Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

We've migrated to Netskope and after some initial pains it's working fairly well now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

The Fool posted:

We've migrated to Netskope and after some initial pains it's working fairly well now.

Welcome to the pain train my friend.

Yeah its fine, way cheaper than Zscaler from what I've been told and mostly painless. Their support has sucked, and we've had constant issues with their Mac client but for the most part I'm happy with it.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Zscaler is the next target for slashing costs. Once I get Okta fastpass rolled out this year we can cut the licenses for ZPA down to probably less than 400 people.

ZIA though, still need a filtering product.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Welcome to the pain train my friend.

Yeah its fine, way cheaper than Zscaler from what I've been told and mostly painless. Their support has sucked, and we've had constant issues with their Mac client but for the most part I'm happy with it.

I don't support it so those issues are invisible to me.

After working out some cert issues and getting some additional urls added it has been invisible to me while eliminating the need for the anyconnect vpn client.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

We're pretty happy with Palo's VPN stuff, but the total Palo "package" we've got with various firewalls and panorama etc. is by no means cheap :haw:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My org offers VPN, but it's a massive hassle to log in and they disabled split tunneling so farrrrrt to that. The upside is they left ssh open so guess what, I do all my work via a socks proxy and a jump host config.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Your VPN is a Piece Of poo poo

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Wibla posted:

We're pretty happy with Palo's VPN stuff, but the total Palo "package" we've got with various firewalls and panorama etc. is by no means cheap :haw:

I've been surprised at how well Global Protect worked for a Palo product.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

CitizenKain posted:

I've been surprised at how well Global Protect worked for a Palo product.

We used that at my previous job at a global company. The four endpoints were 'Europe', 'Asia', 'America' and 'Salt Lake City'. I have no idea either.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

SixFigureSandwich posted:

We used that at my previous job at a global company. The four endpoints were 'Europe', 'Asia', 'America' and 'Salt Lake City'. I have no idea either.

:iiam:

(the customer deploys the endpoints themselves iirc?)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Mormons

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah you couldn't view images of ankles from the SLC endpoint

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Got a request for a 5-pin DIN connector lol

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Someone looking to hook up their DX7?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

xzzy posted:

Someone looking to hook up their DX7?
At least MIDI is still regularly in use.

I've only seen 5-pin din stuff lately for stupid proprietary power bricks.

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

i have no proof of this but I suspect Verizon is starting to slow roll out loving with ZTE cellular chips, or dropping support for them or something in such a way that causes immensely obnoxious technical issues

the lovely cellular reseller I work at has these awful garbage modems that are stripped down bare-minimum functionality boxes and every single one that's running a ZTE chipset has been experiencing godawful random technical issues over the last few months at certain customer locations, ranging from "entire modem decides to power-cycle itself randomly" to "entire modem is bricked and will not boot past the light test and the light that confirms the modem is powered on"

we can't reproduce this issue in warehouse with the power-cycling ones and the bricked ones stay bricked permanently, and the shitboxes are so goddamn stripped down they have basically zero loving logging, but I can't shake the feeling this is somehow related to the ZTE chip ban and the FCC dumping a fuckton of money on businesses to replace ZTE networking devices, and that we're gonna see this expand from "some customer locations" to "all customer locations" if VZW continues this rollout and we are so loving screwed if this is the case

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Gotta return to work tomorrow after having the past 3 weeks off.

I am seething. :mad:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Last week after being off for a bit loving sucked, not going to lie. I am super cranky about this whole working thing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Work was a mistake

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Hughmoris posted:

Gotta return to work tomorrow after having the past 3 weeks off.

I am seething. :mad:

Same except only two weeks. I really should have made it three.

As per usual I've messed up my sleep schedule too so getting up early tomorrow is going to suckkkk

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Work was a mistake

Agreed.

We bought a house a couple of years ago and we're constantly working on it and the various tech stuff. We both work from home, we both spend a lot of time here, so we're just always working on improving various things. That added to a long list of hobbies, I feel like I never have enough time. Every time I'm out of work for a few days I have the time and energy to get so much done. Then, back to the grind, and poo poo just piles up.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Internet Explorer posted:

We bought a house a couple of years ago and we're constantly working on it and the various tech stuff. We both work from home, we both spend a lot of time here, so we're just always working on improving various things. That added to a long list of hobbies, I feel like I never have enough time. Every time I'm out of work for a few days I have the time and energy to get so much done. Then, back to the grind, and poo poo just piles up.

I feel this. I bought a fixer upper a couple years ago and before home ownership I had hobbies, and now I have a house. I spent the majority of the last two weeks restoring three of the ~80yo interior doors and installing and painting trim. It feels impossible to make much progress without taking some time off because I have no desire to start up some project after my work day ends, then when the weekend hits the last thing I wanna do is spend my Saturday sanding a loving door. I definitely feel like Sisyphus at times.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Our most recent big project was redoing the garage. That took the better part of a year. I just finished putting a desk together at 7pm on a Sunday. :negative:

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Stop returning to work everyone, traffic sucks again

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

Pissing me off today: Visio. Why is it such rear end to use? Try to rename a page you're working on? gently caress you all of your lines are hosed up now, good luck fixing that!

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
I have not seen a single diagram making software that didn't suck rear end

I am open to being wrong though

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

miro seems to be ok for what i'm doing with it

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Visio concept of page sizes and then having everything fall apart if you try and move stuff around on the canvas is awful. Let me draw on an endless canvas and then decide how to print it later.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

miro does that

for printing you add frames of whatever size you need then export to pdf/image with each frame being a page

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

As an example I have a Misc Drawings board which has about 6 different distinct drawings on it laid out haphazardly.

Two of those drawings have letter sized frames around them and when I go to export PDF, it's just a 2 page PDF with the contents of those frames.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That sounds like sensible software design

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

The Fool posted:

miro seems to be ok for what i'm doing with it

ok fine I do like Miro but this is the bitching thread and that's too positive

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Sirotan posted:

I feel this. I bought a fixer upper a couple years ago and before home ownership I had hobbies, and now I have a house. I spent the majority of the last two weeks restoring three of the ~80yo interior doors and installing and painting trim. It feels impossible to make much progress without taking some time off because I have no desire to start up some project after my work day ends, then when the weekend hits the last thing I wanna do is spend my Saturday sanding a loving door. I definitely feel like Sisyphus at times.

Most of my vacations in the last few years have taking time off from work so I can do labor intensive work around the house. Nothing like taking a break from work so I can relay bricks in a patio.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Raising a storm at work about not having my own loving devices to test poo poo internally and I'm tired of having to set up our dev's devices to have something that resembles more closely a true QA environment every time we have a release

We have the budget for it, but a couple people are sitting on their asses about it and it is pissing me the gently caress off, like you need to get me a loving iPad and iPhone it takes like 5 minutes, you fuckers. It has been literally 14 months.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Reoxygenation posted:

ok fine I do like Miro but this is the bitching thread and that's too positive

you can still bitch about it being a web app and a subscription service

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

wait its a loving sub service?? nothing is sacred

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Reoxygenation posted:

wait its a loving sub service?? nothing is sacred

https://miro.com/pricing/

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I really hope this HPE acquisition of Juniper doesn't happen

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The manager of our SRE team just announced hiring 4 people from his last org, making all the open positions I was trying to get goons to apply for be a total waste of time. I am super annoyed about this right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I saw your update in the job thread. That's a real bummer. Thanks for trying to help out goons.

And is it just me or is it a bit of a red flag that 4 out of 4 positions were filled from the hiring manager's previous contacts? Seems a bit over the top. From a consolidation of power standpoint, but also from a "doesn't think the hiring practices have produced good hires" (aka current employees suck) perspective.