Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
I can’t believe Daybreak has been acknowledged again after nearly 70 chapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Fecha posted:

I feel like there’s going to be another shoe dropping with the grandparents. Maybe the son they moved back into the city is going to become involved in the spy work or something.

I read a lot of people theorizing that he was involved in the project that created Anya and the government wiped his memory Men In Black style when the project was over. It'd fit with his memory from his time in the war being missing. I hope it isn't true though because this chapter was very cute and I like that Anya actually has a teacher that can engage her on her own level.

That said, if their son was Daybreak I would not object because more Daybreak is always welcome.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Fecha posted:

I feel like there’s going to be another shoe dropping with the grandparents. Maybe the son they moved back into the city is going to become involved in the spy work or something.

Their son is Daybreak.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I love that Twilight is utterly confounded by Daybreak he has no idea who this man is or ultimately what his goals are despite Daybreak being the kind of guy that seems to loudly announce his presence to the room.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Electric Phantasm posted:

I love that Twilight is utterly confounded by Daybreak he has no idea who this man is or ultimately what his goals are despite Daybreak being the kind of guy that seems to loudly announce his presence to the room.

Only an utter fool would believe the obvious lies a skilled operative spouted, and Lloid is no fool. Daybreak is, though.

What was that phrase? The best swordsman need not fear the second best but the last of the amateurs, for the former has no idea what the idiot will try to do and said idiot might just get lucky.
E:although I think the saying would work better with "a middle of the pack pro" instead of "the second best", the skill gap isn't going to be that big against the second best

Omobono fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 24, 2023

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Love the grandparents and there's a bunch of amazing Anya scenes in this one. Great chapter.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Anya confidently explaining to the headmaster that she drew her facial hair on with permanent marker so it wouldn't wash off was extremely choice.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Have we seen Anya read the old couple's minds?

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

ccubed posted:

Not as a couple but the whole plot with them got kicked off because she read Sigmund's mind assuming he was a spy only to discover he was lost

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

ccubed posted:

We've seen her read Sigmund's mind in their introduction. Tiny catch: he's going senile, and she can't really understand what he's thinking.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I think I got it.

Sigmund was Indiana Jones.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
"No way is that moron gonna beat me. No way!"

Damian's doomed.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

Supersonic Shine posted:

"No way is that moron gonna beat me. No way!"

Damian's doomed.

One of his cronies is gonna get the top spot but Anya's STILL gonna beat Damian's score.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Flair posted:

What if they are Anya's actual grandparents by blood?

I wonder if I should infer further and believe Sigmund is involved with the unnamed project that imbued Anya with her mind reading abilities.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Once you're part of the spy family, you have to have a deadly secret.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

grandpa's deadly secret is that his students slowly turn into him

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Flair posted:

I wonder if I should infer further and believe Sigmund is involved with the unnamed project that imbued Anya with her mind reading abilities.

This is the implication I'm getting

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Some Numbers posted:

This is the implication I'm getting

Like it's Anya's turn. Everyone else has gone a little into their backstory now. Plus we had that weird extra chapter 2 chapters ago.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The twist: Anya doesn't actually have psychic powers, she just has an overactive imagination that makes her think she understands everything.

The DOUBLE twist: Anya having an overactive imagination doesn't mean her parents are not a spy and assassin so despite everything she ends up guessing right thanks to a diet of bad television shows and Becky's various ramblings.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
That would suck and be bad

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That's just the premise of Shadow Eminence

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

The DOUBLE twist: Anya having an overactive imagination doesn't mean her parents are not a spy and assassin so despite everything she ends up guessing right thanks to a diet of bad television shows and Becky's various ramblings.

The Eminence in Grade School

e: poo poo, beaten

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

What if none of this is real and it was all just a story made up by some manga artist in his 40's instead?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

The twist: Anya doesn't actually have psychic powers, she just has an overactive imagination that makes her think she understands everything.

I know you are probably joking but that would not be fun for me fam. I'd rather keep that light supernatural element in since that ties her relations with Bond the future sight dog alongside the actual mystery of Anya's past.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

What if none of this is real and it was all just a story made up by some manga artist in his 40's instead?

:psyboom:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

he can also read minds (unrelated)

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

ImpAtom posted:

Bond can’t see the future and is in fact a time travelling dog, Anya is just seeing his memories of his visits to other timelines.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bond is in fact a cat wearing a dog disguise

narm00
Feb 18, 2006
Mission 93: Anya's results are in, and there are a lot of weird faces for this one.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
One big takeaway: there is some way, either learned or innate, to close off your thoughts to Anya's telepathy. Clearly Demetrius doesn't know about Anya or her telepathy, but her ability isn't infallible

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
There's also the possibility that he simply isn't thinking anything. Which is terrifying in it's own way, but he might just not have an internal life for her to pick up on. It's not like she can't read him at all, it's just that he seems to default to emptiness when the world doesn't prod him to action.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mulva posted:

There's also the possibility that he simply isn't thinking anything. Which is terrifying in it's own way, but he might just not have an internal life for her to pick up on. It's not like she can't read him at all, it's just that he seems to default to emptiness when the world doesn't prod him to action.

Donovan has 100% been loving around with his eldest son's brain. The fact that he used to watch him study so intently and now ignores him now he knows his machine-child works and can operate independently seems like conclusive evidence of this.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Loid being an exasperated dad is always a good time

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

It could also be just regular ol' abuse. One of his thoughts is about being unable to understand his dad, and the fact Desmond apparently kept watch of him when studying could mean some experiment related to Anya or that he basically mentally broke his son to this point. We know Desmond is a bit hosed from his short convo with Loid.

Which makes Melinda's distancing even sadder/darker, it's very possible she keeps her distance from Damian because she wants him as far as possible from his dad to make sure neither her darker thoughts or Desmond hinself can hurt him.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mulva posted:

he's clearly thinking things occasionally, when people interact with him, but when he's just minding his own business he is literally No Thoughts Head Empty

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Donovan has 100% been loving around with his eldest son's brain. The fact that he used to watch him study so intently and now ignores him now he knows his machine-child works and can operate independently seems like conclusive evidence of this.

Alternatively, Donovan did gently caress with his son's head but not 100% intentionally. We know Donovan has this philosophy that people cannot understand each other so maybe his proximity was an attempt to understand what was going through his son's head and in the end he concluded/reinforced that it was impossible. But doing so had unfortunate effects on Demetrius because his dad is a freaking weirdo.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
He could also just think in a different way. Take Sakamoto where the mind reader has trouble with the sniper because his thoughts are crayon drawings.

Very sweet chapter. Time for grandpa and grandma to spoil her.

More interestingly, why is she good at classical language?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Captain Invictus posted:

he's clearly thinking things occasionally, when people interact with him, but when he's just minding his own business he is literally No Thoughts Head Empty

Hell, :same:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Whatever Demetrius' deal turns out to be, one thing's for sure,

She ain't wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I do adore how Endo keeps the Star/Bolt dynamic at such an even pace in a realistic way. Anya getting the language star is wonderful on its own, but the logical conclusion of her fumbling the ball in math is just aces.