optimization gonna do?

I've started feeling like action RPGs just fundamentally don't work, because the 'action' and 'RPG' sides can only make each other worse rather than better, and Nier Replicant might be the clearest example. If it were a pure action game those replays might keep being fun, if it were a pure RPG then they'd have some diversity (or at least some satisfying power creep), but as it is, they're only ruining each other.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Cleretic posted:

Nier Replicant's story is designed as if it has much better gameplay than it actually does.

The structure of the game's story requires completing the second half of the game four times in total (more if you screw up unlocking Endings C and D, which is plausible). Most games wouldn't try that, but there's a good amount that could at least swing that if they wanted to; maybe there's enough diversity in playstyle that you can keep trying new things, maybe there's a ranking system that means you can track your progress, maybe the actual gameplay is just inherently fun enough to manage.

Nier Replicant has none of these things. It has no incentive to get better, and at about the end of the first playthrough I realized that the entire weapon/spell customization system is worthless because I can just solve every single problem with a one-handed sword and Dark Hand, to the point where trying to diversify only made things worse. There's theoretically min-maxing you could do with specific weapons and weapon types, but the leveling system puts a stop to that, because I hit a point somewhere in the second playthrough where I was one or two-shotting most enemies, and at that point, what's optimization gonna do?

I've started feeling like action RPGs just fundamentally don't work, because the 'action' and 'RPG' sides can only make each other worse rather than better, and Nier Replicant might be the clearest example. If it were a pure action game those replays might keep being fun, if it were a pure RPG then they'd have some diversity (or at least some satisfying power creep), but as it is, they're only ruining each other.

Imho that’s just a Nier Replicant problem, it has a great story but really deserved to be full on remade instead of adding new poo poo to a game that was deathly afraid of being less than 20 hours long. Automata really does fix a lot of Replicant’s issues wrt inelegant reuse of content by just being more elegant about it and making B Route have new poo poo beyond ”you can understand the shades screaming at you to leave them alone now” with side quests. Also think most of the boss fights are different too?

I think a lot of the Replicajt jank just straight up comes from it being a mostly faithful remaster of a game with a troubled development. Or at least I assume it was troubled, the entire conceit of B Route is that it’s the Kaine viewpoint but you just play as Nier for two more campaigns after finishing A Route.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

RareAcumen posted:

How many are 'Every other' in this situation? The cast of God of War Ragnarok is very small, you only kill like a shockingly low number really. I mean who would've expected only two people as boss fights?

i have no idea! i have never played the game! it's called "Ragnarok", i am assuming all they bigname members of the pantheon dont make it out alive... no?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

The Norns even make fun of Kratos' journey in Ragnarok when Freya tries to defend his killing of her son as not out of anger, and they're just like "Should I give him a crown then? He still kills Gods, but now he's sad about it?" which is generally a really fun scene.

Having the Norns read from the game script, including stage directions was inspired. There are a lot of nice little touches like that, they just get buried under the story straining to make Ares and Loki the Good Gods of their respective pantheons.

Sally posted:

i have no idea! i have never played the game! it's called "Ragnarok", i am assuming all they bigname members of the pantheon dont make it out alive... no?

The only god Kratos kills in Ragnarok is Heimdall. Thor is killed by Odin after he and Kratos talk out their differences, and Odin is killed by one of the comic relief dwarves from the first game after Loki traps his soul in a charm.

Ragnarok itself is a single limp stage where you run down a few corridors cinematically, fight Thor in a copy of the first time you fight him, fight Odin, then watch cutscenes where Surtur (your ally) kills Freyr (your ally) and nukes Asgard after the war is already over. There's not even any disasters going on, Thor dies without a clap of thunder.

Byzantine has a new favorite as of 19:07 on Jan 7, 2024

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Even as someone who liked Dad of Boy, Ragnarok is a very weird game and a significant step down from 2018. The strangest thing being that I guess they decided not to make a trilogy, so they have to stuff a ton of poo poo in right at the end. You spend a whole chunk of the game trying to reach Surtur to convince him to join you, he refuses, and then literally as you're walking away he just goes "I changed my mind, I'll come along." There is no further narrative or character development between him saying no and him saying yes.

You could have made a third game, guys! People would have bought it!

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

My Lovely Horse posted:

Okay that turns out to be the least of its problems. This games has issues with its narrative.

In the end the workers form a union and defeat the evil executive by leaking tapes of his threats to the media. But they have these tapes because the company routinely logs all comms, including the ones where they talk about private and family issues. So that's okay with the union?

Then the company practice of cloning dead workers into a backup body is named a human rights violation. Except it's the game's central respawn mechanic and the writers have diegetic'd themselves into a corner, so they immediately roll it back saying "but we the workers decided to keep it because it's a dangerous job after all." Good job, union, now all future LYNX workers have to sign away a human right, and you've explicitly approved that policy, rather than for example push for safer work environments.

Nothing changes in the end - because the work conditions are the central gameplay loop - except the crippling initial debt you're saddled with gets largely waived.

Even reducing that initial debt though feels quite managable throughout the game as you constantly make noticable dents into the sum with every shift, and altogether the gameplay is constantly rewarding. It's like if Portal had GladOS logging actual test data and you constantly saw it go into useful studies and had clear evidence that there was in fact cake.

They looked at the whole spectrum of workers' rights issues, picked out one singular aspect, solved that in the story and declared all workers' issues solved forever while drawing attention to the remaining ones.
That sounds pretty on par with how unions have worked since the 80's in the US; blunting actual radical demands to leave workers roughly treading water. So maybe the writers were being clever or accidentally stumbled rear end first into a more radical truth about unionization not being a magic bullet.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I mean to be fair “we have the technology to bring you back to life if you die” seems like a pretty good employment perk even if it’s the safest work environment possible, which shipbreaking isn’t going to be even if sweeping changes were made. Just get rid of the additional debt when you use it!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I mean there is a simple solution, the writers could have just have their story say that the fee was the problem and not the process itself!

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Is the process itself the problem? It's been a while since I played the game, but I seem to recall a big sticking point there was that Lynx had total rights to your DNA as part of the process. Typical boilerplate to give them all rights to do whatever they felt like with it.
It kinda seemed like the process in itself was normalized enough to just 'be a part of insurance', the issue was all the insane loving poo poo Lynx was doing to ensure that they could exploit and abuse every part of it, on top of trying to lock everyone into being perpetual wage slaves.

I don't think anyone was particularly pissed about being able to pop out of the goo tubes after dying. (Philosophical arguments about 'is the person that popped out of the clone vat you, anyhow?' aside.)
I'm kinda surprised they never touched on the aspect that they could probably adjust new clones. Plenty of body-horror/existential-horror to wring out of companies being able to rewrite your brain at will. (Or having 'illegitimate' clones of yourself about, because you're so good at your job.)

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Bussamove posted:

I mean to be fair “we have the technology to bring you back to life if you die” seems like a pretty good employment perk even if it’s the safest work environment possible, which shipbreaking isn’t going to be even if sweeping changes were made. Just get rid of the additional debt when you use it!

My only question is can I, the original Me, sign some form to create a half dozen clone me's and consign them to a career of backbreaking labor that I may benefit from?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Arrath posted:

My only question is can I, the original Me, sign some form to create a half dozen clone me's and consign them to a career of backbreaking labor that I may benefit from?

goddammit, no more games about fatherhood, i beg you

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's another thing, just about any other story the setting suggests is more compelling that the one they did

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Arrath posted:

Kiln People But In Space. When the shift is done they just lunch themselves into the processor!

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
The way they acquire your DNA for the cloning is by physically destroying your original body while you are conscious, which I have to assume they didn't tell you about beforehand. The thing in the tapes isn't just "haha we can clone you if you die and that's evil for some reason," it's "I have absolute control over your life and death so I'm going to delete your backup and intentionally let you die because you're unionizing." Using the company's practice of taping all communications (including personal ones) against the company isn't hypocritical on the part of the union. Nothing major changing in the end is explicitly part of the story, and I think that's fine. The all-powerful capitalist entity was able to do damage control in a "gosh we had no idea what middle management was doing" kind of way

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cleretic posted:

Drakengard had like 5 endings and expected you to do some really insane poo poo like standing in a corner for many minutes to unlock a weapon so you could attain some of those weapons.

I don't think it's a matter of them thinking the story was great; that's just how those games were.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Nuebot posted:

Drakengard had like 5 endings and expected you to do some really insane poo poo like standing in a corner for many minutes to unlock a weapon so you could attain some of those weapons.

I don't think it's a matter of them thinking the story was great; that's just how those games were.

I'll take standing in a corner like a Blair Witch victim over having to play Blitzball over and over for a weapon.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Dienes posted:

I'll take standing in a corner like a Blair Witch victim over having to play Blitzball over and over for a weapon.

I was about to say I can't believe I dodged 100 lightning bolts

E:oh God it was 200

Opopanax has a new favorite as of 01:52 on Jan 8, 2024

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nuebot posted:

The reason is that Yoko Taro hates completionists.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I've been enjoying the 2D Zelda clone Blossom Tales 2 this past week. But in the (I assume) final main area, I'm pretty tired of it respawning enemies every time you move off a map tile. I prefer the usual Zelda approach of having areas remain clear until you move into some distinct other area. It's not spoiling the game or anything, just being kinda tedious as I get into the later game, where I'm confusedly wandering around through places a bunch of times figuring out puzzles.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

Also kind of the point is that Kratos is trying to kill as few Gods as possible because he knows it's needless because most of them are trying to get better, Odin's just not letting them - Thor recognises that Magni and Modi's deaths in the first game are due partially to his actions as an abusive alcoholic, so he and Sif are trying to get off the booze and be a more attentive and kind parent to their remaining child. The gods that end up dying are invariably portrayed as a tragic failure, the one god he does end up killing is purely because he keeps giving the guy an out and he's too proud to take it, so keeps goading him until he has no choice but to end him. The Norns even make fun of Kratos' journey in Ragnarok when Freya tries to defend his killing of her son as not out of anger, and they're just like "Should I give him a crown then? He still kills Gods, but now he's sad about it?" which is generally a really fun scene.

The plot has a lot of explanations for why you can't do fun stuff I guess.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Arrath posted:

You should play Citizen Sleeper

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

The Lone Badger posted:

The reason is that Yoko Taro hates completionists.

It's still hilarious that Nier Automata just outright lets you buy achievements from an in-game shop.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Schubalts posted:

It's still hilarious that Nier Automata just outright lets you buy achievements from an in-game shop.

I love that there is an achievement to get a million credits and the cost of buying it in the shop is a million credits

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
There’s been a resurgence in popularity for Monster Hunter World, so I decided to check it out again. Game is still great but it’s a little rough transitioning back from Rise.

- It’s difficult getting used to the lack of mobility again. I think both game styles are great for different reasons but going from having multiple dashes to basically nothing as a hammer is rough.
- Having to hit resource nodes three times is a stupid time waste.
- oh god what are decorations again?
- my hp bar looks so small and I miss my dog :(
- The original hub, while pretty, is not well laid out. The expansion hub is better but I don’t like the winter camp aesthetic.

There is the return of actual food in the pre-hunt meals instead of a constant trail of Dango, which I was more excited about than I was expecting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Dienes posted:

The best part about X's stupid celestial weapons is that most of them kind of sucked and you could just craft better weapons.

Schubalts posted:

It's great and I wish more games would do it.