Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

haveblue posted:

There was a Superman game that used a similar idea- supes was invulnerable, but Metropolis had a health bar you had to protect

Yeah, Superman Returns. They even had plans for an unlockable Bizarro mode where you could destroy the city instead but apparently it got nixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

ilmucche posted:

The first one is pretty good too, looking forward to finishing it and getting to the second one

I played the first one a couple years ago and had a good time. This one seems like it has the same charm, but improves on the game design and looks to be about twice as long. Definitely recommending it from what I've seen so far through the second dungeon.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, Superman Returns. They even had plans for an unlockable Bizarro mode where you could destroy the city instead but apparently it got nixed.

That made it into the game as far as I remember

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xELujJWVIpo

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Nameless Pete posted:

Saints Row (2022): An NPC tells you that this next one is going to be a stealth mission. Keep it niiiiice and quiet. Don't let anybody spot you.

*Load screen*

*Player spawns in a monster truck*

"Nah, I was just loving with you. Go as loud as you want!"

This is how you do this sort of thing. You don't have characters say stuff like "oh no a sewer level, those suck!" and then force the player to do a sewer level.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Like a Dragon Gaiden: the penultimate arena challenge rules, it’s six rounds of combat against a robot, but after round 1 the robot’s face becomes a kind of crappy digital render of the final boss of Yakuza 5, and the arena background and OST change to the final fight of Yakuza 5, and holy poo poo it’s fighting like the final boss of 5. and you fight the bosses of the previous four Yakuza games in the same way, culminating in a robot emulating your the final boss of the first game. Felt like a real full circle thing.

Also, Like A Dragon Infinite Wealth demo:
- Kiryu just has a limit break mode where he ignores the conventions of turn-based combat and gouges huge chunks of life off a boss’s health bar by punching them in real time.
- they improved the combat in general from Like A Dragon 7, you can move people around and near objects, see your area of effects on attacks, and moving someone near something you could use in combat before like a chair means they just pick it up instead of relying on luck now

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

There's a part in Cyberpunk where there's a scene in another American city. You can only see outside the window of the apartment you're in, but I found it funny that outside is just, like, a regular city. Some three story brick buildings, sidewalks lined with trees, basically what you'd see these days. Couldn't imagine people wearing rubber bikinis with green hair walking up and down the road there. Even the middle-class areas of Night City will have, like, a run-down building filled with bulletholes and a cracked parking lot across the street.

Really makes Night City seem like a loving wacky-rear end place, you can really see why it would draw certain people to it.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Everything to do with Mr Door in Alan Wake 2, especially Herald of Darkness

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I picked up Craftopia again out of curiosity to see how it was now that they swapped it all to a single open world, and it's actually surprisingly fun now.

They really doubled down on copying BoTW, even totally ripping off the "walk out of the cave onto a ledge with a sweeping vista of the world" intro :laugh:

It's still really janky, but in the charming and fun way where it leans into it. I'm currently dressed like a Bloodborne reject, running around a Japanese island archipelago, shooting off-brand bokoblins with an M1 Garand while looking for new interesting mobs to throw pokeballs at, and it just feels fun. All the text being obviously machine-translated from japanese kind of adds to the charm.

The new open world is surprisingly pretty too.

My favorite stupid thing so far is that the pokeballs work on everything. Monsters, bosses, animals, and even NPC villagers in towns. There's even an achievement for capturing Anubis (who is the NPC who gives you health/stamina/mp upgrades) in one.

edit: Fall damage is a thing and can kill you pretty easy, but if you fall far enough you go into a skydiving animation and land with a superhero landing that negates all fall damage :allears:

Icedude has a new favorite as of 12:30 on Jan 4, 2024

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Kitfox88 posted:

I love when they have little interludes during discussions and love even more when the NPC has special dialogue for it. Always snort when Barry asks Bastion where his compassion for his fellow man is and he just goes "oh sorry boss guess I dropped it."
Yeah the little chats are one of the best parts of the game. They also have additional conversation trees depending on who's in your party! Steroid and Grizzly had a little back and forth about a recent fight. Steroid was accused of taking his shirt off to oil up his muscles mid fight. He replies, well yes this is an important part of combat and anyways I saw you take your shirt off as well just to show off. Grizzly tries to downplay it like it was because he thought he got shot. At the end Kalyna cheerfully chimes in out of nowhere with "oh yes, I had quite a good look!".

Relations between mercs can also change over time. At first Grizzly has some issues with women being in combat alongside him, but after enough time seeing lady mercs (Buns and Kalyna in my case) bullseye enemies, he'll acknowledge that they're pretty alright.

Zero_Grade has a new favorite as of 20:09 on Jan 4, 2024

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Morpheus posted:

This is how you do this sort of thing. You don't have characters say stuff like "oh no a sewer level, those suck!" and then force the player to do a sewer level.

The people who makes Saints Row games are some of the few that I would trust to find a way to make sewer levels interesting, if not fun. Either that, or just have it be "Oh no, the person we were chasing escaped into the sewers! ...well, we got a car, a trunk full of C4, and know which way he was going" and you proceed to just drop bombs down every manhole.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Volition is dead now, and saints row killed them

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

jokes posted:

Volition is dead now, and saints row killed them

Embracer killed them, they've been killing off a lot of their acquired studios and would probably have done the same to Volition anyway since their saudi deal fell through. As much as the people claiming that SR2022 had the same tone as the modern GTA are wrong it probably wouldn't have made any difference if they had shut up.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, former goon and Volition employee ChipCheezum confirmed that it was actually selling decently enough that it would have broken even eventually.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I bought it on the steam sale and was kicking myself for waiting so long. Though some of that is because it was EGS exclusive and I know when I buy stuff on EGS I always forget it exists and never launch it so I was gonna wait a year anyway

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I bought it on the steam sale and was kicking myself for waiting so long. Though some of that is because it was EGS exclusive and I know when I buy stuff on EGS I always forget it exists and never launch it so I was gonna wait a year anyway

did they ever fix coop? Last time I tried to play coop the game would break pretty routinely, it was super frustrating

The game wasn't bad in a concept sense, but the release was apocalyptically buggy on a scale I honestly haven't seen regularly. Like even in singleplayer it would frequently just stop spawning anything and leave you in a zombie world, or missions would just straight up soft lock pretty regularly

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Since I know you like my opinions of weird old games I figured I'd post a new thing I'm trying, reviews of games I've found interesting enough to talk about. This one is old PS2 flight combat game "They Came From the Skies": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJP-_4Zqf7g

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tunic: on a replay, I really appreciate the simple brilliance of (lategame spoilers) having a hidden button sequence meant to unlock lategame doors that’s entirely meant for sequence breaking on replays, since once you know what the “code” is, you don’t even need to have it written down to memorize it.

And one of the first doors you can open this way is an item for a normally kind of crappy accessory that makes your attacks burn at the cost of making your HP set at 1, which is kinda crap…until you realize that you can just skip the earlygame treck for the sword by using it to burn down bushes you’d normally need a sword to cut away with just the basic stick, which is fully intended since your HP goes back to normal when you take the fire attack accessory off. There’s even a second sword later on for people who sequence broke.

I should look up speed runs of this game once I actually beat it, they must look insane.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
in The Talos Principle 2 they've really improved on the hint system from the original.

In The Talos Principle 1 you could get some hints by getting to the last of the three hub worlds, taking an axe from the last world to a boarded up doorway in each hub, then solving a number of small puzzles to solve one larger one, which would result in you getting ONE hint for the rest of the game. You could only get three hints per game by doing this, and the hints could be less than useful for the puzzles you could use them for.

In 2 instead each of the 12 hub worlds has two collectable tokens, one usually on a marked path that is out of the way and another is more hidden, and each token can be used to entirely skip a puzzle. And, crucially, if you use one to skip a puzzle you can then solve the puzzle to free that token back up. The game will even put a little marker on the signs in a hub you've used a token on to show where it is in use, so you can more easily go back for them later.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It was really weird how much work it took to get a single hint in the first game. I was able to solve all the actual puzzles without looking them up, but I had to use a guide for some of the many and very tedious tetromino grids you had to do to get one hint for one of those puzzles.

I also prefer the way the stars are handled in the second game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hel posted:

Embracer killed them, they've been killing off a lot of their acquired studios and would probably have done the same to Volition anyway since their saudi deal fell through. As much as the people claiming that SR2022 had the same tone as the modern GTA are wrong it probably wouldn't have made any difference if they had shut up.

Awww dang, I was so hopeful that a games company was mildly rude to their fans for two tweets and then the fans united and burned the company to the ground. The real truth is so much less heartwarming.

Althalin
Nov 19, 2019

Putting the ham in Chamon
Pork Pro
I picked up Heretic's Fork in the Steam Sale, and so far have been impressed. The premise is that you're a new-hire manager in Hell, and your main responsibility is keeping the sinners from escaping. Immediately, it's made clear that Hell is as bureaucratic and frustrating as you'd imagine; you routinely get spam emails (some of which contain malware), your superiors are contradictory and demeaning; and your computer has a Clippy-like AI assistant (creatively named "Klippy"). It's a charming little tower-defense game with deckbuilding, and has been (not unfairly) compared to Vampire Survivors. It's got nice chunky pixels, a synthwave soundtrack, and is generally a good killer of time.

The main "little thing" is a spoiler, inasmuch a game like this can have a plot:

It's revealed that your demonic paperclip AI is, in fact, the digitalized consciousness of your predecessor.

You might rightly assume that this doesn't bode well for you, and believe it or not you're correct. After finishing the game with 6 different characters, you get access to a special cutscene that "analyzes your behaviour," creates an artificial consciousness, and "generates and image" for you based on said behaviour.

Uh, n=1 (and sure, demographic stats are what they are) but I am in fact a beard-having dude with glasses. So take that for what you will.

After all that, you unlock yourself as a character to play. No, really:

Huh. Turns out that being digitally scanned into a computer in Hell has a few perks. The extra energy and draw should be instantly recognizable to deckbuilder-veterans as a solid buff.

Finally, the last little thing: your energy is represented by little gems which stack nicely together right over your draw pile. Most characters start each turn with 6 energy, and see this:

"You," the recently-uploaded consciousness, start with 7 energy, and see this:

"I" indeed.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

A Plague Tale: Requiem has a photo mode with a huge range of movement and no boundaries, meaning you can noclip around at all times and check out all the secrets of level design. It even works in cutscenes! I find it endlessly entertaining

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Even though it's kinda janky at times, one of the great strengths of Rogue Trader is that it really gets the tone of the setting. Which means that it lets you play as the absolutely smuggest gently caress imaginable, since you basically occupy a role of absolute highest nobility in the universe.

For example, every time you meet a new character of note, instead of simply introducing yourself you can have your trusty seneschal handle all introductions for you. When there's a a dialogue choice to kill/execute somebody, you can either do it yourself or simply delegate it to an appropriate party member.

Just now I ended up confronting another bad guy who is wreaking havoc across one of my planets. Just as he launches into his whole speech about why he's doing it, one of the available responses is basically "I'll give you five minutes to make your case, then I'll condemn you to death anyway". It goes back and forth for a bit, and sure enough at the end another available response is "[look at watch] Alright, that was five minutes, I'll kill you now". :allears:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Abelard, announce me.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Bussamove posted:

Abelard, announce me.

You keep Abelard in your party because a sturdy frontline combatant is a sound tactical decision.

I keep Abelard in my party because I like making him introduce me to people.

We are not the same.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Really enjoying everything about Sleeping Dogs this time round but especially the scale. It's a moderately sized open world with plenty to do and see but it doesn't feel so big that it's intimidating or off putting. It feels like a handcrafted game world rather than a "please play this game forever" content mill.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I had fun with sleeping dogs but the game would crash every ten minutes so it was functionally unplayable (pc)

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Sleeping dogs is an amazing game and should be goty 2023.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

ilmucche posted:

Sleeping dogs is an amazing game and should be goty 2024.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
It really is the perfect balance of ridiculous and gritty drama.

Was it made by the true crime team? It feels a bit like them

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ZeusCannon posted:

It really is the perfect balance of ridiculous and gritty drama.

Was it made by the true crime team? It feels a bit like them

It started as True Crime Hong Kong.

I loved the characters in that game. Winston was such a loving tool at first and I don’t think I would have liked him half as much without that, the writers absolutely got that when you change your opinion of a character it makes you feel way more positively about them than if you liked them from the start.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
The undead dlc was great as well, it had the hopping vampires

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I watched 20 minutes of Baalorlord playing Slay the Spire because he was posted in the PYF Legends thread, felt my third eye open, and proceeded to win my first A1 heart kill with a Silent Shiv/Draw/Discard deck while watching him complete the rest of his Ironclad/Curse run

The little thing is that one of the mods that I downloaded is "everything is the same but u backflip on backflip" and it turns out that, by the time I got to the Heart fight, I backflipped a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqc_KzDzY4E

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Lil Gator is a game that surprised me with how excellent its writing is, I was not expecting to laugh out loud as much as I did while playing.

At one point you tell someone that's afraid of heights that you've been playing (the imaginary fantasy game that all the kids in the park are being recruited into) without any fall damage or health points at all, which calms them down enough to join you. There is, of course, no fall damage or health system in the game.

One of my favourite interactions is when you're trying to purchase ice cream: first, your little guy can't understand why the vendor won't take the ripped confetti that they've been using for currency the whole game. Then they have to text a friend to see if they have cash, then they have to add another friend to the chat to see if they have cash. Between the three of them they only have $2.95, and need three bucks, so the older sister is added to the chat and asks incredulously "You want me to wire you a nickel?" She ends up just giving her little sibling six bucks so they can get two ice creams. It's all adorably written with so much heart, and it made me look forward to every interaction.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Sleeping Dogs lets you wear custom outfits during cutscenes. That leads to funny situations like this scene where gangsters are interrogating Winston to see if he's an undercover cop.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

C'mon guys, would a real cop be dumb enough to wear a cop uniform undercover??

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Wait is the slab of beef a character?

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Sleeping Dogs lets you wear custom outfits during cutscenes. That leads to funny situations like this scene where gangsters are interrogating Winston to see if he's an undercover cop.

Winston is the guy with the golden Desert Eagle. Wei Shen is the guy being interrogated, who is totally not an undercover cop.

Content: I like that in the original version of Sleeping Dogs (before the DLC and Director's Cut version), you'd just barely have enough cop xp to max out the cop levels right around the time in the story that Wei Shen loses trust in his fellow cops and starts siding with his Triad buddies more. It's good gameplay/story integration.

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 05:05 on Jan 9, 2024

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Fifty Farts posted:

Winston is the guy with the golden Desert Eagle. Wei Shen is the guy being interrogated, who is totally not an undercover cop.

Wei can truthfully say that he is not an undercover cop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Meowywitch posted:

Wait is the slab of beef a character?

Yes, his name is Winston and he deserved better