Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
the interview that's from is a good read too: https://metrograph.com/paul-verhoeven/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:sickos:

I loved his most recent movie Benedetta, and Robocop is one of my all-time favorites

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I understand Christopher Nolan movies just fine, but from what I remember the third Pirates of the Caribbean movie was incomprehensible to me at times— loads of characters with intersecting motives, and I didn’t remember what about five of them were

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The maelstrom sequence in POTC3 is one of the worst action scenes in a movie I’ve ever seen. I hated that movie even as a much less discerning 18 year old.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Oh god oh gently caress I'm sweating

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I wonder who they'll get to make the special fx suit for the 7 deadly sins

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Re: Nolan - I love him and I loved most of Tenet, but the ending temporal pincer movement, while a cool concept, was still very hard for me to follow, both visually and conceptually, and I'm still not really sure I know what the Algorithm was or what it was supposed to do. Still enjoy the movie overall, though. Only time I've really had trouble with his dialogue was seeing Intersteller in theaters.

Re Pirates - the first movie is great, at best the sequels only have some good acting, some good sequences (the bar fight in 2) or concepts (the priest in On Stranger Tides who wants to destroy the Fountain of Youth as an affront to god but gets an open mind from getting horny for a mermaid).

I did like that in the second movie, Commodore Norrington's appearance was clearly based on Guybrush Threepwood in the second Monkey Island game.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The first two Pirates sequels have the same problem that other mid-2000s sequels to successful first films have (looking at you, Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions)- they packed too much extra dumb poo poo in

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

On Stranger Tides is especially bad because they took a good and interesting book and turned it into the blandest movie.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FlamingLiberal posted:

The first two Pirates sequels have the same problem that other mid-2000s sequels to successful first films have (looking at you, Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions)- they packed too much extra dumb poo poo in

I feel there's also a common thing where they tease a massive battle sequence and then wuss out on it for a thoroughly mediocre one. A common thing in media of that era it feels like.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I feel there's also a common thing where they tease a massive battle sequence and then wuss out on it for a thoroughly mediocre one. A common thing in media of that era it feels like.

At least we got the Sentinel swarm out of it, and Neo fought a bunch of Smiths before. If Matrix 3 had done what Pirates 3 did, Neo would have spent half the movie assembling an army of awesome freaky hackers to fight the army of Smith, but then their 1-on-1 happens like it does.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

FlamingLiberal posted:

The idea that human legends about vampires and werewolves exist because they were actually real in previous versions of the Matrix is incredibly cool, but I don't know if it's something you need to devote a significant chunk of one movie to exploring.

I still think Revolutions is really solid, and that the Matrix is the rare example of a trilogy where they plotted out a strong conclusion but had no idea what to do for the second part of the story.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Rochallor posted:

The idea that human legends about vampires and werewolves exist because they were actually real in previous versions of the Matrix is incredibly cool, but I don't know if it's something you need to devote a significant chunk of one movie to exploring.

I still think Revolutions is really solid, and that the Matrix is the rare example of a trilogy where they plotted out a strong conclusion but had no idea what to do for the second part of the story.

I remember reading that initially they had story plans to do ONE sequel and not a trilogy until the first movie was as huge a success as it was, that might explain it.

But also I get it like, what the gently caress were you gonna do that would actually live up to how the first one ends?

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 7, 2024

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The last Twilight movie did something similar, I think, and that's from about the same time period

And you know what? I actually kinda respected the way they dealt with that. They couldn't actually do the final apocalyptic vampire battle because this is ultimately a sappy romance series where you can't just have every beloved side character die at the end. But they also knew that not showing anything at all would have felt like a total anticlimax. The way they squared that circle might be a cop-out, but it did allow them to go WAY harder and more action-y than the actual narrative would have allowed otherwise and still have the side cast not get for-real massacred.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I'll still say watching the last Twilight film in theaters opening weekend as the battle that wasn't in the book started and main characters began dropping left and right was one of the best theater experiences I've ever had

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Rochallor posted:

Yeah, to me, the lore is fine. The problem is the story and pacing. Having vampires introduced in and treated the same way as Deja Vu would have felt much better.

Neo, humbled after getting his rear end kicked by a vampire: "Vampires are real??"
Trinity, matter-of-fact: "Vampires and werewolves are programs, left over from previous versions of The Matrix. They still exist to perform tasks agents cannot. Like you."
Mouse: "Woah."

And then the movie moves on from explaining the lore. Bing, bong, new threat established which mitigates Neo's god powers. But they fell in love with their own world building and felt like they had to explain it all.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Good news, everyone!

https://www.thenationalnews.com/arts-culture/2024/01/05/jerry-lewis/

The Day the Clown Cried is going to be screened sometime this year!

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Was his movie about horny nuns any good? I remember seeing previews but then forgot all about it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Chemtrailologist posted:

Was his movie about horny nuns any good? I remember seeing previews but then forgot all about it.
It's obviously not for everyone, but I really enjoyed it. It was one of my favorites the year it came out.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Tars Tarkas posted:

I'll still say watching the last Twilight film in theaters opening weekend as the battle that wasn't in the book started and main characters began dropping left and right was one of the best theater experiences I've ever had

My sister in law and her family are huge twilight stans, and saw that in the theater, drunk, on opening night.

Apparently, the minute characters started dying the whole crowd went nuts, ladies were yelling at the screen, crying, throwing things. I wish I could've been there.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Asterite34 posted:

The last Twilight movie did something similar, I think, and that's from about the same time period

And you know what? I actually kinda respected the way they dealt with that. They couldn't actually do the final apocalyptic vampire battle because this is ultimately a sappy romance series where you can't just have every beloved side character die at the end. But they also knew that not showing anything at all would have felt like a total anticlimax. The way they squared that circle might be a cop-out, but it did allow them to go WAY harder and more action-y than the actual narrative would have allowed otherwise and still have the side cast not get for-real massacred.

That was kinda the opposite given they literally added a massive climactic battle sequence where there was none in the book, rather than 'There's a big epic battle totally kinda but you don't get to see it' they did the opposite of showing a big epic battle and then saying it didn't happen because everyone decided they'd rather not die.

One of the reasons Infinity War and Endgame were such hits probably is because they didn't actually wuss out on the epic battle for no reason and while there's plenty of issues, they do definitely have shitloads of violence going on and spectacular fights with all kinds of combinations of characters.

Chairman Capone posted:

Re Pirates - the first movie is great, at best the sequels only have some good acting, some good sequences (the bar fight in 2) or concepts (the priest in On Stranger Tides who wants to destroy the Fountain of Youth as an affront to god but gets an open mind from getting horny for a mermaid).

You might be mixing things up a bit; I don't quite remember the priest's motivations if there were any, aside from him being the only one who actually sees the mermaid as a person, but it's the Spanish who specifically seek out the Fountain of Youth for the purposes of destroying it as a pagan altar and affront to God. (and to be fair, the way it's presented in the movie means there's basically no ethical way to use it, besides maybe the way Blackbeard does, and even then it'd be considered a form of suicide which Catholics obviously frown on)

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

POTC has a handful of great ideas (the Black Pearl Curse, The Kraken, Davy Jones' crew, the genius casting of Geoffrey Rush) but they're pretty much all squandered in favour of more tiresome Jack Sparrow betrayal scenes.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
it should have been geoffrey rush and bill nighy chewing the scenery instead

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

POTC style action scenes are one of the things I really hate about ‘00s and early ‘10s. It’s one thing for Jack Sparrow to bumble through a hazardous situation and come out largely unscathed. Though they were seriously overdoing it even in the next movie. But jamming stuff like that into movies not containing characters with Sparrow’s dumb luck are another thing entirely. There’s never any real peril unless the plot calls for it.

The giant wheel in the second movie, and the maelstrom in the third are just awful.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Casimir Radon posted:

POTC style action scenes are one of the things I really hate about ‘00s and early ‘10s. It’s one thing for Jack Sparrow to bumble through a hazardous situation and come out largely unscathed. Though they were seriously overdoing it even in the next movie. But jamming stuff like that into movies not containing characters with Sparrow’s dumb luck are another thing entirely. There’s never any real peril unless the plot calls for it.

The giant wheel in the second movie, and the maelstrom in the third are just awful.

thinking about the british empier as a tear forms in my eye and also a splinter

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Alan Smithee posted:

I am trying to see how the cannonballs would need to be flying to pulverize everything around that guy without hitting him, and I am failing. Also, there are no cannonballs.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Grendels Dad posted:

I am trying to see how the cannonballs would need to be flying to pulverize everything around that guy without hitting him, and I am failing. Also, there are no cannonballs.

I think that's meant to be the gunpowder in the ship catching and exploding, which yeah, that creates other issues.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
why would they make their ship out of gunpowder

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
British navy officers just really liked watching things blow up back than, even if it was their own ship. It was a problem.

The life of the British navy officer back than was short but beautiful.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Pirate Jet posted:

I bet your friends love making plans with you.

They're adults so when I said "I just watched John Wick 3 and it was so bad I no longer want to watch John Wick 4, but you guys have fun" they were fine with it. We played some board games the next day.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Alan Smithee posted:

I can't believe anyone is complaining about this scene. It's loving great.

The execution of it, from a technical point of view, is flawless. It should of been happening to a better developed villain, but who gives a poo poo if the logic of the ship exploding like that doesn't work?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

PriorMarcus posted:

I can't believe anyone is complaining about this scene. It's loving great.

Oh personally I love it. It makes no sense why's what exploding and the directions that everything's flying, but like its a PotC movies so whatever I'll make fun of it sure still doesn't mean I won't enjoy it. But yeah I really liked that they just went all in on it. As you say it's well done bit of filming and perfect for those movies.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jan 8, 2024

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

POTC movies are basically a pirate-themed D&D campaign that got out of hand with its scope and lore creep.

Also the way it's essentially a fanfic with simple but insane premise that ballooned into something too big reminds me of Fallout Equistria.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jan 8, 2024

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Pirates 1 had a script that went through like 5 revisions with a number of different writers doing passes. Pirates 2&3 were written by the guys who did the final pass on 1, and they didn't even have finished scripts for either film when shooting started. Pretty much emblematic of the MCU issues, Disney seeing billions and rushing to production without a solid footing.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jan 8, 2024

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I wouldn’t say Endgame avoided wussing out on a big battle, given it’s prompted by Thanos turning up and effectively saying “I have now changed my motivation to justify this epic battle!” It’s not exactly organic to the story.

I mean, having stuff like a big final battle and ignoring that sort of complaint absolutely is why it made an enormous amount of money. It’s also why I didn’t enjoy it all that much

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot
The original POTC is an all-time adventure film for me, and the script is a masterclass in how to construct a satisfying blockbuster. It’s an interlocking series of set-ups, reversals and payoffs (for plot beats and for gags - eg see how the “parlay” joke is threaded through the film) that makes all that plate-spinning seem breezy and effortless.

It’s a shame what happened to the franchise and to Depp, but that first one really does hold up.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The lightning in a bottle comment from last page was correct though, because the movie wouldn't have been half of what it became if not for Depp creating the Jack Sparrow character almost single handedly. Without Depp you just have a very well made blockbuster about pirates, and I'm sure it would've been moderately successful but Depp was the one that got word of mouth going and made that movie the biggest hit of the year. Literally nobody else you could possibly cast in the role would've done what Depp did with it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I think a lot about the second movie works, its mostly just the pirate council stuff that drags it down, and the fact that they didn't give the film a proper resolution so they could get another movie out of it. I think the movies would have worked better if they were stand alone adventures instead of trying to have these epic ongoing plots. They tried to course correct in 4 to do that, but the damage was already done. 3 also let the Jack Sparrow character completely consume the narrative.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Wasn't the role of Sparrow originally written more or less as Han Solo? I would have been extremely curious to see that alternate universe version where they cast someone who channeled that a bit more directly. I suspect it would have been something that felt easier to revisit, but may not have been as fun at the time. As it stands, I am loathe to actually revisit thr first movie after being so sick of Depp's shtick after the third movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He still works in the first film. Everything about it is perfect

But then again I love the trilogy so idk. I’m ill.