Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
I think I’m happy with what we got out of the mech bay, even if in hindsight the others might have been more immediately useful.

This map looks like it’s going to be fun, though potentially harrowing. The roads and choke points will make it easier for faster mechs to get around and attack in advantageous positions. Though on the flip side if we body block someone with our mechs they’ll either have to use their jets or turn around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hunchback

Gimmie the 4p let’s disco

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
I'll take the Victor.

Edit: Half SRM ammo as well.

Otter Madness fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 5, 2024

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'll take the Wyvern and half of SRM ammo.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Alright then.

I think all you guys piloted light mechs before, so I hope you enjoy taking a ride in something a bit beefier this time.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Looks like a decent lance! Let’s go

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

So what's going to be the general formation for us here? Going by the range brackets I think the VCT and HBK can pretty much shadow each other, while the BJ and WVE could hang back at medium LL range.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Note that I'm the only mech without jets, so working around that might be important

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
We'll definitely have to plan around the Hunchback, but none of us are fast enough to leave it too far behind unless we start bounding over buildings every turn.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The discoback just charges the enemy blazing away with 8 medium lasers until it inevitably collapses into a burning wreck after killing 4 enemies.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
hunchback 4p hell yeah. sad i had to sit this one out and missed a chance at one of my favourites

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

does megamek have a way to change the height/depth text colour? i'm having trouble reading the dark blue on grey for the buildings

not really important since i'm not in this mission, mostly just curious

also: the map is dope

e: halfassed colour change for anyone else who wants it:

biosterous fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 5, 2024

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
So can the irrepably damaged mechs at least be salvaged for some parts? Or could they be sold/bartered for something down the line? Or just worth it to have them as trophies in case someone makes an offer?

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

While the HBK is the anchor due to mobility, we might want to see if we can plink some of the vehicles at range if we can get some early shots off.

Remember that when running on pavement, moving after you've made a facing change can cause a skid if it is on the same turn's movement. Also don't fall into the trap of jumping on buildings just to have them shot out from under you, then falling into a random double basement.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Amechwarrior posted:

While the HBK is the anchor due to mobility, we might want to see if we can plink some of the vehicles at range if we can get some early shots off.

Remember that when running on pavement, moving after you've made a facing change can cause a skid if it is on the same turn's movement. Also don't fall into the trap of jumping on buildings just to have them shot out from under you, then falling into a random double basement.

Okay but hear me out: What if it's really funny?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Only if happens to the opfor

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It's a simulator so it's funny if it happens to the players too.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

It's real in my heart

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

biosterous posted:

does megamek have a way to change the height/depth text colour? i'm having trouble reading the dark blue on grey for the buildings

not really important since i'm not in this mission, mostly just curious

also: the map is dope

e: halfassed colour change for anyone else who wants it:

I did some tinkering, and it turns out I can change the height text. I think white is probably the best in terms of readibility:

The text clipping at the hex edges is unfortunately not something I can change, since it's a product of my having to slightly resize the map in-engine in order to not break tables.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is a great map scintilla, good job

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Cityscape_[9994]: Turn 0

“Germa-a-a-nium fever has gone and got me down. Germa-a-a-nium fever is spreadin’ all around!” Archibald sang as he drove his Blackjack down the central boulevard of the simulated city. “With a sphalerite sample in my hand, I’m goin’ out to stake me some Star League land! Germa-a-a-nium fever has gone and got me down!”

“I didn’t know you could sing, Archibald.” Stephanie said admiringly.

“Yeah, our Archie has the voice of an angel!” Louis laughed. “Too bad his musical taste is about four hundred years out of date!”

Archibald grinned and blew a wet raspberry into his mic. “Pfft! I’ll not be lectured in taste by someone who used to play ‘Kuritan Punks gently caress Off’ in the barracks on repeat every Saturday afternoon.”

“Hey, it got us in the mood to stomp some snakes, didn’t it? I was just…” Louis trailed off as something moved at the end of the boulevard ahead.

The battle map Gudrun had pulled from the simulator’s database resembled a classic Star League-era city, combining a rational grid-based layout with a wide boulevard leading down to a large central palace. Gudrun had made a few tweaks to make it more closely resemble Zherdevskiy City, but overall it was the kind of urban landscape that one might find on any number of planets throughout the Inner Sphere.

Frowning, Archibald toggled the zoom feature on his primary viewscreen. The enhanced image revealed Etienne’s Griffin standing on the roof of the palace directly ahead of them. The mech stepped up to the lip of the roof and jumped off, flames venting from its jets like a fiery cloak. It landed in front of the bridge that led up to the palace gates, its heavy feet striking sparks from the reinforced ferrocrete road. It did not raise its weapons or open fire, but the challenge behind the gesture was obvious.

“That is bait.” Louis said firmly.

“Classic bait.” Archibald agreed.

“Delicious, high-quality bait,” Roger concurred. “Looks so juicy it almost makes me want to dig in right away.”

“What’s the plan, sir?” Stephanie asked. “Defeat in detail?”

“That would be preferable. We should move as a unit if possible. Getting isolated in these narrow streets is a death sentence. Watch your flanks, and don’t be afraid to smash through a building or two if it looks like you’re about to be surrounded.”

N/A

N/A

N/A

N/A

Player Status

Enemy Status

Special Abilities:
-Dodge: Enables the pilot to make a dodge manoeuvre instead of a physical attack, inflicting a +2 accuracy penalty against enemy physical attacks during the melee phase.
-Evasive Action: By forfeiting the right to fire during the shooting phase, the pilot gains the ability to move evasively, inflicting an additional +1 penalty against incoming weapons fire and physical attacks. The unit must use its Running MP, have undamaged hips, and will gain an extra +2 heat at the end of the round.
-Hopping Jack: Pilot suffers a +2 penalty when firing after jumping instead of +3.
-Multi-Tasker: When splitting fire between multiple targets, secondary targeting penalties are reduced by 1.
-Rangemaster: Range modifiers for long and short range are switched.
-Toughness: Grants bonus to consciousness rolls.

Relevant Design Quirks:
-Battle Fists: The mech receives a -1 accuracy bonus when punching.
-Cramped Cockpit: The pilot suffers a +1 penalty on piloting rolls.
-Extended Torso Twist: The mech can twist its torso to threaten an additional hex.
-Narrow Profile: The mech takes less damage from incoming weapons fire if the margin of success is +1 or lower. Direct fire weapons deal half damage, while cluster attacks receive a -4 penalty when determining the number of hits.
-Poor Workmanship: The unit takes a +1 penalty on critical rolls.

--

Primary Objectives:
-Eliminate enemy commander (Etienne Decimis) (0/1)
-Destroy at least four Fusilier battlemechs (0/4)

Secondary Objectives:
-Destroy the statue of Marquis Rousseau Decimis (Hex 1619) (50,000 C-Bill reward)
-Destroy City Militia base (All single hex buildings in the city block with the northernmost hex of 0208) (100,000 C-Bill reward)
-Destroy Militia Fuel Depot (150,000 C-Bill reward)

--

Special Considerations:

Building Details: In this scenario, Medium Building hexes have a CF of 40, Heavy Building hexes have a CF of 90, and Hardened Building hexes have a CF of 120. All single-hex buildings have a CF of 20. All fuel tanks have a CF of 30 and a Height of 1. The Bridge hexes in 1623 and 1624 both have a CF of 100. The statue of Marquis Rousseau Decimis in hex 1619 has a CF of 20 and a Height of 1. None of the buildings in this scenario have basements.

Non-Isometric Hexmap:

Next Orders Due: Tuesday 9th 9:00PM GMT.

Scintilla fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jan 7, 2024

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

What's up with that 30/26 front armour on the Goblin?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Space Kablooey posted:

What's up with that 30/26 front armour on the Goblin?

It's an error, I'll fix it now.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

No worries!

Anyway, I think we should start heading west and start working on that HBK and that Hetzer. I don't like going east straight away because of the jumpy, narrow profile 'Mechs there. Thoughts?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

In a map like this a Hetzer is potentially very dangerous, even without double blind and played by an idiot (The names make me think that the MegaMek bot is playing them - that's not a knock on Scintilla). Getting rid of it ASAP is not a bad plan.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Agreed. We should fight the Hetz and HBK while we have the armor to do so. That AC/20 on the Hetz is front mounted, not on a turret. So there's a chance we can stay out of its arc as much as possible, but it will want to park where it can have good sight lines.

Do we want to rush west at running MP and risk the skids or just go at normal pace? If anything, our HBK-4P should get first choice of movement as we can just jump around where we need to.

We need to watch out for the Prince. He's got Rangemaster and his PPC can reach to about 1604 and we're inside his LRM range already. So his shots to us will be basically guaranteed if we stay out in the central lane. I don't think it's worth it rushing forward to pop that statue. It's bait.

Amechwarrior fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jan 7, 2024

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Hbk here: considering turning sw and running to 1003

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
Thinking of jumping to 1305. I think I have cover from the trees for the PPC and LRM, but the Vedette should have a shot at me with the AC5.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
I think the enemy's game plan here is to pincer us in the middle while the prince pokes us from long range. So it's best not to play their game. I think the play for us is to pick a side to fight through first, and hope to even the odds before their friends arrive.

As for which side? Uh... Hard to say. Both of them are scary for their own reasons but I am far more scared of what the Hunchback and wheeled assault gun can do to us.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

I'll hop to 1202 and face down the road.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
This looks so awesome! Feels like a fun mission.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Definitely bunch up and get to one side to gang up on the stuff you find quickly. Having most of the lance with jets is going to be a huge advantage against the combat vehicles, and +1 to taking out the hetzer ASAP. AC20s don't gently caress around in this terrain!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Extremely disappointed in the lack of a "shove a unit into a fuel tank to kill it" bonus objective.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

If you're still roleplaying as the warcrime faction, there's an easy solution to this map's restricted sightlines.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Gnoman posted:

If you're still roleplaying as the warcrime faction, there's an easy solution to this map's restricted sightlines.

The problem I have with that is that the buildings aren't actually that fragile. The only ones we can reasonably destroy in a small timeframe are the medium and single-hex buildings. The rest have enough structure that destroying them in short order is pretty difficult

Edit: Also we can only destroy one hex at a time right? Or can we destroy an entire building by breaking a single hex?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

You can burn through an astonishing amount of structure quickly when your target can't move, and you don't have to (IIRC) destroy every hex of a building to collapse it).

Depending on how much Scintilla wants to roleplay the Opfor, going slash and burn might be a reasonable way to draw them out as well.

EDIT: Checked the most recent rulebook I have on hand, and buldings collapse if you destroy half their hexes. That doesn't seem like something that would change.

Gnoman fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 7, 2024

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Volmarias posted:

Extremely disappointed in the lack of a "shove a unit into a fuel tank to kill it" bonus objective.

Note to players - doing this will be extremely satisfying! It will also cause you to take at least 40 damage as the AOE consumes you. Probably more, actually, since blowing one tank will cause the others to blow up as well.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Scintilla posted:

Note to players - doing this will be extremely satisfying! It will also cause you to take at least 40 damage as the AOE consumes you. Probably more, actually, since blowing one tank will cause the others to blow up as well.

Note to players - please do this.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
Are we allowed to set fires, or are we not playing with that as I know it can be a pain to track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain Foo posted:

Hbk here: considering turning sw and running to 1003

orders sent, additional warcrimes added