Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Pixel 8 and PW2 don't do that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

One area they should standardize but won't, I'm sure.

Phones can charge wired just about anywhere, especially with USB C PD becoming even more ubiquitous. Watches need wireless, which a wireless charging phone is a perfect charger for. Watches don't even take much charge to top up.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Pixel 8 and PW2 don't do that...

Pixel watch 2 uses pins to charge so yeah, it can't. No reason the first pixel watch couldn't. It wasn't advertised to use Qi, but it did.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Rap Game Goku posted:

It wasn't advertised to use Qi, but it did.

Pretty much the same as the GW in that regard. The coils were too small and power draw was too low for regular Qi chargers to work.

I don't think a wearable NEEDS to have wireless charging, but I do think there should be some small device charging standard so we can minimize the chargers involved. I have 80 billion GW chargers now though since they don't want the chargers back on trade in.

One thing to remember if you happen to have the charger adapter but no power bank or outlet, you can plug the adapter into the USB port of your phone and charge the watch that way, drawing power from your phone.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

bull3964 posted:

I don't think a wearable NEEDS to have wireless charging, but I do think there should be some small device charging standard so we can minimize the chargers involved. I have 80 billion GW chargers now though since they don't want the chargers back on trade in.

I have had enough problems with smart watches with contact based charging having issues due to skin oil or what ever building up or the contact pads de-laminating on the watch that I would prefer wireless charging on them.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Haha just found out my gw4c could trigger a defibrillation in my pacemaker and kill me if I run the body composition app. Whee!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
The developer of the Pujie watch face app has decided to remove the subscription requirement for the cloud library. I know some folks here have mentioned they didn't like that that's a subscription feature, so now it's not!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Samsung somehow broke their Gear Wearable app today. Without an update (so I'm guessing some sort of server FUBAR), the app now crashes when it tries to open. If It manages to not crash, it just sits at a black screen with a blue spinner. Way to go, Samsung.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Anyone else complaining? Seems to work fine for me.

Tried rebooting your phone?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

teethgrinder posted:

Anyone else complaining? Seems to work fine for me.

Tried rebooting your phone?

Yup, rebooted the phone, uninstalled/reinstalled the app. I got on chat with Samsung support, and after they first tried to pin it on the watch, they came back and said that many other customers were reporting the same problem, and their engineers were working on it. That was ...8-10 hours ago?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

lovely. It's 100% working for me.

Maybe a regional datacentre thing but I usually hear about major AWS-type outages via work.

Anyway I agree, it's dumb it needs some server connection to do basic functionality.

I guess in theory the basics still work from the watch, in the meantime?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

hooah posted:

Samsung somehow broke their Gear Wearable app today. Without an update (so I'm guessing some sort of server FUBAR), the app now crashes when it tries to open. If It manages to not crash, it just sits at a black screen with a blue spinner. Way to go, Samsung.

This happened to me a few months ago, I just ended up waiting and it was fixed in a few days, probably with an app update

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

teethgrinder posted:

lovely. It's 100% working for me.

Maybe a regional datacentre thing but I usually hear about major AWS-type outages via work.

Anyway I agree, it's dumb it needs some server connection to do basic functionality.

I guess in theory the basics still work from the watch, in the meantime?

It sorta works. I don't get any notifications, nor can I control audio my phone's playing (the first thing I noticed that was broken), but my Pujie watch face is still updating the weather, steps, and maybe the phone battery level.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Wife had to reset her gw5. My pro is fine though

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FYI. Best Buy is currently giving $115 in trade for the Fossil Gen 5 on a wide selection of devices which is SUPER generous. There's only been 1 Gen 5 even listed on Swappa in the past few months and it was in Oct and sold for $73 (so, more like $50ish after fees and shipping.)

Not WearOS, but I decided to use that along with a $100 price cut to dip my toes into the Garmin pool and picked up an Instinct 2x Solar for $249.09 after trade (normal MSRP is $449). Figured that was cheap enough to try out the ecosystem. At any rate, it was a good way to get rid of an older Fossil stuck on WearOS 2 with likely a ticking time bomb for a battery.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Anyone else have their Galaxy watch stop getting notifications, and the Galaxy app on their phone stop working?

I have a Watch 5 and as of today it stopped getting notifications from my phone, and the Galaxy app won't open on my phone. Looking at the reviews in the Play Store shows me a couple people experiencing the same thing I am.

Earlier today the watch showed itself as not connected to my phone, but my phone showed it connected via Bluetooth. An hour or so ago I installed the January Android system update on my phone, and now my watch shows itself as connected to my phone, but I'm still not getting notifications. Before the update the Galaxy Wear app on my phone would just show spinning dots like it was trying to load, but now it acts like it is going to open and then immediately closes.

I'm guessing this is something Samsung needs to fix with an update, but I'm curious if anyone else is seeing this behavior and maybe has a fix for it?

I've already cleared the cache for the Galaxy Wear app on my phone, and force stopped it and restarted it. Both phone and watch have been restarted a couple times, too.

Edit: Nevermind, I fixed it. Apparently it is an issue with the date, for some reason: https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-Watch/Wearable-app-is-stuck-on-loading-screen-or-crashes-with-Galaxy/td-p/2769289

Manually setting my phone to December 31st let me open the Galaxy Wear app, and then I put the time back to automatic and the fix appears to have held. I just tested it and got a notification on my watch, so hopefully it's all good now.

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jan 5, 2024

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I hadn't worn my watch for a few days, but the symptoms were the same when I checked just now. The Dec 31st hack worked, allows the app to start and keep running - thanks.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
You've gotta be loving kidding me. That's the exact same issue I posted about a couple days ago. Wish I'd been able to dig up that fix before resetting my watch (especially since you can't back up your watch through the Galaxy Wearable app anymore, gently caress you, Samsung!). Thank you! Saved me a trip to UBreakIFix, where probably nothing would have been resolved.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm using my Pixel Watch 2 that came with my 8 Pro, and I seem to have an issue where (often) it doesn't vibrate for notifications. It seems to not work most consistently with the Messages app.

Here are my settings:

This is stumping and annoying me :(

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If your issue seems to be with Messages, I've noticed those can be wonky if you haven't actually launched the standalone messages app for WearOS. So if you haven't done that, I would try it.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Fingers crossed for some mind-blowing new WearOS device from CES tomorrow, or I'm doing the Best Buy trade in on my fossil gen 5 and picking up a Samsung 6 classic.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

If your issue seems to be with Messages, I've noticed those can be wonky if you haven't actually launched the standalone messages app for WearOS. So if you haven't done that, I would try it.

I tried that, then someone texted me (via RCS if that matters) and no vibrate :( Not even a notification dot on the watch. I could use the crown/swipe to scroll to the notifications and the text was there, but no alert for it :(

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

TheDK posted:

Fingers crossed for some mind-blowing new WearOS device from CES tomorrow, or I'm doing the Best Buy trade in on my fossil gen 5 and picking up a Samsung 6 classic.

I doubt it. Fossil is apparently waiting on the next gen Qualcomm processor if they do anything at all and I don't think OnePlus will announce at CES.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I tried that, then someone texted me (via RCS if that matters) and no vibrate :( Not even a notification dot on the watch. I could use the crown/swipe to scroll to the notifications and the text was there, but no alert for it :(

I'm stumped then too. Haven't had an issue with notifications on WearOS for awhile.

Regretful Humming
Apr 27, 2015

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm using my Pixel Watch 2 that came with my 8 Pro, and I seem to have an issue where (often) it doesn't vibrate for notifications. It seems to not work most consistently with the Messages app.

Here are my settings:

This is stumping and annoying me :(

Try turning on Mute watch notifications, Mute phone calls, and Mute notifications? That's the settings that I use, and it always vibrates my watch when I'm not actively using my phone.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'll try those things and see what happens. I have no idea wtf. Makes it kind of a useless smartwatch :(

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'll try those things and see what happens. I have no idea wtf. Makes it kind of a useless smartwatch :(

Do you have "do not disturb when face down" turned on, on your phone and is your phone face down when you don't get them?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Edit: Nevermind, I fixed it. Apparently it is an issue with the date, for some reason: https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-Watch/Wearable-app-is-stuck-on-loading-screen-or-crashes-with-Galaxy/td-p/2769289

Manually setting my phone to December 31st let me open the Galaxy Wear app, and then I put the time back to automatic and the fix appears to have held. I just tested it and got a notification on my watch, so hopefully it's all good now.

I did this fix a couple days ago and everything was fine over the weekend, but now it's broken again. I redid the date hack, and now it looks like there's an update for Galaxy Wearable that might fix the problem.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Rap Game Goku posted:

Do you have "do not disturb when face down" turned on, on your phone and is your phone face down when you don't get them?

I do have that enabled, but I tested disabling it and no change.

I also factory reset the watch and deleted/re-installed the Pixel Watch app. No change. Specifically Google Messages is the problem, still. This is so annoying and pretty much a dealbreaker for this watch :(

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

hooah posted:

I did this fix a couple days ago and everything was fine over the weekend, but now it's broken again. I redid the date hack, and now it looks like there's an update for Galaxy Wearable that might fix the problem.

I got the update and my watch has continued to behave properly, so hopefully that does the trick.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

I do have that enabled, but I tested disabling it and no change.

I also factory reset the watch and deleted/re-installed the Pixel Watch app. No change. Specifically Google Messages is the problem, still. This is so annoying and pretty much a dealbreaker for this watch :(

Oh my god. I think I solved this. Google Messages (and Google Messages only) notifications will not alert on the watch if I'm connected to wifi on the watch. If I'm bluetooth only, text/RCS notifications work again.

What the gently caress.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That's strange, notifications should still come through if you are cloud connected.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

That's strange, notifications should still come through if you are cloud connected.

It's solely Google Messages, I just tried turning wifi on/off and did some testing and confirmed. No notifications if it's on wifi, works perfectly if on bluetooth only. What a stupid thing.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

So I found a guide on tricking your GW4 watch into doing the stuff it refuses to do if you don't have a Samsung phone, has anyone else done this? The guide I found seems out of sync with the files it links to.

https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-enable-ecg-blood-pressure-monitoring-samsung-galaxy-watch-4/

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I did that on my galaxy watch 6 with a galaxy phone cause the BP stuff isnt enabled in the US. The instructions I used were on that guys Google drive they link to on that xda site.

It worked to enable that stuff in the US so if its also supposed to enable it on non galaxy phones maybe it will work.

Fwiw I never use the BP monitoring because it seems unreliable to me. The readings seem to just be close to what the calibration was even if I exercise or drink coffee or something that you would expect to raise my BP. I've seen other people elsewhere talk about it favorably though so it could just be me or my watch

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Yeah it works very well with my Pixel. The Google Drive folder always has the most updated instructions and versions of the files so you should be good to go there. It basically just comes down to "enable adb on your watch and push the files over, then sideload the phone app".

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I did the unlock a while ago and it worked, but since it meant manual work for every app or watch update I didn't stick with it.

I also never got anything that seemed like useful data out of the BP mode. ECG mode was neat though.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I'm mostly interested in ECG mode and also I'm hoping that I can use this feature I just read about where you can make your watch act as a virtual bluetooth mouse that will even recognize your finger taps as mouseclicks. That would be super handy for me, but seems to also be only for Samsung phones.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Organic Lube User posted:

I'm mostly interested in ECG mode and also I'm hoping that I can use this feature I just read about where you can make your watch act as a virtual bluetooth mouse that will even recognize your finger taps as mouseclicks. That would be super handy for me, but seems to also be only for Samsung phones.

I haven't got it working yet, but if you're talking about WowMouse it is phone agnostic, as far as I can tell. So far I've only tried it on my TicWatch E3 but that watch hasn't updated to WearOS 3 yet and while it gets detected by other devices I have yet to make it work. Might try again after updating it to 3, or try it on my Galaxy Watch instead.

https://www.theverge.com/2024/1/13/24037132/wowmouse-wear-os-samsung-galaxy-watch-bluetooth-mouse-gesture-control-doublepoint

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I haven't got it working yet, but if you're talking about WowMouse it is phone agnostic, as far as I can tell. So far I've only tried it on my TicWatch E3 but that watch hasn't updated to WearOS 3 yet and while it gets detected by other devices I have yet to make it work. Might try again after updating it to 3, or try it on my Galaxy Watch instead.

https://www.theverge.com/2024/1/13/24037132/wowmouse-wear-os-samsung-galaxy-watch-bluetooth-mouse-gesture-control-doublepoint

Yeah that's it. It just says it's not compatible with my phone in the app store, so I assumed it was because I'm on a Pixel8 and not a Samsung.

Edit: oh I gotta search from the watch itself, I'm a dumbass.

Organic Lube User fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Organic Lube User posted:

Yeah that's it. It just says it's not compatible with my phone in the app store, so I assumed it was because I'm on a Pixel8 and not a Samsung.

Edit: oh I gotta search from the watch itself, I'm a dumbass.

Does the Play Store give you the option to look at other devices where it says incompatible with your device? I installed it on my TicWatch by going into the Play Store from my watch and searching on it there. I'm pretty sure the phone the watch is paired to doesn't matter - my TicWatch is paired to an out-of-date Motorola phone.

e:fb