Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Was there a story behind why Jonas happened? Did the producers and Shanks get into a fight or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

shanks was like "i dont wanna be the sneeze dweeb n e moar" and the producers were like "bless u btich"

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

And the producers just instantly caved once filming started?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

One of the best parts of the episode "200" was the very end, where they're interviewing the cast of Wormhole X-Treme, and the Shanks stand in is this out of touch dumb actor, and it clearly is making fun of Shanks. It's great (the whole thing is of course).

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I don't think there was a fight, I know that Shanks was often very dissatisfied by the role he was given and that they often seemed to be struggling to fit him into storylines and give him something satisfying to act. But then he basically tried to go it alone and find better roles and was met with a ghost town. I personally think in was partly an effort to not be typecast, but also in his head he was like- poo poo even a soap would have a satisfying short and long term character arc.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Ches Neckbeard posted:

And the producers just instantly caved once filming started?

lol idk. he went from basically being a prop to being a god. i think part of the problem is he's not a really good actor tbh

his modes are basically aggressive inquisitive incredulity or like distant semi apathy

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Like to be fair to Shanks, he was really the only guy without a storyline up until that point.

Jack had a long term Carter thing going on and was managing the team and got witty quips but RDA was happy about that.

Teal'c gets the goa'uld stuff to dig into.

Carter is Miss Exposition and also got a lot of one off episodes where weird poo poo happens to her

and then Daniel is kinda like... he gets to be the moral outcrier but he didn't really have an independent storyline or a background that was being excavated.

And in the season where he leaves he does get a few more interesting episodes i think, like they clearly were trying but it was just the nature of the character at that point

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Daniel: OmG jAcK i caNt bEliEve uR exEcuTing [logical military response that you were ordered to do]

Jack: DAMNIT DANIEL DO YOU THINK I WANT TO BE DOING [thing that dooms civilization consisting of like 15 people and some goats]

Daniel: ThErE hAs tO bE aNoTheR wAy

Jack: Daniel go through the stargate and go home

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

He had one of the driving storylines of the first couple of seasons, trying to find his wife.
Then she becomes a Goa'uld, has a child - the Harseis (or however you say it) - and this leads Daniel down the road to Ascension.

That's a pretty good storyline.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

redshirt posted:

He had one of the driving storylines of the first couple of seasons, trying to find his wife.
Then she becomes a Goa'uld, has a child - the Harseis (or however you say it) - and this leads Daniel down the road to Ascension.

That's a pretty good storyline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9oazM3NTH0

this scene pretty much accurately sums up the relative coolness factor of the characters & what they get to do in the show

also shoutout to the 2 people that had to dive out of the way of oneill blasting a hole in the wall bc he was impatient

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

alexandriao posted:

Like to be fair to Shanks, he was really the only guy without a storyline up until that point.

Jack had a long term Carter thing going on and was managing the team and got witty quips but RDA was happy about that.

Teal'c gets the goa'uld stuff to dig into.

Carter is Miss Exposition and also got a lot of one off episodes where weird poo poo happens to her

and then Daniel is kinda like... he gets to be the moral outcrier but he didn't really have an independent storyline or a background that was being excavated.

And in the season where he leaves he does get a few more interesting episodes i think, like they clearly were trying but it was just the nature of the character at that point

tealc has the least plot least lines and least chances to do good acting outside of facial expressions. the writers basically make him a one note character to often. the episodes he writes himself give him more depth and some of t he writers remember that you know daniel shouldnt be omniscient as a linguist so he needs help from tealc sometimes

you can sum up the first half seasons with eye brow raise and the last half with indeed from tealc.

which sucks because imo he is actually the best actor in the show. well 2nd best that gouald who created the jaffa rebellion suicide bombers was the best that guy loving owns.

also jack in the early seasons is the moral compass more often then daniel. he is just snarky about it. the SINCE WHEN? and stealing the metal from the natives and trying to trick the guy so they can keep stealing were both jack
daniel was like this always happens during the native episode. in the mid seasons daniel has the big freak out about killing the replicator creator and then dies 2 episodes later. and while he is ascended lets see what he does he helps jack sort of get out of the prison in a very indirect way and helps tealc and i assume braytack survive the symbiote swap they were doing. then he HELPS ANUBIS DESTROY ABYDOS then he gets punished by the others / oma it isnt super clear who did it for trying to fight anubis. since hes been back he has been the moral outcrier every time though.

snergle fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 7, 2024

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Daniel stuff is hard to make exciting.

Hurry up and translate the thing! shoots gun on full auto only works so many times

Thinking about it him and Carter doing the puzzles on Viking planet was probably the best they did it

Ches Neckbeard fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 7, 2024

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

If I had to rate the big 4 storylines:

Teal'c's is the most satisfying. He betrayed his false god and helped free his people.
Daniel becomes a surrogate Ancient who is the key to defeating Anubis and the Ori.
Carter rises above inherent sexism to save the world, a lot, and become the preeminent expert in.. lots
Jack finds a new family, and not just the SGC, but a larger humanity and even non-humanity. His soul was saved.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Daniel is the cute boy until about s4, that’s why he always gets the romance plots - which now look pretty suspect in todays context.

Then he gets a new haircut and starts lifting and they make him more of a moral compass for the team. He’s great in (best ep) The Other Side.

I had assumed Shanks was trying to make it in Hollywood for s5 and they were like “no, go back to Canada Daniel Jackson of SG-1” so he came back and fineagled an “and…” credit and some more cash.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

He's always the moral compass. From the movie, to episode 1 and on. He's the one always telling Jack to see something from their point of view, or try diplomacy, or providing a nonviolent solution.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
OPEN YOUR drat EYES, French Stewart :mad:

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
- Being the moral compass is pretty poo poo when you've got 2 warrior guys who kill for a living + 1 trained warrior girl who loves mad science
- Having a teeny weeny small pistol when your friends have a 2x full-auto MP5 + 1x Big loving Staff
- The ability to learn and read all languages is awesome but doesn't fit in 45 minutes of screen time
- Being emotional broken means you can't get emotionally fixed, because the fans don't like it any other way - unless you're the bottom bitch in Jack x Dan fanfic (or Teal'C x Dan, or Thor x Dan, or Jolinar x Dan)
- Action sci-fi brings more ratings, and you can definitely feel that s4/s5 was leaning towards more military/airforce-y stuff
- The transition from a 90s longer haircut to a shorter 00s haircut is difficult for any actor

edit: which episode is worse, Emancipation or Spirits (Native American episode)

KajiTheMelonMan fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 8, 2024

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

spirits honestly

at least emancipation doesnt contain some dude telling us why the crow is angry squawking

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
The strangest thing about the series without Daniel is that he's still popping up loads and voicing Thor too

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Everyone called Jackson the moral compass of the group but he was all for heartlessly killing the Goa'uld, our kind and just gods, so how moral could he really be, huh?

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

dr_rat posted:

Everyone called Jackson the moral compass of the group but he was all for heartlessly killing the Goa'uld, our kind and just gods, so how moral could he really be, huh?

don't forget the time he literally took over the USA and nuked Moscow

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

don't forget the time he literally took over the USA and nuked Moscow

It was just a dream bro.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

drat this thread might make me get an amazon prime subscription for SG1

i used to have all the episodes on a hard drive but now that its 2024 i basically have video games on my hard drive and thats it

it feels kinda weird not knowing how to pirate

Worf fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 8, 2024

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

one of the things that stands out the most about SG1 to me is how good the music is, not even just the main theme or the battle music or whatever, but all the little musical cues you hear, particularly during the beginnings of episodes or whatever. i loved how the music would evolve into a scene of jack doing something dumb and then it would be SERIOUS TIME and the military percussion would come in

**mellow strings playing "stargate command theme**

exterior shot of cheyenne mountain (covered truck goes in hole hehehe)

cut to embarkation room **more mellow SGC theme**

*Music gets kinda flutey*

Jack: blows bubbles in his milk while daniel explains very serious archaeology thing whcih everybody else is paying attention to

OFFWORLD ACTIVATION

*military percussion*

Worf fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 8, 2024

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

FFT posted:

I enjoyed the Jonas fast track, and how he tried to relate to Teal'c with Teal'c interpreting it as he did.

It was also kinda hosed up how as soon as Michael Shanks got back in Jonas disappeared.

Agreed on all counts. Judge's read of "are you proposing an alien conspiracy!?" is just perfect.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Worf posted:

drat this thread might make me get an amazon prime subscription for SG1

i used to have all the episodes on a hard drive but now that its 2024 i basically have video games on my hard drive and thats it

it feels kinda weird not knowing how to pirate

It's on Comet TV Monday - Friday 12PMEST to 4!

I WFH so I love having it on in the background. It's really re-fired up my love of the show.

I think it really holds up to, almost all the effects. The first few episodes are a bit stiff, but after that it's gold.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

yea i was thinking that it looked really good even on that poo poo quality youtube video i linked from the pilot earlier

tbf most of the effects come down to firing blanks, a shiny pool of water, and a laser stick with smoke

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I didn’t mind Jonas but he was not as good as a fit with the team. I’d be happy enough if they kept him as a recurring a few more times, weird actor aside.

I wrapped up s8 just recently. Cool finale and the mobius double header was a fun bonus. Amanda tapping’s nerd acting was perfect, even down to holding her sleeves shut as she walked.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i checked out comet tv schedule and legit this is the next episode and i feel betrayed

at least it isnt the broca divide

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Jonas going back to his home planet and running a steampunk version of SGC with his government, crossing paths with SG-1 every now and then.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

well why not posted:

Daniel is the cute boy until about s4, that’s why he always gets the romance plots - which now look pretty suspect in todays context.

Then he gets a new haircut and starts lifting and they make him more of a moral compass for the team. He’s great in (best ep) The Other Side.

I had assumed Shanks was trying to make it in Hollywood for s5 and they were like “no, go back to Canada Daniel Jackson of SG-1” so he came back and fineagled an “and…” credit and some more cash.

Pierre Bernard just couldn't sway Hollywood the way he had hoped.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

I hit Spirits in my rewatch last week and holy poo poo it's a n awful episode. I'm not going to say Emancipation is good, but Spirits is so much worse.

That said, neither comes close to how lovely and racist Code of Honor is.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Thinking about it, there's no episodes of SG1 I don't like. Sure, some aren't as strong as others, but I enjoy even Spirts or the Mongol one.

Speaking of good ones, S2E15, "The Fifth Race".

They set up the entire Ancient storyline right here. Also things like 8 chevrons to go to another Galaxy, and that O'Neill has something special about him, which later turns into "The Ancient gene".

Also has that sweet ending of being on the Asgard planet.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Steam has a sale and one of the games title cards caught my eye Exogate Initiative - reviews suggest this is highly unfinished and it's been in EA for several months so I'm not recommending anyone buy this.

But this is clearly an SGC simulator.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

pixaal posted:

Steam has a sale and one of the games title cards caught my eye Exogate Initiative - reviews suggest this is highly unfinished and it's been in EA for several months so I'm not recommending anyone buy this.

But this is clearly an SGC simulator.

I haven't bought it since it's EA, but from the videos I've seen of people reviewing it, it very much is Stargate Tycoon

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i tried that stargate timekeepers demo

it was less than mediocre

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Worf posted:

i tried that stargate timekeepers demo

it was less than mediocre
Neat enough premise perhaps, but as soon as I got to the first bit of gameplay I went "nope."

pixaal posted:

[exogate initiative]
Why does it look like an Evil Genius clone lmao

stringless fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 8, 2024

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

- Having a teeny weeny small pistol when your friends have a 2x full-auto MP5 + 1x Big loving Staff
they gave him a big boy gun eventually, i distinctly remember that episode from season 10 where they accidentally take a museum full of random people hostage and daniel's contribution is to try negotiating, immediately get tased by the cops, and then spend the rest of the episode waving his gun at the hostages and passive aggressively complaining at them for not taking him seriously

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

FFT posted:

Neat enough premise perhaps, but as soon as I got to the first bit of gameplay I went "nope."

I dunno why they went top-down RTS when "play as an SG team" is basically perfect for squad-based shooter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

A Stargate themed Lethal Company where you have to gate in, gather as much goa'uld, Ancient, and other tech, while being attack by hostile soldiers and alien monsters, and gate out.

The DHD is an unskippable minigame