Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Xabi posted:

Is there any notable difference between iPhone 14 and 15, beyond USB-C?

Massive performance increase in cameras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Xabi posted:

Is there any notable difference between iPhone 14 and 15, beyond USB-C?

If you mean the regular , as the other person said, camera. Also, the 15 has Dynamic Island which imo is worth the difference between the two.

If it’s the pros, I would get the 15 Pro, the 14 Pro battery seems to depreciate pretty quickly. Same issue could be there for the 15 Pro, but jury is of course still going to be out on that one.

I would get the 15 either way.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Dynamic Island is the dumbest thing ever. Apple still can’t engineer away the notch like the Android phone makers, so they made it a feature to have the notch be extra big. It’s come in useful for, like, a timer but nothing else, really.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Counterpoint: Dynamic Island

Is it necessary? No.

Do I like it? Yes. I think it works aesthetics wise.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Vegetable posted:

The Dynamic Island is the dumbest thing ever. Apple still can’t engineer away the notch like the Android phone makers, so they made it a feature to have the notch be extra big. It’s come in useful for, like, a timer but nothing else, really.

Didn't all the under screen camera phones from oppo or zte had incredibly bad front cameras? The notch might be inconvenient but if the alternative is useless front cameras i would take the notch.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Vegetable posted:

Face ID is really fast though tbf

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Vegetable posted:

Apple still can’t engineer away the notch like the Android phone makers

Pretty sure there’s no Android phones doing what the notch did under their screens?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

There are phones doing front cameras under the screens, but the cameras are worse and you also end up with a distractingly low res spot on your screen where it is.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

The Dave posted:

Pretty sure there’s no Android phones doing what the notch did under their screens?

Android phones with under screen cameras rely on under screen fingerprint systems, you cannot reliably do the IR projection if you have an active display over the projector.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah dynamic island is a dud for me. I hate accidentally tapping it. It’s not useful for anything really.

Battery life on the 15 pro max is insane though. Truly a two day battery performance for me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I like it a lot. Having timers and thermometers up there while cooking is v useful. Some of the other things are maybe less so, but I think it's a nice addition.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Can't believe Android hasn't been able to implement dynamic island yet.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

SlowBloke posted:

Massive performance increase in cameras.

Show me.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If only there existed a web site whose purpose was to talk up the features of a new product.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Vegetable posted:

Having my timers always be on screen is why it's the best thing they ever did to the notch :colbert:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

DXO rates the 15 just below the 14 pro at 145 points, compared to 133 for the 14. Detailed photo data can be found at https://www.dxomark.com/apple-iphone-15-camera-test/.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Video is a much bigger gap than photo thanks to ProRes + log, but having the HEIF and other raw options for photo is pretty big too.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

I just Googled and they say they expect distributions in January 2024. I checked my email and I did submit a claim for digital payment.

Fake edit: just checked my checking account and there’s a $92.17 deposit pending. :woop:

I barely remember doing it, but I just checked my email and in fact I DID submit a claim for this in July of 2020.

HOWEVER, I selected "mail me a check" as the payment option and I have since moved to a different address than the one they have in the settlement. :cry:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

OldSenileGuy posted:

I barely remember doing it, but I just checked my email and in fact I DID submit a claim for this in July of 2020.

HOWEVER, I selected "mail me a check" as the payment option and I have since moved to a different address than the one they have in the settlement. :cry:

Depending on how much work you want to put into it you could contact the people handling the settlement.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The difference in camera between the 14 and 15 is not massive, it's incremental. Between one generation, it almost always is only a slight improvement. They're just really good at marketing every new phone as having a ReVoLuTiOnArY NeW CaMeRa.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

HOLY gently caress!!

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Vegetable posted:

My biggest complaint about the dynamic island when it's in use for something is that I feel like a tap should expand the island and a long press should open the app it's showing data for instead of the other way around like they have it now.
My biggest complaint about the dynamic island in general is cinematic aspect ratios have a loving luggage tag loop cut out in them unless you shrink the video and have a tiny video in the middle of a sea of black.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Branch Nvidian posted:

My biggest complaint about the dynamic island when it's in use for something is that I feel like a tap should expand the island and a long press should open the app it's showing data for instead of the other way around like they have it now.
My biggest complaint about the dynamic island in general is cinematic aspect ratios have a loving luggage tag loop cut out in them unless you shrink the video and have a tiny video in the middle of a sea of black.

Is that a bullstrap case

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Soul Glo posted:

Is that a bullstrap case

Sure is.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

The difference in camera between the 14 and 15 is not massive, it's incremental. Between one generation, it almost always is only a slight improvement. They're just really good at marketing every new phone as having a ReVoLuTiOnArY NeW CaMeRa.

The 15 is the first time in more than six years where there has been a resolution change for the non-pro series, I wouldn't call it incremental.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The 5x zoom on the promax gives you image quality from 6 years ago, but at a 120mm equivalent focal length. That's a pretty big deal to me as I really dislike wide angles. I'd prefer the ultra-wide get deleted.

The fake 45mpx from the 1x camera genuinely produces good looking detail. It's still no pro camera but it's good enough that I'm content going out on hikes without packing my mirrorless, if I see something special happen I can still come home with a nice image.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The 14 has a 12mp camera and the 15 has 48mp. It's a pretty big change.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

American McGay posted:

HOLY gently caress!!

It’s the same picture

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Megapixels are meaningless marketing if it's still the same small sensors. You're not getting 4x more detail, you're just getting an image that's 4x bigger. It's just like how the phones might be capable of recording a video that has 4K resolution, but it isn't capturing 4K levels of detail in the same way a professional video camera would.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, especially since this is really just 12 with some tricks with the pixels.

"Long story short though a 12MP quad bayer sensor does have more photosites (not pixels!) than a normal 12MP camera. However those extra photosites are going towards dynamic range and noise performance, not detail."

There is a benefit but it's not the same as going to a true 48mp image.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Branch Nvidian posted:

Yeah this has obscured stuff in videos for me and I don’t like it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Branch Nvidian posted:

I hate this so much I can’t imagine how there are designers who think this is acceptable user experience. I’ve just been shrinking my videos instead.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

They really should just spread the FaceID parts out across as small of an upper bezel as they can and then add a lower bezel of equal thickness with a front-firing speaker. Stop trying to design around this problem and just design the problem to stop being one.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Get rid of Face ID and put Touch ID in the side button (or action button!), problem solved

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

illcendiary posted:

Get rid of Face ID and put Touch ID in the side button (or action button!), problem solved

lol great joke that would be miserable

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I like face id

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
Face ID and tapback are loving godsends in the winter

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

illcendiary posted:

Guillotine.

FaceID4LYFE

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Any recommendations for a Bluetooth car speaker/mic for use with an iPhone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I don't know why Apple doesn't have Face and Touch ID. Throw it on the power button.