Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Arrath posted:

I appreciate when the game has touches of whimsy. :allears:

I visited Philadelphia recently and they had one of these. I couldn't explain to my friend why I was cracking up at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
having trouble figuring out why I don't have the recipe for reloaded 9mm +p+ ammo, i should have all the gear and skills, cursory internet searches don't show what I'm missing.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Autolearn: No
Written In: The Tao of the Handgun (4)The Submachine Gun Handbook (4)

You need one of those books and that much fabrication skill. I don't think you need marksmanship just to see the recipe but I could be wrong.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
thanks, i thought handloader's helper had it but that must have been old information.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

I tried the Sky Island mod today after watching TheMurderUnicorn's videos about it. It's very interesting.

The biggest challenge for me is the fact that because you're teleported to a random location, odds are good you have zero map coverage. It's very easy to find out you're on the wrong side of a river or a triffid grove or something like that. It's a fun challenge and a good change of pace. The use of EOCs also drastically slows the game down on my laptop, though, especially when saving and loading.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Inglonias posted:

I tried the Sky Island mod today after watching TheMurderUnicorn's videos about it. It's very interesting.

The biggest challenge for me is the fact that because you're teleported to a random location, odds are good you have zero map coverage. It's very easy to find out you're on the wrong side of a river or a triffid grove or something like that. It's a fun challenge and a good change of pace. The use of EOCs also drastically slows the game down on my laptop, though, especially when saving and loading.
Moment-to-moment maybe, but the extra long saving/loading probably isn't a result of the EOCs. It's because Sky Island bloats your save straight to hell because it generates so many overmaps.

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

I found the Sky Island mod to be a great way to get more comfortable with the game, as far as excursions into towns or cities go, and learning the bare minimum you need to keep a character alive and in a good mood. Once I was done with Sky Island I finally managed to have a character live past Summer which was definitely satisfying.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
You can now start as a giant or a little person (as in, normal everyday giants and little people, not apocalypse mutants) by selecting "Very tall" or "Very short" in the traits list, under hairstyles and stuff. These currently don't come with mechanical stat changes or health effects, as there are a lot of ways someone can be big or small IRL, and I didn't want to force you to have bad knees or whatever just because you picked an exceptional height. Since we have a freeform chargen system, you can choose whatever you think is appropriate to go with it, if you want. I will be making very tall impact your blood pressure later on though, since that seems to be a universal constant with giants irl.

For now what this does is change your mechanical size class from medium to large or small. It also reduces or increases your calorie needs and stomach size, the amount of weight you can carry, and if you're very short, it has a slight negative impact on your HP. It also affects your ability to interact with vehicles. Large people need reclining or bench seats to fit in a car unless they take the roof off or leave the door open (lol), and small people can't reach the pedals without (craftable) pedal extenders or (craftable, but more complicated) hand controls. Hand controls also let you drive a car with broken or missing legs. They don't spawn around too often but you can sometimes find them in recycling centers or dumps and very rarely in mechanic shops.

This is a funny way to play as a kid if you want to (minimum age is still 16, that probably won't change) and also if you want to powergame. Being very tall makes you big enough to do knockdown attacks to nearly all enemies and knockback attacks to everything but huge (cow, hulk) sized enemies. It should also affect what parts of the body you tend to get hit in. You may notice you don't get hit in the head often by enemies a foot and a half shorter than you. OTOH you can't fit through windows. Small characters are also harder to hit with ranged attacks and shrapnel, while large characters are more vulnerable to those.

Also if you didn't catch it upthread, you can now store stuff in aisles and car seats. These will block the way if there's too much stuff there: you're making a decision about storage vs accessibility. Boxes, floor trunks, and most other parts that actually contain the junk won't block movement even when full, unless you're so big you couldn't fit there anyway. There's a blurb about this when you examine the part in the vehicle menu. Huge characters (Lizard, Bovine, Ursine) are still very sad about vehicles, but they aren't completely mangled to 200 pain by them anymore. They can hang out comfortably in livestock stalls and will squeeze (with some complaining) into other parts. I think they can probably chill out in uncovered truck beds without any issue.

This is my first time messing with vehicles and there may be plenty of issues resulting from it. I've already squashed a bunch of them, but I don't expect I'm done. If you notice anything weird, please let me know.

Griz
May 21, 2001

hot drat that is some dwarf fortress level attention to detail and that's why this game continues to be great

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

worm girl posted:

Also if you didn't catch it upthread, you can now store stuff in aisles and car seats. These will block the way if there's too much stuff there: you're making a decision about storage vs accessibility. Boxes, floor trunks, and most other parts that actually contain the junk won't block movement even when full, unless you're so big you couldn't fit there anyway. There's a blurb about this when you examine the part in the vehicle menu. Huge characters (Lizard, Bovine, Ursine) are still very sad about vehicles, but they aren't completely mangled to 200 pain by them anymore. They can hang out comfortably in livestock stalls and will squeeze (with some complaining) into other parts. I think they can probably chill out in uncovered truck beds without any issue.
This is really cool! I appreciate the amount of crunchy tactile interaction this opens up. It reminds me of a C:DDA comic someone drew about stuffing a dead stegosaurus in the front seat and trying to drive home like that.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Busted open a private resort, found about 10 safes in the basement, and took a heavy sledgehammer to each one. I gathered up all the cash inside, and did what anyone sane would do:

Put it all onto prepaid credit cards.

(also I found a bunch of guns and ammo)

e: also, I have a newfound appreciation for electric vehicles. I put a giant electric motor into my vehicle, drew curtains around all the windshields/windows, installed cameras, and now I can creep around cities completely silently and zombies don't attack at all! (offer not valid during fog, gently caress fog)

Gwyneth Palpate fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 5, 2024

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

thats a lot of gasoline and snack foods

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
I tried to fix the deeply misguided mutagen system and got told that actually it's good the way it is: https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/70735

Rememeber kids, don't drink mutagen. Drink typed mutagen! Mutagenic catalyst and mutagenic primer are trap options that aren't set up correctly and never could be. If you took too much mutagenic primer, try mutagen chelator! But you can't craft that and you won't find any so don't bother. Oh also the amount of all these chemicals, which the game calls vitamins for some reason, is a hidden number. You can tell how much mutagen you have because it'll say you're mutating, changing, or warping. No I don't know what the difference is. But you can also be metamorphosing or transforming!

Oh, also, any of these substances will kill you if you take too much and there's nothing you can do to save yourself if that happens, but there's no indication of how much that might be. And you need to take more than one dose or they won't do anything. Don't worry though, you need to clear out multiple labs in order to even get started, and you'll be done playing by then, so you won't ever have to engage with the system at all.

Sometimes I feel like the devs for this game are living on another planet.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 7, 2024

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Meanwhile you can just pop in to the Exodii and get whatever cybernetics you need for a low price.

I haven't played in a few months and man, despite often playing mutant characters I had to actively remind myself what Primer, Catalyst, Etc were while reading that post. It really is a mess.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

i didn't even know "chelator" existed until i read that post

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
What I hate is that I actually rather like the two vitamin setup since it feels appropriately biohacky, but it's been implemented so poorly. It's nonsensical how much harder it is to get started with mutations than cybernetics considering how the Blob is directly responsible for the former. That you have to luck out and find chemistry textbooks, primers, and catalyst to even get started is silly; that should be for when you want to control the process. What I'd really want mutation to be is an unwieldy yet easily accessible source of power that could be optionally refined and controlled with enough effort, but right now there's basically no step one, it's going right to "draw the rest of the loving owl". The game really needs some kind of purple meat as an unrefined, random mutation source for the players that just wanna get freaky right away. Just let me chow down on the samples, maybe.

Also whenever the github topic about terminology opens I am going to try my absolute hardest to convince Erk we need to change the word "catalyst" because good gravy that is not what catalyst means, it is so drat confusing.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 7, 2024

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
I love that there's an ESL guy in the thread going "please, you have no idea how much this sucks" and being ignored.

I almost get the sense that most of the devs don't like mutations and want to squeeze them out of the game by making them less and less accessible so people get accustomed to not having them. Every attempt to add things like crashed XEDRA trucks has been blocked, and stuff like the Rat King has been removed. I actually agree with that one, but I don't have high hopes that a less silly version of it would get merged.

IMO they are the most interesting thing in the game. Almost every line completely transforms the way you play, and the deep interactions even something as simple as being a carnivore can have are unmatched in any other game. Too bad you need to raid multiple TCLs just to get there.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

worm girl posted:

Sometimes I feel like the devs for this game are living on another planet.
I've come to see you as the one poster in this thread who always finds the silver lining and the reasonable long-term perspective on unpopular systems and changes, so when even you're saying the mutation system is hosed, it must be hosed.

I don't really get why CBMs and mutations, two of the coolest systems aesthetically and the ones that offer more play variety than almost anything in the game, are so heavily gated. Every update seems to make them less and less available. I heard you get CBMs almost exclusively through a single NPC and his prewritten questline now? I'm really not a fan personally of the factions and questlines, just because I've always enjoyed C:DDA as more of a sandboxy self-sufficient survival scenario, so I don't like that change. But I'm only going on what I heard, so maybe I misunderstood it. Mutations though are definitely more gated than ever and I just don't understand it. They are often much weaker than CBMs or at least come with a lot of possible negatives. CBMs are almost exclusively positive and once you have them there's little cost, while mutations are give and take, compromises even for all but the best stuff. I'm not saying they're exclusively worse than CBMs though.

It's my opinion that both systems matter most in the early game and very little in the endgame, which is why it's such a bad decision to not let you have them until the endgame! Why do I care that I can eat rotten food or even corpses now, I have a thousand MREs in my closet. Why do I care if I can sleep in uncomfortable spots, I have a great bed in my deathtruck. Slightly better dodge from this tail that prevents me from using my battle suit? Whee!
Having even mixed mutations like hooves can completely change the way you play in the early stages, and that's when they'd be the most fun. Hell, everything around you is mutated to hell and back, all the enemies are freaks thanks to the blob and the blob's in us so even though I'm sure there's a lore related reason why this isn't the same I really can't see anyone complaining if mutations were moved to be early game accessible.

E:

worm girl posted:

I almost get the sense that most of the devs don't like mutations and want to squeeze them out of the game by making them less and less accessible so people get accustomed to not having them. Every attempt to add things like crashed XEDRA trucks has been blocked, and stuff like the Rat King has been removed. I actually agree with that one, but I don't have high hopes that a less silly version of it would get merged.
What about the Yugg? Is that gone too?
I also completely got the impression they're doing what they can to phase out mutations but know they can't just get rid of them because they're so ingrained in the system and its dependencies.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 7, 2024

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
CBMs are actually easier to get into. Use the computer in your evac shelter, follow the map marker to the refugee center, then do the first quest for either Smokes or the Old Guard Representative there. After that, you can talk to the truck driver in the back bay or the OGR in her office, and you'll get a quest to go check out the exodii. Assuming they spawned within a reasonable distance, you just walk over there and talk to Rubik, who will trade you a jar of anesthetic (craftable or lootable) for your first CBMs.

Rubik is a little bit boring right now because he only has two quests. If you'd rather not go through him, you can hunt zomborgs, who spawn on the surface randomly, and dissect them for their CBMs. These can be autoclaved and installed either via Rubik, an autodoc in a lab, a surgeon at Tacoma Ranch if you do their questline (acquired via Smokes) or a surgeon in the Hub 01 ancilla bar, which opens a month or two after game start.

The devs have been working on nether dungeons which will be pseudo nonsensical spaces like old labs or the backrooms mod. These will have artifacts in them, and also dead exodii you can harvest for parts. The exodii know about these places and have been sending adventurers into them to try to snag the artifacts.

There are also plans to be able to side with Hub 01 over the Exodii. Hub 01 wants their tech badly and are capable of jailbreaking and reverse engineering it to some extent. They also want to add partial or full body prosthesis. All of that sounds great to me and I wish mutagen had a similar level of accessibility.

I have an alternate idea for a very small faction of mutants, like four people, who will be able to help offer in-character guidance toward mutations. I am hoping the devs won't squash that one, in no small part because I like the characters I designed for it.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
If I had to give my own solution:
  • Rename catalyst to "mutagen" or "mutagenic slurry" or something. Make it now mutate you on its own, but completely randomly (still using genetic stability so you can't just be unlike and get only bad muts). Make it easily accessible, reproducible, and opt-in. Like drinking mutant and/or insect blood or something - no proficiencies needed.
  • Primer simply controls the randomness of that mutagen to only give you mutations of that category.
  • Samples are gained from their specific creature and can be refined into primers as it is now. Can also be eaten as-is to provide both primer and mutagen, but more mutagen than primer, so you'll still run the risk of out-of-category muts. Either get smart enough to make primers or remove the excess with chelator (could maybe even add laxatives/ipecac as an accessible-but-with-a-cost option).
This makes it far more accessible, which it should be, seeing as every living thing on earth is technically a mutant now.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 7, 2024

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

i didn't even know "chelator" existed until i read that post

Absent context that could mean either a substance which removes toxin buildup or a substance which turns you into a turtle.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Second on CBMs being extremely accessible. I can reliably get tons of CBMs with almost no effort on most maps I play, assuming I live long enough to find some anus-fetick anesthetic. Like, take my current character. It's my first time living long enough to reach Autumn, Year 1 since I started playing, and I already got all this stuff:

About 90% of this was sold to me by Rubik, with the remaining 10% from dissecting zomborgs and the one human cyborg I found in one of the four mostly empty rooms on the surface level of a lab (along with a bunch of autoclave pouches) that I didn't bother exploring any further. Mutating? I have no idea how to even start. I've read up on it on the Hitchhiker's Guide and the wiki to some extent, and it looks super neat, but getting there is a daunting task.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
gently caress me I only just now learned that in December I inadvertently introduced a bug that was making everyones' books fall out of their kindles, lmao

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

(Hoary old man voice) I remember when being a katana-wielding furry in a trenchcoat was peak end-game power.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Id like to propose a patch to make Rubik no longer British

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Dandywalken posted:

there's actually a mod that translates his speech

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

lmao amazing

in that case, MORE British

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Dandywalken posted:

I'm running a CDDA-based TTRPG for friends right now and because one of the PCs is fluent in Mandarin (Raised bilingual) we made the joke that the Exodii they ran into know 'Lesser Dai Nam' from another reality and thus are, with difficulty, able to communicate.

I really really like the Exodii as a concept (traumatized scavengers who aren't hostile but warn what's happening here is an interdimensional nightmare fit the tone great to me) but their implementation is terrible. Not just in the 'they have only two quests' way, that can be fixed with time and added content. I just wish they weren't this exclusive, easy on-ramp to a major part of the game the way they are, mostly because I'd like other on-ramps rather than because I think that one should be closed.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Gliding and treetops have both been merged. Expect bugs!

To glide, you need to be a mutant with bird wings. These actually replace your arms and hands. Examining a roof edge will prompt you to glide. You only move at a rate of 5 forward to 1 down, so it's more for short term maneuverability than soaring across the countryside. It will allow you to easily clear gaps between buildings even on the same level.

Insect wings can't fly, but they reduce fall damage, making it safe to jump out of a tree or off a 1 story roof. They can also make you go faster when walking or riding a muscle-powered vehicle like a bicycle if you activate them.

To climb a tree, stand next to it and push <

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Did they ever fix the thing where the cat/rabbit/frog jumping spell would, if used to try and jump from one roof to another or over just a big hole blown into the ground would cause you to instantly plummet down however many z levels despite having the range?

worm girl posted:

There was a commit added like a month ago whose entire premise was some rabbit mutations didn't have enough ugliness points tied to them that Kevin gave the nod. I think he just doesn't like furries or something, WG.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Caidin posted:

Did they ever fix the thing where the cat/rabbit/frog jumping spell would, if used to try and jump from one roof to another or over just a big hole blown into the ground would cause you to instantly plummet down however many z levels despite having the range?

Last I checked the spell wasn't working at all.

quote:

There was a commit added like a month ago whose entire premise was some rabbit mutations didn't have enough ugliness points tied to them that Kevin gave the nod. I think he just doesn't like furries or something, WG.

Mutants aren't furries, is the thing. You're Dr. Brundle, not Anime Nee-chan. The rabbit line was intended to be the least worst of the animal mutants, and when taken in total its mutations would equal out to just a bit uglier than normal. But someone pointed out that you usually don't have the line's full set of mutations, and it was pretty easy to crank your beauty score up super high by growing a rabbit tail and ears.

Beauty is not used for a whole lot currently, mostly it determines how scared of you random NPCs are. There's no amount of animal/human hybridization that is going to make you less scary than an ordinary human being. I imagine if the system was improved and broken out into substats like inhumanity, attractiveness, intimidation factor, etc. some of the mutations could be made positive again on some metrics.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

worm girl posted:

Last I checked the spell wasn't working at all.

Mutants aren't furries, is the thing. You're Dr. Brundle, not Anime Nee-chan. The rabbit line was intended to be the least worst of the animal mutants, and when taken in total its mutations would equal out to just a bit uglier than normal. But someone pointed out that you usually don't have the line's full set of mutations, and it was pretty easy to crank your beauty score up super high by growing a rabbit tail and ears.

Beauty is not used for a whole lot currently, mostly it determines how scared of you random NPCs are. There's no amount of animal/human hybridization that is going to make you less scary than an ordinary human being. I imagine if the system was improved and broken out into substats like inhumanity, attractiveness, intimidation factor, etc. some of the mutations could be made positive again on some metrics.

Every 3rd random NPC I find in a field says their trying to turn into a raptor or something so they can't THAT be prejudiced against it. Also the dev teams half baked intentions are irrelevant as I have been swapping Rats Grotesque mutation for the elves Glorious one for years.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Caidin posted:

Every 3rd random NPC I find in a field says their trying to turn into a raptor or something

You're playing with mods, either No Hope, Aftershock, Extra Mutated Scenarios, or if I had to guess, all 3.

The only mutant NPCs in the base game are Apis, Yusuke, and Makayla.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Yeah it'd be Aftershock probably then.

Does Apis do anything other then be another mob in the big hives? I think they took out the thing where they'd be locked up in Migo towers.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Caidin posted:

Yeah it'd be Aftershock probably then.

Does Apis do anything other then be another mob in the big hives? I think they took out the thing where they'd be locked up in Migo towers.

I actually just saw Apis on my map as I was driving past a mi-go encampment, so I'm guessing it's still in. Dunno what Apis' deal is though, I also saw them on the map chilling in a 3x3 beehive.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I actually just saw Apis on my map as I was driving past a mi-go encampment, so I'm guessing it's still in. Dunno what Apis' deal is though, I also saw them on the map chilling in a 3x3 beehive.

Apis is not anything other than a hostile NPC. There was old lore about researchers going out to study the mutant bees, back when mutant animals were a thing that had started to pop up before the Cataclysm. There used to be zombie beekeepers out there too, so presumably Apis was a scientist who took too much insect mutagen and forgot she was people.

Nowadays I have no idea.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

More light-hearted content: i just got hit by a literal monster closet

That'll teach me to do literally anything without my gas mask on

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!

worm girl posted:

There used to be zombie beekeepers out there [...]

These need to come back if only to evolve into Honey Boomers who explode into clouds of zombees when destroyed.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
After the recent streams and discussion here I wanted to give Sky Island a try and lo and behold, apparently it's getting a big update soon! Pretty significant apparently, so I'm going to hold off a little longer.

worm girl posted:

To climb a tree, stand next to it and push <
How long has this been a thing? Is it new with this gliding update or have I just not been paying attention again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Sinatrapod posted:

These need to come back if only to evolve into Honey Boomers who explode into clouds of zombees when destroyed.

holy poo poo

Vib Rib posted:

How long has this been a thing? Is it new with this gliding update or have I just not been paying attention again?

Seperate PRs (both mine) in the same day. I noticed while gliding that I was landing inside of trees. I added a thing that makes you automatically stumble to a free space if you're ever inside of an impassable tile, but it gave me the idea to put treetops too.

Currently they're just a spot to hang out or scout around from. They're supposed to be unstable like gutters are, but going up and down is completely different code from walking for some reason, and it doesn't properly apply the condition yet.