Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

"Engineers wouldn't let this happen" is always a cop out because engineers did let this happen. Management is 100% to blame for making and implementing the decisions that kill people, but a ton of experts still recognized a fatal flaw in MCAS and weren't shouting from the rooftops about it. Not becoming a whisteblower isn't really in the same ballpark as being the person who literally kills for money, but at a minimum it means you don't get to say that something like this wouldn't happen on your watch because it did.
what if we individualism systemic problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

Not becoming a whisteblower isn't really in the same ballpark as being the person who literally kills for money, but at a minimum it means you don't get to say that something like this wouldn't happen on your watch because it did.

it’s not easy to tell large organizations they are wrong and that no you cannot do that way. sometimes it takes years of losing the same fight over and over again. and sometimes winning means you’ll never be allowed to be there again.

so back in the day when the rules were new a vessel operating company decided it wanted to load barges of grain on deck athwartships on a vessel, with the bow and the stern of each barge hanging off the port and starboard sides respectively.

this is of course a terrible idea. the surveyor in the field failed the arrangement and advised that he wouldn’t budge and that it couldn’t be allowed. the vessel operators went around him directly to coast guard, presented their engineers calculations and Coast Guard allowed it to sail.

The barges failed underway and broke apart at the deck edge. after that Coast Guard forced charters to listen to the not for profit that was approving grain stability.

I have a colleague that picked a similar fight decades later about cargo overhanging a deck edge. he won but that line never let him on their vessels ever again.

there is an immense amount of stress in being the focal point of those types of fights, even in the best case where you know the organization and the law and government has your back and that you have job security to be correct even if it pisses everybody off.

to do it repeatedly something almost has to be wrong with one. it takes overriding extremely strong social pressures. a lot of the people that do it drink.

the vast majority of people simply just leave situations like that. that’s the easy way to spot an organization about to gently caress up tremendously. good people flee when they figure out what is actually going to happen.

that happened at Boeing before the Max.

Bar Ran Dun has issued a correction as of 21:02 on Jan 7, 2024

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Thoguh posted:

Spirit in this case is Spirit Aerospace, the subcontractor that makes the actual airplane bodies for Boeing commercial planes.

they make all of the main sections and join them for 737 and ship via rail car. for other programs they deliver fully (787) or partially assembled fwd sections (767/777).

maybe ironic or not, spirit aero is formerly Boeing Wichita and was sold off in 2006 and I'm certain it didn't improve the quality of their products or the final product

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Canned Sunshine posted:

So you took it as the computer test, and not as the prior scantron or written form exams? Prior to the computer-only exam, it was scantron but you still didn't get partial credit for working out the answers in the PE exam book. They pretty much recycled those... The only two main exams I'm currently aware of that still assign partial credit for properly-worked solutions are the Seismic and Structural exams that have their own 8-hour test window, and I think those are still written-only?

Because honestly from what you said, I think they would have had the same problem regardless of whether it was the prior scantron form, the written exam form of 20+ years ago, or the current computer multiple-choice form. And I only say that because even in the past, when it was purely written solution with boxed answer, if the answer was wrong, they'd go to partial credit for a properly-worked approach, but that still depended on having interpreted the question correctly to begin with.

Yes - I took the test in November 2023. I didn't actually finish my engineering degree until 2019. I started college when I was 30, and had medical issues I didn't understand at the time that affected my cognition and focus. I'm definitely an outlier in many ways.

I think there are some questions that might provide partial credit? If so I only got two or three in the entire 8 hour long test when I took it.

I admit I'm exaggerating and also being a curmudgeon, but there's a certain culture and pride that is lost when these status symbols are turned into a glorified A+ computer certification. The best engineers in my opinion aren't the ones who are good at business, budget, expense tracking, and test taking. Maybe an engineering manager who likes that side can get good at that, but at this point in my career I'd be ecstatic if I had to work with someone who struggles with English but is also the type to pull out his calculator and make sure his designers are doing things right, and I'd accept that more time would be spent communicating and understanding with them. Most folks have a terrible grasp of technical spoken English nowadays anyway.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

I have been advised that if you use the official mcdonalds app to do your ordering it will be much cheaper

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
It is

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Ordering groceries through the various stores apps also gives discounts

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

comedyblissoption posted:

what if we individualism systemic problems

That's the opposite of what I said though

To be clear I am saying that you can make subject matter experts say or do just about anything if there's enough monetary incentive and/or social/organizational pressure. The entire COVID era is pretty much defined by healthcare professionals selling themselves out to the detriment of public health. You can staff an entire organization with engineers and they'll still be under the same top-down pressure from external stakeholders like shareholders, because that's the world we live in.

Paradoxish has issued a correction as of 21:22 on Jan 7, 2024

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Subway used to do $6 for any sub through the app. It must have ended not too long ago but it was my staple for far too long. Just deleted the app though because subway was already pushing it at $6 for a sub

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Thoguh posted:

Spirit in this case is Spirit Aerospace, the subcontractor that makes the actual airplane bodies for Boeing commercial planes.

I guess Boeing just takes them and uses them without QA, or at least we’re supposed to believe that

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Mr Hootington posted:

Ordering groceries through the various stores apps also gives discounts

or just shop at WinCo

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

Five
Five dollar
Five dollar footlong

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

That's the opposite of what I said though

To be clear I am saying that you can make subject matter experts say or do just about anything if there's enough monetary incentive and/or social/organizational pressure. The entire COVID era is pretty much defined by healthcare professionals selling themselves out to the detriment of public health. You can staff an entire organization with engineers and they'll still be under the same top-down pressure from external stakeholders like shareholders, because that's the world we live in.
ah yeah thats fair

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Raere posted:

Five
Five dollar
Five dollar soft drink

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I interned at Spirit when I was at school, so if it really is a Spirit issue I'd be curious to read the writeup.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

a single can of soda is like 5x what i used to cost like 15 years ago. its super cool.

i dont rly drink soda anymore but sometimes i love one with some lovely chinese takeout and mannn

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

'merican engineers probably can't math

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Scarabrae posted:

I have been advised that if you use the official mcdonalds app to do your ordering it will be much cheaper

someone was saying the same can be true at target through online ordering and pickup

Griz
May 21, 2001

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

someone was saying the same can be true at target through online ordering and pickup

walmart does some bullshit now where items will randomly be $20-30 cheaper for pickup than off the shelf

e: also if you want an unlocked phone those are online only, the ones in store are carrier-locked

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
damaged walls, planes getting blown out

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

galagazombie posted:

The MBA and it’s consequences, have been a disaster for the human race…

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

mawarannahr posted:

'merican engineers probably can't math

Too busy thinking about burger instead of barometer!

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Bar Ran Dun posted:

it’s not easy to tell large organizations they are wrong and that no you cannot do that way. sometimes it takes years of losing the same fight over and over again. and sometimes winning means you’ll never be allowed to be there again.
Quoted for truth.

In some ways, I feel lucky that it took until my late 40s to encounter this as a computer toucher. On the other hand, if I had experienced it earlier, I suspect that by now it would be much less stressful.

Capital has basically trained me to live by the motto 'as long as my paycheck clears, im up for whatever stupid idea management has".

I have zero incentive to rock any boats. The few times I've been tested to make the slightest wave, I've been swiftly reminded that I'm not paid to think. My job is to only shape myself to the cog-shape of the day.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Cheesus posted:

Quoted for truth.

In some ways, I feel lucky that it took until my late 40s to encounter this as a computer toucher. On the other hand, if I had experienced it earlier, I suspect that by now it would be much less stressful.

Capital has basically trained me to live by the motto 'as long as my paycheck clears, im up for whatever stupid idea management has".

I have zero incentive to rock any boats. The few times I've been tested to make the slightest wave, I've been swiftly reminded that I'm not paid to think. My job is to only shape myself to the cog-shape of the day.

it's a lot easier to live this way when you aren't responsible for anything that can kill or hurt people

which to be honest is why im in a completely nonsense vibes industry

dunno how people go into work every day doing a job thats actually important in modern corporate America, must feel like you're being eaten by rats from the inside out

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
I write software for sales people, it's the most useless job in the world.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

During my career so far I’ve only spent 6-ish months working on something that has literal life-and-death safety implications (FAA certification testing, at Boeing of all places, lmao). I will never work on something like that ever again.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
nooo i slept through the nixon shock page

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

sleep through more pages

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
what an ill-mannered post

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

The Oldest Man posted:

it's a lot easier to live this way when you aren't responsible for anything that can kill or hurt people

which to be honest is why im in a completely nonsense vibes industry

dunno how people go into work every day doing a job thats actually important in modern corporate America, must feel like you're being eaten by rats from the inside out

I'm this person.

Without going into too much detail the CFR governing manufacturing is very general and vague and it's up to organizations to decide what is compliant. This leads to subjective opinions ruling the day in endless fights about semantics and the definition of specific words.

After fighting for 12-24 months with dozens of meetings and hundreds of emails on several industry standard changes with people who just refuse to listen I recently broke down and started dog walking them in meetings with elaborate pre-prepared takedowns that have citations and references. Enough evidence no person would be able to disagree.

The executives are now mad that I am violating decorum and are threatening to fire me. They don't care why fights are happening they just want them to stop and I'm just the person starting fights. C-Suite doesn't seem capable of looking at the context of the situation and are jumping into the fray against me making me literally one person against the world trying to do the right thing with all of the evidence on my side.

I think I'm going to quit and go dig holes because It's a literal loving nightmare. I work in an episode of the twilight zone and I honestly imagine this is what hell is like.

Rectal Death Alert has issued a correction as of 23:56 on Jan 7, 2024

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Rectal Death Alert posted:

I'm this person.

Without going into too much detail the CFR governing manufacturing is very general and vague and it's up to organizations to decide what is compliant. This leads to subjective opinions ruling the day in endless fights about semantics and the definition of specific words.

After fighting for 12-24 months with dozens of meetings and hundreds of emails on several industry standard changes with people who just refuse to listen I recently broke down and started dog walking them in meetings with elaborate pre-prepared takedowns that have citations and references. Enough evidence no person would be able to disagree.

The executives are now mad that I am violating decorum and are threatening to fire me. They don't care why fights are happening they just want them to stop and I'm just the person starting fights. C-Suite doesn't seem capable of looking at the context of the situation and are jumping into the fray against me making me literally one person against the world trying to do the right thing with all of the evidence on my side.

I think I'm going to quit and go dig holes because It's a literal loving nightmare. I work in an episode of the twilight zone and I honestly imagine this is what hell is like.

They don't want to know the evidence because knowing that evidence, or it being documented that they were told, undermines the normally solid defense of "I didn't know" if they ever face an consequences or investigation for something horrible that happened as a result of the thing they didn't want to do

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

bedpan posted:

They don't want to know the evidence because knowing that evidence, or it being documented that they were told, undermines the normally solid defense of "I didn't know" if they ever face an consequences or investigation for something horrible that happened as a result of the thing they didn't want to do

That does happen but not in these circumstances. They aren't even costly or time consuming changes. It's just someone with veto power doesn't like the idea of a simple industry standard practice.

The executives ignore the evidence because the effort they are willing to expend is to get mad they have to intervene in a fight and just demand there are no more fights to intervene in.

It's like the four lights episode of TNG. The only way you can be successful is to convince yourself you see five.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I'm this person.

Sounds like someone hasn't heard the good news about number over here

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
this of course leads to poo poo like "you should feel empowered to do whatever you need, don't tell me the details, oh but i need it tomorrow"

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Yeah, a lot of people in those situations either choose the path of willful ignorance or they start predisposed to already being convinced of their rightness and use that as a justification to go with the flow ("I was right, but I'm not making the decisions"). There's definitely a bias towards the latter in STEM fields so you get a lot of smug assholes who go right along with things they know are wrong as long as they don't feel that they are personally wrong.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

I burned out on something similar and ended up building decks with a friend for the summer/fall. Best months of my entire career, if only it paid as well as corporate. :sigh:

An older engineer friend later told me "you can lead a horse to water, but you'll have to shoot it to get it in" and I think about that whenever conflict occurs now.

Car Hater has issued a correction as of 00:14 on Jan 8, 2024

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

ProfessorBooty posted:

Yes - I took the test in November 2023. I didn't actually finish my engineering degree until 2019. I started college when I was 30, and had medical issues I didn't understand at the time that affected my cognition and focus. I'm definitely an outlier in many ways.

I think there are some questions that might provide partial credit? If so I only got two or three in the entire 8 hour long test when I took it.

I admit I'm exaggerating and also being a curmudgeon, but there's a certain culture and pride that is lost when these status symbols are turned into a glorified A+ computer certification. The best engineers in my opinion aren't the ones who are good at business, budget, expense tracking, and test taking. Maybe an engineering manager who likes that side can get good at that, but at this point in my career I'd be ecstatic if I had to work with someone who struggles with English but is also the type to pull out his calculator and make sure his designers are doing things right, and I'd accept that more time would be spent communicating and understanding with them. Most folks have a terrible grasp of technical spoken English nowadays anyway.

I passed the PE in 2017, before my subject was converted to a computer test. Was fully multiple choice back then, too. No partial credit. Very much a "how good at standardized testing" situation besides testing fairly fundamental stuff.

The skills needed to pass the exam are almost entirely different from those needed to be a good PE. The primary skills you need to learn are checking your work, putting your foot down when you need more time, and telling a manager to go gently caress themselves in corporatespeak when they tell you to rubber stamp something.

It's also important to know when the battle isn't worth fighting. If it won't hurt anyone I consider management perfectly free to waste as much money as they want.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Not a Children posted:

I passed the PE in 2017, before my subject was converted to a computer test. Was fully multiple choice back then, too. No partial credit. Very much a "how good at standardized testing" situation besides testing fairly fundamental stuff.

The skills needed to pass the exam are almost entirely different from those needed to be a good PE. The primary skills you need to learn are checking your work, putting your foot down when you need more time, and telling a manager to go gently caress themselves in corporatespeak when they tell you to rubber stamp something.

It's also important to know when the battle isn't worth fighting. If it won't hurt anyone I consider management perfectly free to waste as much money as they want.
I think i did it in 2015 or 16 but yeah same. tbf I was kinda surprised I passed since i didn't study but I'm innately pretty good at multiple-choice standardized tests by defacto.

that reminds me, I really gotta take my GE next year. there's really no reason for me to do it other than bragging right, but i should get on it before my brain deteriorates even further.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
since economics = consumption, just fyi aliexpress is having their winter sale in about 8 hours. it's basically if Prime Day didn't suck entire rear end. going to pickup a TS101 soldering iron, some insanely powerful flashlights, some powerbanks, and another 100-pack of melamine sponges. also if anyone needs a 4TB NVME, they've got em for $25. if you want your cheap junk, might as well get 'em directly from the source for 1/2 the price of amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truniht
Jan 10, 2019

Paradoxish posted:

"Engineers wouldn't let this happen" is always a cop out because engineers did let this happen. Management is 100% to blame for making and implementing the decisions that kill people, but a ton of experts still recognized a fatal flaw in MCAS and weren't shouting from the rooftops about it. Not becoming a whisteblower isn't really in the same ballpark as being the person who literally kills for money, but at a minimum it means you don't get to say that something like this wouldn't happen on your watch because it did.

I don’t fully agree with this take. Large institutions such as Boeing encourage siloing such that most of the engineers who are directly involved in the MCAS would never know let alone be able to call out what’s wrong with it.

Boeing can make good planes, but they’ve been wholly taken over by private equity firms who are trying to take their own practices to engineering trade studies. Private equity firms have no business owning critical manufacturing in the US.