Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Fil5000 posted:

Original System Shock is the worst HUD I've played 15 hours with. Just an ugly claustrophobic mess.

First thing you should do on starting it up is press 2, which switches from this:

To this:

And if you find the MFDs along the bottom too cluttered still, you can always hide them when you aren't using them. (You are wrong to do so, but it is an option.)

And if you're talking ugly, claustrophobic messes, even SS1's halfscreen mode has nothing on its predecessor:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

ToxicFrog posted:

First thing you should do on starting it up is press 2, which switches from this:

To this:

And if you find the MFDs along the bottom too cluttered still, you can always hide them when you aren't using them. (You are wrong to do so, but it is an option.)

And if you're talking ugly, claustrophobic messes, even SS1's halfscreen mode has nothing on its predecessor:

My PC back in the 90s wasn't good enough to run it without the HUD (I had to have doom in a couple of notches smaller window as well). But I totally agree on Ultima Underworld being worse (I think 2 was just as bad).

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

Let's remember that it isn't that the designers at the time thought filling half the screen with UI was 'good' for the experience, it was required for the games to work, they couldn't move otherwise in the computers at the time.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Playing some Quake custom maps, you know I like Quake but it irks me how the bestiary is just... lesser compared to Doom, the enemies aren't that inspired and just don't work as well as Doom's for various reasons.

Thinking about it its actually insane how incredibly well done Doom 2's enemy design is, almost everything just slots in perfectly and has a role to play that allows for all kinds of unique combat encounters. Its not for nothing that for almost 30 years people have been able to create an almost infinite variation of encounters with the core Doom enemy roster of like 18 different monsters in 1000s of different maps, there's not much like it, even other classic shooters like Quake, Duke Nukem and Blood don't have quite the same rock solid enemy design as Doom. Just the arch-vile alone probably deserves an entire essay on how its a genius bit of game design, one of the best enemies I can think of in any game I've ever played.

Its also interesting to see what people come up with when they add in new custom enemies in Doom and Quake as well between things like Eviternity or Alkaline, generally it feels like this works better in Quake than Doom though where there are more gaps that can be filled.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Nothing beats the original Marathon when it comes to how a HUD should be - noisy, belabored, physically diegetic and two-thirds of the motherfucking screen :colbert:

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

This the thread for Blood West? Picked it up now that it's out of early access and having a lot of fun. The stealth system is simple but sharp and the weapons are all really satisfying, im mostly rolling melee with a six shooter for oh poo poo moments.

It's pretty easy so far, getting melee headshots is easy and the range on it seems to be farther than the monsters, but could imagine it getting more difficult. I like how much inspiration it takes from Dark Souls/Bloodborne and Blood.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I've just reached Act 3 of Blood West and I'm loving it, the game scratches most of the immsim itches that I've had since (and through) Deathloop. Even the dying penalty isn't that bad once you get a bit of a gold coin stockpile going.

If I had one complaint, it would be that the weapons are imbalanced - I'm still using a revolver from Act 1 because there are no improved ones in 2 despite the shop selling a revolver-centric relic, bows seem awful and the tomahawk's inability to crit/do stealth attacks from throwing paired with their inaccuracy make them absolutely worthless. Thankfully the guns make up for most of that, especially with how meaty their sounds are - firing a rifle sounds like firing a cannon.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 7, 2024

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

DoombatINC posted:

Nothing beats the original Marathon when it comes to how a HUD should be - noisy, belabored, physically diegetic and two-thirds of the motherfucking screen :colbert:

Anything that’s static hud is pixels your 68030 doesn’t have to rasterize :ssh:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

DoombatINC posted:

Sick Winamp skin

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

haveblue posted:

Anything that’s static hud is pixels your 68030 doesn’t have to rasterize :ssh:

And bless it for that, since it helps those Motorolas achieve nearly twenty frames per second, sometimes! Vrrrrooooom, that's the sound of me making computer-go noises while the room progressively smells more and more like ozone

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

As somebody who dislikes feet, PO'ed's HUD having feet on it most of the time repulsed me greatly.

A likely story, Mr. Tarantino.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Barudak posted:

Thats incredible to know. I noticed Laser Eyes stood out, but I assumed (incorrectly) it was the "tutorial" chapter as enemies seemed to have less health and defense and there were no secrets.

Also according the Quake Wiki the CG on your drop ship might stand for Color Graphics. Dont feel bad though at least you signed your dropship unlike some of those other chuckles

lol I tried to find this, and apparently there's a second page for the episode that doesn't have this text: https://quake.fandom.com/wiki/Operation:_Laser_Eyes

But if you go to all caps operation: https://quake.fandom.com/wiki/OPERATION:_Laser_Eyes you get this completely wrong and made up nonsense:

quote:

Based on the crashed pod, this Marine's callsign is "CG".
There is also a rainbow in the background behind the callsign; currently unknown if this is meant to reference anything, or if it's just a design choice.
It's possible that the callsign stands for "Color Graphics" as older televisions, cameras and other visual devices had a rainbow badge on them to signify they can display color instead of black and white.

The first two parts lines were added by someone with 500 edits, so god knows what else is spread across the site, the Color Graphics was added by someone with 1 other edit 4 years ago.

Fandom! :allears:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

spongeh posted:

lol I tried to find this, and apparently there's a second page for the episode that doesn't have this text: https://quake.fandom.com/wiki/Operation:_Laser_Eyes

But if you go to all caps operation: https://quake.fandom.com/wiki/OPERATION:_Laser_Eyes you get this completely wrong and made up nonsense:

The first two parts lines were added by someone with 500 edits, so god knows what else is spread across the site, the Color Graphics was added by someone with 1 other edit 4 years ago.

Fandom! :allears:

at least it's not a metaphor for circumcision

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Convex posted:

at least it's not a metaphor for circumcision

Check the page again, I made the edit to reflect that CG ACTUALLY means “circumcised genitals.”

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

When it comes to liking big HUDs* I always have to give a shout-out to Zero Tolerance for the Mega Drive/Genesis.

*I can not lie

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

my bony fealty posted:

This the thread for Blood West? Picked it up now that it's out of early access and having a lot of fun. The stealth system is simple but sharp and the weapons are all really satisfying, im mostly rolling melee with a six shooter for oh poo poo moments.

It's pretty easy so far, getting melee headshots is easy and the range on it seems to be farther than the monsters, but could imagine it getting more difficult. I like how much inspiration it takes from Dark Souls/Bloodborne and Blood.

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, I've just reached Act 3 of Blood West and I'm loving it, the game scratches most of the immsim itches that I've had since (and through) Deathloop. Even the dying penalty isn't that bad once you get a bit of a gold coin stockpile going.

If I had one complaint, it would be that the weapons are imbalanced - I'm still using a revolver from Act 1 because there are no improved ones in 2 despite the shop selling a revolver-centric relic, bows seem awful and the tomahawk's inability to crit/do stealth attacks from throwing paired with their inaccuracy make them absolutely worthless. Thankfully the guns make up for most of that, especially with how meaty their sounds are - firing a rifle sounds like firing a cannon.

I was a headshotting machine with the bow and tomahawks, but it took a fair amount of practice before I figured out the arc/trajectory at various distances. And once you invest some points into the throwing weapons skill (which also allows you to equip more tomahawks) they're a real force of nature. If anything, the weakness of tomahawks is that it's too easy to send one hurtling off a cliff or somewhere inaccessible, and it can be difficult to find replacements for them.

Regarding handguns, I forget the name but I found the weapons based on the Volcanic Arms repeating pistol to be adequate replacements for the Act 1 revolvers: they're higher capacity and I think they do more damage (and maybe higher crit chance?)

Mordja posted:

A likely story, Mr. Tarantino.

:ninja:

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

khwarezm posted:

Playing some Quake custom maps, you know I like Quake but it irks me how the bestiary is just... lesser compared to Doom, the enemies aren't that inspired and just don't work as well as Doom's for various reasons.

Thinking about it its actually insane how incredibly well done Doom 2's enemy design is, almost everything just slots in perfectly and has a role to play that allows for all kinds of unique combat encounters. Its not for nothing that for almost 30 years people have been able to create an almost infinite variation of encounters with the core Doom enemy roster of like 18 different monsters in 1000s of different maps, there's not much like it, even other classic shooters like Quake, Duke Nukem and Blood don't have quite the same rock solid enemy design as Doom. Just the arch-vile alone probably deserves an entire essay on how its a genius bit of game design, one of the best enemies I can think of in any game I've ever played.

Its also interesting to see what people come up with when they add in new custom enemies in Doom and Quake as well between things like Eviternity or Alkaline, generally it feels like this works better in Quake than Doom though where there are more gaps that can be filled.

Yeah… Quake was a big, thrilling change from Doom II on a lot of fronts but its bestiary was bound to feel threadbare by comparison. I think the first big, organized effort to address its shortcomings was Quoth, with its absolute shithouse gaggle of new monsters that featured so prominently in Arcane Dimensions. Alkaline hits a different spot, but I respect how loving mean it is.

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 7, 2024

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

khwarezm posted:

It's probably the best FPS roster ever. Of the nu-shooters, Dusk feels like it's probably the best. Hrot had pretty good enemies with different roles too it feels

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Sick Winamp skin

czg
Dec 17, 2005
hi

Arivia posted:

Check the page again, I made the edit to reflect that CG ACTUALLY means “circumcised genitals.”

I'm changing my story. This is canon now.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I've been playing through ROTT Ludicrous Edition, Darian is really annoying because it is very hard to actually hit him with a missile before his iframes start in his disappearing sequence.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's probably the best FPS roster ever. Of the nu-shooters, Dusk feels like it's probably the best. Hrot had pretty good enemies with different roles too it feels

HROT and Cultic both had really solid rosters. The only thing Cultic was really missing was an enemy that could drop the magnum rounds, but even then that's more of an issue with ammo and not an enemy variety issue.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

czg posted:

Excellent, I even have a citation. Word of god right from the source!

Will you also agree with me that the second drop pod contains Pyramid Head, therefore he can be captured and Stroggified and make my erotic fanfiction possible? Please? It would mean so much to me and the 4 readers of my 1,200,000 word magnum opus “Silent Rocket Jump II”

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

czg posted:

:ohno:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h6fOQil5-s

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Neat, I'll replay HL2 when this comes out. Been way too long.

It is impressive how good the og game still looks. Art direction goes a hell of a long way.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Arivia posted:

Excellent, I even have a citation. Word of god right from the source!

Will you also agree with me that the second drop pod contains Pyramid Head, therefore he can be captured and Stroggified and make my erotic fanfiction possible? Please? It would mean so much to me and the 4 readers of my 1,200,000 word magnum opus “Silent Rocket Jump II”

Important question, will the stroggification involve circumcision?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Fil5000 posted:

Important question, will the stroggification involve circumcision?

I had to look up the Stroggification video to refresh my memory; I'm inclined to say yes. At least, that's what I assume the milking(?) machine is doing in the cutscene when it latches on to the player's junk

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
this convo is getting weird

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

site posted:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Please don't milk the Strogg.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

site posted:

If you don't understand that Silent Hill is about circumcision I don't know what to tell you.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

This looks great, it's nice seeing RTX added to an engine that was already doing very realistic lighting for the time, but just didn't have this level of technology available. And the model upgrades look nice so far too.

It'll be great for my replay in about 10 years when I can actually run it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

OK but did they hire FakeFactory? What's Alyx look like?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Mordja posted:

Like Adriana Lima in a dark alleyway

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Super Mario Bros. RTX when, since they're doing it with everything now.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

site posted:

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm glad arivia is here to make it weird again

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Grimthwacker posted:

Super Mario Bros. RTX when, since they're doing it with everything now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCVubOzbFzI

nintendo hire this man!!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mordja posted:

"Orbifold Studios" is a Voltron-like amalgamation of several mod teams but not that one so Alyx will probably be OK or at least not that bad

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Kotaku getting in on the fun - https://kotaku.com/boomer-shooter-retro-fps-dusk-ion-fury-prodeus-1851144571

Needs more Hrot and Cultic only getting a mention is lame, but there's a few here I haven't even heard of

Narcissus1916 fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
https://x.com/TreyPowell1964/status/1744118577471406473?s=20