Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

probably too late, but how about "Doc Chill Pill"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

S.D. posted:

probably too late, but how about "Doc Chill Pill"

You could also try Dr. Cool Ampoule.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Be the Chiller Piller.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
(The) Cool Doctor. Perhaps get bigger sunglasses

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
The only thing stopping me from playing is that you can't use a game controller. Back in the day I had a PC and desk like normal, now I have my lap top hooked to a TV and chill out in bed, keyboard and mouse is not viable.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Soonmot posted:

The only thing stopping me from playing is that you can't use a game controller. Back in the day I had a PC and desk like normal, now I have my lap top hooked to a TV and chill out in bed, keyboard and mouse is not viable.

They added controller support.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Oh drat, has anyone tried it out?

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
I don't know how CoH slipped under my radar for so many years, but the amount of potential alone in making characters that make people feel physical pain when they see them is fantastic.

Got some incredibly funny DM's groaning about this:

I mostly rolled characters on Excelsior, but it seems they enabled 200% xp and some cool invasion things on other servers? Out of those which would be the best.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
200% xp is just a thing you can set now, visit the "P2W" vendor in Atlas, Mercy, Pocket D, Firebase Zulu, etc

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Flesh Forge posted:

200% xp is just a thing you can set now, visit the "P2W" vendor in Atlas, Mercy, Pocket D, Firebase Zulu, etc

There's a note on the launcher that said there doing another passive 200% on a few of the lesser populated servers.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

Diephoon posted:

I was gonna say something suggesting you chill out, but now i want to make an ice themed doctor named Chill Pill. Thank you for the inspiration. (There's no chance this name hasn't been taken)

e: rip

:D

I love puns.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

John Murdoch posted:

They added controller support.

Going to have to look for a guide, movement and targeting is fine, but I can't seem to map my tray buttons to trigger+ or dpad+, which means I only have 4 powers to use

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Noise Complaint posted:

There's a note on the launcher that said there doing another passive 200% on a few of the lesser populated servers.

Heh I guess they're doing that for nostalgia's sake :allears:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Does the new content they're working on involve new costume pieces? I'll come back when I have some new fashion to work with.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I think they said earlier that the tools to create and import correctly formatted model/texture content simply do not exist any more.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Soonmot posted:

Going to have to look for a guide, movement and targeting is fine, but I can't seem to map my tray buttons to trigger+ or dpad+, which means I only have 4 powers to use

Here's the original development thread on how they're setting up controllers to work. It looks like you should be able to set the triggers to be controller_modifiers and the four d-pad directions to be extra_modifiers, and then you can configure keybinds that combine them with some other button press, though you can only use one modifier per keybind. (In the sense that the other modifier will be interpreted as a regular key, so you could bind something to ltrigger + dpadup but not ltrigger + dpadup + joy1.)

As a bonus, hitting the two controller_modifiers at the same time will turn on a virtual mouse mode.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 7, 2024

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
nice, thanks for that, google was useless and I got no responses in the discord

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Soonmot posted:

nice, thanks for that, google was useless and I got no responses in the discord

Yeah, the new changes don't often get the kind of external/searchable documentation you'd expect.

Also, if you wanted to get a little bit fancy with it and only had 40 buttons worth of powers/macros you needed easy access to, you could set up the triggers + bumpers and use the 6x2 popup trays as kind of a reference for the d-pad and button pad:

The inspirations are macros that pop the smallest to biggest one of that kind that I have using macro images.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Oh cool, I was hoping to get something like the FFXIV controller set up, but I don't have anymore mental bandwidth to experiment today. That's good to see

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Freakazoid_ posted:

Does the new content they're working on involve new costume pieces? I'll come back when I have some new fashion to work with.

They added a poo poo ton of new costume customization.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
You underestimate how badly Freakazoid requires new costume parts.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
I haven't played this game in forever, what's a good place to start? Are masterminds still decent solo?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

TwoDice posted:

I haven't played this game in forever, what's a good place to start? Are masterminds still decent solo?

Yes, but I wouldn't recommend a Mastermind for a new or new-ish player, they play really different from everyone else and are weak at low levels.

Just go with a brute or blaster like everyone else.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Mesadoram posted:

They added a poo poo ton of new costume customization.

They also unlocked every costume piece from the start. No more grinding Vanguard Merits for those pieces.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Did they ever fix undead mastermind so that it wasn't much worse than all the other choices?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Spanish Matlock posted:

Did they ever fix undead mastermind so that it wasn't much worse than all the other choices?

A zombie MM plays like a controller... weak on damage but plenty of mez and debuff. It's ninjas and mercs that need some love.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Freakazoid_ posted:

Well, you can permanently display weapons on your body and split-assign some things that were previously symmetrical, like shoulders, boots, and gloves. You can also have a trail aura and a body aura at the same time.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Gynovore posted:

Yes, but I wouldn't recommend a Mastermind for a new or new-ish player, they play really different from everyone else and are weak at low levels.

Just go with a brute or blaster like everyone else.

Stalkers are hella fun and probably the chillest new player experience you could ask for, you have very high stealth so you can pick your fights and nobody really expects anything from you in teams so you can just do what you like as long as you look busy

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

TwoDice posted:

MM's seem like a complicated class to start with. Probably the trickiest class to start out with IMO. In terms of learning the game? I'd have to recommend any of the original classes that launched with the game (Scrapper, Controller, Tanker, Blaster, and Defender). Out of those, Controllers can be the trickiest due to pet management (which is fairly down the leveling line). The other classes are pretty straight forward in terms of what they bring to a team/solo situation. The villain class equivalents have slightly more going on, but not a ton. MMs would be the best-fit equivalent to controllers, so they are a bit trickier.

Tankers got massively buffed, they are pretty OP. They made Brutes fairly irrelevant with the Tanker changes.

I keep forgetting about EATs (VEATs are pretty darn boss TBH) and the class they introduced, Sentinels. Sentinels are...meh IMO.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I haven't played in ages, but I remember some defense changes a while back and I'm wondering how they affect my one built-out incarnate character since I'm not entirely clear on what exactly changed. He's a Corrupter using Scorpion Shield and sets to softcap SLE defenses. Is that still a decent way to go or should I be looking at some different sets now?

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
Someone can look up the details in the patch notes or the homecoming wiki, but they actually did fiddle with some of the Mastermind primaries last year.

I know that Ninja MMs can now slot the upgrade powers with defense buff enhancements, and that'll boost the minions when it's used on them.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

I haven't played in ages, but I remember some defense changes a while back and I'm wondering how they affect my one built-out incarnate character since I'm not entirely clear on what exactly changed. He's a Corrupter using Scorpion Shield and sets to softcap SLE defenses. Is that still a decent way to go or should I be looking at some different sets now?

Basically - they narrowed down every power in the game to have 1-2 types (usually a positional and an element). You should be fine.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Also: are most people here on Excelsior still?

S.D. posted:

Basically - they narrowed down every power in the game to have 1-2 types (usually a positional and an element). You should be fine.

Cool, thanks. I don't mind buying new sets but if what I already have is good, I'll spend that inf on other characters instead.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Spanish Matlock posted:

Necro, ninja, mercs and robots all got pretty substantial buffs to the minion powers and personal attacks at a point to bring them up to the level of Demons/Thugs. Beasts is maybe the only set that's still clearly lacking.

Necro in particular has a new mechanic where your blast attacks summon temporary pets, it's pretty neat.

Harrow posted:

In essence they just tried to make life harder for that specific type of build. Attacks check only against the leading type of defense as opposed to any damage type -- so previously a cold/lethal/ranged blast now checks against cold/ranged and ignores lethal. In practice, it's still hard to tell aside from the occasional one-off mob who can cut straight through your defenses which can be the occasional problem... but also players are typically offensive powerhouses to the point where it doesn't matter much, especially in team play. If you're really concerned you can build for ranged defense and just hover your way to victory.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Abroham Lincoln posted:

In essence they just tried to make life harder for that specific type of build. Attacks check only against the leading type of defense as opposed to any damage type -- so previously a cold/lethal/ranged blast now checks against cold/ranged and ignores lethal. In practice, it's still hard to tell aside from the occasional one-off mob who can cut straight through your defenses which can be the occasional problem... but also players are typically offensive powerhouses to the point where it doesn't matter much, especially in team play. If you're really concerned you can build for ranged defense and just hover your way to victory.

Yeah I assume it's less of a big deal since at least on this character I'm not focusing much on soloing.

But also I'm not opposed to building ranged defense and hovering if it would be better, since I'm already using hover as one of my defensives (along with Scorpion Shield, Weave, and Shadow Fall). I should probably just post my build on the Homecoming forums for some feedback since I've been out of the loop for years at this point.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

Abroham Lincoln posted:

If you're really concerned you can build for ranged defense and just hover your way to victory.

Unless you're fighting Arachnos Mu, where their lightning attacks are pure energy and nothing else.

Mainly my objection to them doing this was that it's a bunch a busywork but also that they're making changes based on lore/thematic things.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

Abroham Lincoln posted:

but also players are typically offensive powerhouses to the point where it doesn't matter much

It's still an incredibly prevalent (and wrong) mindset for people to bore their opponents to death. If it's dead, it can't hit you. That's mitigation. It's also CC. Not sure why this is a hard concept for people to get. You'll notice your best builds get *enough* mitigation then focus on increasing DPS output.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Glazius posted:

Here's the original development thread on how they're setting up controllers to work. It looks like you should be able to set the triggers to be controller_modifiers and the four d-pad directions to be extra_modifiers, and then you can configure keybinds that combine them with some other button press, though you can only use one modifier per keybind. (In the sense that the other modifier will be interpreted as a regular key, so you could bind something to ltrigger + dpadup but not ltrigger + dpadup + joy1.)

As a bonus, hitting the two controller_modifiers at the same time will turn on a virtual mouse mode.

I'm just too much of a dummy to figure this out.

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/23376-focused-feedback-enhanced-gamepad-support-interact-and-other-commands/#comment-278368 in that thread has a nice set up that mimics the ffxiv style of controller layout but I can't get it to work. I've copied the binds over that are supposed to allow the triggers and bumpers to function as modifiers, but whenever I try to set the keybinds to a tray slot in the keybind menu, only one button ever shows up.

Setting a bind in an alt tray is the same thing, only "alt + controller button 1"

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Soonmot posted:

I'm just too much of a dummy to figure this out.

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/23376-focused-feedback-enhanced-gamepad-support-interact-and-other-commands/#comment-278368 in that thread has a nice set up that mimics the ffxiv style of controller layout but I can't get it to work. I've copied the binds over that are supposed to allow the triggers and bumpers to function as modifiers, but whenever I try to set the keybinds to a tray slot in the keybind menu, only one button ever shows up.

Setting a bind in an alt tray is the same thing, only "alt + controller button 1"

Oh! Whoops, I didn't know how deep you were already in the keybinding.

You actually want to do it with a slash command. /bind <button combination> <game command>

You can use powexec_tray <slot number> <tray number> - for example powexec_tray 8 1 will execute power number 8 in tray 1. Or powexec_name <power name> to execute a power by its full name, which should go in quotes - powexec_name "Dreadful Wail". They've also added a way to automatically specify a location for location-targeted powers - powexec_location target "Freezing Rain" will try to start a freezing rain patch at your current target's coordinates.

So you should be able to, to use one example in my sample there,
/bind joy5+joy1 powexec_name "Ice Shield"
/bind joy5+joy1 powexec_tray 3 7
both for the same result

Glazius fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'd much rather do the tray position so I can just have a set of universal binds. Can I put these in a txt file and load them like mastermind binds?

Currently I'm using my pillows as a lovely desk to do m+kb lol

edit: Oh yeah, is there a diagram that shows what the various buttons are called for bind use?

edit 2: FOund it https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Xbox_360_Button_Mapping

What was messing me up is that the binding terminology is different than what the in game menu shows if you try to assign controller buttons the way you would assign keyboard keys. Now I think I'll be able to do this tomorrow.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 8, 2024