Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Can I stream from a PC to the Steam Deck but have the controllers connected to the Steam Deck directly? PC is in another part of the house to the TV. I had a steam link a long time ago that didn't work well, but hoping the technology has improved :)

I have yet to even try Steam streaming I'm afraid, not sure how that works. I suspect the answer is yes, since I presume the deck controls work, and they're not plugged to the streaming pc, but that's just a uninformed guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Can I stream from a PC to the Steam Deck but have the controllers connected to the Steam Deck directly? PC is in another part of the house to the TV. I had a steam link a long time ago that didn't work well, but hoping the technology has improved :)

I do literally this. I have been nerding out hard getting everything perfect with my “pc in the other part of the house” setup and it’s all doable, especially if you’re hard wired.

Get moonlight. It’s easy and amazing.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Can I stream from the deck to a PC? I know it seems contrary, but some games that would run on the deck wouldn't work on my PC due to the age of the PC.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

IAmTheRad posted:

Can I stream from the deck to a PC? I know it seems contrary, but some games that would run on the deck wouldn't work on my PC due to the age of the PC.

At that point I’d just get a dock.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Someone else posted this, but I’ll include the embed. Ukraine is using a Steam Deck to operate an automated turret.

https://x.com/mikeev/status/1743434520526041143?s=46

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Someone else posted this, but I’ll include the embed. Ukraine is using a Steam Deck to operate an automated turret.

Pit this against Saddam Husein’s PlayStation 2 guided missile system.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

The Slack Lagoon posted:

How well would a SteamDeck work for couch coop?

e: hooked up to a TV

My major secondary use case for my Steam Deck is as a glorified Steam Link for couch co-op and it works great with a JSAUX dock. We probably play something on it about twice a week and the experience is more or less as seamless as playing something on one of our consoles.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Detective No. 27 posted:

Or the US military's PS3 Beowulf Clusters.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Sorry, it embedded on the iOS app and I assumed it worked everywhere!

Do you think they used a screen protector?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

malnourish posted:

Wait, are people putting fingers on the triggers and shoulder buttons at the same time?

Index on bumper, middle on trigger, is this not the norm

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What the gently caress.

Index on trigger, move up to bumper as needed.

Gripping both is like that awful claw grip you had to use to play Monster Hunter on the PSP.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Annath posted:

What the gently caress.

Index on trigger, move up to bumper as needed.

Gripping both is like that awful claw grip you had to use to play Monster Hunter on the PSP.

Yeah this is why I hate when games have action buttons on bumper instead of trigger. Nintendo does it sometimes but sometimes not. Square too.

Having hands with the fingers on bumpers all the time is uncomfortable. Triggers feel nice

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah immortals fénix rising has the main attack on the right bumper and it’s dumb AF.

The game runs great on the deck and looks great though

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah immortals fénix rising has the main attack on the right bumper and it’s dumb AF.

Lol, I 100%ed this and three of the four dlcs

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Detective No. 27 posted:

Giving me flashbacks to when I worked at Best Buy when the PS2 dropped and we had to copy everyone's ID who bought a PS2 because of that poo poo.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

There are a bunch of games like that after Demon's Souls/Dark Souls came out. Though you can manage with one finger because you can't presumably perform a light attack and heavy attack at the same time.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Can't you use Steam input to change the buttons around? Assuming it has proper steam input support instead of just xinput

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Immortals fenix rising is 90% off on steam rn btw

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

IAmTheRad posted:

I do this all the time, go dl the steamlink app. Just fyi it's a pain in the rear end to find the dl for it

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The only game I ever did this for was returnal and it worked so good

Blasphemy otherwise

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Just tried out Tetris Effect on my OLED. Playing that in the dark with headphones might be as close to a religious experience I ever get, holy crap.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Play it in vr

King Boo
Feb 24, 2008

nihil novi sub sole
and then play rez infinite/area X in vr (also a mizuguchi game)

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

How is chorus it's like 7 bucks

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

:hmmyes:

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
How is Immortals Fenix Rising? The Steam review score is mediocre.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Quixzlizx posted:

It's a perfectly serviceable
We Have Breath of the Wild at Home game

The controls are weird to get used to and the combat is a little tedious sometimes but it has fun puzzles and traversal, and I like the art style.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Quixzlizx posted:

I think for the price it’s pretty good.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It's a perfectly serviceable
We Have Breath of the Wild at Home game

The controls are weird to get used to and the combat is a little tedious sometimes but it has fun puzzles and traversal, and I like the art style.

I agree with this. It also runs great.

The voice acting 5 hours in is pretty good too which makes it a bit more fun.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Decided to rethink my Steam Deck purchase timeline. It's still going to happen, just maybe not next week.

I will wait until after the items I'm selling on eBay will be delivered. Not just shipped. That way if I somehow run into a problem buyer who wants a refund or something, I will be able to fight against that, and if I lose, I won't suddenly be out the money from that buyer causing me to be in a bit of a bind financially. I literally have the money right now, but since those are savings for upcoming dental fees this year, it'd be a REALLY bad thing to be in debt by buying the deck prematurely.

Obviously if everything is fine, nobody says it's busted beyond what I have put in the description, then there'll be no issue. And if in the case a buyer doesn't live in Canada or the USA, it gives time for it to actually be delivered to them. Even if I miss the Jan 25 time of when I want to have the deck by.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ok

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'm glad he's keeping us in the loop on his blog

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Hey peeps what dinner do you prep before you decide to buy a deck?
Inquiring minds don't want to know

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Probably something light so I don’t get all tuckered out and accidentally have a little snooze right in the middle of the checkout process, that would be really inconvenient

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Slightly annoyed I am going to have to RMA my OLED deck. The right bumper has been making a spring noise when I touch it.

It presses fine but if I lightly touch it the spring seems to move around. It’s not broken yet but it seems like it’s going to be something that’s going to get worse over time.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I dunno I think it's kinda cute to see people write out their entire thought process. Godspeed, IAmTheRad. please don't buy a Deck if you can't really afford one.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Upsidads posted:

Hey peeps what dinner do you prep before you decide to buy a deck?
Inquiring minds don't want to know

Chili so your house will smell as good as the deck vents

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Quixzlizx posted:

I played it for a few hours but it had way too many Go Over Here moments to scratch that Breath of the Wild itch for me.

Then again I ultimately felt the same way about Tears of the Kingdom, though I logged a few more hours on that one.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Feel like a Steam deck noob because I have barely turned it on over the last couple years and haven't kept up with the scene.

I've collected tons of games from epic game store, twich prime, and itch.io bundles. What is the best way to play these on Steamdeck? My initial Googling suggest heroic launcher for epic and amazon and then figure out something else for itch.io. Is this correct?

The Grey fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 7, 2024

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

The Grey posted:

Feel like a Steam deck noon because I have barely turned it on over the last couple years and haven't kept up with the scene.

I've collected tons of games from epic game store, twich prime, and itch.io bundles. What is the best way to play these on Steamdeck? My initial Googling suggest heroic launcher for epic and amazon and then figure out something else for itch.io. Is this correct?

Basically. I've only really tried stuff from epic through heroic. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't or requires more tweaking though. Like I can get BioShock remastered installed and it'll launch on desktop but the controls don't work and it won't launch at all in game mode. Sometimes it's more fuckery than it's worth and steam has tricked me into only buying games through them now.

I believe there's a flat pack I used for itch on my previous deck. Again, only some games worked out of the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
Why did I torture myself by ordering a Steam Deck on a Friday afternoon, thus adding a weekend of waiting on top of the regular business day processing?!

I want my instant gratification, damnit!