Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Speaking of Android Auto and adapters, does anyone have familiarity with aftermarket Android Auto devices for cars that didn't come with it? I've been seeing articles that read more like advertisements for the things, but not a lot of details and doing a lot of research myself has been :effort:. This was the most recent one I saw, that prompted the question: https://www.androidpolice.com/android-auto-mesay-folding-touchscreen-deal-stacksocial/

The main thing I wonder is how these things connect to the car's existing stereo, and how well they pick up voice for calls and commands and such. My partner's car is too old to have come with AA, and if a device like this could add it then it seems like it could be a nice gift.

I have one in my lovely van, but not that brand. The one I have is carpuride and it connects either using 1/8 phono plug or it has its own speaker and a built in fm transmitter.

It works well enough. Only complaint is there doesn't seem to be any way to adjust the volume for navigation in Android Auto on it, so that is always too quiet compared to the music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Lowen SoDium posted:

I have one in my lovely van, but not that brand. The one I have is carpuride and it connects either using 1/8 phono plug or it has its own speaker and a built in fm transmitter.

It works well enough. Only complaint is there doesn't seem to be any way to adjust the volume for navigation in Android Auto on it, so that is always too quiet compared to the music.

Cool - thank you. I'm not sure if my partner will even be interested, but I find Android Auto so handy I'm still thinking about some way to add it to her car.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

AlexDeGruven posted:

I don't do anything unofficial with it. Just let auto update run.

2013 MacBook Pro's final software version was Big Sur (and that's assuming it was a late 2013 model) and all update support for Big Sur ended in September of 2023.

Monterey only supports MacBook Pros 2015 and later.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Lowen SoDium posted:

Try adjusting the volume when the navigation is talking, it should switch to adjusting navigation volume.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Desk Lamp posted:

Try adjusting the volume when the navigation is talking, it should switch to adjusting navigation volume.

That doesn't work for the voice recognition prompts for me, they're very quiet (it did work in Apple Carplay).

Car is a 2017 so IDK if that affects anything, though it has had software updates.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Desk Lamp posted:

Yeah, that works on my KIA's built in unit, but it doesn't work on this carpuride addin in the van.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Is there any way I can see what caused my Pixel 7 Pro to reboot?

Within the last 3 weeks or so, it has happened twice, where I wake up in the morning to the alarm beeping at the right time, but when I want to open the phone, it prompts me for a code to the SIM card. Unlocking that, everything else is fine.

I haven't noticed anything else going on, and haven't installed any new apps in ages. Also no drops or issues with charging.
Security updates usually prompts me to update. It happened again this morning, and I can see that my latest security update was December 5, 2023.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Ice Cream Sandwich

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

codo27 posted:

Ice Cream Sandwich

the worst part of this screenshot is being a habs fan

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

This year's blind phone comparison.

https://youtu.be/VRoTOE3FqT0?si=3_Uek8-oiGzrWW8B

When averaging all three scores, Pixel did a 1,2,3 podium (7a in 1st, 8 Pro in second, and Pixel Fold in third). The 7a was voted the best daytime photo and the Pixel 8 Pro was voted the best Portrait (and came in 2nd for night photo.)

I still think Google should ditch the Samsung sensor because it seems like they are better at tuning Sony sensors.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

they didn't test the standard pixel 8 bc it's basically the same main camera as the 8 pro isnt it? just without a telephoto and wide angle or something?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yup, the main sensor and processing is the same.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I need a budget phone for my work, something cheap as in less than 200 eurobucks. It won't be used all the time, just need a decently big battery and something that works with basic features. What's the to-go for that? I had a TCL 20L 5G for two years (cost me 24€ lol) but gave it to a friend that just broke his phone. Maybe a cheap POCO/TCL?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Guillermus posted:

I need a budget phone for my work, something cheap as in less than 200 eurobucks. It won't be used all the time, just need a decently big battery and something that works with basic features. What's the to-go for that? I had a TCL 20L 5G for two years (cost me 24€ lol) but gave it to a friend that just broke his phone. Maybe a cheap POCO/TCL?

I'm not sure what's current but I've always been pretty happy with Moto G models in the past. The Samsung A series are also the less expensive but still pretty feature rich models they sell vs. the S series.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I hope this is the right thread for this :) if there's a better spot please let me know.

For a long time I've been running Apple TVs as the streaming platforms in my home, but due to the majesty of Stremio, I'm transitioning everything to Fire Cubes. Which sucks because I just upgraded to the new Apple TVs, but what can you do :cry:

All has been well, but how exactly do you handle subtitles on Android TV?

I see that you can set the preferred language and subtitle, but that by default doesn't handle subtitles on foreign-language films? What I really want is "no subtitles on English content / English Subtitles on stuff that isn't English" any idea how this could be accomplished?

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
There is probably an android tv thread or something more related to that question but on my shield I never had a system wide subtitle setting, in my experience that is usually an application level setting but I could be wrong

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Android tv has system level settings for the look of subtitles, should the system be called upon to display them, which isn't even a given. NewPipe on my fire stick uses these, VLC doesn't. All other subtitles settings, like language preferences and whether to display them at all are app specific.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Are you asking about Android TV or FireOS? Amazon Fire Cubes do not run Android TV.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Works exactly the same on my fire stick as on my chromecast with google tv.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Rexxed posted:

I'm not sure what's current but I've always been pretty happy with Moto G models in the past. The Samsung A series are also the less expensive but still pretty feature rich models they sell vs. the S series.

I've been disconnected from Motorola since the Moto G 2013-2015. Hell, I still have a working Moto G 2013 that works as radio fm. Samsung A series look decent but POCO phones give more power for the price (usually) but I'll keep an eye on both, thanks!

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Guillermus posted:

I've been disconnected from Motorola since the Moto G 2013-2015. Hell, I still have a working Moto G 2013 that works as radio fm. Samsung A series look decent but POCO phones give more power for the price (usually) but I'll keep an eye on both, thanks!

Never used a Poco phone, but sometimes the extra hardware power is negated by a less than great OS experience. My OnePlus 11 is technically more powerful than my Pixel 8 (when it comes to the processor anyways), but the Pixel is my daily driver because I enjoy the software so much. Motorola tends to have a very pleasant and lightly customized Android experience (even if they do suck at updates). Samsungs OneUI is also a known quantity.

I'd actually like to get my hands on a MIUI device just to see what it's like though. Maybe it's really fun and awesome?

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Mental Hospitality posted:

Never used a Poco phone, but sometimes the extra hardware power is negated by a less than great OS experience. My OnePlus 11 is technically more powerful than my Pixel 8 (when it comes to the processor anyways), but the Pixel is my daily driver because I enjoy the software so much. Motorola tends to have a very pleasant and lightly customized Android experience (even if they do suck at updates). Samsungs OneUI is also a known quantity.

I'd actually like to get my hands on a MIUI device just to see what it's like though. Maybe it's really fun and awesome?

I enjoyed each MIUI device I owned (Redmi Note 5 and Note 10 Pro). MIUI isn't quite as bad as OneUI imo, but it's still quite a departure from stock or any of the near-stock UIs. Even with all the seeming bloat they always performed well and had excellent battery life.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Miui is absolute garbage. Hard no on ever going with it again. I'll take a Motorola with zero update policy over that.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Mental Hospitality posted:

Motorola tends to have a very pleasant and lightly customized Android experience (even if they do suck at updates).

I totally agree, and find it incredibly frustrating that they make perfectly reasonable hardware, have a great spin on Android, but not only suck at updates but actively lie about them. I went from being something a Motorola fan to warning everyone I can about them because of how stunningly terrible they are when it comes to supporting their phones.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I totally agree, and find it incredibly frustrating that they make perfectly reasonable hardware, have a great spin on Android, but not only suck at updates but actively lie about them. I went from being something a Motorola fan to warning everyone I can about them because of how stunningly terrible they are when it comes to supporting their phones.

I used to recommend Motorola phones a lot back in the days based on my few Moto G and my family's experience but then Lenovo started to put their fingers and that stuff. Got a few coworkers with recent models that run great and they have no complaints but they don't check OS or security updates so...

Talking about OS and security updates, how are recent OnePlus with that? A friend is eyeing a OnePlus Nord 3 and pice/spec wise looks nice but how's the software?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'm ... embarrassed. I thought my USB-C port was broken for half a year, after I put my weight on the connection when the phone was charging in my bed. Turns out it was actually ...just packed densely with pocket lint.

In completely unrelated news, the Backbone is awesome and completely exceeds my expectations. Heard a lot of people say it "feels loose" but I don't have that experience.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
I've tried a few solutions for phone gaming, mostly just streaming Steam games but I think I just hate gaming on such a tiny screen. Lag wasn't really an issue except in games where you needed split second reactions which seems to be all I play lol

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I was all in on Google-rola. I had a problem with the screen adhesive on the front glass of my custom MotoX, it was interfering with the FFC. They sent me a coupon code to reorder exactly what I wanted brand new (I could have chosen different colors, too) and a return box. Had my new phone in hand in 48h.

Same thing happened again after the Lenovo sell off and it was an absolute poo poo show. I had to fight to get my same colors because their new policy was refurbs, regardless of the initial device.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Blurb3947 posted:

I've tried a few solutions for phone gaming, mostly just streaming Steam games but I think I just hate gaming on such a tiny screen. Lag wasn't really an issue except in games where you needed split second reactions which seems to be all I play lol
My screen's bigger than most portable devices I've used over the years. Never owned a Switch though. I've also been playing mobile games for ages regardless, just nice that ones with touch controls I hated are actually playable and great now. Maybe I'll finally finish GTA: San Andreas lol. (The Netflix "Definitive Edition" on mobile is actually a hell of a lot better than the PC/console one.)

Veering out of the thread topic, but it is hardware ... Symphony of the Night plays fantastic with it. When I tried using an 8bitdo controller before the button mapping was off. The annoying thing however is that down on the right-stick activates the map and is way too easy to hit accidentally. The select button already opens the map, so it's pretty stupid. It would be wonderful if Backbone let you remap controls, especially per-game.

The Backbone software is actually pretty good too otherwise.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 10, 2024

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Motorola was always hit or miss with the software updates. I had a Droid X2 back in the day that received a bad update and got constant bootloops. It was known issue and I eventually convinced Verizon to exchange the phone for a Droid 3 over.

Despite that, I was still a Motorola loyalist because the hardware was so solid, miles above everyone else at that timeframe besides maybe Apple. Droid>Droid X2>Droid 3 > Motrola RAZR M> Moto G > Moto X 2016 was roughly my journey through Android until I got a Pixel 2 XL.

That Moto G was probably the worst phone I've ever owned. When first purchased, it ran 4.4 which was fine. It was a Moto G so it definitely wasn't a powerhouse, but it got the job done and the battery was great. For a poor college student living off student loans and a part time retail job, it was good! Then they updated it to 5.0 and it clearly could not handle it. Apps just would not load. Could not use Maps navigation and play music at the same time, because it would run out of memory and kill the music in the background. All sorts of issues. It became an absolute miserable experience.

drat shame. The Moto X was mostly fine though.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The Moto X4 was my favorite for size and handfeel, my stubby thumbs could reach anywhere on the screen no problem.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Does anyone know how I can stop the Google Voice app from defaulting to BT audio when I make a call? It's a watch I have connected and not a headset.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I still have a 2014 Moto X that I bought custom (black with bronze trim, it looks dope) that I have no doubt will turn on to this day if I bothered to dig it out. For a while I used it solely as a music player. That phone, and the later Nexus 6 Hugephone were some of my favorites. They were really firing on cylinders back then. Then it all went to poo poo.

Anyways, I just noticed ThinkPhones are on sale on Amazon for $400 down from $700... Abandonware or just trying to clear stock?

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Does anyone know if there's a way to setup a phone with a drive letter when connected to a computer? I have an S23 Ultra, and I can transfer files back and forth easy enough......but I want to be able to use a backup program so I can easily update my music library. Problem is that Backup4All doesn't recognize the phone when the computer simply recognizes it as a media device.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
USB Settings somewhere in uh, settings, should let you change it from MTP to mass storage unless Samsung are being super poo poo

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

kirbysuperstar posted:

USB Settings somewhere in uh, settings, should let you change it from MTP to mass storage unless Samsung are being super poo poo

Yeah....that is no longer an option. I found a program called AndroidDrive that may be what I'm looking for however.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

teethgrinder posted:

I'm ... embarrassed. I thought my USB-C port was broken for half a year, after I put my weight on the connection when the phone was charging in my bed. Turns out it was actually ...just packed densely with pocket lint.

How did you get it out?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Serotoning posted:

How did you get it out?
In the past had poked the port with a sim card release tool, but it didn't seem to be effective. Maybe I should have poked harder? I didn't realise that was the actual problem at the time.

I used the thin plastic blade tool from an Ifixit kit (the "Halberd Spudger") which released it and ... then it just kept coming out.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

My favorite lint clearing tools are those plastic floss picks. Won't damage or short pins and if you need a stuffer tool just snip some of the tip off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

teethgrinder posted:

In the past had poked the port with a sim card release tool, but it didn't seem to be effective. Maybe I should have poked harder? I didn't realise that was the actual problem at the time.

I used the thin plastic blade tool from an Ifixit kit (the "Halberd Spudger") which released it and ... then it just kept coming out.

That's why I have rubber stoppers I put in the USB ports on my phones. My only complaint is that the cheap ones I got have a tendency to fall out and it can take me a while to notice, but, again, they were cheap.